Do Tourists All Think Expats Are Married To Ex-'working Girls'?

Neeranam

Last night I met a 60 year old guy who was visiting Thailand for 3 months. We had a drink together and started talking about my being married. I told him I had been married for 12 years and he was totally shocked saying wow it lasted that long. He then asked if she had ever worked as a bar prostitute! I mean <deleted>, how ignorant and rude can you get. Got me thinking how many tourists think like this. I'll add that I'm not in Pattaya, where I could understand such an assumption.

• Like 2

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very rude drinking company you had! Hope you said thank you and walked away!

Not all do, i think. But a lot of tourists are prejudiced, sadly.

I did make an exit about 10 minutes later. I joked that I hoped that my wife was never a bar prostitute thinking what an incredible xxxx the guy was.

How would others respond?

Edited by metisdead
Profanity
  • Like 1

I did make an exit about 10 minutes later. I joked that I hoped that my wife was never a bar prostitute thinking what an incredible xxxx the guy was.

Good on you!

And good follow up question: How would you respond if a farang you do not know, out of the blue suggests your wife was an ex pro?

• Like 2

I would have punched him in the face.

I think that is over-reacting. If my wife was there, then I probably would.

The trouble is that guys like the 60yr old mentioned by the OP are exactly the type that give the wrong impression and create the stereotype. I've only been married 4 years myself and the best way to deal with these ignorants is to speak Thai and piss on their parade .!

• Like 1

I would have punched him in the face.

Without a doubt that's what I would have done.

Neeranam, but I think his comment says more about him than anything.

It's sad that many guys never venture much farther than the bar areas, so their limited views on Thailand and it's women has not evolved beyond the women they encounter and sometimes marry.

• Like 2

I´m sorry but this is common behavior of many European tourists visiting Thailand. Their unwillingness and ignorance in learning facts about the country's people and culture is what we refer to as being "uneducated".

• Like 2

i would think a very high percentage of tourists or even people who haven't been to thailand,would make the assumption that all thai/western couples are either exbargirls or "mail order brides",this is re-enforced to them when they see older guys with much younger asian wives or westerners who have asian wives much more attractive to them.

Before thailand was the flavour of the month it was filipino wives.

It certainly seems to be that way in australia anyway.

So the Ozzies took all the Filipinos . When I went to Fillipines, I thought the women were generally more attractive than Thais.

• Like 2

Are TV posters that dim to think thats its only the uneducated ones who turn tricks/work in bars ? and here we have TV finest accusing tourists of being ignorant and prejudiced

Unfortunately, I think they are.

It's amazing how many times I run across people that think ALL ex-bar-girls will eventually rip you off and that "respectable" girls won't.

I just smile and change the subject.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

HOW IGNORANT AND RUDE U ARE TOO.

You have assumed everybody that has a thai gf/wife who they met in Pattaya are bargirl prostitutes,how rude and ignorant u are

and if a Statisitical survey was done you would most likley find that assumption is correct within 1 standard deviation

BTW not all working girls come out of bars, some actually work respectable jobs and earn a few bucks on the side...wink.png

i didnt know that, pmsl.There are still plenty who dont do freelancing too.Correct or not correect,i would have been verey angry if he said it to my face,the same anger as the op,but i would have taken it much further

Define prostitute. Is that were a women sleeps with a man for money? So after 20 years of marriage if the woman gets half a million dollar settlement does that make her a whore? Or is this term used only when its a cash transaction on the night?

Of course it doesn't make her a prostitute - prostitution is a job and involves sleeping with many men.