Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Is there anyone on this thread that could shed some light on the astonishing news that Downing and Henderson have been chosen to go to the euro's? Only replies from Liverpool fans please as i think you have seen far more of them than fans of other clubs.

Apart from being the most dog average England squad in my living memory i think that Downing in particular, far from playing well and earning a pick, has let his club and former manager down badly by his half hearted lazy performances.

Liverpool's owners are keen for the club's new manager to be in place for at least four to five years, but there is no front-runner at this stage.

Tom Werner and John W Henry have begun the search for the Reds' fourth boss in two years after sacking Kenny Dalglish and have a number of names in mind.

The new boss is likely to get a transfer budget of over £30m.

Intermediaries acting for the club have spoken with Andre Villas-Boas, but he is unlikely to get the job.

Kenny and the Kop

• 10 August 1977: Liverpool sign Dalglish from Celtic for British record £440,000

• 20 August 1977: Scores first Reds goal, against Middlesbrough, after inheriting Kevin Keegan's number seven shirt
  • 10 May 1978: Scores winning goal in European Cup final
  • 27 May 1981: Helps Liverpool win another European Cup
  • 1982-83: Forms a superb strike partnership with Ian Rush, wins PFA Player of the Year
  • May 1985 - Appointed Liverpool player-manager. Wins the Double in his first season in charge
  • 22 February 1991 - Announces shock resignation after leading the club in Hillsborough commemorations
  • 4 July 2009 - Returns to Anfield in ambassadorial role after spells with Blackburn, Newcastle and Celtic
  • June 2010: Puts himself forward as a possible replacement for Rafael Benitez, but Roy Hodgson is preferred for manager's role
  • 8 January 2011 - Appointed as caretaker manager in wake of Roy Hodgson's sacking
  • 26 February 2012 - Lifts the Carling Cup with win over Cardiff
  • 5 May 2012 - Defeated 2-1 in the FA Cup final by Chelsea on season's second Wembley final
  • 16 May 2012 - Sacked by Liverpool

The Portuguese was sacked by Chelsea in March.

Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is also not thought to be in the running. The Americans are known to have been impressed by Wigan manager Roberto Martinez but no talks have taken place.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has often spoken of his admiration for the Anfield club and it is thought he would be willing to grant the Spaniard permission to discuss the post with Henry and Werner.

Liverpool's owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) are keen to appoint a replacement at the earliest possible opportunity.

Dalglish left for Spain on a planned family holiday on Wednesday night. His wife Marina wrote on Twitter: "Really sad day for us a family but we all remain LFC fans. All so proud of Kenny."

On Wednesday, sources close to Henry were keen to stress the American owners do have a clear vision for the future of the club and are likely to appoint three senior directors in the coming weeks.

Meetings have been held with a number of potential directors of football, including Johan Cruyff and former Barcelona sporting director Txiki Begiristain, while they have also spoken to at least one candidate to fill the chief executive's role.

Henry and Werner are also thought to be close to appointing a new director of communications to replace Ian Cotton.

While the departure of Dalglish has left something of a power vacuum at Anfield, FSG felt they had to act given Liverpool's failure to challenge for a Champions League qualifying place, a clear target at the start of the season.

Liverpool's most recent annual report revealed that the club's prolonged absence from the competition had cost the club a minimum of £30m in revenue each year.

While the owners were encouraged by the Carling Cup victory in February, the first silverware since 2006, it could not cover up the failings of a poor Premier League campaign.

Steve Clarke, Dalglish's assistant, has stepped down out of loyalty to the 61-year-old Scot.

Final thoughts on the season.

Really enjoyed Getting to two finals as I wasn't expecting that. And getting some silverware for first time in a few years, oh and dumping Everton, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and others out of the cups smile.png beating Chelsea and Everton home and away of course.

Some very good performances in the season but badly failed to finish chances and kill teams off which you could almost say was the worse luck (hitting the post the amount of times we did)

Our league performances for some games were unacceptable with some players not even looking to play with any passion...and some frustrating home performances against so called weaker opposition a issue for a few years now.

Fantastic to have a man like Kenny back and he'll know what to do and build on this squad over the next few seasons if the owners give home the time.

Need to be very astute in the market this summer to get a striker/wide man that can finish and a quality creative midfielder with some experience.

Feeling very optomistic for next season knowing that we've got the right man in charge and the right man in the dugout next to him.

Roll on the new season!

YNWA

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

Seems your easily pleased Dev 23.gif strange that there was no mention of getting nowhere near the champions league positions but you did win the Egg cup so i suppose that makes up for it 113.gif

Seems the board were not so easily pleased !

On Wednesday, sources close to Henry were keen to stress the American owners do have a clear vision for the future of the club and are likely to appoint three senior directors in the coming weeks.

Meetings have been held with a number of potential directors of football, including Johan Cruyff and former Barcelona sporting director Txiki Begiristain, while they have also spoken to at least one candidate to fill the chief executive's role.

Henry and Werner are also thought to be close to appointing a new director of communications to replace Ian Cotton.

