What Is The Import Cost For A Watch ?

JohanBKK

An additional 20 or 30% may well be within the range of what the OP considers reasonable, and he maybe doesn't have visitors who live in lower-taxed jurisdictions coming to visit.

Note another tactic is to have a friend remove all the packaging showing it's new and toss it in with some other random personal-looking stuff send it regular sea post and odds are pretty good it'll come through unscathed, very unlikely to be charged the same as the vendor shipping direct via FedEx or DHL.

Maybe from an individual, ebay or something, but coming direct from a commercial vendor will definitely increase the odds/amount of the assessed value.

Needs to be from a private sender, handwritten address, re-purposed beat up cardboard box, ideally mixed up with cheap pens and other knick-knacks.

A little mud and hair or something smeared on the wristband wouldnt' go astray.

I'll give you an example of being 'stung' by Fedex. I ordered a 'special needs' push chair from the US. It is not a wheel chair but more like an oversized child's push chair.

The cost was $900 with $160 for international Fedex freight on the original invoice. All went well and the push chair arrived.

Two weeks later we get another bill from Fedex demanding a further $754 for customs, duties & taxes !!!

Looks like 40% import duty...attachicon.gifwatch.jpg

Dont forget an other 7% will go over that for VAT. This is offcourse on shipping and value of the watch

I got screwed when i imported some dumbbells for training i knew i had to pay 10% + 7% vat but they recalculated my shipping cost to weight and increased the value of the shipping cost 3 times.. so again more costs for me. I am still happy with the weights but that left a sour taste in my mouth.

(and no these kind of weights were not available here)

40% seems overpriced to me, watches in Thailand aren't that expensive.

I disagree, watches in Thailand are very expensive. I guess this is all relative though. If everybody could shop US based amazon with free shipping, you'd know what I mean. Never knew how good I had it until I left it. It is very hard to be a shopper anywhere in the world but America imo, maybe that is why the country has succeeded in doing what it has done (hint Thailand, lol).

I'll give you an example of being 'stung' by Fedex. I ordered a 'special needs' push chair from the US. It is not a wheel chair but more like an oversized child's push chair.

The cost was $900 with $160 for international Fedex freight on the original invoice. All went well and the push chair arrived.

Two weeks later we get another bill from Fedex demanding a further $754 for customs, duties & taxes !!!

That's disgusting. Did you have to pay it?
  • Like 1

it will be whatever customs department will decide its worth and do not expect them to be fair..

I once had shoes sent from US, with invoice and value of $10, they charged $30 for tax

If you have it posted with regular post, there is more chance for it to get through without tax, but can get lost.

What did work once for me, but depends if seller is willing to do that. i had Tissot watch posted from Australia, Tissot put it as warranty replacement and it went through fine with no duties.

That's disgusting. Did you have to pay it?

If these charges are levied by Customs you would not have your goods. These are just ripoff charges by these freight forwarders

• Like 1

Post it to me .biggrin.png

If youve got the timecheesy.gif

Sorry just a wind up.wai2.gif

I personally would not risk theft or extortion on such an item and use th friend/used ruse identified by others.sick.gif

Plan B almost any watch copy is 100Bahts on the street with the other $1400 my wife will give you the time of day if she's in a timely mood.coffee1.gif

Good luck and don't flash a flashy watch about in Krung The you might be invited to friendly game of sharks.clap2.gif Watch it.

and don't use Afghan psot as the Taleban say the Yans had the Tags but we got the time

You can take a look at this link for some information regarding customs tariffs for the item you are looking to import

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

The customs tariff seem to be 40 % as another member mentioned previously. You need to ad another 7 % for VAT on top of this. But I guess it's really up to the customs officials to decide how much they will really charge you :P

If the company ship the watch to you using FedEx or DHL you might end up paying more, as many experienced when using their services. The best option is to use regular post service (USPS, Canada Post...) so you can avoid extra costs.

Another good idea, as mentioned by another member, is to ask the vendor to send you the watch as a warranty replacement.

Better to fly to Gibraltar and buy there and fly back - brand new Rolex 3-5k can give you the details of who the family use as been shopping there as a family for over 30 yrs and they always do us a deal.

Tax free and ofcourse real

I don't like rolex.

Probably because you can't even hold one for US$1600, much less quibble about the import duties. coffee1.gif

I want the 1600 USD watch because i like it, but i can afford a 30K watch if i want, my other choice was for a patek philippe nautilus pink gold at 38 000 USD. And it's not because i can afford that watch that i want to pay import fees, because those watches are more or less like free watches because they hold their value and you can resale it with almost no looses.