Trendy Condo Sukhumvit

I actually wasn't looking for verification just passing on hearsay.

I dont care what they were before I am just looking forward to moving in on thursday

I have an apartment on level 16.

I am back in Australia now and it is rented but whilst we lived there we had a fantastic time. The location is ideal, pool/gym/spa areas are first class, staff are allways helpfull.

People will say "of course he will say that he is an owner" but I tell you, I have met many other tenants too and ALL are very happy to live there.

My tenant loves it and has signed a 1 year lease.

Welcome to Trendy sgunn, you will love it. :)

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entitre 14 pages of this thread since it started in 2006, MIGHT be a good place to start, is that any good? (I can add in an evil laugh! random number generator number if required ];-) However I unfortunatly sense you have a sense of humour ];-)

Unfortunately I did read it :)

But no mention of what it was "before" the conversion?

RAZZ

The entitre 14 pages of this thread since it started in 2006, MIGHT be a good place to start, is that any good? (I can add in an evil laugh! random number generator number if required ];-) However I unfortunatly sense you have a sense of humour ];-)

RAZZ

The Trendy used to be part of the ambassador hotel complex.

It was the serviced apartment complex opposite the Ambassador plaza which is now the unfinished Regent Hotel development.

There was a fire in the serviced apartments that gutted most of the building.

It was then sold to Grande Asset and they redeveloped the site.

It was stripped down to just the bare concrete super structure and completely re build into what you see today.

Hopes this helps :D

"There was a fire in the serviced apartments that gutted most of the building."

When did that occur? I've walked past the building every day since July, 2004, and I've never seen any evidence of a fire. The building was used as a hotel and serviced apartments until the building was gutted for the condo rebuild in July, 2005.

The reason I think it's a bad condo is purely because I believe it was originally designed as an office block and was left empty for years before it was "converted".

Hence, and I'm guessing here - there might be issues with the design, eg ceiling height, rooms size etc.

You guys are really showing your newbie Bangkok status with your posts. Any old Bangkok-hand knows that the "Trendy" Condo is nothing but a warmed over conversion of the old Bankapi Plaza Hotel., The Bankapi went bust during the previous Thailand boom in the late 90s. It stood vacant and abandoned for a decade till the current developers bought it from the banks and rehab'ed it.

Basically, you're paying condo prices for repainted old hotel rooms, with all the quality (not) that comes with cheap hotel construction practices in Thailand...and you get to live in a place where protitutes are doing short-times in the same building and bumming up the loo with their used condoms :)

doing short-times in the same building

Not done that yet. Must check it out next time I am pissed up in 13. I am guessing they have the best ST rooms in BKK? any reviews :)

Do the ST rooms include free use of the pool,gym and sauna?

Edited by namoo

The reason I think it's a bad condo is purely because I believe it was originally designed as an office block and was left empty for years before it was "converted".

Hence, and I'm guessing here - there might be issues with the design, eg ceiling height, rooms size etc.

You guys are really showing your newbie Bangkok status with your posts. Any old Bangkok-hand knows that the "Trendy" Condo is nothing but a warmed over conversion of the old Bankapi Plaza Hotel., The Bankapi went bust during the previous Thailand boom in the late 90s. It stood vacant and abandoned for a decade till the current developers bought it from the banks and rehab'ed it.

Basically, you're paying condo prices for repainted old hotel rooms, with all the quality (not) that comes with cheap hotel construction practices in Thailand...and you get to live in a place where protitutes are doing short-times in the same building and bumming up the loo with their used condoms :D

John

Why do you feel the need to post such lies?

The Trendy was build from the concrete framework up! The whole project was gutted and only the super structure remained. Apart from the concrete EVERYTHING in the Trendy is new!

I know this for a fact because I bought off the plan in the early stages and watched closely during redevelopment.

All apartments are sold, 95% have been fitted out and very very few are up for re sale.

So please, keep your ill informed comments to yourself, everyone who lives there is very happy.

Is this envy? Why post such tripe? :)

Basically, you're paying condo prices for repainted old hotel rooms, with all the quality (not) that comes with cheap hotel construction practices in Thailand...and you get to live in a place where protitutes are doing short-times in the same building and bumming up the loo with their used condoms :)

Sorry - I'm not as old as you :D

RAZZ

.....very very few are up for re sale.

Actually, there are quite a few rooms for sale at Trendy, you can see them on Craigslist or many other real estate agent websites. They usually advertised it for both rental and selling. However, just like other projects, their owners are setting the price as if they don't know there is a worldwide economic recession. Hence there is little or no transaction.

These Trendy resellers setting their prices comparable to other Grade A condo projects in the area (minumum of 85000 baht/sqm for lower floors). Persnoally, if I were to pay this kind of price, I would rather buy other new properties in the area.

I rented a 1 bed apartment in the awfully named Trendy during December 08 & January 09. The room faced the Asoke direction and was 2 levels above that of the Gym. The rent-price I negotiated was adequate when compared to hotel rates which I could have paid - however, no balcony. The bathroom water heater was not good and would often trip the fuse - had a bit of a nosey moment and had a slight inspection of the bathroom construction and was not impressed by the overall finish of the concreting, fittings or wiring standard. From noises about many rooms seemed to be in a course of "improvement".

