Stereo Receiver Repair In Cm

zippydedodah

My Onkyo receiver (which i brought from USA 4 yrs ago and runs on 120 with a transformer) just keeps shutting off. I have chatted with Onkyo online and reset it, etc... but it will barely stay on for 1 minute at this point, so obviously needs some repair.

Tried the local CM Onkyo rep and they said i would have to send (at my expense) to BKK to a service center there. HMMMMM... i don't think so...

So.. wondering if anyone has had experience with a good receiver repair service here in town and specifically one that is not intimidated by the fact that it is 120V from USA.

thanks in advance

Zippy

Amorn.

But you need to tell everyone in the building that it runs on 120 V and stick big warning notes on the thing in English, Thai, Burmese and pictogrammes to ONLY use it with the transformer, or someone will find a way to fry it. tongue.png

Here: http://goo.gl/maps/uOStH (Zoom out or enlarge the thumbnail map in the bottom right corner to see the map)

EDIT: Additional thought: Perhaps you could also ask them to rip out the existing power transformer unit inside the thing that transforms 120V to whatever the thing runs at, and replace it with a 220 Volt one that supplies the same voltage/wattage.. Then you don't need to deal with a transformer anymore. If you're truly lucky then that's the very thing that's broken. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Amorn.

But you need to tell everyone in the building that it runs on 120 V and stick big warning notes on the thing in English, Thai, Burmese and pictogrammes to ONLY use it with the transformer, or someone will find a way to fry it. tongue.png

Here: http://goo.gl/maps/uOStH (Zoom out or enlarge the thumbnail map in the bottom right corner to see the map)

EDIT: Additional thought: Perhaps you could also ask them to rip out the existing power transformer unit inside the thing that transforms 120V to whatever the thing runs at, and replace it with a 220 Volt one that supplies the same voltage/wattage.. Then you don't need to deal with a transformer anymore. If you're truly lucky then that's the very thing that's broken. wink.png

thanks for that WTK... i will give them a try this weekend... and will also look into the power supply change over... good suggestion!

I am not sure I would trust Amorn with anything reasonable or hi-end. They never got it right on the simple stuff I took to them.

I think, if it is a nice receiver, I would send it to an Onkyo representative. Shipping can't be that much...

As far as changing the transformer - I am sure only the original will fit inside and have all the correct windings. It can be done (possibly easily), but they will have to get the part from somewhere overseas - you may wait months. And a transformer will cost a fortune (my guess over $100 to just get the part).

Also, I too would not trust anybody to not plug my 110volt stuff into 220. I think I would cut the power end of the Onkyo, and wire it permanently to the transformer! Send the transformer in with the unit. Really...

There is a shop on the third floor of KSK that sells used good quality stereo components. I'm not sure whether they do repairs.

And some of his stuff are 100V Japanese imports so I am sure he is used to dealing with alternate voltages.

There is a shop on the third floor of KSK that sells used good quality stereo components. I'm not sure whether they do repairs.

would you happen to have a name for this shop? KSK is kind of a big place... based on what WJMark said, perhaps i should look at other options first and KSK seems like a good one.

thanks

I am not sure I would trust Amorn with anything reasonable or hi-end. They never got it right on the simple stuff I took to them.

I think, if it is a nice receiver, I would send it to an Onkyo representative. Shipping can't be that much...

As far as changing the transformer - I am sure only the original will fit inside and have all the correct windings. It can be done (possibly easily), but they will have to get the part from somewhere overseas - you may wait months. And a transformer will cost a fortune (my guess over $100 to just get the part).

Also, I too would not trust anybody to not plug my 110volt stuff into 220. I think I would cut the power end of the Onkyo, and wire it permanently to the transformer! Send the transformer in with the unit. Really...

Many manufacturers use the same motherboards and components for both 110 and 220. It's entirely possible that all that is required is a reconfiguration of some links inside, to send the incoming power to a different winding on the transformer.

That said, if they did have a transformer with a dual primary in there they'd likely have included a selector switch to select 110 or 220, so maybe not the case with this device. But I have seen devices (that didn't have a selector switch) where a 2 minute soldering job was enough.

If the transformer's 110 only he's SOL and yes, it could get expensive if it's a good quality toroidal in there...

• Like 1

I would send it to Onkyo in BKK. It could not cost that much to repair. Send it by EMS about 100 THB.

Why are you opposed to sending it to Onkyo BKK? Just curious.

I think it would cost 3K THB+ to get the new transformer.

I use Amorn for repairs on almost everything. But for HiFi I would probably go for the original manufacturer.

• Like 1