Should We Learn The Language?

yourauntbob

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

During my stint of teaching English I was often obliged to say 'that's the way it is' I must admit that Thai is the most difficult language that I have come up against. I'll be content if I understand what is being discussed, I know where to go when I tank up the car, know enough to go to the male toilets,

Apart from that, everybody speaks Lao here. I don't feel capable of learning two languages in parallel at my age.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

This really part of the problem. I have a friend in the Si Sa Ket, Surin, general area. She is a teacher with a master's degree and can read and write English well. She attempts to teach English but she really doesn't know how the words sound or how to say them well. She's getting better.

They have never had a native English teacher in their school, or at her university, and she knows of none in Si Sa Ket. (Doesn't mean there aren't some.)

So we have this conversation about Thai:

She: "We have children in our school from two villages. One village speaks Lao and the other speaks Khmer."

Me. "Wow! You know 4 languages - Khmer, Lao, Thai and English?"

She: "No. Khmer and Lao spoken here isn't same in Cambodia or Laos. Is a different."

Me: So you call it Khmer and Lao but it isn't really?

She: "Yes it is. Same. Is different. I would not be able to talk in Cambodia or Laos."

Me: (Scratches head.) "Do you understand the Thai that's used in Bangkok?"

She: "Yes, I attend university in Bangkok. Before, I don't understand."

Me: "Is your Thai Lao-Thai or Khmer-Thai or another Thai?"

She: "It is Thai."

I speak Lao with a Khon Kaen accent and I've never had any problems having mutually intelligible conversations with Lao-speaking folk from southern Isan or from north of the river. It's just a difference in accent, not a difference in dialect (notwithstanding the odd word change here and there). The differential in Lao accents is probably no greater than the differential in the accents of the English speaking world.

The Loei accent is another matter altogether. You can tell that it is built upon a Lao frame but it doesn't sound like anything else in any direction.

Maybe something was lost in translation, or maybe your lady friend just isn't cut out for languages.

Khmer speakers from Si sa ket may well understand some Khmer as spoken in Cambodia but will normally struggle to make themselves understood. It's also the case that Khmer speakers from different parts of Issan often have considerable differences in their dialects. Because of the Thai government policies discouraging its use or teaching, its largely a spoken language and due to that its more subject to change, there is no "backbone" to it.

We have about 40 people in the village that can't read or write Thai. A few can't speak it either. I was seriously thinking about learning Lao at one time but am toughing ot out with Thai now. I can read most things even though I don't understand what I am reading, maybe I should get an ED visa, it would be easier....

• Like 1

How would you know?

The sample of Thais that you interact with in Thai, and therefore the cross-section, criss-cross and criss-cross-criss-criss-cross section of society that you are likely to must be very small if :

1. You choose not to venture much deeper than the epidermis of Thai culture.

2. You don't speak enough Thai to allow serendipity (in human connection) to surprise you without having to make the deliberate effort to bust open a 'deep conversation'

Brilliant. So insightful and so very true.

Oh, com'mon, Tembly, guys.

Anyone's sample is going to be small, so what do we conclude then? What matters are my experiences and how I interpret them. I am not performing statistical analysis, so I don't care to increase my sample size large enough to 'perhaps' but not likely move the overall experience in a particular direction. Who has time for that?

1. Yes, I CHOOSE not to venture deeper than the superficial layer of Thai culture.

2. Again, how much time of my life should I spend searching and waiting for these experiences? Serendipity? Are you in your twilight years, by any chance?

The way you look at the world with serendipity and all that is very nice. Very positive. More typical of older folks who have become enlightened in their older age. Not meaning to be negative to you here, but it's what I've found often.

Not everyone has the same standard for the types of human connection that they will accept into their lives. Not everyone has the same open standard for the friends that they are willing to accept into their lives or the women they are willing to lay with or date or marry. Or the jobs they will accept, etc. My standard is perhaps a bit higher? I don't know. What I do accept is that the vast majority of Thais, in their very strong collectivist in-group, exclusionary culture, will always see me as an outsider, a non-Thai, and I am smart enough to know that such a notion will severely limit the honestly and types of interactions I will ever be able to have with most Thais irrespective of the fact that I can communicate with them in their language.

