Can You Run A Computer At Ambient Temperature In Bangkok?

ChristianPFC

This sounds like a stupid question, but I noticed that all places with computers (internet shop, offices) have air con. I intend to buy a computer and use it in my room in Bangkok mainly without aircon, that is currently 33 degree Celsius when I come back home in the evening.

If I hadn't had the following problem with my laptop in Europe, I wouldn't even have thought that temperature might be a problem: After the battery died, it got hot at ambient tempterature (20 degree Celsius in Europe) and switched off automatically after about 1 hour of operation without warning and with loss of data. When I ran it outside (winter, zero degree) or in the cellar (12 degree) no problems. I had to convert to 50% usage (i.e. run it half an hour at 20 degree, standby for half an hour to cool down) and save regularly to avoid data loss.

Is anyone here running a computer at ambient temperature?

Edited by ChristianPFC

your laptop probably had a cooling issue such as cooler and/or fan clogged with dust or an inoperative fan. might also be a defect component heating up anormally.

About your question: yes, computers can run at 33 degreess ambient temperature, many will slow down because of the heat though.

If I were you, I would take particular care of mounting a huge fan-powered cooler on the CPU. Replacing the same on the GPU probably makes sense too.

Yes you can run laptop or server on ambient temperature. I think the key is to enable airflow (and possible get a fan underneath the laptop as suggested). Those are available everywhere with few hundred baht.

Make sure that the computer is clean of dust and the fan's are in good shape.

Example of highly used laptop:

These are readings from an newish i5-core laptop, which turned into home server due bad build quality of the display hinges (Lenovo Edge).

The laptop is sitting on the desk and have no external cooling. Ambient temperature is in the evening 31.5C. It has been running non-stop full CPU load for about 3 days now. Doing high CPU intensive work.

The laptop fan is running and keeps the internal temperatures below overheating.

# sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +95.0°C  (crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +87.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:         +87.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:         +85.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Seems that the Core temperatures go up to 98C, but still below the critical level :)

External fan might be a good idea after all..

As far as I can see the OP doesn't specifically say he's going to buy a laptop. He says he will buy a computer.

My desktop is on 24/7 and the temperature in my room can soar to 36 degrees on a really hot day. Never had any problems. The computer is mounted in a desk but with plenty of air circulation on all sides.

My laptop gets really hot if I work in 30+. If I make sure the floor fan that is cooling me is also directed at the laptop side fan vent it runs a lot cooler.

Used to have a laptop fan pad - it expired along with old laptop (expiry of which was not a heat issue), must get another.

Yes you can run computers without A/C but you need to make sure you have ample cases fans and airflow (make sure fans don't get clogged up, or that you blocking them etc..) Also make sure your case fans are installed with a clear airflow direction (such as sucking air in the side and out the back, and not trying to suck air in from every direction).

As others have mentioned you can get upgraded fans for CPU/GPU (or get crazy water cooling systems etc...) but I find that fan/heat syncs that come with CPUs are pretty good already. In the past CPUs used to ship with some really crappy fans.

I have noticed that I tend to go through Power Supplies and Video Cards rather quickly in Thailand. Not sure if this is down to the heat or irregular power input?

Edited by dave111223

I'm on my third cooling pad for my laptop. The first two were cheap and started making noise. Paid about twice as much for this one and it's been quiet so far. The laptop gets hot without it.

The OP mentions buying a computer so this is with regard to a computer and NOT a laptop.

The average room temperature in an non-airconditioned room in Bangkok in April isn't a problem for conventional computers. A PC will only overheat if the built in cooling is reduced or fails. As mentioned, most PC are on the floor and quickly suck in dust and debris and get warm. Similarly, the internal cooling fans on CPU's, power supplies and particularly the small ones on VGA boards can fail quite quickly. Most modern BIOS setups will alert the user if the CPU temperature exceeds maximum range and shut down the machine before damage occurs. More sophisticated BIOS will monitor case temperatures and act in a similar fashion. High-end VGA boards usually have some sort temperature monitoring and reporting utility that gets installed along with the drivers.

However, the fan that fails most frequently and can cause most damage is the one in the power supply. This one can seize up and cause quick and catastrophic PSU failure that may in turn fry the motherboard before any fuses blow.

