Alleged Defamation Of Yingluck: M I C T Threat To Shut Down Websites ' A Rights Violation'

webfact

ALLEGED DEFAMATION OF PM
MICT threat 'a rights violation'
Chanikarn Phumhiran,
Anuphan Chantana
The Nation

Democracy allows open criticism, rights man says on Facebook row

BANGKOK: -- Minister Anudith Nakornthap of the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (MICT) should not overstep his authority by threatening to shut down websites that carried allegedly defamatory remarks against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra by cartoonist Chai Rachawat on Facebook.

National Human Rights commissioner Niran Pitakwatchara said yesterday such threats were a violation of basic rights of Thai citizens and that the right to criticise is a foundation of democracy. The prime minister should instead use criticism as feedback to reconsider her conduct and improve her work, Niran said, adding that if criticism were deemed false and defamatory, then the matter should be settled in the courts.

"The government or executive branch should not overstep its authority by forbidding the expression of views by the people in a democracy because this is akin to depriving people of basic rights," Niran said.

Opposition Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said he was surprised by MICT's threat because it came from a government that had previously insisted that the Computer Crimes Act is undemocratic. He added that some in the government were also against the lese majeste law and the crackdown on lese majeste messages on the Internet and mobile phones.

Abhisit said the latest move goes against democratic principles.

The MICT minister insisted that he was doing his duty and that he had the authority to do so.

He urged anyone who finds offensive messages on the Internet to report them so they could be "immediately removed".

He added that if the intention was to defame the prime minister, the website could be shut down and the persons responsible prosecuted under Article 326 of the Criminal Act, which could lead to one year in prison and a fine of Bt20,000.

In a related development, Prime Minister's Office Minister Varathep Ratanakorn said freedom had limits stipulated by law. Similar measures have been taken in the past and the authorities will handle the matter speedily.

The ministry insisted the message comparing Yingluck to a prostitute selling away Thailand was vulgar and did not constitute proper criticism.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-07

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MICT would have to shut the entire Internet down to prevent anything that can cause Thailand's high status elite to lose face or stop their criminal behind closed doors affairs....

Depends what they interpret as defamation, over the years I have found most Asian politicians to be thin skinned when the pressure comes on , although I see they are not afraid to defame others or issue treats etc when it suits them, in a democracy , which Thailand isn't , generally when you are in the public eye you must expect flack, that's par for the course , stopping people from making fun in cartoons or criticising issues , will eventually bring people to the conclusion that they are hiding something, which they generally are ,like incompetence.bah.gif

• Like 2

The ICT minister says he will use his authority to protect anyone who is defamed but we know what he really means. Since the alleged defamation will be judged by him and his ministry and not a court the slightest criticism of Yingluck will so easily be deemed offensive and the site shutdown. We are looking at yet another massive abuse of power and typifies what this government, PTP and the reds are all about as instructed from Dubai.

We can assume the websites calling Mark and Suthep 'murderers' and 'Hitler' will not be deemed offensive.
  • Like 2

...this presumably from a minister of a cabinet which regularly kisses hands with a convicted criminal.

Funnily enough, hands were not the part of the anatomy, which immediately sprang-to-mind, but somewhere more fundimental ! laugh.pngsick.gif

does she not realize it is only a cartoon

the more fuss she kicks up about it ... the longer it will stay in the news

the longer it stays in the news the more chance people look into what she is actually doing

the more people realize what she is or is not doing ... the more chance she is unemployed after the next election

For the last few weeks my TOT internet link regularly goes down for a few minutes. Just now typing a reply to a post it happened again. Must be pure coincidence of course. My posts are always within acceptable limits whistling.gif

Are they going to block Skype? Sent from my Phone.

Don't worry, because that would render them helpless.

Skype is this governments livefeed line.

Edited by jbrain

For the last few weeks my TOT internet link regularly goes down for a few minutes. Just now typing a reply to a post it happened again. Must be pure coincidence of course. My posts are always within acceptable limits whistling.gif

Do you ever notice a van with blacked out windows in front of your house ?

Same with my 3BB line. Up and down like a PMs drawers.

Stupid and inflammatory posts like this will only bring trouble to TV

• Like 1

This is good to hear , you are being watched, like all of us.