I deal in reality, and I'm OK with it. I'm not starved of human connection. Like I said, when I need some of that, I can either buy it or seek it out (more difficultly) through similar intimate interactions where money is not immediately exchanged. Of course, such connections are more transient and superficial, but I accept that as the physical nature of the connections tends to simply distract me well enough from whatever mental connection I thought I wanted.

• Like 1

"Yesterday I went to work. Went to the local restaurant. Spoke to several staff at work. Had a few text messages from friends. Called one back for a chat. And there was not one conversation out of the half dozen or so that weren't in English. So much for diminished world. Your point is?"

The point is -- only about 5-10 percent of the population is conversant in English.

Surely you don't expect to win any debate points using an example of a half dozen

folks you happened to communicate with one morning. Minuscule sample size...

I was simply making the point that you can get by with English alone. I have already stated that it is good to try and learn Thai. I am also of the opinion that some people find it EXTREMELY difficult to learn Thai for various reasons. I think it would be more constructive to give learning tips and ideas. Rather than continually stating the obvious.

I also believe more than 5-10% Thais speak English at a communicative level. From my experience in the central-west and eastern regions.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

The reality is,unless you speak at least some Thai, you will always be viewed as an extended tourist. Even if you own 10 houses and have lived here for 20 years, refusal to learn the native language is simply a sign of disrespect or laziness.

A some quick questions to those that have learnt Thai. If you could answer all. Thanks.

1. How long did it take to learn?

2. What level do you consider yourself. Learner.

Proficient. Fluent.

3. Did you learn at a school or by yourselves?

4. Were you in full time employment when learning?

Thanks. Your answers MAY give inspiration to others.

1. Ongoing, impossible to say, used to have a Thai Mrs overseas and we used a Thai English mix so I knew a lot of words but mixed with English.

2. Proficient

3. From friends initialy, then had 1 or 2 weekly lessons oone in one at school to help structure sentences for about 1 year. Speaking only, I initially didnt want to learn to rwad as I thought speaking was the priority, reading came later as a hobby.

4. I was in full time employment.

The big turning point was meeting my wife who spoke no English and still doesn't unless absolutely necessary. Her reluctance to speak English and inability to read it led me to read Thai so I can email her when I am away on business. I still don't write much and rely on Thai software and dictionaries for my emails, typing still takes me too long.

How would you know?

The sample of Thais that you interact with in Thai, and therefore the cross-section, criss-cross and criss-cross-criss-criss-cross section of society that you are likely to must be very small if :

2. You don't speak enough Thai to allow serendipity (in human connection) to surprise you without having to make the deliberate effort to bust open a 'deep conversation'

Anyone's sample is going to be small, so what do we conclude then? What matters are my experiences and how I interpret them. I am not performing statistical analysis, so I don't care to increase my sample size large enough to 'perhaps' but not likely move the overall experience in a particular direction. Who has time for that?

1. Yes, I CHOOSE not to venture deeper than the superficial layer of Thai culture.

2. Again, how much time of my life should I spend searching and waiting for these experiences? Serendipity? Are you in your twilight years, by any chance?

The way you look at the world with serendipity and all that is very nice. Very positive. More typical of older folks who have become enlightened in their older age. Not meaning to be negative to you here, but it's what I've found often.

Not everyone has the same standard for the types of human connection that they will accept into their lives. Not everyone has the same open standard for the friends that they are willing to accept into their lives or the women they are willing to lay with or date or marry. Or the jobs they will accept, etc. My standard is perhaps a bit higher? I don't know. What I do accept is that the vast majority of Thais, in their very strong collectivist in-group, exclusionary culture, will always see me as an outsider, a non-Thai, and I am smart enough to know that such a notion will severely limit the honestly and types of interactions I will ever be able to have with most Thais irrespective of the fact that I can communicate with them in their language.

