Free Trains In Los?

Google produces stuff years out of date and nothing comes up on TV search.

I saw a purple train heading from Chiang Mai to Bkk today. My wife says it is a free train, but doesn't know anything else.

Are farangs allowed to travel for free?

How many a day from Chiang Mai to Bkk?

How long from Chiang Mai to Bkk?

Thanks for any info.

The Government, not really thinking about the future of the SRT, some time ago decided that on certain trains THAI people could travel 3rd class free of charge.

Sorry, no farang for free on trains.

• Like 1

The Government, not really thinking about the future of the SRT, some time ago decided that on certain trains THAI people could travel 3rd class free of charge.

Sorry, no farang for free on trains.

That's a pity as I'm sure there are plenty 3rd class farangs around

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If you are truly destitute, get a Thai person to get you a ticket in third class - free of course.

If you have retirement extension and/or driver's licence, why not? AA

Thanks for that. Pity about Thai only.

However, I doubt I could sit on a wood seat from C M to Bkk, LOL.

I went to C.M by train and back 4 days later, was some time ago, went 1 st class, but took 14 hours to get there

Wood seat for 14 hours would never even think about it, maybe 40 or 50 years ago

These 3rd class seats are very uncomfortable, but for a few hours max, can be ok if yu are just wondering around the country side. It is not free for farlang, but it is so damn cheap, it may as well be free. Some times we wander around on trains, not often, the air-con carriages sometimes stink, these free ones have big open windows. Many Thais actually use it for long distance transport, and bring their own pillow to sit on.

I regularly use the free 10am train from Phrachuap to Thonburi since they have cut back on buses due to them damn minivans its 56 THB for me free for Mrs. yep its slow but ok for that distance anything else would be pushing it

Thanks for that. Pity about Thai only.

However, I doubt I could sit on a wood seat from C M to Bkk, LOL.

Bring a cushion?

Good thought, but it's not just the hardness of the seat, I have a dodgy back, and sitting bolt upright for 14+ hours would do me in for sure. The day train with reclining seats are the worst I can tolerate- sleeper is best.

I regularly use the free 10am train from Phrachuap to Thonburi since they have cut back on buses due to them damn minivans its 56 THB for me free for Mrs. yep its slow but ok for that distance anything else would be pushing it

Try and grab the comfortable seats in the rear car if you can, but they are usually full by Prachuap..