Khao Soy In Pattaya?

action

Hi,

I know I've seen this asked on here before but after a lot of searching I can't seem to find it. If you feel the need to post a comment like, "This has been asked here before a million times you idiot!" Please kindly include a link.

So, the title says it all. I just got back from the north and would really like to find this dish in Pattaya. Anyone know where I can?

Thank's in advance

post-118736-0-48366100-1367981776_thumb.

post-118736-0-17983300-1367981786_thumb.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great question! There USED to be a shop at Carrefour's food court that made khao soy but they're gone now. Chiang Mai Khao soy is super-delicious, and there's just GOT to be some place around here that sells it! Sorry that I can't help... but, I hope someone knows.

post-72929-0-42207200-1367985276_thumb.j

Agreed. Had fantastic khao soy in CM and in Bangkok. But have not really found a good restaurant here. Can't wait to hear if somebody knows one.

Luckily, wifey does a great job with khao soy...but doesn't use coconut milk.

Agreed. Had fantastic khao soy in CM and in Bangkok. But have not really found a good restaurant here. Can't wait to hear if somebody knows one.

" but doesn't use coconut milk. "

why ?

You're in luck guys. 3rd Road - about 5 doors north of the Buffalo Bar. Mostly sells khanom jeen but also does a pretty mean khao soy - chicken (drumstick) or pork (sliced). As good as it gets in Pattaya I reckon.

No signs in English outside - it's next to a visa/lawyer/work permit place. Double shophouse - basic tables with dark wooden stools. Open-fronted with a couple of tables out front. Has parking in front. Khao soy 40-50 Baht.

Enjoy...

" but doesn't use coconut milk. "

why ?

I come from a family with a terrible history of heart problems. Pretty much every male relative over 50 (both sides) has had at least a triple heart bypass. Several passed before age 50 due to bad hearts. So I go a bit overboard with regards to food. I'd prefer to err on the safe side. sad.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_milk#Health_effects

One of the most prominent components of coconut milk is coconut oil, which the United States Food and Drug Administration,[3]World Health Organization,[4]International College of Nutrition,[5] the United States Department of Health and Human Services,[6]American Dietetic Association,[7]American Heart Association,[8] British National Health Service,[9] and Dietitians of Canada[7] recommend against consuming in significant amounts due to its high levels of saturated fat.

Unfortunately, a lot of the food I like here has coconut milk in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dishes_using_coconut_milk#Thai

BTW, one place I've found in Bangkok for a reasonable khao soy is in the Grand Hyatt Hotel on Ratchdamri, A place on the ground floor call You & Me (I think). Last time I was there it was 100 Baht (chicken breast off the bone).

BTW, one place I've found in Bangkok for a reasonable khao soy is in the Grand Hyatt Hotel on Ratchdamri, A place on the ground floor call You & Me (I think). Last time I was there it was 100 Baht (chicken breast off the bone).

Sukhumvit 38 in Bkk (BTS Thong Lo) has a great Khao Soy resto.

Sukhumvit 38 in Bkk (BTS Thong Lo) has a great Khao Soy resto.

Good to know - thanks.

Jimmy, Could you please add another landmark or two for me since I don't know the Buffalo Bar.

Thanks.

Different Jimmy, but it's near and opposite the top of Soi Lengkee (the continuation of Soi Diana Inn), a bit south of there and a few tens of meters south of NY Pizza House and Roo Bar.

I got Khao Soi at the restaurand next to Starbucks (S&C or S&D?) at TukCom building South Pattaya.

S & P.

It's a huge Thailand middle class Thai CHAIN.

That item is something like 130 baht there I think.

I'm not a fan of that chain. The food seems corporate and toned down.

As JT said S&P does a version but no where near as good as I remember it in CM.

Can you get a good Laksa anywhere in Pattaya?

Not a good Laksa but again, a CHAIN restaurant does that.

Secret Recipe. Two locations in Pattaya I think.

At the beach mall and also on beach road south of Royal Garden.

http://www.secretrecipe.com.my/secretrecipe.com.my/page-1691.html

Jimmy, Could you please add another landmark or two for me since I don't know the Buffalo Bar.

Thanks.

Just to be sure....

From Pattaya Klang head south on 3rd road. Keep going past the old Xcite disco site on your right, past a neon sign for the Full Love Inn on your left, past Soi Chaiyapoom on your right. The next soi in your right is Soi Lengkee which has a hardware store on one corner and a Mityon-type motorbike shop on the other corner. About 50 metres past Soi Lengkee on your left (still on 3rd Road) is a car rental place and then a row of around 6-8 shophouses.The khao soy place is the second shop in this row - a double unit. At the end of this row is a small soi and after the soi is The Castle fetish club and The Buffalo Bar. Almost directly opposite on the other side of 3rd Road is a coffee shop called something like Coffee Club. If you're driving down 3rd Road and you pass a bar called The Ranch on your right or if you see a sign for The Village Chippy on your left you've gone too far.

Thanks.

Just to be sure....

From Pattaya Klang head south on 3rd road. Keep going past the old Xcite disco site on your right, past a neon sign for the Full Love Inn on your left, past Soi Chaiyapoom on your right. The next soi in your right is Soi Lengkee which has a hardware store on one corner and a Mityon-type motorbike shop on the other corner. About 50 metres past Soi Lengkee on your left (still on 3rd Road) is a car rental place and then a row of around 6-8 shophouses.The khao soy place is the second shop in this row - a double unit. At the end of this row is a small soi and after the soi is The Castle fetish club and The Buffalo Bar. Almost directly opposite on the other side of 3rd Road is a coffee shop called something like Coffee Club. If you're driving down 3rd Road and you pass a bar called The Ranch on your right or if you see a sign for The Village Chippy on your left you've gone too far.

he could use google street view to look for it before he goes

The khanom jeen shop is between the NY Pizza house and Buffalo Bar - see attached map.

The khao soi is good , but far from Chiang Mai good.

And the journey to the shop is far, but far from Chiang Mai far... Lol.

I agree with you, you can't beat some of the khao soy places up there, but I guess in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king...

As JT said S&P does a version but no where near as good as I remember it in CM.

Can you get a good Laksa anywhere in Pattaya?

Not a good Laksa but again, a CHAIN restaurant does that.

Secret Recipe. Two locations in Pattaya I think.

At the beach mall and also on beach road south of Royal Garden.

http://www.secretrecipe.com.my/secretrecipe.com.my/page-1691.html

I've been known to eat a few cheese cakes from SR, didn't know they did a laksa. Thanks for the tip

• 4 months later...

Khao Soi is actually a Burmese dish, now adopted into Lanna cuisine. I eat it fairly regularly at a little Lanna restaurant on third road. Coming from Jomtien on Thapraya rd, turn right onto 3rd road. Straight through at first set of traffic lights and about a 100 mtrs further along there is a small car park set back on the left hand side. The Lanna restaurant is beside it on the southern side. They do Khao Soi with and without the coconut milk, as you wish. The noodle is about 15 mm wide. Beware the place opens early, is packed between 12 and 1pm and closes when the food is gone, often before 3pm.

Thanks.

Just to be sure....

Do you memorise every single building, bar, shop, restaurant, knocking shop etc etc, as you are going around town?

Archived