Requirements For Obtaining And Renewing A 2 Year Driving Licence

Rimmer

If you live in Central Pattaya, where can you go to apply for a car license. The place by the school is a long way from Pattaya on a motorbike.

No other place, the Chonburi Land Transport Office near Regent's international is the only such office for the Banglamung / Sattahip districts. If you buy a car from a dealer, let him do it for you, otherwise you will have to drive there.

Yes, if you do what you should do (omit the highway with the bike), then it is around 30 min to drive there from Central Pattaya.

So new and used cars come with DLs included now...that's interesting.

There is an easy back road route that avoids the motorways to the LTO via Soi Siam Country Club road...Google Map has it.

Currently going through the licensing process so just posting some tidbits for informational purposes. (I'm actually renewing an expired license.) I have non-immigrant O visa. Residence certificate, medical certificate, a couple photos, passport, and old license required. Take all this stuff (with a couple copies of both certs. and copies of the face and visa stamp pages of the passport) to the LTO office and get a number from the dispensing machine next to the information desk downstairs. When your number is called, go to the desk at the top of the stairs to the second floor.

At the desk, they will check your documents and then give you an appointment slip to come back for your "learning day." I initially went the second week of December and received my learning day date for Dec. 30th.

For the learning day, you go to the LTO office, with all your docs again, at 8 a.m.. When the office opens shortly after 8, outside, before opening the doors, they will separate the crowd into Thais and farang. They will call in people who are just there to pay their annual registrations in first and then the farang who are there for instruction are let in. You will be sent back upstairs to have your docs checked and your vision and peddle reaction time tested. After a little more paperwork, you will sit down in a room with the other farang students to watch a THREE-HOUR video, with English subtitles, on the history and urpose of the Thai Land Transportation Act and all the rules and regulations for driving in Thailand and your responsibilities as a driver on the roads (including if you are operating an animal-drawn vehicle). There is no break in the video and about half the class seemed to fall asleep for most of it, awakening only for the last 30 minutes or so for the smash-up scenes during the dangers of drunk and other hazaderous driving practices segment of the show.

After viewing the video, we were free to go and told to return on January 4th in the morning for the actual driving and written tests. (I'm not sure if this is standard practice or because of the holiday period. A banner outside the LTO office says both the learning and the testing are done on the same day, in the morning and afternoon, respectively.

In any case, that's my report and I'll be back there for my tests after New Years.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Thanks for this.

I did not know all of this is necessary.

I have non-immigrant O visa. Residence certificate, medical certificate, a couple photos, passport, and old license required. Take all this stuff (with a couple copies of both certs. and copies of the face and visa stamp pages of the passport) to the LTO office and get a numbe

• Like 1

And just thinking now...

A medical certificate?

What does it need to include, and how much might it cost to get one?

Just go to any storefront clinic in Pattaya and say you need "paper to make driver licence." Depending on how lazy they are, they may check your blood pressure, weight or height or not and then the "doctor" will sign a form in Thai, presumebly saying youre alive and not a ghost, and the charge will be 100-200 baht.

I'll just update and close-out my driver's license experience. Just to repeat, I was "renewing" a 10 year expired Thai car driving license. I left off after attending the training day and viewing the 3-hour driving and rules of the road video. The next steps are the driving and written tests which I'll cover today.

One is directed to return for the test day in the morning at 8:20 and to meet at the covered seating area outside at the back of the building. Just park your bike or car somewhere in the lot and go sit with your fellow testers. The motorbike drivers will be tested first. Those there for that license will be called out as a group and trundle across the one end of the test track where the tester will give a short lecture in Thai and then broken English about what's required. (From what I gathered, it's basically if you can drive the short course upright in your bike without loosing your balance and falling over laugh.png ). When the bike drivers are finished, then the car drivers are tested. Again, you will be called out as a group and given instructions on what is required to pass the test. Then you will return to your cars and drive them over into a line at the start of the test track. The driving test consists of the following three things:

1. Being able to come to a stop (like at a cross-walk) within 1 meter of the front of the stopping block area and within 4-5 inches of the curb. I get what the first part is somewhat relevant to driving and stopping safely but as to the curb part I have no idea,

2. Being able to execute a 3-point reverse parking maneuver correctly, and egressing from the parking spot, (you get a maximum of 7 points to do this),

3. Being able to drive through through a short course of upright poles (maybe 50 meters) forward and backward without touching any of the poles. Basically testing if one can negotiate a narrow space forwards

and backwards.

