Where Did You, Do You Rate Compared To Your Countries Average Wage?

theblether

Average Wage Indicator  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a wee bit reluctant to open this can of worms but financial issues are coming to the fore again.

The average wage in the UK is around £26,000pa, it's up to each member to have a look at the figure for their own country.

To me it's patently obvious that the continued industrialisation and development of Thailand would push up the cost of living. Chiang Mai is being crushed by the dual forces of farang ghetto-isation along with the surge in second home ownership by wealthy Bangkokians.

Other parts of Thailand are going the same way, the prices in Sukhumvit are at Western levels already, and as the Thai middle class grows the only way is up. To me, the days of below average earners retiring comfortably to Thailand are numbered, that's even before taking into account the vagaries of exchange rates.

The growth of the Thai middle class is the silent enemy of retirees, it is they who are pushing up prices throughout the country.

The purpose of the poll, which is private, is to draw ( further ) attention to this exponential growth in the cost the cost of living in this country. It doesn't matter if the exchange rate stabilizes to the level you would like, the cost of living in this country is going to grow way out of track with some people's expectations.

My prediction? BKK will be completely out of reach for average retirees within 20 years, it will be the equivalent of retiring to London. CM won't be far behind, and the Islands are already getting to that point.

So have a look at the poll, be honest with yourself, are you able to handle this growth in the cost of living?

Not sure what you wanna do with the results... but given the fact that you only talk about wage and not assets, given the fact that age is nowhere in your calculation, given the fact that people with higher salaries tend to spend more and thus might not safe as much as they could... I don't see that the result will tell you anything of importance.

I didn't want to make the OP overly long.......the poll is more aimed at getting people to look at their income/expectation ratio.

If you live on an average wage in your home country, up till now that would have given you a good retirement in Thailand. The problem is though, that Thailand is disappearing. South Korea went from being agrarian to being a cutting edge country in about 30 years.

I have no doubt that it will be a long time before all Thailand ever gets to the level of South Korea, but a lot of the areas that Westerners currently gravitate towards are going to be priced out of the market for the average earner.

A little glitch with your poll Mr B, it wants me to vote in every section, doesn't seem to understand that having retired I don't have jobs both in my old country and Thailand as well!

@theoldgit I've not voted yet. I speak to people all the time that plan to retire to Thailand and I worry that they may entrap themselves. Right now the exchange rate is grabbing all the headlines but I feel in the longer term it's the growth in the middle class wealth of the country ( industrialization and development too ) that will present the biggest challenge to retiree's

You live in the Sukhumvit corridor, you must already be wincing at some of the prices you see.

A little glitch with your poll Mr B, it wants me to vote in every section, doesn't seem to understand that having retired I don't have jobs both in my old country and Thailand as well!

Sorry....I don't know if the mods can fix that?

That's how multiple question polls work here. You MUST vote in all sections or you can't vote at all. When designing multiple question polls like this, you need to add an option like NOT APPLICABLE for EACH section unless you are sure the questions will be applicable to all people voting.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry....I don't know if the mods can fix that?

I've added a N/A answer to each question, this will allow you to answer it question and register your vote.

• Like 1

That's how multiple question polls work here. You MUST vote in all sections or you can't vote at all. When designing multiple question polls like this, you need to add an option like NOT APPLICABLE for EACH section unless you are sure the questions will be applicable to all people voting.

Thanks JT, I wasn't aware of that......I see it's been fixed now so thanks to the mods for that.

'the growth of the Thai middle class is the silent enemy of retirees". Man you have a way with words!thumbsup.gif

IMO, the ones with the real problem with the rising prices, are the 80% of the Thai population not belonging the middle class. Not a few retirees, who are here by choice!

Thanks, I do try my best smile.png

Anyway the poll is aimed at Thaivisa members, so I thought I would do a poll that was relevant to us. Who would have thought eh?coffee1.gif

@theoldgit , You live in the Sukhumvit corridor, you must already be wincing at some of the prices you see.

Yes I do, but we have the choice of eating in local trendy wine bars or pubs for 2 to 3,000 Baht, or walking to our local beer garden and enjoing a decent Thai meal washed down with a couple of jugs of beer for sub 1000 Baht, we can still eat some decent Pad Thai or other Thai foods for under 300 Baht locally, we find a combination of all works well for us.

• Like 2

I find it odd that some here seem to have a strange obsession with how much other people have or do not have, however they couch the terminology.

I can easily see this turning into another form of snobbery and bickering.

And the average wage in a country has nothing at all to do with what people really earn on a weekly basis.

