Call For Total Smoking Ban At Thailand's Main International Airports

webfact

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem is the lack of ventilation - Dubai and Qatar smoking rooms are such smoke-filled hell holes that I always change my shirt before boarding. A good example to follow is Cape Town Intl: The smoking room is a large modern bar with internet access points, comfortable seats and large floor to ceiling windows (so that you don't feel like a prisoner) - the ventilation is excellent (No 'hanging smoke').

• Like 2

I am a smoker and I know that smoking is bad for my health as well as others who maybe around me. I try to find a quiet place alone without anyone else around when I choose to smoke. But flying and traveling for a long time is stressful if you are a smoker. I usually buy about 2 packs of chewing-gum before I fly just to take my mind off smoking while in flight. If they were to close the smoking rooms at the departure gate area it would be cruel as that is they last chance for my to say goodbye to my partner the "ciggy" for 17 hours. If you are not a smoker or have quit then you never need to walk into these smog filled rooms, stay away but please don't take them away from the people who need them.

Agree. I used to smoke and found the smoking rooms at the airports a place to relieve stress before my flight. Smokers should be afforded a place to smoke as drinkers should be allowed to imbibe. It all comes down to doing so responsibly. The smoking rooms could be more efficient in containing fumes, but they are few and far between, so what's the fuss? Not being able to breathe with all the stubble burning is a far bigger issue, as has already been pointed out.

• Like 1

Thank Buddha I quite smoking over 5 years ago, but I totally think they should have smoking lounges for those that need it. Invest a few Baht into better ventilation and sealing of the rooms. With the amount of cash the airports receive in taxes cut down on the corruption and invest.

Perhaps they could copy Singapore and have an outside balcony from one of their smoking rooms. No need to ''switch on'' air filters then or even clean them and no one would notice the extra smoke for most of the year. Like you I stopped, 10 years ago, it was giving me earache. Nag Nag Nag!

The 'healthy' alternative . . . instead of cooping up smokers (a filthy, disgusting habit for sure . . . well, it has been for the last 14 years since I stopped) in tiny rooms with inadequate filters etc...

Grown ups take the good with the bad.

Children complain...

I agree.

Look at all the children complaining about not being able to pollute the planet as if it is their given right.

As a non smoker, I have noticed that the majority of the complaining and moaning is comming from my fellow non smokers about others who like to participate in a legal liesure activity. Very amusing I think. Hey I don't like it so you can't eithersmile.png Each unto thier own I guess, personally I couldn't care less if people smoked or not, I have made my personal choice and I am happy with it.

I say build them a decent and proper room and let them smoke.

I agree, as long as they do not do it in public in areas where it is not tolerated, like restaurants etc.

A boxed room for them everywhere would be fine.

We could walk past and look at the weaker individuals of society all sitting in their cage, enjoying themselves.

• Like 2

Singapore's smoking area is a fantastic roof garden with potted palms and a bar. Open air, very pleasant indeed, and I would imagine profit-making, as they sell beer for truly fantastic prices.

Eventually, smoking will be marginalized so much that it would be like smoking opium today. That is where people's attitudes towards smoking is heading to. Give it a bit more time, the smoking will finally be banned. I stopped smoking 20 years ago. Hooorah!

• Like 2

So are they going to ban Alcohol in airports also ?

Some one we all know very well is on her high horse over freedom of speech..... Well where's my freedom in able to having a smoke while waiting many hours at an airport.

Why is it we all know Alcohol is the root of all evil, but this is permitted at all times at airports and during the flight.

I know who I would rather sit next to...... Someone just come out of a smoking room than someone on Alcohol any day !!

So you anti smokers who like a drink.... Let's take your rights away also... No Alcohol in all airports! Why should you sit and be able to consume something that kills and destroys life's everyday but we can not.

And comments about it being a passive evil killer will be ignored!! Just better air circulation is needed and if it says "smoking room" this way only..... I suggest you turn around

ps... That's to you also English Airports !! Ban smoking... Ban alcohol.... make it fair pleasethumbsup.gif

I've never noticed a smell of smoke at swampy so I'll have to take the word of those who did the research but I'll admit I'm surprised that it's that much of a problem. I assume it'll bring them in line with a lot of other countries though.