Both the gym and swimming pool are adequate - never busy during my time there but the former may need extra machines and weights if it were ever to do so. Note the security staff close the stair doors before the times indicated so be sure to take your lift pass with you if you workout late.

The location is okay - but as others have said the corner near the shrine is used as a toilet. The building work on the Regent(?) continued on at a lacklustre pace as did the work on the units on the groundfloor of the Trendy - one of which was to be a spa. To be honest I would be surprised if these became popular businesses as they seem just out of range of the passing footfall along Sukhumvit - but I could be wrong here. One other factor to be cautious of is the lack of any pavement between Trendy and Suk on what can be a busy road.

Definitely in the bars below there seemed to lack trade and I knew a few of the bargirls from past conversations from a certain other bar from my past and they rarely seemed "busy". And yes I am lead to believe that at least one room in the Trendy is used for ST/LT use by at least one of the bars.

Before I finish this post my overall impression of the Trendy was that it was "empty" of people in all of my time I was there and those communal areas around the reception were ill-designed and tend to reinforce this view.

Overall it is a fine place to use as a crash-pad but I would not like to live there for too long an extended period.

Hope this helps anybody needed an opinion from a casual renter.

I rented a 1 bed apartment in the awfully named Trendy during December 08 & January 09. The room faced the Asoke direction and was 2 levels above that of the Gym. The rent-price I negotiated was adequate when compared to hotel rates which I could have paid - however, no balcony. The bathroom water heater was not good and would often trip the fuse - had a bit of a nosey moment and had a slight inspection of the bathroom construction and was not impressed by the overall finish of the concreting, fittings or wiring standard. From noises about many rooms seemed to be in a course of "improvement".

Both the gym and swimming pool are adequate - never busy during my time there but the former may need extra machines and weights if it were ever to do so. Note the security staff close the stair doors before the times indicated so be sure to take your lift pass with you if you workout late.

The location is okay - but as others have said the corner near the shrine is used as a toilet. The building work on the Regent(?) continued on at a lacklustre pace as did the work on the units on the groundfloor of the Trendy - one of which was to be a spa. To be honest I would be surprised if these became popular businesses as they seem just out of range of the passing footfall along Sukhumvit - but I could be wrong here. One other factor to be cautious of is the lack of any pavement between Trendy and Suk on what can be a busy road.

Definitely in the bars below there seemed to lack trade and I knew a few of the bargirls from past conversations from a certain other bar from my past and they rarely seemed "busy". And yes I am lead to believe that at least one room in the Trendy is used for ST/LT use by at least one of the bars.

Before I finish this post my overall impression of the Trendy was that it was "empty" of people in all of my time I was there and those communal areas around the reception were ill-designed and tend to reinforce this view.

Overall it is a fine place to use as a crash-pad but I would not like to live there for too long an extended period.

Ohhh bad location in the Trendy. Was it a studio flat? how much did you pay? Remember, the water heater was installed by the owner, NOT the builder.

I have a 1 bedroom with a huge balcony on level 16 with un interupted views over the city on the Nana side.

I have a long term tenant paying 35k/mth so my returns are in line with my investment.

The place is filling up fast now, I was there only 3 weeks ago and I was supprised at how many tenants have moved in.

There are over 400 apartments in Trendy, if you look around the internet you will see only about 10 for re sale.

That's only about 3%!

I for one am happy. Remember all realestate purchases are a long term investment.

Ohhh bad location in the Trendy. Was it a studio flat? how much did you pay? Remember, the water heater was installed by the owner, NOT the builder.

I have a 1 bedroom with a huge balcony on level 16 with un interupted views over the city on the Nana side.

I have a long term tenant paying 35k/mth so my returns are in line with my investment.

The place is filling up fast now, I was there only 3 weeks ago and I was supprised at how many tenants have moved in.

There are over 400 apartments in Trendy, if you look around the internet you will see only about 10 for re sale.

That's only about 3%!

I for one am happy. Remember all realestate purchases are a long term investment.

If you're happy good luck to you :)

Only time will tell who's right and who's wrong.

RAZZ

Trendy has its niche market of tenants due to its location in Suk 13. Probably young single male expats from late 20s to mid 30s on term employment contracts.

Expats with families or frequent visiting relatives will probably select quieter locations along Asoke to Onnut area.

The main point to consider is the cost of depreciation of interior and furnishing due to the lifestyle of the tenants, and the amount of care in keeping the space clean, as this will eat up part of the rental income.

Are you trying to gently hint that an owner with tenants (single males in their mid 20s to 30s) would likely face having to clean various bodily fluids off the ceiling and walls??? :) What's the depreciation rate for that, anyway??? :D

RAZZ

Open question - Why do you ask? I have not detected a problem from what I have seen. Is there not the concept of 'Before and After'?

Are you trying to gently hint that an owner with tenants (single males in their mid 20s to 30s) would likely face having to clean various bodily fluids off the ceiling and walls??? :) What's the depreciation rate for that, anyway??? :D

Fortunately, I have not had a tenant who did not employ a part time cleaning lady.