I deal in reality, and I'm OK with it. I'm not starved of human connection. Like I said, when I need some of that, I can either buy it or seek it out (more difficultly) through similar intimate interactions where money is not immediately exchanged. Of course, such connections are more transient and superficial, but I accept that as the physical nature of the connections tends to simply distract me well enough from whatever mental connection I thought I wanted.

Frankly, you seem to me to be far too impressed with yourself (though to be fair you probably aren't as arrogant as you are, I assume, deliberately coming across) and close-minded on this topic (or at least intent on rationalizing) for this to make any difference but I'll give a brief (relative to how long it would take to really explicate my view on this and your comment) and unplanned reply to at least some of it:

I don't care about statistical analysis and am happy to disregard that but here's the key - and I will paraphrase Trembly because it was so eloquent and astute: How would you know about what is possible if you "choose not to venture much deeper than the epidermis of Thai culture" and "you don't speak enough Thai to allow serendipity (in human connection) to surprise you without having to make the deliberate effort to bust open a 'deep conversation' ".

I don't know what constitutes "twilight years" in your mind but I'm 50 and I happen to know that Trembly is even farther from his dotage than I. I don't think you are clear on the definition of serendipity as it has nothing to do with age. And I thank you for stating that I am enlightened but I would have heartily agreed with Trembly when I was his age and younger - indeed I used to say such things (though not as well) when I was in my early twenties.

Your stuff about standards is just poorly veiled insults and elitism which is hardly shocking or horrible except it is also irrelevant: not everyone has the same standards but there is NOTHING in what I am saying that has anything to do with having 'lower' standards. I include people from almost the entire range of the socio-economic spectrum among those I interact with and while the ratio may favor one end more than the other, I have had and do have many experiences with people at the "lower end" that I value as much as any other. My standards are about character when it comes to people and when it comes to conversation it's about content (yes, I know you will say the quality isn't there - but you are wrong though there's no point in me trying to convince you of course or spend any time trying to give examples).

I also don't accede to your absolute conviction of the inescapable and unbridgeable gap but again, there's little point in trying to argue that and it would take much too much time and effort to even try.

I'm honestly not interested in a slagging match and that isn't what this is about but you've totally mischaracterized things to support your position. And I have to say that while I have zero problem with people who choose to have interactions based on an exchange of money - though it isn't what I am interested in - this is very illustrative of how you really have no idea of what's possible not the mindset to see it:

"I'm not starved of human connection. Like I said, when I need some of that, I can either buy it or seek it out (more difficultly) through similar intimate interactions where money is not immediately exchanged..."

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 2

The reality is,unless you speak at least some Thai, you will always be viewed as an extended tourist. Even if you own 10 houses and have lived here for 20 years, refusal to learn the native language is simply a sign of disrespect or laziness.

Even if you speak Thai fluently, you are still regarded as a extended tourist. This does make me think that those Farang's who can speak good Thai, seem to think that they have been accepted to a larger extent then those who cannot, Sorry! To deflate your bubble,this is not so. It may allow you to interact with some Thai's, but they always look upon you as a Farang.

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1

One thing that really, and I mean really does set my teeth on edge, is the Thai application of English words.

I had to top up the credit on my mobile phone tonight, went to one of the local phone shops and asked for "one two call, sam loi baht"

Blank stare, got the mobile phone out of my pocket and pointed at it......

"Oh, one tooo call sam loi baht"

btw, it's a computer, not a Com Pew TER.

I am trying to learn their language, can they do me a favour and at least not ride roughshod over mine.

Do you grieve over really petty things much?

Grieve?

Stick to Thai, your command of English is shocking.

Even if you speak Thai fluently, you are still regarded as a extended tourist. This does make me think that those Farang's who can speak good Thai, seem to think that they have been accepted to a larger extent then those who cannot, Sorry! To deflate your bubble,this is not so. It may allow you to interact with some Thai's, but they always look upon you as a Farang.