As for alcohol v smoke I think the difference is you don't get second hand alcohol if you sit next to someone who's drinking. If they're drunk then it's them that causes the problem not the alcohol. I'd certainly support action against anyone found to be drunk and causing problems.

• Like 2

I was thinking maybe she could spend some time researching into the quality of drinking water, or toxic waste being dumped near klongs, in klongs, in the sea, or drugs use or sexually transmitted diseases - you know, health issues like that...p

I didn't realize that she hadn't done anything like that - was that in the article?

Anyway, it was only a joke. I agree with you on the relative importance of such things.

I must've been a bit slow last night! Didn't see the joke at all - now I do! biggrin.png

As an ex-smoker for 30+ years, I hate to smell other peoples' smoke and just hold my breath if I am passing a smoker in the street. I often hold my breath for other reasons when passing people in the street - people coughing, sneezing, etc. It's good practice for when you walk near open sewers. bah.gif

For God's sake is it so hard to make a smoking room that doesn't leak???

The doors are often held open by those using them........

Such generous, considerate souls that they are.

It is probably because they find the smell so disgusting....

• Like 1

Grown ups take the good with the bad.

Children complain...

I agree.

Look at all the children complaining about not being able to pollute the planet as if it is their given right.

As a non smoker, I have noticed that the majority of the complaining and moaning is comming from my fellow non smokers about others who like to participate in a legal liesure activity. Very amusing I think. Hey I don't like it so you can't eithersmile.png Each unto thier own I guess, personally I couldn't care less if people smoked or not, I have made my personal choice and I am happy with it.

I say build them a decent and proper room and let them smoke.

I agree, as long as they do not do it in public in areas where it is not tolerated, like restaurants etc.

A boxed room for them everywhere would be fine.

We could walk past and look at the weaker individuals of society all sitting in their cage, enjoying themselves.

Yea and then when we get out of the terminal we can walk past the bars and look at the weak individuals enjoying themselve with 19 yr old bargirls on thier knees and drinking alcoholthumbsup.gif Will be like on big zoo holiday. Who needs to go to the temples when you can stare at tourists in rooms

I am a smoker, so why don't we just charge the smokers a small fee for using the smoking room and use that money for better ventilation, a security guard to keep the room clean and the door closed, better facilities like tables and chairs, an automat for purchasing soft drinks and beer, so that no attendant has to be in the room, free use of a lighter, because some airports collect them, before you board a flight and many more things, I could think about. I would pay that small fee, but I am sure the money would be spent somewhere else.

I am a smoker, so why don't we just charge the smokers a small fee for using the smoking room and use that money for better ventilation, a security guard to keep the room clean and the door closed, better facilities like tables and chairs, an automat for purchasing soft drinks and beer, so that no attendant has to be in the room, free use of a lighter, because some airports collect them, before you board a flight and many more things, I could think about. I would pay that small fee, but I am sure the money would be spent somewhere else.

Nice idea but King Power would probably charge the equivalent of a price of cigarettes to enter.

I am a smoker and I know that smoking is bad for my health as well as others who maybe around me. I try to find a quiet place alone without anyone else around when I choose to smoke.

You are a considerate smoker, rare among those who choose to puff away whenever, and wherever it suits them.

If all smokers were courteous enough to walk outdoors to enjoy a quiet smoke, away from others, there would be no need for authorities to introduce strict 'No Smoking' laws. But sadly, there are too many arrogant smokers who spoil it for those around them, thus forcing the authorities to introduce and to apply the regulations

Smokers are now a minority....a dying breed...literally.

Rather than come into this forum crying, demanding, begging for a fair go, why not show how big and tough you really are, and quit the habit. You'll then be able to smell the roses and actually taste how good Thai food really is.

I presume you at least take part in at least one of these..... Drive a car, a glass of wine ,a beer ,ladies of the night (which you pay for which is illegal).. Ride a motor bike ,fly in a plane ( Oh dear big fumes) .

The list could go on.... Now as of today give all these up and lets see how big and tough you are giving up your habits.

And if you say you do not take part in any of these activities then I hope your not close enough to me to catch my passive smoke, because that means i'm sitting in the company of a very boring person.

