Requirements For Obtaining And Renewing A 2 Year Driving Licence

Rimmer

Is there any reason to have a Thai license if you never drive?

I've been here 4 years now and am thinking of letting my 2 year license expire. I have not driven or motorbiked once in Thailand (I live centrally, have a bicycle and rent a ride on rare occasions).

My USA license is expired. I of course have a valid US passport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Is there any reason to have a Thai license if you never drive?

I've been here 4 years now and am thinking of letting my 2 year license expire. I have not driven or motorbiked once in Thailand (I live centrally, have a bicycle and rent a ride on rare occasions).

My USA license is expired. I of course have a valid US passport.

When you say "and rent a ride...." I presume you mean hiring a car and driver?

If you let the licence expire but decide in the future to drive for some reason or want to hire a car in another country you are going to be a bit screwed. I also find it useful for ID as I do not as a rule carry round my passport.

Only you can judge if those or other reasons are relevant to you.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How much money does the 5 year DL cost? I have a 2 year one expiring in 1 week.

Also, what is the easiest way obtain a "Certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau"

Immigration is a few km away but my embassy requires a BKK trip. Not sure how to get immigration to issue a certified letter of address.

On 9/28/2018 at 3:30 PM, johng said:

You can renew a short while before expiry (maybe 90 days ? not sure) and upto a year after expiry.

Just to be clear, are you saying this for the Thai DL? I have a 2 year one and don't need the 5 year DL immediately (no vehicle). But my 2 year one expires in 1 week.

I'd be happy to put it off for a few months if it doesn't cause any issues renewing later.

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

Just to be clear, are you saying this for the Thai DL? I have a 2 year one and don't need the 5 year DL immediately (no vehicle). But my 2 year one expires in 1 week.

I'd be happy to put it off for a few months if it doesn't cause any issues renewing later.

And so you can. 

The way they date them you can almost get 6 years out of a 5 year licence. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Also, what is the easiest way obtain a "Certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau"

Immigration is a few km away but my embassy requires a BKK trip. Not sure how to get immigration to issue a certified letter of address.

If you are between immigration offices or embassies too far, I have had one from a police station before. 50 baht.

It's not supposed to be charged for. 

Jomtien hit you 300 under the guise of expedited service.  One hour. 

But previous threads have discussed it should be free.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Counter will give you a form and number.

Passport photo required. 

It's typed up and pickit up in one hour 300 baht.

Or wait and get it free.

One certificate one licence. 

So it says.

I have separate bike and car. So two certificates.

• Like 1

You may know this already but you can't get a 5 year one with a tourist visa

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
15 hours ago, Hal65 said:

You may know this already but you can't get a 5 year one with a tourist visa

Then I definitely have to wait for my ED. 

Just in case the timing is weird for future renewals I'm curious: can you get a 2 year license on a tourist visa?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, 

I don't have a Bike license from my home country, only a regular car driving license. I'm looking to get a Bike license here in Thailand (a car license is not a priority at the moment). 

I've just produced the 1) Medical Certificate 2) Residence Certificate/Proof from Immigration

Is that all I need before I head to the DLT? (Pattaya) 

Is there any pre-booking needed or do I just go there? It's a 30min trip from where I stay so I don't want too many unnecessary trips. 

Can I do the Theory Exam + Driving test on the first day? 

Hi, 

I don't have a Bike license from my home country, only a regular car driving license. I'm looking to get a Bike license here in Thailand (a car license is not a priority at the moment). 

I've just produced the 1) Medical Certificate 2) Residence Certificate/Proof from Immigration

Is there any pre-booking needed or do I just go there? It's a 30min trip from where I stay so I don't want too many unnecessary trips. 

You need a copy of passport main page, visa, stamp with departure card, home driving licence. Bring originals

Go early, i went 7am and was still no.30 in the queue. It's a war zone there, with staff stressed out. I can't answer your last question

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 9:39 PM, aldriglikvid said:

Hi, 

i renewed mine in Feb.....did NOT have a med cert. When you arrive one gets a ticket and waits to be called upstairs.

You then have paperwork processed and do the 3 tests.

Then watch a vid for one hour.....audio and subtitles ALL IN THAI !!!

Get there early as they only do a certain number of driving licences within their working day.....

Edited by essox essox
after thought need copies of passport/visa

My 2 year drivers licences (car and motorbike) expired in October 2018. I plan to renew in September 2019, is this fine? I hear i have a 1 year grace period to renew.

• 2 weeks later...

cant get my head around this , i cant see the logic,, as you cannot ride a scooter with a lapsed licence, as you will have no insurance for starters. and why 90 days before, kids making up rules again, 30 days ok, but 90,??

cant get my head around this , i cant see the logic,, as you cannot ride a scooter with a lapsed licence, as you will have no insurance for starters. and why 90 days before, kids making up rules again, 30 days ok, but 90,??
Yes, you can imagine their meeting when they decided it was a good idea that the 2 year licence must expire before you apply for a new one. Problem is they don't think things through, it comes up time and time again

34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
40 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

Yes, you can imagine their meeting when they decided it was a good idea that the 2 year licence must expire before you apply for a new one. Problem is they don't think things through, it comes up time and time again

My two year bikes and cars, were both renewed before expired. 

DLT. Pattaya. 

And then they add the month s on up to your birthday. 

My new 5 years license s run for about 5 1/2 years. 

No need to watch the movie. 

On 10/5/2018 at 7:54 PM, Hal65 said:

Then I definitely have to wait for my ED. 

Just in case the timing is weird for future renewals I'm curious: can you get a 2 year license on a tourist visa?

Yes..

You can actually get a 2 year on a Visa waiver. 

But not sure why you would bother. 

It's a temporary license. 2 years. 

My two year bikes and cars, were both renewed before expired. 

DLT. Pattaya. 

And then they add the month s on up to your birthday. 

My new 5 years license s run for about 5 1/2 years. 

No need to watch the movie. 

For a 2 to 2, on a tourist visa or visa exempt you have to wait until expiry, daft i know, i was at DLT Pattaya in March

I just renewed motorbike and car license at Pattaya DLT from my 2-year temporary Thai licenses.  Arrived at 9:15 and had to take eye exam and reaction test. Finished with both new licenses in hand before 11:00.  I had forgotten that my auto license expired 2 months earlier than my motorbike license and already more than a month expired. They never said a word and gave me both car and motorbike 5-year licenses.

Residency certificate

health certificate

passport photocopies (done outside at DLT)

expiring 2 year licenses

I just renewed motorbike and car license at Pattaya DLT from my 2-year temporary Thai licenses.  Arrived at 9:15 and had to take eye exam and reaction test. Finished with both new licenses in hand before 11:00.  I had forgotten that my auto license expired 2 months earlier than my motorbike license and already more than a month expired. They never said a word and gave me both car and motorbike 5-year licenses.

Residency certificate
health certificate
passport photocopies (done outside at DLT)
expiring 2 year licenses
and a long stay visa or extension?