I won't bother arguing the extent to which this is or isn't true but I will point out that you could not possibly know such a thing - so your absolutist statement is ridiculous.

One thing that really, and I mean really does set my teeth on edge, is the Thai application of English words.

I had to top up the credit on my mobile phone tonight, went to one of the local phone shops and asked for "one two call, sam loi baht"

Blank stare, got the mobile phone out of my pocket and pointed at it......

"Oh, one tooo call sam loi baht"

btw, it's a computer, not a Com Pew TER.

I am trying to learn their language, can they do me a favour and at least not ride roughshod over mine.

Do you grieve over really petty things much?

Grieve?

Stick to Thai, your command of English is shocking.

My spell checker has not passed the Eng 101 test... sick.gif

How would you know?

You are actually consciously "searching and waiting for these experiences"? . . .

There is a soreness in your post. To me it sounds like an admission of defeat. I think you are projecting some inner issues onto 'the Thais', whoever they are.

I accept that there are bound to be some Thais who resonate with that dissonance, but the vast of majority of my experiences (as a loog-krueng who has been intertwined with countless Thai-Farang interactions of all permutations) smash straight through that posit.

You seem so intent on finding only the evidence to support your exclusionary stance, that many Thais who perceive it - myself included - have probably come to the conclusion that it would be rude to disturb you.

Carry on, in your own time! biggrin.png

Edited by Trembly

By the way I agree it is good to try learning Thai. For all those on here saying how easy it is. Maybe give some tips on how you did learn. Rather than keep saying how much it has enlarged your world. Thanks biggrin.png

Hi, I am not one one the people that said learning was easy, and I don't claim to be fluent or any expert, I am intermediate at best, but after reading books which I was not able to take in going in cold, and pissing off Thai friends by asking things then instantly forgetting, I found what got me started was using computer biased applications, I started with a hooky copy of Rosetta stone, that was OK, but better for me personally was when android app's came out, such as L-Lingo ( http://www.l-lingo.com/en/learn-thai/index.html ) and also I started using flash cards with sound on my phone.

This helped me get used to the sounds, improve vocab without bugging Thai friends or paying out for a tutor, and I also work full time, but this is something I can do anywhere or anytime in 'dead time' such as waiting for a meeting to start or sitting on the train.

Started playing with app's like this 2-3 years ago and it really helped me break through into actually having some vocab to speak in Thai about and start a basic conversation, often at first I would get stuck half way through that conversation for vocab or not understand what was being said back to me but then that made me go away and look up the word I wanted, and I found myself saying 'mai ko jai' less and less. Was much easier to remember a word when I needed it in the context of a real conversation, not just reading it from a book to try and force myself to learn it.

I do pick up Thai books now and they make more sense and I take stuff in, unlike when I approached them cold. I recommend 'Reading Thai is fun' by James Neal. (can be bought in Asia books).

I am only in Thailand 20% of the time so I still use the computer based apps and try to do something to hear or read Thai and understand some Thai Language every day even it is only 25 minutes on the train to work in the UK, downloading some Thai song or clip from youtube onto my tablet. I am lucky to have a handful Thai friends here in London and I speak Thai abit whenever I see them (despite the fact their English is much better than my Thai 555).

When my current work contact ends in London plan to move back full time and hopefully will be in a good position to get some formal lessons and move to the next level.

Hope my rambling reply helps.

cheers and 'chok dee krup' smile.png

Edited by jay1980

No, I am not consciously searching for them; that was my point. And, I won't as I don't think it worth my time. That's my personal choice, right?

Yes, there is soreness. I am a product of all my experiences to date (which are quite likely different from yours or SteelJoe's). And, of course, I 'project' something of myself onto others. I don't think you will be able to argue that you and everyone else -- who is human -- does not do the same. We are ALL products of our own experience, and none of us is objective. Such a concept cannot be applied to humans and their interactions with each other.

