60Day Tourist Visa To Retirement Visa From Samui Immigration

I think you are going to find it will have to be done out side Thailand.... Penang Malaysia will be the closest., that takes two days....

But it won't be an official retirement visa.... You can only do that in your home country.... I forget the type you get..... although it is basically, the same... (O visa, I think) ....

You cannot extend a tourist visa for retirement purposes, you first have to convert it to a Non-O visa. I don't know if Samui will do that and might send you to Bangkok. The cost is 2000 baht, but it can be done. Then during the last 30 days of the Non-O permission to stay you can extend it for retirement purposes. if you live in Samui you have to use Samui immigration to do this. The cost is 1900 baht. The financial requireents are either 800000 baht in a Thai bank in your name only, or an affidavit from your embassy stating that you are receiving at least 65000 baht/month from overseas. If you use the bank method, the money has to be seasoned for at least 2 months when you apply for the extension, but does not when you apply for the Non-O conversion.

• Like 2

If you are over 50 , a requirement for a retirement extension, you should be able to get a single entry Non-o. Use the reason" to investigate retirement opportunities". You will get 90 days upon entry and will give you enough time to open a bank account, transfer the money and have it seasoned before you apply for an extension. If you are going to do this, make arrangements with your bank before leaving OZ so that the money transfer will go smoothly.

If you are over 50 , a requirement for a retirement extension, you should be able to get a single entry Non-o. Use the reason" to investigate retirement opportunities". You will get 90 days upon entry and will give you enough time to open a bank account, transfer the money and have it seasoned before you apply for an extension. If you are going to do this, make arrangements with your bank before leaving OZ so that the money transfer will go smoothly.

I am over 50, Is it possible to get multi entry Non-O?

If you are you married to a Thai or have Thai children in Thailand, yes. I doubt that you could get a multiple entry to investigate retirement, but doesn't hurt to ask the consulate directly.

Edited by wayned

Rules can and do very from immigration office to office. 30 day visa exempt (BKK) with 7 days to go, letter from bank stating the required 800k+, 9 days old. Converted to an O-visa on the spot. Went back in 90 days resubmitted paper work and received the extension based on retirement. Kap Choeng Immigration Surin.

The conversion of tourist visa to non immigrant 90 day entry for retirement extension of stay is 2,000 baht and requires the same financials (without seasoning) and paperwork as retirement extension of stay - normally major immigration offices can do this but if not you can always do in Bangkok. 60 days later you would extend using TM.7 in the normal manner for 1,900 baht. There is no need to leave Thailand if you have 15 days or more remaining on current tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

If using bank deposit that would be letter, passbook and copies plus copies of passport, visa, entry and departure card as for extension and some form of where you live should be available. And being over age 50 if for retirement.

If using bank deposit that would be letter, passbook and copies plus copies of passport, visa, entry and departure card as for extension and some form of where you live should be available. And being over age 50 if for retirement.

Fixed deposit is accepted or saving only?

Is it possible to get the Non-O visa in Sydney?

But I don't see this type listed in their web site?

http://www.thaiconsulatesydney.org/country/a/australia#country/a/australia

You cannot get single entry O visas at the consulate in Sydney or the embassy in Canberra. They only do the OA visas.

You can get them at any of the honorary consulates listed here http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/consulate.html .

I think you are going to find it will have to be done out side Thailand.... Penang Malaysia will be the closest., that takes two days....

But it won't be an official retirement visa.... You can only do that in your home country.... I forget the type you get..... although it is basically, the same... (O visa, I think) ....

Wrong

You can convert a tourist visa to an O visa at immigration, about 2,000 baht then apply for a retirement permit the same visit. No need to go back to home country for retirement. You will have to show proof of income etc. as other posts have stated. It also makes sense to get a re-entry permit at the same time, either single or multiple, then you can leave at short notice, for emergency etc. without having to run around trying to get one at the last minute. If you leave without one then you will loose your retirement permit.

Have had retirement permit for over ten years and never a problem.

• Like 2

To continue on the topic of retirement visas. Has anyone dealt with Express Visa and Law Office. Their ads basicly state: "Over 50? No funds? We can guarantee a retirement visa" Seems a bit boastful but anything is possible here.

You cannot extend a tourist visa for retirement purposes, you first have to convert it to a Non-O visa. I don't know if Samui will do that and might send you to Bangkok. The cost is 2000 baht, but it can be done. Then during the last 30 days of the Non-O permission to stay you can extend it for retirement purposes. if you live in Samui you have to use Samui immigration to do this. The cost is 1900 baht. The financial requireents are either 800000 baht in a Thai bank in your name only, or an affidavit from your embassy stating that you are receiving at least 65000 baht/month from overseas. If you use the bank method, the money has to be seasoned for at least 2 months when you apply for the extension, but does not when you apply for the Non-O conversion.

It was my understanding that on the first retirement the money had to be seasoned for three months there after only two months. Or do I have that backwards. I am sure they will also have to get a medical report, Which is easily obtained at any hospital.

When I did mine in Canada I had to have a criminal check done. it was only a look at what was on the records where I lived. I don't think they require that if you apply here.

Seasoning for the first extension is 2 months, 3 months thereafter. No criminal background or medical checks are required for an extension, only for the O_A visa obtained in your home country. However, there have been a few reports in the past the a few offices do require a medical certificate.

It was my understanding that on the first retirement the money had to be seasoned for three months there after only two months. Or do I have that backwards. I am sure they will also have to get a medical report, Which is easily obtained at any hospital.

<snipped>

Yes, you got that backwards. It's two months for the first extension and three months for every subsequent extension. And there is no requirement for a medical certificate.

Sophon

You cannot get single entry O visas at the consulate in Sydney or the embassy in Canberra. They only do the OA visas.

You can get them at any of the honorary consulates listed here http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/consulate.html .

It does not list any honorary consulates but Consulate General Offices only.

It does not list any honorary consulates but Consulate General Offices only.

They are clearly identified as Honorary Consuls as below for Brisbane

Honorary Consul-General Mr. William JJ Dunn

Wrong

You can convert a tourist visa to an O visa at immigration, about 2,000 baht then apply for a retirement permit the same visit. No need to go back to home country for retirement. You will have to show proof of income etc. as other posts have stated. It also makes sense to get a re-entry permit at the same time, either single or multiple, then you can leave at short notice, for emergency etc. without having to run around trying to get one at the last minute. If you leave without one then you will loose your retirement permit.

Have had retirement permit for over ten years and never a problem.

Actually not wrong, unless they have changed the process in Samui, in the last eight months.... they will send you to Malaysia.... Penang or KL or KB....

I know a few people who have tried to do this, and been sent south! .... It may be different at other immigration offices.