Oh, and this forth item...one must properly execute a left-hand turn out of the testing course and back into the parking area, where you park the car and return to the instructors booth in the the test circuit to see if you have passed. If you have, you will sign and get your paperwork and be directed back up to desk 5 on the second floor to take the written portion of the test. If you fail, you cannot re-take the test that day but will be given a date in a day or so to come and retake the test.

That's it! Maybe now it's easier to understand why there are so many bad drivers on Thai roads...that's the entirety of the driving portion of the Thai driver's license test. cheesy.gif

Now, upon passing the driving test, you will head back upstairs to take the electronic written test. It consists of 50 questions and you are allowed up to 1 hour to complete it and a score of 45 or higher is a passing grade. If you study the online test that's posted in this thread you will pass. There were only 3-4 questions on the test that were not among the 90 questions in the online test and these are pretty easy to figure out. You will be notified immediately, on screen, if you have passed or not once you indicate you are finished. The questions and answers you got wrong will be onscreen for your review. OMG completed the test in 8 minutes with a score of 48 out of 50.

After this, if you pass, you will be directed to the payments counter, where you will pay your license fees and then take your picture for your license and that's it...your done. (I suppose if you don't pass the written, then just like the driving, you're given a day to return to retest.

So I'm sure you're all relieved to know that OMG is once again a legally licensed Thai driver and no longer a menace to his fellow drivers or others on the highways and byways of the Land of Smiles. wai2.gif

• Like 2

Any need to study?

Definitely. And its bullheaded swotting as some of the questions are curious or show plain wrong Q/A combinations.

Any way to study??

From a lengthy thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732938-take-the-new-thai-driving-test-online/

there are 90 known questions in English.

As some links might be broken I have uploaded the three PDFs with these questions here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732938-take-the-new-thai-driving-test-online/page-7#entry10201944

You get 50 questions from the test computer, 45 must be right at least.

Just remember to answer yes if you get the question : Are tanks allowed to drive on public roads. Yes , that is one of the questions you might get.

Edited by balo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can confirm Linnets1961 report from above, IDP was not needed / accpeted at all

Got both car and byke licenses one week ago at Pattaya Land Transport Office.

I had in my hands only an italian IDP, and they accepted it as a valid document. Plus copies of passport, medical certificate and Immigration residence certificate as usual.

The strange thing is that i didnt any test. I just did give all documents to the lady at the desk at the entrance, then wait one hour, paid, be photographed and get my licenses.

Maybe just a fluke

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am here for 3 months on a ME Tourist Visa. I am in Chonburi, along with my Thai/American wife. Both of us have International Drivers Licenses from the US. We (she) owns a car in Thailand, which we both drive regularly.

For the foreseeable future, we plan to spend approximately 3 months of each calendar year in Thailand, with the remainder of our time in the US. Getting an International Drivers License is incredibly easy and inexpensive in the US, is supposedly valid in Thailand, and is valid for 12 months.

So my question, it seems to be far easier and cheaper to get an International Drivers License in the US than a 1 year drivers license in Thailand (apparently that's all I'm eligible for, although I presume the wife can get a 5 year). Is there any advantage in my getting a Thai drivers license? I see plenty of disadvantages, including spending several days and several thousand Baht traveling between Chonburi and Bangkok to get the required documents.

Edited by ftpjtm

I am here for 3 months on a ME Tourist Visa. I am in Chonburi, along with my Thai/American wife. Both of us have International Drivers Licenses from the US. We (she) owns a car in Thailand, which we both drive regularly.

For the foreseeable future, we plan to spend approximately 3 months of each calendar year in Thailand, with the remainder of our time in the US. Getting an International Drivers License is incredibly easy and inexpensive in the US, is supposedly valid in Thailand, and is valid for 12 months.