• Like 2

You nailed it Guesthouse.

I do remember the first outflow of people to the Costas and the Canaries in the 80's, equally I can remember many of them scurrying back when recession hit in the early 90's.

There was a secondary, and quite frankly, massive bubble during the late 90's and the Noughties, for too many people it turned into a complete nightmare. Now that was a nightmare on their doorstep as Spain is only a hop, skip and jump away from home, and is a EU member, but when things turned sour, it didn't matter. They were still stranded in a foreign country, assets tied up in a crashing market, with nowhere to call home in the UK.

You've pointed out the market conditions that have created a bubble in Thailand, and I think we both agree, the market is going to correct soon, and permanently. People should really consider that.

Honestly, how could one not afford to live in Isaan or somewhere like that where a dentist/doctor visit is less than London cabfare, assuming that you have some subsidy from a Western government?

Social security in the USA is at least a $1,000 a month I believe which is obviously enough money to survive in Isaan.

These cost of living topics are always silly because the cost of living varies greatly depending on how you wish to live. But when the Thai daily wage is 300b a day, it is ridiculous for many to claim that one cant possibly survive on 40k baht a month/insert random number.

Your missing the point here......of course we could all retreat into deepest Isaan / Nan / insert backwoods area here.......that's not the point of the thread.

Entire zones which are currently populated by pensioners will soon be out of reach for the guys on an average income. People planning a happy retirement to Samui / Sukhumvit / even CM are going to find it tough to say the least.

It will be a result of the increasing prosperity of the Thai middle class, in fact Thailand on the whole, eroding the economic advantage currently experienced by many.

I find it odd that some here seem to have a strange obsession with how much other people have or do not have, however they couch the terminology.

I can easily see this turning into another form of snobbery and bickering.

And the average wage in a country has nothing at all to do with what people really earn on a weekly basis.

re the obsession, I made the same point on another thread this morning......the only reason why I started this thread ( and I did say reluctantly ) was that I feel people are fixating on the wrong issues re financial well being.

A lot of people I know would be delighted if the exchange rate returned to 50/£. If you offered that rate nailed to the mast for 20 years there would be a rush to grab it.

As a rule of thumb South Korea 1960 and Thailand 1960, same same.......agrarian economies. You wouldn't say that about South Korea now, and there's few that could afford to retire there. The same thing is going to happen to the prime real estate in Thailand, it doesn't matter if the rate is nailed at 50, inflation is going to blow you out.

Agreed , the Thailand of the present is more expensive for today's aspiring retiree than it was 20 years previously , but it was also more attractive then for many reasons .

Given the current trends in this country , I'm not so sure that such large numbers of folk will even consider it as a prime retirement option, and not only based on financial aspects .

• Like 1

Honestly, how could one not afford to live in Isaan or somewhere like that where a dentist/doctor visit is less than London cabfare, assuming that you have some subsidy from a Western government?

Social security in the USA is at least a $1,000 a month I believe which is obviously enough money to survive in Isaan.

These cost of living topics are always silly because the cost of living varies greatly depending on how you wish to live. But when the Thai daily wage is 300b a day, it is ridiculous for many to claim that one cant possibly survive on 40k baht a month/insert random number.

But the one aspect you have forgotten about, is what happens if the Thai goverment increases the financial requirements for a farang to live here legally ?.....while the amount of money someone spends in a day may be debateable to a certain degree....what would happen for example if they changed the current THB 800k or pro-rata monthly pension to the equivilent of THB 1.5 million p.a.

TB not trying to be pedantic but maybe you are missing some options? What about all the offshore workers/working abroad but not in home country or Thailand?

What about them ?
Where do you stick yourself in the poll?

TB not trying to be pedantic but maybe you are missing some options? What about all the offshore workers/working abroad but not in home country or Thailand?

What about them ?

You could answer question 2, even though you are not living in your own country, you should know whether what your earning is above or below average for your own country

What about them ?

edit.....yup go with soutpeel, answer question two as it's almost certainly more relevant as you are earning outside of the country.

Edited by theblether

But the one aspect you have forgotten about, is what happens if the Thai goverment increases the financial requirements for a farang to live here legally ?.....while the amount of money someone spends in a day may be debateable to a certain degree....what would happen for example if they changed the current THB 800k or pro-rata monthly pension to the equivilent of THB 1.5 million p.a.

If they didn't give the "grandfathering" option (those in the system stay in the system on their current pricing), then yep, that could ruin a lot of peoples days.

It would certainly slow the number of people considering the move.