Clueless I call that. Name me one footy team where a major BOARDROOM shake-up by current owners has made a material difference to a team's performance on the pitch. It's a typical corporate reaction though; to try to strengthen "the board". More meddling in, and more undermining of a manager's role if you ask me.

I used to work with American business partners. Dont assume that Kenny is safe if you don't win the FA Cup! If you win the FA Cup they will give him until Xmas to show top 4 capability.

What the F%#K are you on about? You know this how exactly? I used to work with an alien from Mars, but I have no idea about Martian politics and cannot read minds. Hence my decision not to make wild statements about the future of Mars in general

Bump

What does Bump mean??????

I used to work with American business partners. Dont assume that Kenny is safe if you don't win the FA Cup! If you win the FA Cup they will give him until Xmas to show top 4 capability.

What the F%#K are you on about? You know this how exactly? I used to work with an alien from Mars, but I have no idea about Martian politics and cannot read minds. Hence my decision not to make wild statements about the future of Mars in general

Bump

Bring to the top of the pile an old post.

Bump

Bump !!!!!!! it's a dance aint it

gutted but not that surprised really. FSG haven't shown that they have too much of a clue of what they're doing so far so they had better have a plan in place to sort this out now. no CEO, no director of football, no manager, no new stadium. hey, we've got a new kit manufacturer though eh?

villas boas odds have dropped markedly overnight. he could be an interesting one. i just find that i don't trust these owners to make the right decisions at all yet.

I'll let it go this time lads. But please keep it civil.

thank you jocko, but with respect you don't see me trolling the everton thread referring to dixie dean as 'an idiot'. if friend sharecropper sets out to deliberately cause offence he should expect some back.

gutted but not that surprised really. FSG haven't shown that they have too much of a clue of what they're doing so far so they had better have a plan in place to sort this out now. no CEO, no director of football, no manager, no new stadium. hey, we've got a new kit manufacturer though eh?

villas boas odds have dropped markedly overnight. he could be an interesting one. i just find that i don't trust these owners to make the right decisions at all yet.

Well a long term appointment is the way to go. AVB maybe or someone else who can take it forward. Last thing ya need is more defensive stuff though. I don't think the likes of Mourinho are really Liverpool's style of play.

Mind you who knows what is AVB's? He was all over the place at Chelski!

I've also read Deschamps is in the reckoning and if so that could be interesting too. His track record is very decent and achieved with little to spend

Just edited to add Jurgen Klopp to that list.

If the new cadidate is looking at this longterm as the owners are supposed to be then it should not matter that Liverpool are not in the CL next year

Edited by carmine

Well a long term appointment is the way to go. AVB maybe or someone else who can take it forward. Last thing ya need is more defensive stuff though. I don't think the likes of Mourinho are really Liverpool's style of play.

yes, we need to put a long-term plan in place and the owners need to back it up. villas boas plays a high-tempo pressing game with lots of pace, that's what he did at porto and that's what he tried to do at chelsea but didn't have the players to do it. think we've kind of got (some of) the players to go that way too now. he'd be an interesting choice. serious, serious pressure on FSG to get this right now or they'll simply lose any faith the fans still have in them.

I've also read Deschamps is in the reckoning and if so that could be interesting too. His track record is very decent and achieved with little to spend

few seasons ago deschamps looked interesting. marseille have been as <deleted> as liverpool in the league this season though. there are others i'd rather we went after than him.

Is there anyone on this thread that could shed some light on the astonishing news that Downing and Henderson have been chosen to go to the euro's? Only replies from Liverpool fans please as i think you have seen far more of them than fans of other clubs.

Apart from being the most dog average England squad in my living memory i think that Downing in particular, far from playing well and earning a pick, has let his club and former manager down badly by his half hearted lazy performances.

henderson isn't in the squad is he? he might be in the olympics one though.

i wouldn't have picked downing myself. but then i don't think he'll even play. it's a very hodgson choice that - probably sees him as some sort of plan b to lump crosses in should england be behind in a match. yes, that would be stewart 'no assists in 36 games this season' downing. the same.

yes, we need to put a long-term plan in place and the owners need to back it up. villas boas plays a high-tempo pressing game with lots of pace, that's what he did at porto and that's what he tried to do at chelsea but didn't have the players to do it. think we've kind of got (some of) the players to go that way too now. he'd be an interesting choice. serious, serious pressure on FSG to get this right now or they'll simply lose any faith the fans still have in them.

few seasons ago deschamps looked interesting. marseille have been as <deleted> as liverpool in the league this season though. there are others i'd rather we went after than him.

Think you might have just missed my edited post.....Klopp looks a real standout for me. Only 44 years old and little budget needed in his success. He's german so i'd expect you lot to become shit hot at taking penalties too!!

henderson isn't in the squad is he? he might be in the olympics one though.

i wouldn't have picked downing myself. but then i don't think he'll even play. it's a very hodgson choice that - probably sees him as some sort of plan b to lump crosses in should england be behind in a match. yes, that would be stewart 'no assists in 36 games this season' downing. the same.

He's on stanby and it looks like Parker's achilles might be worse than expected. Funny, similar to Kyle Walkers injury even though scrotum face said he's be in a disco the following day!