The bit you just do not seem to get is taking something away from someone and telling you, you Can Not have it.. is Wrong!! What next are we being told we can not have.

This time in does not affect you so it's great.... What ever your craving or habit may be... You can not have it! Be more open with your views and fair..

Let's look at this logically, people fart - no problem, fat people take up too much space - no problem, the brainless espouse their opinion - no problem, drunks are obnoxious - no problem - people smoke - big problem! Now, why don't we all try and get a brain and think logically - farts pollute the world (and stink) - fat people expect to squeeze everyone else up with no problem (disgusting) - the brainless espouse their opinion and expect everyone to listen to the waffle (total crap) - drunks are totally obnoxious and cost every county more money in health care than any other disease (quite apart from causing more problems, getting arrested and, blaming alcohol for every offence they commit) - people screw and bring unwanted kid's (which they have no intention of looking after) into this world -

Smokers smoke, pay more tax which supports the above and only ask one thing - if you don't like it, please move away! Oh, and please keep your mouth shut!

You don't have to pay more tax. That's your choice, don't whinge about it. Perhaps if you don't agree with other people disliking your smoke and your smell you could move away.

It'd be nice if you could put a sock in it too.

• Like 1

I am a smoker and I know that smoking is bad for my health as well as others who maybe around me. I try to find a quiet place alone without anyone else around when I choose to smoke.

You are a considerate smoker, rare among those who choose to puff away whenever, and wherever it suits them.

If all smokers were courteous enough to walk outdoors to enjoy a quiet smoke, away from others, there would be no need for authorities to introduce strict 'No Smoking' laws. But sadly, there are too many arrogant smokers who spoil it for those around them, thus forcing the authorities to introduce and to apply the regulations

Rather than come into this forum crying, demanding, begging for a fair go, why not show how big and tough you really are, and quit the habit. You'll then be able to smell the roses and actually taste how good Thai food really is.

I presume you at least take part in at least one of these..... Drive a car, a glass of wine ,a beer ,ladies of the night (which you pay for which is illegal).. Ride a motor bike ,fly in a plane ( Oh dear big fumes) .

The list could go on.... Now as of today give all these up and lets see how big and tough you are giving up your habits.

And if you say you do not take part in any of these activities then I hope your not close enough to me to catch my passive smoke, because that means i'm sitting in the company of a very boring person.

The bit you just do not seem to get is taking something away from someone and telling you, you Can Not have it.. is Wrong!! What next are we being told we can not have.

This time in does not affect you so it's great.... What ever your craving or habit may be... You can not have it! Be more open with your views and fair..

I am seeing a link between smoking and stupidity.

Thai at Heart, you are right and that is were the problem is, it is greed and and intolerance by non smokers.

...or is it the arrogance and overreaching sense of entitlement of smokers?

• Like 1

I don't like smoking and really dislike breathing in another person's smoke. But goodness, gracious, this is taking it too far. I understand some people just need to smoke, and others are nervous about flying. It seems to me that a smoking room fits the bill.

I fly all the time, and I almost never smell anything when walking past a smoking room. On the few occasions when I do, like when someone is going in or coming out, well, how hard is it to shift one or two steps further away? I'm past it anyway in two strides.

I's really not that difficult. Enough rooms in each terminal to make it convenient, powerful blowers to take up the smoke, and sealed to the terminal at large.

I don't like smoking and really dislike breathing in another person's smoke. But goodness, gracious, this is taking it too far. I understand some people just need to smoke, and others are nervous about flying. It seems to me that a smoking room fits the bill.

I fly all the time, and I almost never smell anything when walking past a smoking room. On the few occasions when I do, like when someone is going in or coming out, well, how hard is it to shift one or two steps further away? I'm past it anyway in two strides.

I's really not that difficult. Enough rooms in each terminal to make it convenient, powerful blowers to take up the smoke, and sealed to the terminal at large.

A smoker will never understand the unpleasantness of being unfortunate enough to have to sit next to one after he's had a few drags in that room. Why should an airport give smokers the facility of carrying that disgusting smoker room smell on to the aircraft and forcing it on the passengers who have to sit nearby?