Now, I may be projecting 'negative' stuff, and you be projecting 'positive' stuff. I accept that. However, I am only me, and I can only be concerned with my own desires. When I am interested in human interaction, I am interested in a certain type, and I find that type difficult to find (everywhere in the world I've been/lived) and particularly hard to find in Thailand even disregarding language. What is wrong with that statement of fact? Does it mean something is wrong with me?

I slag off the Thais for many things, but not this. Could it be true that they are largely (never all) quite different from me fundamentally?

For example -

I do not believe people are inherently good.

I do not have a family nor want one.

I am not close to my family nor do I think it is a requirement. I view family as essentially 'just some other people'.

I do not respect or believe in any religion or a "God"/higher power, but I do respect human choice in their decision to participate in religion.

I believe in the task over the person.

I believe in truth over personal relationship/friendship.

I believe that life is arbitrary and that my life has no more 'meaning' than that of our neighbourhood soi dog. As such, I do not believe that life is about being happy, and indeed I do not expect happiness.

I do not believe in an afterlife or the concept of soul. I believe that when I die, that will be it, and I will no longer exist - forever.

That is just a sample.

So, it's hard for me to find friendships anyway. Not just in Thailand, but everywhere.

But, point with respect to this thread was that language serves me (and perhaps others like me) little value in terms of improving relationships with Thais and particularly because of some of the things Thais often (though not always) have in common.

Thais are overwhelmingly at the opposite end of how they view the world and life and how they derive meaning and happiness.

EDIT: I am FAR too serious and studied for most Thais (including those I've met from Harvard, Yale, etc. poets, senior army guys, Chula and other educators, etc.). Thai culture values Sanuk. I think Sanuk is silly and not so valuable.

Lastly, if you see me, feel free to approach me as you will not 'disturb' me. I'm a friendly guy. I don't need to be like the majority to be friendly.

smile.png

Edited by PaullyW

To integrate into the community you need to be Thai. Learning the language is not relevant to that concept.

Learning Thai has other advantages when outside the main tourist areas, but it also has many disadvantages.

It won't stop them calling you the "f" word either.

What are the disadvantages?

the disadvantages for some people are to integrate into the community.

• Like 1

your claim is a sign of utter disrespect! 99.99% of expats are in Thailand based on yearly extensions (work permit, retiree or marriage visa) that proves your laziness to arrive at a logical conclusion.

• Like 1

cheesy.gif , you live in Newcastle or Liverpool. cheesy.gif YOU have much to learn about Thai folk. coffee1.gif

To integrate into the community you need to be Thai. Learning the language is not relevant to that concept.

Learning Thai has other advantages when outside the main tourist areas, but it also has many disadvantages.

It won't stop them calling you the "f" word either.

What are the disadvantages?

the disadvantages for some people are to integrate into the community.

The choice is theirs . . . whistling.gif

No, I am not consciously searching for them; that was my point. And, I won't as I don't think it worth my time. That's my personal choice, right?

Yes, there is soreness. I am a product of all my experiences to date (which are quite likely different from yours or SteelJoe's). And, of course, I 'project' something of myself onto others. I don't think you will be able to argue that you and everyone else -- who is human -- does not do the same. We are ALL products of our own experience, and none of us is objective. Such a concept cannot be applied to humans and their interactions with each other.

Now, I may be projecting 'negative' stuff, and you be projecting 'positive' stuff. I accept that. However, I am only me, and I can only be concerned with my own desires. When I am interested in human interaction, I am interested in a certain type, and I find that type difficult to find (everywhere in the world I've been/lived) and particularly hard to find in Thailand even disregarding language. What is wrong with that statement of fact? Does it mean something is wrong with me?

I slag off the Thais for many things, but not this. Could it be true that they are largely (never all) quite different from me fundamentally?

For example -

I do not believe people are inherently good.

I do not have a family nor want one.

I am not close to my family nor do I think it is a requirement. I view family as essentially 'just some other people'.

I do not respect or believe in any religion or a "God"/higher power, but I do respect human choice in their decision to participate in religion.

