Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

I think that was the original plan when FSG took over.

A youngish manager with a Director of Football.

In hindsight its a pity they didnt implement it in the first place

Ian Ayre has just said on Sky Sports News that there ISNT a manager in the frame, or a plan in place

ian ayre's pretty full of <deleted> i think. i'd be pretty happy to see him on his way if we're cleaning house this summer.

villas boas down to 5/4 fave with william hill. if he or someone similarly young is to be team manager they're going to need a strong and experience DoF above them.

How do you feel about that Steve ?

Chelsea didn't give him a chance with their so-called 5 year plan - could it work at Liverpool ?

i think he knows his stuff but he is very, very young. tactically i like how he sets his teams up and he helped develop guys like hulk and falcao into terrific players at porto. it could work at liverpool so long as he's properly backed and there's a strong, more experienced director of football in place above him.

he was the wrong man at the wrong time with chelsea. abramovich wanted another mourinho and that's not what villas boas is.

If Rafa was so good and got you right to the top!!! whistling.gif why is he not the certainty he would be?

BBB

BRING BACK BENITEZ thumbsup.gif

because the owners don't believe in revisiting what are perceived, however wrongly, as past mistakes.

Maybe Stevie.....this is without doubt a very very important decision these guys are making and will shape the club for years to come.

Time is what is needed and they have already proved they are not going to be tolerant on a manager who wins a cup and gets you to another final in basically his first season.

Sooo who is going to take the job looking at those points?

Or will it be somebody who thinks he is going to be given time only to get shafted after a season of mediocrity,very difficult for anybody to take on now except foor the money of course wink.png

He had to go, but a true gentleman to the end:-

Dalglish departed with one last defence of his second Liverpool reign. "I feel proud that we delivered the club's first trophy in six years, winning the Carling Cup, and came close to a second trophy in the FA Cup final," he said. "Of course, I am disappointed with results in the league, but I would not have swapped the Carling Cup win for anything as I know how much it meant to our fans and the club to be back winning trophies.

"Whilst I am obviously disappointed to be leaving the football club, I can say that the matter has been handled by the owners and all concerned in an honourable, respectful and dignified way and reflects on the quality of the people involved and their continued desire to move the football club forward in the same way as when they arrived here."

I thought Alan Hansen expressed it rather well in the Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9271098/Alan-Hansen-Kenny-Dalglish-will-be-torn-apart-by-the-way-his-love-affair-with-Liverpool-has-ended.html

I liked KK as a footy person. Thought he should have been given more time as well, regardless of my own affiliations. It sends entirely the wrong message to have sacked him so soon into a "restructuring" (but I also thought the same about Roy).

http://www.telegraph...-has-ended.html

I liked KK as a footy person. Thought he should have been given more time as well, regardless of my own affiliations. It sends entirely the wrong message to have sacked him so soon into a "restructuring" (but I also thought the same about Roy).

Premature sacking, but thats football, if you go martinez , he's Astute tactically and has really good knowledge of foreign players.

give him some time and imo he will do a good job.

http://www.telegraph...-has-ended.html

Premature sacking, but thats football, if you go martinez , he's Astute tactically and has really good knowledge of foreign players.

give him some time and imo he will do a good job.

Who ever goes there is on a hiding for nothing, i can see end of next season whoever comes in getting the sack as there is no way liverpool will get in the champions league so the owner have set the bench mark nothing less than that and it is failure, i actually thought Dalglish was getting it right and in some games liverpool looked a half decent side and with a few additions would have been up there next season.

Well bindippers it suddenly come to me this morning the reason why you will never be a great club again, quite simple really, NO PASSION AT THE TOP.

To my thinking, passion filtering down from the top incapulates the whole club and without this you will always struggle.

What a diffrence Mr.Martinez ( if he gets the job) will find, from a Chairman and board who are mad passionate football people to a board who really know zilch about the english game , it's values and history.

I'm not even sure that the new board know about THE LIVERPOOL WAY 4.gif

• Like 1

Well bindippers it suddenly come to me this morning the reason why you will never be a great club again, quite simple really, NO PASSION AT THE TOP.

To my thinking, passion filtering down from the top incapulates the whole club and without this you will always struggle.

What a diffrence Mr.Martinez ( if he gets the job) will find, from a Chairman and board who are mad passionate football people to a board who really know zilch about the english game , it's values and history.

This is totally correct. The difference at Old Trafford is that they have a personality like Ferguson who is percieved as the "club" and view the Glasiers with a degree of irrelevence in footballing terms. The passion from the "top" is Ferguson.

Aside of this, i think they'll will go with Martinez and bottle out of choosing Villas-Boas. I will be pleased for him if he gets it too, he's a very decent guy with an astute tactical brain

This is totally correct. The difference at Old Trafford is that they have a personality like Ferguson who is percieved as the "club" and view the Glasiers with a degree of irrelevence in footballing terms. The passion from the "top" is Ferguson.

Aside of this, i think they'll will go with Martinez and bottle out of choosing Villas-Boas. I will be pleased for him if he gets it too, he's a very decent guy with an astute tactical brain

I wont be pleased carms, i'd like him at Spurs !

I wont be pleased carms, i'd like him at Spurs !