So my question, it seems to be far easier and cheaper to get an International Drivers License in the US than a 1 year drivers license in Thailand (apparently that's all I'm eligible for, although I presume the wife can get a 5 year). Is there any advantage in my getting a Thai drivers license? I see plenty of disadvantages, including spending several days and several thousand Baht traveling between Chonburi and Bangkok to get the required documents.

Not sure I understand why you would have to travel and why it would cost so much to get the required documents?

Are you in Chonburi city or Pattaya?

All you need is a medical certificate (in Pattaya 80-150 baht from a clinic normally with no testing at all)and a residence certificate from Immigration plus photo copies of relevant pages in your passport and of your IDP or US licence.......

It is also now a 2 year temporary licence.

If your wife has not had a Thai licence before or lapsed for long time then she would not normally get a 5 year straight away.

As to whether you need to bother then this seems to depend on the police attitude if you are ever stopped rather than the letter of the law.......

Not sure I understand why you would have to travel and why it would cost so much to get the required documents?

All you need is a medical certificate (in Pattaya 80-150 baht from a clinic normally with no testing at all)and a residence certificate from Immigration plus photo copies of relevant pages in your passport and of your IDP or US licence.......

If your wife has not had a Thai licence before or lapsed for long time then she would not normally get a 5 year straight away.

As to whether you need to bother then this seems to depend on the police attitude if you are ever stopped rather than the letter of the law.......

I am in Sattahip and told we need to use the DMV near Pattaya.

Per another thread it says I need some type of document from the US Embassy in BKK, which costs $50. Dealing with them is a monumental pain in the backside IMO, and if I can avoid that trip by using an International Permit legally, it's well worth it to me.

I am in Sattahip and told we need to use the DMV near Pattaya.

Per another thread it says I need some type of document from the US Embassy in BKK, which costs $50. Dealing with them is a monumental pain in the backside IMO, and if I can avoid that trip by using an International Permit legally, it's well worth it to me.

What is your local Immigration office? If Jomtien then you should be able to get a registration cert from them - 300 baht I think even though supposed to be free. Just need proof of address of some sort.

• 1 month later...

Is it still possible to get a Thai driver's licence with valid foreign licence, WP and medical certificate without needing to do the driving test?

In almost all cases: yes. If your licence is in English with a photo. If it's not in English ( and sometimes even if it is in English) An IDP will be needed.

You do have an option for an embassy certified translation ;) but IMHO an IDP is usually much easier to get.

Note the DLT website has not been updated for the 2 year validity of the temporary licence and the word invalid should read valid

post-44962-0-89402100-1458950287_thumb.j

• Like 2

I just have a few questions remaining after reading this topic. I currently have a US automobile license no motorcycle.

1. Is it still possible today to get both licenses done in 1 day?

2. Can you request a time period to come in for the testing if it possibly is later than the day they give you?

(EX. my GF has the week of April 25-29 off, which would make it much more convenient for me seeing she has the bike)

3. How long are the medical and resident certificates valid for? I've heard Medical 30 days, Resident anywhere from 30 days to 6 months

4. They still accept copies for medical and resident certificate correct? Also does it make any sense to give copies for both

automobile and motorbike tests and hold onto the originals?

Thanks much for your answers.

Edited by jwdub

I think you are "mixing and matching" here.

I say this because needing to take a driving test for a motorcycle does not fit into the same format of converting an existing license.

You can get your US license converted in a few minutes time if you have all the proper documentation.

IF you are needing proof of residence from immigration, you will first have to get the request for such info from Transport people first. So that will take two visits to the Transport office.

I was given a VERY simple "reaction" test and color blindness test, and nothing else. (In converting a US auto, drivers license.

Medical cert if good for a month. Not sure about Residence cert. The Med cert took me ten minutes to get in a local clinic. No need to go to a hospital.

I don't think they accept "copies only" but I could be wrong. Bring copies of your picture page of your passport, re-entry card, and visa page.

