Trendy Condo Sukhumvit

No offence, but that is not the CBD upmarket area. Bangkok actually has no real CBD. Bangkok does have an emerging CSD (Central Shopping District). And yes, the Trendy is well placed for that. But so are lots of other projects already, with a lot more in the pipeline. That particular stretch is still sleazy, and it will take a lot to clean it up.

ah Mr newbie, ummm "no offence but" in the property game you must possess the ability to see over the horizon and think outside the square.. you are far better off buying in a sleazy area that you think may have potential than to buy in an already upmarket established area. Would like to see a revised comment in say around 3 years

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence, but that is not the CBD upmarket area. Bangkok actually has no real CBD. Bangkok does have an emerging CSD (Central Shopping District). And yes, the Trendy is well placed for that. But so are lots of other projects already, with a lot more in the pipeline. That particular stretch is still sleazy, and it will take a lot to clean it up.

ah Mr newbie, ummm "no offence but" in the property game you must possess the ability to see over the horizon and think outside the square.. you are far better off buying in a sleazy area that you think may have potential than to buy in an already upmarket established area. Would like to see a revised comment in say around 3 years

I tend to agree the Upmarket/CBD is rippling out from Central Chidlom. As more resources and money pour in the last scraps of available land will dry up and inevitably outward expansion will take place. Currently IMO ‘The Trendy’ is on the edges but will not be for much longer. I actually find it exciting to be a part of this process. I think the new airport express station will virtually be on ‘The Trendy’s’ door step (figuratively speaking of course), which will also have its own positive impact.

Thanks for this info on mail boxes.

That is an interesting point I had not considered how mail was delived/stored/forwarded - Thanks for the heads up.

Also I note that airconditioning is necessary in the bin/garbage/refuse area, otherwise yuck!

Facilities.....

I just got another call "unit ready for inspection now" ...This will be my 4th inspection. Studio unit on 8th floor.

Did anyone who has closed, or is near to closing deal with the compensation issue yet?

By my contract, the unit is 19 months late. Even after the 4 month grace period, this means I am entitled to 15 months interest (on my deposit not the purchase price?) at the going rate of a fixed deposit account at Bangkok Bank.

Also, has anyone gotten IN WRITING the "one year warranty" on defects in construction?

I just got another call "unit ready for inspection now" ...This will be my 4th inspection. Studio unit on 8th floor.

Did anyone who has closed, or is near to closing deal with the compensation issue yet?

By my contract, the unit is 19 months late. Even after the 4 month grace period, this means I am entitled to 15 months interest (on my deposit not the purchase price?) at the going rate of a fixed deposit account at Bangkok Bank.

Also, has anyone gotten IN WRITING the "one year warranty" on defects in construction?

They told me ready for inspection Mid November but I will go Mid December to be on the safe side. I sure hope they are not lying this time.

I also am very interested to know the final compensation deal, I bet we get sweet F all.

You are not alone on this. Grande Asset sent me a letter informing me that my unit would be ready for inspection in September. When I arrived at my unit for the inspection, construction was not even finished yet. I can't figure out why they would inform clients to inspect their units when construction is not even complete. It boggles the mind.

When I asked about the compensation for the delay, the customer rep told me to write a letter to the company to address this issue. By right, the sales contract is legally binding so I don't know how they can wiggle out of not compensating for the delay. If I were you, I would insist on getting a credit to offset the balance of the purchase price upon title transfer.

I have heard about the one year warranty. However, I have yet to see it in writing.

Good luck with your inspection and closing. Let me know how it goes.