I believe in the task over the person.

I believe in truth over personal relationship/friendship.

I believe that life is arbitrary and that my life has no more 'meaning' than that of our neighbourhood soi dog. As such, I do not believe that life is about being happy, and indeed I do not expect happiness.

I do not believe in an afterlife or the concept of soul. I believe that when I die, that will be it, and I will no longer exist - forever.

That is just a sample.

So, it's hard for me to find friendships anyway. Not just in Thailand, but everywhere.

But, point with respect to this thread was that language serves me (and perhaps others like me) little value in terms of improving relationships with Thais and particularly because of some of the things Thais often (though not always) have in common.

Thais are overwhelmingly at the opposite end of how they view the world and life and how they derive meaning and happiness.

EDIT: I am FAR too serious and studied for most Thais (including those I've met from Harvard, Yale, etc. poets, senior army guys, Chula and other educators, etc.). Thai culture values Sanuk. I think Sanuk is silly and not so valuable.

Lastly, if you see me, feel free to approach me as you will not 'disturb' me. I'm a friendly guy. I don't need to be like the majority to be friendly.

smile.png

Fair enough. I hope to meet you at the next TV party!

• Like 1

By the way I agree it is good to try learning Thai. For all those on here saying how easy it is. Maybe give some tips on how you did learn. Rather than keep saying how much it has enlarged your world. Thanks

Hi, I am not one one the people that said learning was easy, and I don't claim to be fluent or any expert, I am intermediate at best, but after reading books which I was not able to take in going in cold, and pissing off Thai friends by asking things then instantly forgetting, I found what got me started was using computer biased applications, I started with a hooky copy of Rosetta stone, that was OK, but better for me personally was when android app's came out, such as L-Lingo ( http://www.l-lingo.com/en/learn-thai/index.html ) and also I started using flash cards with sound on my phone.

This helped me get used to the sounds, improve vocab without bugging Thai friends or paying out for a tutor, and I also work full time, but this is something I can do anywhere or anytime in 'dead time' such as waiting for a meeting to start or sitting on the train.

Started playing with app's like this 2-3 years ago and it really helped me break through into actually having some vocab to speak in Thai about and start a basic conversation, often at first I would get stuck half way through that conversation for vocab or not understand what was being said back to me but then that made me go away and look up the word I wanted, and I found myself saying 'mai ko jai' less and less. Was much easier to remember a word when I needed it in the context of a real conversation, not just reading it from a book to try and force myself to learn it.

I do pick up Thai books now and they make more sense and I take stuff in, unlike when I approached them cold. I recommend 'Reading Thai is fun' by James Neal. (can be bought in Asia books).

I am only in Thailand 20% of the time so I still use the computer based apps and try to do something to hear or read Thai and understand some Thai Language every day even it is only 25 minutes on the train to work in the UK, downloading some Thai song or clip from youtube onto my tablet. I am lucky to have a handful Thai friends here in London and I speak Thai abit whenever I see them (despite the fact their English is much better than my Thai 555).

When my current work contact ends in London plan to move back full time and hopefully will be in a good position to get some formal lessons and move to the next level.

Hope my rambling reply helps.

cheers and 'chok dee krup'

Thanks for that.. :D

If I like a country and the people who live there and their way of life. Why wouldn't I be interested in their language as well? If I moved to France I would learn to speak French (in my own good time). I guess everybody is different. I met one American way out in the country. He's been living and running a business there for over 5 years but he doesn't speak any Thai whatsoever. I thought this was a little strange at first but it works for him. Each to their own.

If I like a country and the people who live there and their way of life. Why wouldn't I be interested in their language as well? If I moved to France I would learn to speak French (in my own good time). I guess everybody is different. I met one American way out in the country. He's been living and running a business there for over 5 years but he doesn't speak any Thai whatsoever. I thought this was a little strange at first but it works for him. Each to their own.

please tell us how many foreigners have moved to Thailand because they like the people who live there and their way of life.