But I can imagine what the condo unit will become when the bathroom has not been washed for weeks, the floor not swept or mopped in a month, the pantry filled with dirty dishes and leftover food for a week with smell permeating the air-con unit, the bedding not wash for many months, etc...

Well I moved into my one bed on the top floor on thursday so these are my first impressions.

I have 72sq mt and a balcony with a great view over to nana bts, very pretty at night. The unit is immaculate and very tastfully furnished. The kitchen is a bit small but since I will be there 8-10 nights amonth max this is not a problem.

On the top floor you cannot hear anything so noise is not an issue. I applied for wrieless was told 5-7 days and it was put in yesterday.

I have not seen too many people around but I spoke to one person and he was very friendly.

On thursday I went and checked out the bar downstairs which was busy with pool, several girls who were not in my face and nice staff. If its a knocking shop they seem laid back about it. I doubt it will become a regular haunt but its handy. As is the short cut to Soi 11.

Went to villa market and without my asking they offered to deliver and took all my bags back for me immediately. That is good service.

The location is perfect for me being so close to the bts.

Overall I am very happy. Last night for the first time I didn't bother going out. Back at work now and can't wait to go back there. I just wish they would change the name!!

Well I moved into my one bed on the top floor on thursday so these are my first impressions.

I have 72sq mt and a balcony with a great view over to nana bts, very pretty at night. The unit is immaculate and very tastfully furnished. The kitchen is a bit small but since I will be there 8-10 nights amonth max this is not a problem.

On the top floor you cannot hear anything so noise is not an issue. I applied for wrieless was told 5-7 days and it was put in yesterday.

I have not seen too many people around but I spoke to one person and he was very friendly.

On thursday I went and checked out the bar downstairs which was busy with pool, several girls who were not in my face and nice staff. If its a knocking shop they seem laid back about it. I doubt it will become a regular haunt but its handy. As is the short cut to Soi 11.

Went to villa market and without my asking they offered to deliver and took all my bags back for me immediately. That is good service.

The location is perfect for me being so close to the bts.

Overall I am very happy. Last night for the first time I didn't bother going out. Back at work now and can't wait to go back there. I just wish they would change the name!!

Welcome to Trendy :)

Yes that is my only complaint too but from my understanding the name Trendy for Thai's is very "Trendy" :D

We should catch up for a chat some time.

I pay 30K for mine. Now before I get the "you could have a mansion for that round my way" posts I work on the willing buyer willing seller priciple. I think I am getting good value for money in the type of apartment i want and in the location I think is good so, therefore, I think it good value for money and I am happy to pay it.

Hi Livinginexile. It would be good to meet a neighbour. PM me and we can hook up next time I am in town

Edited by sgunn65

You forgot to mention your view includes an abandoned construction site named Regent, a 30 story eye sore.

You forgot to mention your view includes an abandoned construction site named Regent, a 30 story eye sore.

No mate, thats way down the other side.

This is my view :)

post-32112-1243844008_thumb.jpg

This is my view :D

Hi 'Livinginexile' - is that 'The Park' on the right hand side of the picture? Sorry it was a bit low res. Great view and guess what it will be ever changing for the better! I must confess I had not seen this CBD city shot perspective before.

I can however see the Athenee as I know corkscrew can see you guys and took a picture - Small world isn't it :)

Edited by pkrv

Hi 'Livinginexile' - is that 'The Park' on the right hand side of the picture? Sorry it was a bit low res. Great view and guess what it will be ever changing for the better! I must confess I had not seen this CBD city shot perspective before.

I can however see the Athenee as I know corkscrew can see you guys and took a picture - Small world isn't it :)

Hi pkrv, yes that is the Park, next to the Amari.

I often look up to see where corkscre lives, yes it's a small world indeed :D

• 1 month later...

Great view indeed, I'm thinking of buying on the 16th floor, what floor are you on ?

Great view indeed, I'm thinking of buying on the 16th floor, what floor are you on ?

I'm on level 16 facing Nana.

We had quite a bit of rain yesterday! Are you in BKK now?

post-9122-1248668622_thumb.jpg

We had quite a bit of rain yesterday! Are you in BKK now?

Not yet, 21st Aug for a few weeks - GOD I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO IT - nothing to do, but what I want to do. Hiitting Sirocco on my big 50!

PKRK - :)

Edited by pkrv

• 2 months later...

I've been renting here three months now and love the building. This after seeing them stall on construction for years!

I think I want to buy a condo here, a one or two bedroom unit on a high floor with a good view. Anybody have a good recommendation about how much I should be paying? The one I have now I'm paying 33,500 a month (bargained down from 40,000) - somewhat expensive, mostly due to great furnishings - and the owner said she might be willing to sell it in the 5,000,000 range. I have no idea if this is good or not. The multiple seems pretty good though, if I can buy for 5mm and rent for 30-40,000 I'd be pretty happy. If I can find a renter that is, I see most of this building is empty right now.

So thoughts on good prices?

Thanks!