FYI: from the map link below, one can see the Cnetral Business District (CBD) area in BKK.

http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/MassTrans...0Map%206.11.pdf

Yet more Newbie's with phenomenal understanding (and that is true) but do not, in my opinion, contribute in any way shape or form.

right, whereas you are an "expert" who gets emotional about drywall and concrete. how is yout equity doing given the oversupply? emotions are best left for family and friends, not financial decisions. inflation is not wealth pkrv, something you will soon learn.

the trendy will soon be called the "overspendy"

Edited by bingobongo

Yet more Newbie's with phenomenal understanding (and that is true) but do not, in my opinion, contribute in any way shape or form.

right, whereas you are an "expert" who gets emotional about drywall and concrete. how is yout equity doing given the oversupply? emotions are best left for family and friends, not financial decisions. inflation is not wealth pkrv, something you will soon learn.

the trendy will soon be called the "overspendy"

hi bingobongo - we have had our run-ins, we are simply different individals and both our view points count :D . What I took exception to is on virtually the first post a massive attack on The Trendy for no apparent reason. Everyone knows it is not the best thing since sliced bread but those who are buying in are openly saying so and co-operating with each other to address the situation. I find the ballanced replies are the ones I agree with most. In a sense I am your opposite :o

• 2 months later...
did you get hi-speed internet and cable TV in Trendy yet?

forget true for Internet. TOT have exclusive rights with trendy and the deal if you sign for 24 mths you get a free wi-fi modem and 2mb at 1000bht per month and if you need voip (skype) like me you may have to upgrade to their business package and that's only 1mb but far less traffic so a much higher download but I will wait and see how 2mb handles it first. I will be on line in 36 hours and fantastic service even though the staff could barely speak English. Don't know about cable

Hi, I put up holiday over-flow guests in a studio I got cheap at Trendy and they seemed to enjoy it a lot! the building's not luxurious (by any stretch) but the studio is furnished nicely with a 42" flat screen, home theater system, wi-fi internet, kitchenette etc. and its centrally located in the funky zone and very convenient if you've bar-hopped and clubbed too hard or late in lower Sukhumvit (I also use it occassionally when Im in that part of town )....everything is fine except no word on when UBC/True cable TV will be available...

do you have any latest news on cable TV? thanks!

What I took exception to is on virtually the first post a massive attack on The Trendy for no apparent reason.

Not really. I think the first was... me.

:D

A few month ago, I spent a night at Dream Hotel, and had a bit of time to look at this architectural... monstrosity.

I remember I used in my message the word "soviet" or "stalinist" something like that. :o

To this date, I didn't change of opinion : the Trendy is absolutly awfull (from an esthetic point of view, and from outside).

um I agree that the Trendy will never win any beauty contests (and quite honestly I wouldnt want it to be my main nest), but its hardly "soviet union" stuff.......btw the Dream hotel exterior is also not any more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion....actually the thing I like about it is the blue upights under the bed :o

nudge, nudge

I think you guys are over-stepping this thread. Leave your personal issues amongst each other out from this post.

Why don't you guys just meet up and give each other a good hammering, i.e. Mike Tyson style.

More importantly, how many of you guys have actually moved in???

Just been back from BKK. Went over to see the Trendy. The shops are being occupied quite quickly.

Overall, the building is coming together. Nevertheless, my units are still not ready!

No sound or letter from Trendy staff.......They are all very quiet and not even chasing me.

How bizarre?

:o

nudge, nudge

I think you guys are over-stepping this thread. Leave your personal issues amongst each other out from this post.

Why don't you guys just meet up and give each other a good hammering, i.e. Mike Tyson style.

More importantly, how many of you guys have actually moved in???

Just been back from BKK. Went over to see the Trendy. The shops are being occupied quite quickly.

Overall, the building is coming together. Nevertheless, my units are still not ready!

No sound or letter from Trendy staff.......They are all very quiet and not even chasing me.

How bizarre?

All Trendy apartments are now mortgaged to Bkk Bank. I went to transfer my unit in mid December but was told by Trendy staff that I can not untill G/E pay their December installments to the bank.

I was told after 16th Jan I can transfer.

I've put it all in my lawyers hands now, I'm tierd of trying to deal with them.

Hopefull they will use some of the new funding to pay the outstanding installments.

