90 Day Reporting - Comments & Experiences 2013

Tywais

Arrived at my appointed time of 1:30pm (online queue) for renewal of my retirement visa (extension of stay, for those who insist on the proper terminology) and to transfer from old passport to new.

Instead of going to the usual desks (#5 or #6), I was shown to the back room. I had completed all my paperwork (forms online) and all correct copies made, bank book, etc before arrival.

Apparently, and amazingly, Immigration has decided that one officer can complete all the steps. Interview form, done. Forms checked, done. Copies and bank book checked, done. He handed off my application for transfer of stamp to another girl who also returned it to him completed in about 10 minutes. New passport stamped, Money collected, receipt issued, done. 35 MINUTES TOTAL.

There were only about15 people in the waiting area and numbers seemed to be called rapidly. There was no waiting for 90 day reports. Can't ask for much better than this. clap2.gif

Just curious, were you required to bring a embassy letter stating your income or just show the bank book. For clarification, can you just show the bank book with monthly foreign transfers that equal or exceed the monetary bench mark?

Message sent.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I got my one year extension done last month. I have to return one month later for something. Is this a simple procedure? (Can I stroll in there in the afternoon?)

This topic is about 90 day reports. Why do you introduce one year extensions ??

post-51-0-98695600-1382427399_thumb.jpg

The jest of my post, is to make folks aware, that by doing 90 day reports in the afternoon, you are taking a lot of pressure off the morning hours which can be used for the more complex issues. Still clueless?

That is cool & a well known fact about afternoons which is why I went in the afternoon.

But I am not so blind to not be able to see changes & see the Que being used at that counter

with the 600 series numbers being used & called out. So I grab a number like everyone else.

But go ahead & continue *your* way wink.png

But yes that would be clueless faking like the 2nd type I mentioned above

In my experience if I have every thing in order it is a 3 minute exercise when I get to the head of the line. If I go in the afternoon it is just a short wait occasionally no wait.

Just curious how many people kcore got in front of. Also is he saying he thinks the lady is stupid and dosen't know what is to be done when she sees the papers. He has to inform her.

Guest siamjourney

Are they open tomorrow on Wednesday 10/23/13? I believe it's a Thai holiday. And also is the Mai Sai border crossing open?

Thanks.

The jest of my post, is to make folks aware, that by doing 90 day reports in the afternoon, you are taking a lot of pressure off the morning hours which can be used for the more complex issues. Still clueless?

That is cool & a well known fact about afternoons which is why I went in the afternoon.

But I am not so blind to not be able to see changes & see the Que being used at that counter

with the 600 series numbers being used & called out. So I grab a number like everyone else.

But go ahead & continue *your* way wink.png

But yes that would be clueless faking like the 2nd type I mentioned above

In my experience if I have every thing in order it is a 3 minute exercise when I get to the head of the line. If I go in the afternoon it is just a short wait occasionally no wait.

Just curious how many people kcore got in front of. Also is he saying he thinks the lady is stupid and dosen't know what is to be done when she sees the papers. He has to inform her.

Kcore assumes he goes to the bottom of the pile. If referring to kcore as thinking anyone is stupid, NOT.

My wife and I went to Chiang Mai Immigration Office for our 90-day report for the 1st time. Arrived 3:02pm. Our number was 680. Number on screen was 663. Waited 32 minutes before our number was called. When we went to the counter, the lady was just processing our paperwork as quickly as she could. So quickly that she did not check our paperwork. She told us that it had been a very busy day for her. She hadn't eat lunch and she needed to go to the bathroom. But she couldn't because there were many people waiting in line. We discovered the day before was a Thai holiday. Next time we will make sure that we won't go after a Thai holiday. Hopefully the wait won't be as long.

As I am preparing documents for my 90-reporting, I notice that I don't have the arrival/departure card in my passport. What can I do?

A couple years ago my Arrival/Departure card was missing, did not realize until I reported to the 90 day counter. The guy made a big deal out of the missing card, was pleasant but stern, stressed how important the card was - then he went ahead and provided a replacement card. No fine, just a lecture.

A couple weeks later I found the card all crumpled up at the bottom of my shoulder bag.

Doug

My wife and I went to Chiang Mai Immigration Office for our 90-day report for the 1st time. Arrived 3:02pm. Our number was 680. Number on screen was 663. Waited 32 minutes before our number was called. When we went to the counter, the lady was just processing our paperwork as quickly as she could. So quickly that she did not check our paperwork. She told us that it had been a very busy day for her. She hadn't eat lunch and she needed to go to the bathroom. But she couldn't because there were many people waiting in line. We discovered the day before was a Thai holiday. Next time we will make sure that we won't go after a Thai holiday. Hopefully the wait won't be as long.

So I see by your arrival of after 3pm that the que system is in use for afternoon 90 day reports same as when I went wink.png

But overall I cannot complain as it went quite well for me & like you was out of there in 30 min or so.

It is not like I am so busy smile.png

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

Jai-yen! biggrin.png

Recent posts in some cases seem just to reflect life's daily struggle with bureaucratic this-and-that anywhere, perhaps enhanced with an innocent lack of familiarity with a new place and customs.

I hope the 90-day report clerk, poor girl, got a chance to go to the bathroom, and the other finally got a chance to take a break for lunch. And I hope everyone else got a parking space within a reasonable walk.

The people who work there really do try to be pleasant and do a good job, I think, and they --- like us --- are jammed into a crowded, noisy space often struggling with a second language, sometimes a third or fourth.

Some recent stories and my own forays over the past few weeks into the Immigration bureaucracy seem to reflect Immigration's decided effort to make things go smoother for everyone regardless of which side of the desk or counter. But maybe they could still use a Walmart greeter at the door ! biggrin.png

• Like 1

I think the general concensus is that the 90 dayer is no longer the dread event it was there for awhile. You have a 3 week window of opportunity to do it so just do it at your convenience. One less thing to complain about IMO.