Edited by carmine

Think you might have just missed my edited post.....Klopp looks a real standout for me. Only 44 years old and little budget needed in his success. He's german so i'd expect you lot to become shit hot at taking penalties too!!

i like klopp a lot but i can't see why he would dream of leaving dortmund right now. champions league football next season with them, as german double winners.

He's on stanby and it looks like Parker's achilles might be worse than expected. Funny, similar to Kyle Walkers injury even though scrotum face said he's be in a disco the following day!

hmm. if parker didn't make it i'd probably call up micah richards and take phil jones as a defensive mid. henderson's raw yet.

Been reading some other blogs in the UK about the Daglish sacking or moving aside, some fans saying that he should have been given more time, but those were the same fans who wouldn't give old Roy a chance.

Loads of people wanting Rafa back, but I think a younger person is required, but has to be strong enough to stand up to some of the senior players (so AVB is out of the running). Someone suggested Steve Nichol, who has been a coach in the US, and with the link to Liverpool and the owners being American, could be a possibility

i like klopp a lot but i can't see why he would dream of leaving dortmund right now. champions league football next season with them, as german double winners.

This is difficult to say but i suppose i'm going to have to.......Liverpool are a big club and there are i believe few managers that wouldn't want this job on their cv.

He might viewDortmund as a stepping stone to a big job.

Been reading some other blogs in the UK about the Daglish sacking or moving aside, some fans saying that he should have been given more time, but those were the same fans who wouldn't give old Roy a chance.

old roy had us heading for relegation. seriously.

i grudgingly agree with the decision to replace kenny this summer as he just doesn't seem to have the old magic he used to have. still won a cup and got to the final of another though. it's the way it's been done that sort of sticks in the craw most. he's one of the club's three legendary figures and the owners had better be sure they know what they are doing here.

hmm. if parker didn't make it i'd probably call up micah richards and take phil jones as a defensive mid. henderson's raw yet.

I think its a mistake not taking Richards full stop.

This is difficult to say but i suppose i'm going to have to.......Liverpool are a big club and there are i believe few managers that wouldn't want this job on their cv.

indeed, it is a very big job, amongst the biggest in the game. so it is still an attractive post, but only so long as the owners are prepared to back the manager root and branch. we're sort of back to where we were in 2004 when rafa benitez arrived. and he took us right back up to the very top. so we'll see. my gut instinct says they'll go after villas boas. with david dein advising them though i wouldn't rule out someone like laurent blanc.

indeed, it is a very big job, amongst the biggest in the game. so it is still an attractive post, but only so long as the owners are prepared to back the manager root and branch. we're sort of back to where we were in 2004 when rafa benitez arrived. and he took us right back up to the very top. so we'll see. my gut instinct says they'll go after villas boas. with david dein advising them though i wouldn't rule out someone like laurent blanc.

Villas-Boas could work but h'll need solid backing right through the club. He also needs to get rid of that stupid black raincoat he wears at matches because it maked him look like a schoolboy. He needs to show more gravitas. Mindyou, i doubt he'd suffer the player power problems he suffered at Chelsea

I'll let it go this time lads. But please keep it civil.

thank you jocko, but with respect you don't see me trolling the everton thread referring to dixie dean as 'an idiot'. if friend sharecropper sets out to deliberately cause offence he should expect some back.

It really wouldn't bother me at all if you called Moysey an idiot (or the next Liverpool manager). You called me much worse, but I'm never going to get upset at abuse on a web board!

Villas-Boas could work but h'll need solid backing right through the club. He also needs to get rid of that stupid black raincoat he wears at matches because it maked him look like a schoolboy. He needs to show more gravitas. Mindyou, i doubt he'd suffer the player power problems he suffered at Chelsea

well FSG have put their necks on the block here. if they've sacked kenny without having a plan in place and a new manager all but done and dusted - one who they are prepared to back financially - then they're screwed really. as are we!

well FSG have put their necks on the block here. if they've sacked kenny without having a plan in place and a new manager all but done and dusted - one who they are prepared to back financially - then they're screwed really. as are we!

Totally agree. This though, is your typical Seppo employer reaction to an employee who they see as not pulling their weight.

The one thing i cant understand in all of this is, when Torres put his transfer request in, he more or less cited the fact that yet another "long term plan" was in place, and he didnt feel that, at 27 years of age, he could hang around waiting. (That, and some reference to "broken promises" that were allegedly made to him)

Similar, in fact to the Owen affair. Now, say what you like about him, but this "long term plan" seemed to be his tipping point.

Sacking some of your key staff and management after one bad season of rebuilding doesnt strike me as "long term"

A bad, sad day in the history of LFC was when we "went for the Yankee Dollar" IMO.

Even Moores would be preferable to what we've had at the very top since he sold up

Penkoprod

I think that was the original plan when FSG took over.

A youngish manager with a Director of Football.

In hindsight its a pity they didnt implement it in the first place

Ian Ayre has just said on Sky Sports News that there ISNT a manager in the frame, or a plan in place