Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra To Push For Better Life Of People With Disabilities

webfact

PM to push for better life of people with disabilities

BANGKOK, 15 May 2013 (NNT) -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Tuesday launched a project to promote the quality of life of people with disabilities, with a commitment to provide greater facilities in government buildings to ensure accessibility for the disabled.

Speaking at the opening ceremony of the project at Government House, the Prime Minister said at least five basic facilities for disabled people would be established in all public buildings including ramps, toilets, parking space, signs, and information service. These facilities will be completed within 2015, in time for the realization of ASEAN Economic Community.

The event also offered seminars and an exposition of innovations for the disabled. The Prime Minister also witnessed the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Prime Minister's Office and 21 other government agencies including the Royal Thai Police; all of which will support the construction of the mentioned facilities.

The Prime Minister stated that the construction marked only the start of the government’s bigger aim to reduce gaps in the society. She said that the government wants to open fair opportunities for the disabled in terms of employments while providing them with friendly environment, and improving the disabled’s database. Ms. Yingluck stressed that the government has never considered the disabled a burden but would rather see them as the nation's driving force.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-15 footer_n.gif

That handy and about time. Of course this is all born from Yinglucks personal philosophy of social inclusiveness and the promotion of Thailand as a free, equitable and safe society, not from the mandate of ASEAN.

http://www.asean.org/archive/documents/19th%20summit/Bali_Declaration_on_Disabled_Person.pdf

Talking the talk does not mean walking it! ASEAN is not Thailand!!! Thailand is only a part of ASEAN and if they do not get their standards up on anything they are not in ASEAN - English...lacking behind, Protection..... questionable to investors, stability....questionable.... Long way to go...best meet with those who are ahead in this - Singapore, Malayasia for egs!!!!

• Like 1

Of course, it would be too hard or practical to set up a way that people can call the bloody government offices without having to physically go there at all right?

You are talking abou people with disabiligties?

Computer age....but paper still rules....so forget about Thailand going to digitalise anything for disable people...let alone as a service... There is too much Tea money to loose. Keep the tread mill....it looks healthier for the ignorant mind.

This is a good start but it will take another 100 years to make Thailand's sidewalks (where there are some) useable for the disabled. I figure it will take at least the next 25 years for the police to crackdown (giggle, giggle) on motorcycles that use the sidewalk...another 50 years to get the vendors off the sidewalks...and then another 25 years to build sidewalks where there should be sidewalks. Yeap, about a century should do it.

The law does state that motorbikes can indeed ride on the footpath though ,so a police crackdown on this will not occur

Good idea making the Sidewalks/Pavements safe for those with disabilities. And when they are finished,the same workforce can have continuous employment,making pavements safe for the rest of us!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

Of course, it would be too hard or practical to set up a way that people can call the bloody government offices without having to physically go there at all right?

Why don't they just appoint a disabled services manager in every officewho you can call and then to go out and visit the people, instead of all staying holed up in the air conditioning. Now I see the problem.

This is a good start but it will take another 100 years to make Thailand's sidewalks (where there are some) useable for the disabled. I figure it will take at least the next 25 years for the police to crackdown (giggle, giggle) on motorcycles that use the sidewalk...another 50 years to get the vendors off the sidewalks...and then another 25 years to build sidewalks where there should be sidewalks. Yeap, about a century should do it.

A good policy but I have my doubts about whether anything will happen.

My first wife spent her last few years in a wheelchair and when I'm out walking I try to imagine how I would have coped if I had lived here. It's bad even in Bangkok. Of course disabilities come in many types.

For now well done.

Edited by kimamey

It would be easier if things could be done without a physical presence sometimes. Many disabled people can use the internet.

I see all the cars parked in the handicapped parking zone at Tesco and think there must be tens of thousands of disabled people in this country. Even disabled policemen, as I've seen police park in those spots as well.

• Like 1

That of course is for the disabled who are able enough to get out and about and of course have enough money to be able to afford wheel chairs etc.

All others can stay at home out of sight as they do now.

When they are able to get about, but how far?? paths--shops local.

It is all very well saying facilities at government and other places should be improved, but they have to get there, so the lady must think they all have adapted vehicles.

Maybe she sees shopping malls have and hotels, so government builings should follow------

all didabled should shout BEAM ME UP.

Edited by ginjag

I see all the cars parked in the handicapped parking zone at Tesco and think there must be tens of thousands of disabled people in this country. Even disabled policemen, as I've seen police park in those spots as well.

I saw a car doing that at Home Pro and they'd parked at such an angle that they were taking up two disabled spaces so my view they were taking the piss twice.

I saw a car doing that at Home Pro and they'd parked at such an angle that they were taking up two disabled spaces so my view they were taking the piss twice.

Or, severely mentally disabled.

• Like 2

Anyone born with a disability in Thailand, who survives the early years of family shame, witchdoctors, temple soothsayers, omens to ward off bad karma, social isolation, public ridicule etc etc, deserves the very best of everything Thailand has to offer.

Edited by bangon04
  • Like 2

Let's hope it all goes better than Phuket police's last attempt to improve things for the disabled:

Phuket City Police are moving forward with a plan to have disabled people monitor closed-circuit television (CCTV) security cameras, but the project will be limited to those who can get up the stairs to the fourth-storey CCTV control room on their own.

Yes, that's right - no lift.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2010/article8202.html