• Like 2

I think the general concensus is that the 90 dayer is no longer the dread event it was there for awhile. You have a 3 week window of opportunity to do it so just do it at your convenience. One less thing to complain about IMO.

Agreed

But I think it really pisses off some of the posters that they can not reasonably complain about it. Unless they are complaining about the reason for it in the first place.

The Staff is doing a fantastic job. Even if paper work was my strong point I would sooner or later loose it with the attitudes some of the clients who come in.

meechal

I like you am retired and by the vary definition of the word am not that busy that I can't go in there for a short period of time four times a year.

• Like 1

That curly headed girl just tears through the process ...... cute.

Also tore through the guy infront of me last week who was asking about permanent residency, she chatted to him briefly in Thai, he explained he could speak no Thai but he was entitled to permanent residency after 3 years of stay.

Unimpressed, she asked in Thai why he didn't learn the language if he wanted to stay for the rest of his life. Again he repeated he doesn't speak Thai, so she said in English to 'talk to the guy over their' pointing at an empty desk.

The driest sense of humour on a Thai I've ever seen. Entertaining at least.

• Like 2

I have heard that some requirements for the 90-day report have been tightened up. Something on the order of having proof of residence (such as a letter from a landlord, lease, rental contract, and so on) Maybe something else. I am not reporting an idle rumor, but I think a very clear accurate report would be helpful.

Otherwise, there is a new "commanding" presence at the 90-Day desk known so far as the "curly-haired" girl/lady, and she seems a bit of a power freak: a sort of schoolmarmish, occasionally sarcastic sort. If I recall correctly: She is the one where as reported elsewhere somewhere else on this forum, an apparently innocent but unprepared and lazy non-Thai-speaking expat, asked about applying for permanent residence, which is a complicated deal (and not something to be asked at a 90-Day report desk, if you have any sense at all). But her response apparently went something like this: "If you can't even speak Thai, why do you want to be a permanent resident here!" Never mind the ill-prepared innocent customer; she should definitely not be on the front line of customer service! In view of the recent improvements in staff at the Chiang Mai office --- as well as appreciating the attitudes and helpfulness of so many there --- it is unfortunate to see that personnel choice having been made. Perhaps she can be reassigned to sweep up the back office!

But, back to the point: Are there any verified changes to documentation needed for 90-day reports? Please do not report 2009 experience! smile.png

Edited by Mapguy

My recent experience with "curls" was that she very quickly saw papers in order, the fastest stamping, tearing and stapeling I have ever seen, a cute giggle from her and I"m outa there. I think she is good at that post, I got the feeling she understands the pointlessness of the report.

I have heard that some requirements for the 90-day report have been tightened up. Something on the order of having proof of residence (such as a letter from a landlord, lease, rental contract, and so on) Maybe something else. I am not reporting an idle rumor, but I think a very clear accurate report would be hel

But, back to the point: Are there any verified changes to documentation needed for 90-day reports? Please do not report 2009 experience! smile.png

Must have changed since this wednesday then the only change I was told of was only 1 page of the pastport is required now as the barcode system is now in use so where do you get your rumors from

I have heard that some requirements for the 90-day report have been tightened up. Something on the order of having proof of residence (such as a letter from a landlord, lease, rental contract, and so on) Maybe something else. I am not reporting an idle rumor, but I think a very clear accurate report would be hel

Must have changed since this wednesday then the only change I was told of was only 1 page of the pastport is required now as the barcode system is now in use so where do you get your rumors from

What are you reporting then Mapguy, factual information?

If so what is your source?

• Like 1

I am on holiday in Hua Hin when my next 90 day report is due. Is it possible to have it done, on a one off basis, at Hua Hin immigration, or do i have to make the long trek back to Chiang Mai ?

You do have a window of being able to do it up to 14 days before it's due or up to 7 days after, if that helps.

I did my yearly extension in early October and the fellow at desk 6 told me the bar code meant nothing. The only reason it was still put in the book was because some one high up the line had come up with the idea and they couldn't take it out.

Has any one else done there 90 day and had the bar code used.

I agree the curly haired lady seemed very efficient to me. I also agree with her referring the fellow who wanted a PR to a desk with no one at it. If you want a PR learn to speak and understand Thai.

I had renewed my passport in August and they put it in the book.

I did my yearly extension in early October and the fellow at desk 6 told me the bar code meant nothing. The only reason it was still put in the book was because some one high up the line had come up with the idea and they couldn't take it out.

Has any one else done there 90 day and had the bar code used.

I agree the curly haired lady seemed very efficient to me. I also agree with her referring the fellow who wanted a PR to a desk with no one at it. If you want a PR learn to speak and understand Thai.

I had renewed my passport in August and they put it in the book.

Had my barcode almost from the time it started......to my knowledge it has never been used.

To answer Uptheos' question, I got a strong secondhand report that still struck me as something worth checking out, so I still call it a rumor needing confirmation.

The report also included a complaint that there is "now" a 2000 bhat fine for being late, regardless of the number of days. Nothing about the possibility of a 500 bhat fine per day with a cap of 2000 bhat. Check here, in any case:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

The reporter also complained that the new officer at the 90-day desk was snappish and dismissive.

Given the great improvements in efficiency at Chiang Mai Immigration, is there really much to complain about ? There is a 22-day window in which to make the report, which can be made by an agent, family, a friend, or a flunky, if you wish, or by registered post.

For elderly or others who aren't good at keeping track of things, it would be really smart to get an agent or a reliable friend to help.

Edited by Mapguy