New Thai Movie "grean Fictions" Has Pattaya Plot Angle

Jingthing

It's a typical Thai movie, pretty cheesy comedy romance thingie, but I think people in Pattaya would be amused to see how they deal with the Pattaya plot angle. I can't really recommend it as a great movie but I've seen worse Thai movies.

There is also a gay angle, typically Thai stereotypical but not exceptionally offensive, including the not-gay leading character dancing in a gay go go bar in Boyztown.w00t.gif

For showtimes: (Choose Chon Buri)

http://www.movieseer.com/th/showtimes.aspx

It's playing now so if you want to catch it, don't dawdle, these kinds of films generally don't have long runs.

http://www.enjoythaimovies.com/

A group of high-school boys in Chiang Mai enjoy the finals years of
their adolescent lives and try to negotiate the unpredictable path of
growing up. The story centers on Tee, a sensitive boy who lives with his
wayward and lovesick sister. After a domestic complication, Tee runs
away from the northern city and ends up in Pattaya. As his friends and
teachers try to bring him back for the final exam, Tee learns his life
lessons the unusual way.

I had a drama attempting to buy tickets for this show at Central Pattaya Beach. I saw from the website and also on the electronic sign in the theater that it was of course a Thai language film with ENGLISH subtitles. I was told by a clerk, NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES. Well, I didn't really believe her so I left. Then I saw a second clerk and asked her, assuming there was a misunderstanding. She also said NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES. Then I said well your sign says there are and the websites say there are at YOUR theater, so are you REALLY SURE there are no English subtitles. Then the first clerk doubled down and starting yelling at me: If we weren't weren't sure, would we tell you this? I then mentioned the website and she didn't believe me and asked me to show her. Well my mobile was loading slowly and then there was a line, so I just gave up and went to the Avenue where the clerk informed me yes subtitles. Bottom line: I do not believe there were no subtitles at Central Pattaya Beach. Yes I know often Thai films are shown w/o titles especially at Big C but I am sure the clerks were wrong. But of course if they tell you no subtitles and then there really aren't you have no grounds for asking for a refund.

Edited by Jingthing

My take on the totally annoying behavior of the clerks, especially the yelling one, was that they didn't really want to take the energy to mentally process (and correctly communicate) the difference between Thai movies without subtitles and Thai movies with them. It's like they assumed f-rangs wouldn't want to see a Thai movie anyway any more than they would want a correctly spiced tom yum goong. It was just easier (lazier) to try to scare f-rangs away and how dare someone challenge their information.

I like the Avenue better anyway!

To those who say, become fluent in Thai and you won't have such problems, sure thing, but Thai movies with subtitles are an EXCELLENT way to learn more Thai!

Edited by Jingthing

I don't understand what is happening with SF cinema at Central Festival because they seem to be showing old films? In fact, one film is called “ the Lincoln lawyer “ 2011 and it's been shown on Sophon Cable Tv 2 or 3 times within the last couple of months. Why would anyone pay money to go to the cinema to see a 2011 movie that is shown free on the TV?

Not only that the choice of movies overall right now seems pretty dismal.