Good luck

All Trendy apartments are now mortgaged to Bkk Bank. I went to transfer my unit in mid December but was told by Trendy staff that I can not untill G/E pay their December installments to the bank.

Hopefull they will use some of the new funding to pay the outstanding installments.

Good luck

Livinginexile, I think they told you a false line....Bangkok Bank already holds the mortgage.....back in Sept, when I got the keys to my little Trendy studio, the check I made out was payable to Bangkok Bank, with my rep, the bank's rep and Grand's rep all meeting at the Land Office to transfer the condo title deed (and release the Bangkok Bank mortgage with respect to my unit).....

I very happy with my unit (with the exception of no cable TV availability yet, which my holiday guests who used the unit didnt get to enjoy)...

anyway, good luck on your eventual transfer!

Edited by Raptor7

Good luck

Hi Exile,

Yep, just as I thought. I even tried to arrange to meet the Sales Manager of Trendy to discuss handover at the end of last month. However, no one wanted to meet me then. Now I know why.

They don't seem to be in a rush to transfer the units and are rather just dragging their feet slowly.

It now makes sense as financially something fishy has been goin on.

Besides, all construction at the Regent has now stopped. No movement down there at all.

Let's wait and see I guess.

GA has offered 5% compensation (First offer was 2.375%) on the deposit amount backdated to September 1st 2006 up to date of inspection.

The unit is still incomplete with 26 defects and so we have rejected the offer as being unnacceptable.

Has anyone had any more success with money ?

Thanks

GA has offered 5% compensation (First offer was 2.375%) on the deposit amount backdated to September 1st 2006 up to date of inspection.

The unit is still incomplete with 26 defects and so we have rejected the offer as being unnacceptable.

Thanks

Is this compensation for the construction delay ? According to the contract, construction delay is based on the fixed deposit rate of Bangkok Bank. Otherwise, if you terminate the contract, the developer is supposed to pay a penalty of 8% per annum.

Thanks

Hi London

Can you tell me who at G/A authorised this compansation package?

Who did you negotiate with?

Thanx in advance

• 4 weeks later...
I think a fair rate would be 16-18k per month fully furnished with UBC. They are a little smaller than the corresponding units down the road and probably crappier view, but are new and a few minutes closer to the skytrain.

14-15K, more likely.

Brand new 35sqm studios, BTS, walking distance to BKK Uni go that kind of money, furnished with "SB" furniture.

Wrong again think to much

Try doubling your estimate...Here's two examples of current rent at Trendy.

THB23000 New Trendy Condo for rent,Sukhumvit 13 Studio 37 Sqm

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/apa/530972287.html

THB49000 / 1br - The Trendy Condominium for Rent 1 bed 64 Sqm

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/apa/577733651.html

I think a fair rate would be 16-18k per month fully furnished with UBC. They are a little smaller than the corresponding units down the road and probably crappier view, but are new and a few minutes closer to the skytrain.

14-15K, more likely.

Brand new 35sqm studios, BTS, walking distance to BKK Uni go that kind of money, furnished with "SB" furniture.

Wrong again think to much

Try doubling your estimate...Here's two examples of current rent at Trendy.

THB23000 New Trendy Condo for rent,Sukhumvit 13 Studio 37 Sqm

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/apa/530972287.html

THB49000 / 1br - The Trendy Condominium for Rent 1 bed 64 Sqm

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/apa/577733651.html

Those are really, really inflated prices. Two minutes walk down soi 13 to Sukhumvit Suites and you can get a 60sqm fully furnished apartment on the 39 floor with a fantastic view for 23k. Granted they don't last long - three came and went in January. 35k gets you 72 Sqm with a balcony. 21million you can buy the penthouse on the 44th floor (been up for sale a few months now - I guess people who want penthouses only want them in brand new buildings).

Even if brand new and two minutes further walking really commands a 70% price hike, be prepared for the drop when it isn't brand new any more.