• Like 2

>>I don't like smoking and really dislike breathing in another person's smoke. But goodness, gracious, this is taking it too far. I understand some people just need to smoke, and others are nervous about flying. It seems to me that a smoking room fits the bill.

A smoker will never understand the unpleasantness of being unfortunate enough to have to sit next to one after he's had a few drags in that room. Why should an airport give smokers the facility of carrying that disgusting smoker room smell on to the aircraft and forcing it on the passengers who have to sit nearby?

They should be forced to go through a spray unit before boarding the plane.

It could be in full view of all the other passengers also.

Much like a cattle dip.

Edited by itchybum

Thai at Heart, you are right and that is were the problem is, it is greed and and intolerance by non smokers.

Well, one could look at it from a purely financial perspective. By excluding all smokers from any business, you are basically discounting to remove 25 to 35% of any country's population. Why there cannot be a happy medium to provide for ALL I have never really understood. I am a smoker, who tries his best not to annoy anyone, and that's fair enough. But, to not cater for 30% of all the passengers going through a building, with restricted access due to security, seems a bit stupid to me.

I am all for bars, since the owner, owns his business, to choose whether they allow smokers or not, and in that situation, the bar tenders and employees should have a choice whether to work there or not. The idea that in the modern day it is absolutely impossible to separate bars and restaurants so that people can smoke should they wish, and non smokers avoid smokers should they wish is absolutely non-sensical to me, it is just a matter of cost of ventilation and the such.

But then again, 100% of all passengers need a p**s potentially, in the airport, and yet they didn't cater sufficiently for them either. Just make better rooms, with better filters and ventilation systems. Isn't that a better answer than trying to BAN it all together, since there will always be someone trying to sneak one somewhere.

• Like 1

I am seeing a link between smoking and stupidity.

Can you even see us normal mortals, up there from your high horse? Judging a bit harshly I would say.

Shall we compile a list with geniouses who smoked and a list with the most stupid non-smokers? Does that prove anything?

Singapore's smoking area is a fantastic roof garden with potted palms and a bar. Open air, very pleasant indeed, and I would imagine profit-making, as they sell beer for truly fantastic prices.

Korea's airport smoking places look like a VIP room. Good seats, air condition over the smokers places, windows to see the airport activity.

Well, one could look at it from a purely financial perspective. By excluding all smokers from any business, you are basically discounting to remove 25 to 35% of any country's population. Why there cannot be a happy medium to provide for ALL I have never really understood. I am a smoker, who tries his best not to annoy anyone, and that's fair enough. But, to not cater for 30% of all the passengers going through a building, with restricted access due to security, seems a bit stupid to me.

I am all for bars, since the owner, owns his business, to choose whether they allow smokers or not, and in that situation, the bar tenders and employees should have a choice whether to work there or not. The idea that in the modern day it is absolutely impossible to separate bars and restaurants so that people can smoke should they wish, and non smokers avoid smokers should they wish is absolutely non-sensical to me, it is just a matter of cost of ventilation and the such.

But then again, 100% of all passengers need a p**s potentially, in the airport, and yet they didn't cater sufficiently for them either. Just make better rooms, with better filters and ventilation systems. Isn't that a better answer than trying to BAN it all together, since there will always be someone trying to sneak one somewhere.

You misread.

I have been consistent in that as long as smokers do not affect me, I don't care what you do.

So, giving you a special room with better ventilation or outside smoking areas is great...as long as it doesn't affect me.

I don't want to smell you 2nd hand smoke. It's that simple. Nothing to do with a health concern. I just find breathing in what you breathed out pretty disgusting.

I don't think I am being unreasonable in my requests, but smokers seem to want special treatment and some sort of entitlement.

• Like 1

You misread.

I have been consistent in that as long as smokers do not affect me, I don't care what you do.

So, giving you a special room with better ventilation or outside smoking areas is great...as long as it doesn't affect me.

I don't want to smell you 2nd hand smoke. It's that simple. Nothing to do with a health concern. I just find breathing in what you breathed out pretty disgusting.

I don't think I am being unreasonable in my requests, but smokers seem to want special treatment and some sort of entitlement.

Fair enough.

However, there hasn't been any new atmosphere created here since it all started, so it's all share and share alike.

Edited by Thai at Heart