The OP should make sure that his desktop PC is on the desktop to reduce dust being drawn in as well as allowing the occasional visual check on the PSU fan turning. Most fans get noisy before they croak and having the PC on the desk gives one a better chance of hearing an impending fan failure.

With regard to laptops, pretty much ALL newer, multi-core CPU'd laptops will benefit from a GOOD cooling pad, more so in a non-airconditioned environment.

Edited by NanLaew

The thing is, a PC running will heat up the living space, so you might wish you did have A/C regardless.

About cooling the CPU; you can find all-in-one water cooling systems now, for about B2.5K at most IT malls, which should work well at reducing the "hot-spot" effect of an enclosed case.

Edited by RandomSand

Yes you can run computers without A/C but you need to make sure you have ample cases fans and airflow (make sure fans don't get clogged up, or that you blocking them etc..) Also make sure your case fans are installed with a clear airflow direction (such as sucking air in the side and out the back, and not trying to suck air in from every direction).

As others have mentioned you can get upgraded fans for CPU/GPU (or get crazy water cooling systems etc...) but I find that fan/heat syncs that come with CPUs are pretty good already. In the past CPUs used to ship with some really crappy fans.

I have noticed that I tend to go through Power Supplies and Video Cards rather quickly in Thailand. Not sure if this is down to the heat or irregular power input?

...or is it down to bitcoin mining?

On a more serious note I run a fairly powerful computer 16 hours a day. It is idle for about 4 hours of that on average. I tend to do a mix of large image manipulation (medium intensity), coding (low intensity) and gaming (high intensity). I run A/C if the temperature hits 40+, but that is for me (though I'm sure the computer doesn't mind).

As has been said before the success is probably down to a larger case, allowing plenty of space between components, and plenty of decent fans working together. I also have a HTPC (Home Theatre PC) that doesn't need A/C. Again the trick is plenty of space inside the case and adequate fans working together. Cleaning fans is a weekly occurence and a blast through with compressed air for the insides once a month.

Both cases can come highly recommended. One is a Coolermaster (CM690 Advanced...for you geeks) and the other is a BitFenix (Prodigy...again for the geeks).

Direct sunlight, however, will greatly reduce lifespans.

Edited by draftvader

moisture seems the bigger problem than temperature.

Could well be, my desktop PSU went bang after a 'rest' of 4 weeks last month. It's been fine for several years before but that was in our A/C condo, this time it's in the house, no A/C just natural ventilation and ambient air.

moisture seems the bigger problem than temperature.

Fans do a lot to keep the moisture from getting into components. Running the air-con in the room for an hour or so a day also helps. You can buy silica gel packs and put them in your case as well, though they need to be replaced quite regularly if you use them.

Condensation can be an issue with water cooling systems as well. Here is a lengthy thread on that issue. Bear in mind that you need a peverse mind and a lot of time to read this thread, but these guys ARE enthusiasts!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275185-29-exploring-ambient-water-cooling

Agree with most of the recommendations above. Something to think about is your modem if you have one?

I have recently installed a USB powered laptop cooler under my modem to keep it cool and happy.

Something I would recommend as the modem will fry under high ambient and may not fail completely, just cause problems.

Cheers

One of the things to do is a regular dusting of the fan mesh on your pc - laptop or desktop. It is amazing what dust and crap will be sucked towards and cover the fan vents at the back. Basic Housekeeping !!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally bought a laptop (Acer Aspire E1-531, I left this open in the op as I was not sure about laptop, desktop or all-in-one) and it runs without problems at ambient temperature (33 degree Celsius) for two hours and a half, then the battery was down (even after the warning of 15 minutes remaining, it lasted another 30 minutes). The laptop doesn't warm too much, I didn't use a cooling pad. The modem works at ambient temperature as well.

The power supply of my laptop however gets hot in operation.

The previous laptop (overheat after 1 hour at 20 degree Celsius), I checked the fan and grille, there was no blockage by dust.

Edited by ChristianPFC

Computer Heat should be no problem. Best is to left the Computers Case open is possible.

I know it sound strange but even a very hot power supply (too hot too touch it long) doesn't mean it will fry. I am using laptop (Lenovo T400s and PC with a Gaming GPU) also sometimes without A/C and never had problems.