Me too! Good tactician, tries to play flowing football, loyal, and a gentleman. We would definately give him our backing too. thumbsup.gif

would be enormously disappointed and underwhelmed with martinez. nice bloke and all that but he isn't a top quality manager and has never shown any real sign of becoming so. would be a pretty midtable appointment by the owners if they went in that direction.

• Like 2

would be enormously disappointed and underwhelmed with martinez. nice bloke and all that but he isn't a top quality manager and has never shown any real sign of becoming so. would be a pretty midtable appointment by the owners if they went in that direction.

Yet he tactically outwitted Dalglish at anfield. Tell me mate, how many other managers in the league do you think could have kept wigan up like he has. Its also very unfair to dissmiss him like this when he's never had a chance to manager a decent squad.

What he has proven is that he can get the most out of nothing. There is also nothing to suggest for example that AVB would do as well as him...if anything, on his premier league performance so far he's get you relegated.

What AVB has proven is he can manage very well indeed at a lower level

Dave whelan already been on SSN.

Gutted too but like any manager at any club you have to give them a chance.

Edited by longstebe

Dave whealen already been on SSN.

laugh.png Like you lot did for Roy......45 minutes wasn't itclap2.gif

On a serious note, i really hope Martinez, if appointed, doesn't get the vitriol dished out to Roy.

Do liverpool fans have something against managers that don't need to spend huge amounts of money? Starting to look that way.

• Like 1

On a serious note, i really hope Martinez, if appointed, doesn't get the vitriol dished out to Roy.

Do liverpool fans have something against managers that don't need to spend huge amounts of money? Starting to look that way.

Ha Ha.

If he's happy taking a point off a team like Wolves then I'm sure he will get a slating.

I'm sure any supporter would love to win the Premiership on a tight budget.

roy brought all of that vitriol on himself at liverpool.

"Do liverpool fans have something against managers that don't need to spend huge amounts of money?" - silly comment that carmine.

Ha Ha.

If he's happy taking a point off a team like Wolves then I'm sure he will get a slating.

If your home crowd can dish it out to a middle aged dude with a speech impediment who infact had a better home record, despite the abuse, than Dalglish, i have no doubt Martinez would also suffer serious abuse.......whether it be because he wasn't a legendary player, couldn't serve a decent espresso or didn't understand the Liverpool way.

• Like 1

Ha Ha.

It's never been done.

If your home crowd can dish it out to a middle aged dude with a speech impediment who infact had a better home record, despite the abuse, than Dalglish, i have no doubt Martinez would also suffer serious abuse.......whether it be because he wasn't a legendary player, couldn't serve a decent espresso or didn't understand the Liverpool way.

none of those things are reasons that hodgson was unpopular at anfield carmine. you're rather way off here.

the owners, the absentee landlords, have just unceremoniously sacked a club legend. a man who has won league titles with different clubs as a manager. a proper giant of the game. a man who has forgotten more about football than they will ever know. if they then replace him with the likable bloke from wigan who has never managed a big club, is young and inexperienced and who battles relegation every year, the abuse will be directed the way of the owners, not roberto martinez.

roy brought all of that vitriol on himself at liverpool.

"Do liverpool fans have something against managers that don't need to spend huge amounts of money?" - silly comment that carmine.

He didn't bring it on himself at all. It was a simple case of petulance on the part of Liverpool fand because he is i agree very uninspiring, but more importantly he was an appointment by H&G and you lot wanted Dalglish. That combination meant he never had a chance and probably wasn't the right choice anyway but all said the abuse was disgraceful. Blackburnesque. Added to this the way the slightest comment was jumped on it all looked rather pathetic.

Anyway, thats old news, and we'll never agree. What is strange is how you percieve Martinez? He's a no brainer step up from Dalglish. He's young, astute and has great potential. Most fans would very much like to see what he could achieve at a bigger club with better players. He would also stick with you for the longterm.

And your description of underwhelming. Underwhelming is true dependent on who you are compairing him to right?

Did Benitez sign Martinez before biggrin.png or do you think that his 35% win ratio in his managing career is good enough for the mickeys.

No experience with a "big "club at all and another mistake by the board.

There's a slim Spanish waiter in town.

Will any new manager have to sign up to the Sabermetrics/Moneyball theory of buying players? It doesn't seem to be working, whatever it was. Or will it get quietly tossed.

Abrak, is the manager supposed to work this out or leave it to the Yanks to deterine who to buy?

I ask because whoever was operating the system didn't buy well, and if those bad buys were down to someone other than KK, using some flawed theory, it is even worse to visit KK with punishment for them having been non-performing buys.

Edited by sharecropper

Will any new manager have to sign up to the Sabermetrics/Moneyball theory of buying players? It doesn't seem to be working, whatever it was. Or will it get quietly tossed.

Abrak, is the manager supposed to work this out or leave it to the Yanks to deterine who to buy?

I ask because whoever was operating the system didn't buy well, and if those bad buys were down to someone other than KK, using some flawed theory, it is even worse to visit KK with punishment for them having been non-performing buys.

commoli was sacked. dalglish has now been sacked too. i would hope that they will appoint a senior, experienced director of football who tells them where to shove any talk of moneyball and just sets about scouting good players and trying to sign them for the best value possible.