Used Phones - Mbk?

Malthus101

Hello

So my old iphone 3gs is slowly falling apart and I might buy a 4s but no way am I paying new prices.

I hear MBK 4/F has a large second hand mobile phone section.

Are these good phones? Guaranteed? A mixed bag.....?

Thanks...

Are these good phones? Guaranteed? A mixed bag.....?

To be honest, as soon as you say you're looking for second hand phones then your above questions are kind of redundant.

Best to go and have a look, there are plenty in MBK.

Spend a lot of time testing, don't rely on guarantees for anything second hand.

There is a shop at MBK that sells new phones at wholesale price. Always long queues there of people buying in bulk, presumably to sell at their own phone stalls or shops. As an example, they sell the SG3 for 14k, or 12k if you buy without a warrantee. Don't know exactly where their stock comes from, but judging from the number of people constantly buying, and judging from the fact that they are cheap but not that cheap, i assume they are legit phones and not Chinese rip offs.

There is a shop at MBK that sells new phones at wholesale price. Always long queues there of people buying in bulk, presumably to sell at their own phone stalls or shops. As an example, they sell the SG3 for 14k, or 12k if you buy without a warrantee. Don't know exactly where their stock comes from, but judging from the number of people constantly buying, and judging from the fact that they are cheap but not that cheap, i assume they are legit phones and not Chinese rip offs.

If you buy a Samsung in Thailand you do not need to have a warranty card to have it repaired in Thailand under the guarantee. I have even bought a second hand Samsung with no documentation and had it repaired free. The phone obviously has to be within the warranty period, but Samsung can tell you that from the serial nos.

One problem you may find when buying from these popular discounters in MBK is that the phone box has been resealed with plastic but the paper seal on the box has been carefully cut. Something has been removed from the box, maybe genuine Samsung earphones, or the guarantee card? Not sure, but for the saving in price may still be a good buy.

You could check the list o' craig/Thailand, and TV classifieds, if only to get a feel for pricing.

Maybe ask a Thai friend to look through some Thai websites? There are also magazines, check any large news stand, which publish used phone prices (both wholesale and retail).

There are also consignment shops which sell used phones for individuals at a slight mark-up - ask a Thai friend for help here and broaden your search to the suburban malls where prices will be a bit lower.

I think there are fewer used 4S'es than you'd expect, and the spread (ask/sell; wholesale/retail) appears significant.

A new 4S/16 GB is 19,500 so wholesale/used might be 8,000 - 9,500, while retail/used might be 12,000 - 14,500.

It would be ideal to find someone who wants to trade up to a 5, and offer them a slight premium over wholesale or what they would get in a trade.

If you buy at MBK... Don't go for the cheapest one from some cute lady... Buy from one of the bigger counters where the guys are fixing phones and such... They are more likely to be there the next week if you have a problem

Very good advice