No offense, but I think your the one mixing and matching. So I'll go into a little more detail in case others may also

be confused as to what I'm alluding to.

1. I currently only have a US drivers license for automobile only. It expires May 5th. I do not own a US motorcycle license

2. I plan on having both Residence and Medical Certificates when I arrive at the testing center for the 1st time.

3. I've read through this entire topic and on page 3 post #59 and page 6 post #135 both posters stated they got

their licenses using the original and copy of certificates to obtain both licenses. Granted the posts were made

in 2013 & 2014.

4. My plan has been altered now that I will probably look at 2 visits, but within that 30 day period which I know found

out that both certificates are valid for.

5. I am hoping that with the 1st trip I can just get my Auto license and then get a que number to return for a motorbike

test. I know I have to go through all the instruction and testing for the motorbike license, which I'm hoping can get done

in 1 day.

Now for the real fun part.

6. My GF is stating that I should go ahead and get my auto license here in Patts and take the motorbike test's in Korat

(as apparently it's a much easier time) at the end of the month when we visit her parents.Again within the 30 day period.

Is this doable?

God my life is complicated!!!!

No offense, but I think your the one mixing and matching. So I'll go into a little more detail in case others may also

1. I currently only have a US drivers license for automobile only. It expires May 5th. I do not own a US motorcycle license

2. I plan on having both Residence and Medical Certificates when I arrive at the testing center for the 1st time.

3. I've read through this entire topic and on page 3 post #59 and page 6 post #135 both posters stated they got

their licenses using the original and copy of certificates to obtain both licenses. Granted the posts were made

in 2013 & 2014.

4. My plan has been altered now that I will probably look at 2 visits, but within that 30 day period which I know found

5. I am hoping that with the 1st trip I can just get my Auto license and then get a que number to return for a motorbike

test. I know I have to go through all the instruction and testing for the motorbike license, which I'm hoping can get done

in 1 day.

6. My GF is stating that I should go ahead and get my auto license here in Patts and take the motorbike test's in Korat

(as apparently it's a much easier time) at the end of the month when we visit her parents.Again within the 30 day period.

Is this doable?

Why don't you get your gf to ring up the DLT and ask.........?

If you are applying for both licences at the same time then they will accept one original and one copy of the med and Immigration cert. You do not need any form from the transport people (well not that I have ever heard) to get the residence cert. from Immigration.

If you only apply separately then you will almost certainly need two originals. I also doubt if Korat DLT will accept a residence cert from Chonburi Immigration but I could be wrong - again get your gf to ring and check.

I went to Immigration in Chiang Rai and asked for proof of residence.

They said they would only produce such a document, after getting a request from the Transport office.

I went back to the Transport office and they gave me a form asking for the info, that I took to Immigration.

Mixing and Matching

Converting your US license can be done in a half hour or so, depending on how busy they are.

Taking the driving test, and perhaps a "written" test is a whole other kettle of fish.

The way I read your questions, it sounded like the two processes were pretty much the same.

But, no worries.

in 2013 & 2014.

in 1 day.

Is this doable?

In short No.

1 visit, 1 original is retained by the DLT office. The only originals not kept, passport and IDP

2 licences in 1 visit, original and copy is OK

2 separate visits, originals needed for each visit

So of your doing the MC in KK Then get a residence certificate in KK and make life easy

in 2013 & 2014.

in 1 day.

Is this doable?

In short No.

1 visit, 1 original is retained by the DLT office. The only originals not kept, passport and IDP

2 licences in 1 visit, original and copy is OK

2 separate visits, originals needed for each visit

So of your doing the MC in KK Then get a residence certificate in KK and make life easy

I just realised that the advice about getting the residence certificate in KK was a bad idea, you'll need a second one from the same office you got the first one.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I want to get a Thai driving licence for car and bike in Pattaya. I currently hold a UK car driving licence.

Would a hotel receipt for one night be enough to get a residence certificate from Jomtien immigration? I do have a rental contract, but it's for a property in Rayong and I would prefer to do my driving licence in Pattaya, not Rayong, mainly because of the recent changes at Rayong immigration and the potential trouble there.

Edited by FritzB