Best Place To Meet Single Woman?

Gone

PS: Most Thai girls hate a guy that can speak Thai because then they cannot gossip about you to their friends. I have had a lot of fun just listening to conversations for an hour or so and then to their embarrassment, replied using Thai slang/conversation and sometimes they were so embarrassed that they just all got up and left. That was when they were talking crap about foreigners and I don't mean just woman.

Funny, I'v never met a "nice girl" that did mind that I was able to speak and read/write Thai (far from fluent ;). I always

enjoy exchanging SMS in Thai with the girls -great practice ...

Perhaps I just misunderstand your definition of a "nice girl" ....

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW so now my OP has turned into a language bashing battle. lol. Anyways many are right, I should not have used the word "fluent" because I am not. I would say maybe 90% but also speak "decent" Lao (also knows as Essarn) because I had 22 Thai employees who were all from Essarn. It is actually easier to speak and/or understand.

When I first came to Thailand I met my ex-wife within 6 months and married not long after that. Were we lived at that time there were no Foreigners let alone English speaking Thai's. I bought a Motorbike and a truck and seeing that the wife worked 6 days per week I had no choice but to learn Thai. Carrying around my Lonely Planet Thai Language pocket book and just smiling and trying to say what I wanted to say and pointing to it to the Thai (it also had the Thai writing) they would say it in Thai and I would keep saying it over and over.

That was actually the finest time I have had here. I am from Canada (bi-lingual) and could speak French when I was in school and also became quite good in Spanish when I used to live in South America so maybe languages come easier for me.

My friend who came to Thailand the same time I did actually became "fluent" within 1 1/2 years and I mean he could read, write and speak Thai better then some Thais. He even discovered a mistake on the Beer Chang bottles and he was correct.

I am an Engineer and have worked with many Thai Engineers here so that also helped when venturing out into different subjects other then just conversation. I have had several dealings with the police (good and bad) so that helps in that area and having my old dad stay with me here from 80 to 84 with his health and mine also I picked up on that area too.

I guess what I am saying is yes for sure it is NOT easy to speak Thai but when you are forced to you can do it. I tried schools because I wanted (and still do) to read and write Thai but found schools boring.

PS: Most Thai girls hate a guy that can speak Thai because then they cannot gossip about you to their friends. I have had a lot of fun just listening to conversations for an hour or so and then to their embarrassment, replied using Thai slang/conversation and sometimes they were so embarrassed that they just all got up and left. That was when they were talking crap about foreigners and I don't mean just woman.

It sounds like you speak thai well enough to carry on a reasonable conversation in a variety of contexts which is really about as much as most people can reasonably expect.

I think some posters here are confusing fluency with native speaker like speaking levels. Fluency only means speaking or reading easily and well. I know quite a few farangs who speak thai pretty well. And as I say I can speak rudimentary thai without having ever studied it and I am sure with a few years formal study I would be reasonably proficient.

It sounds like you speak thai well enough to carry on a reasonable

conversation in a variety of contexts which is really about as much as

most people can reasonably expect.

The above applies to me, my problem is I now want more, having studied to P6 level, there is nothing after that readily available, its just a matter of hitting the streets.

I think some posters here are confusing fluency with native speaker like speaking levels

You are probably correct, I may well be too critical of my ability and under estimate how far I have actually come, however native speaker level remains the goal, even if its never achieved.

Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink. Much like finding a good-girl in Pattaya. They are there, but definitely in the minority. Even those have been known to display negotiable virtue should the need arise. I wish the OP the best of luck, but he may need to change his fishing grounds.

• Like 2

The whole world is a "place" to meet single women. There isn't anywhere in particular that single people go to meet other single people. It just happens. Try walking up and talking to someone who you find attractive. It does not matter the location.

• Like 1

WOW so now my OP has turned into a language bashing battle. lol. Anyways many are right, I should not have used the word "fluent" because I am not. I would say maybe 90% but also speak "decent" Lao (also knows as Essarn) because I had 22 Thai employees who were all from Essarn. It is actually easier to speak and/or understand.

When I first came to Thailand I met my ex-wife within 6 months and married not long after that. Were we lived at that time there were no Foreigners let alone English speaking Thai's. I bought a Motorbike and a truck and seeing that the wife worked 6 days per week I had no choice but to learn Thai. Carrying around my Lonely Planet Thai Language pocket book and just smiling and trying to say what I wanted to say and pointing to it to the Thai (it also had the Thai writing) they would say it in Thai and I would keep saying it over and over.

That was actually the finest time I have had here. I am from Canada (bi-lingual) and could speak French when I was in school and also became quite good in Spanish when I used to live in South America so maybe languages come easier for me.

My friend who came to Thailand the same time I did actually became "fluent" within 1 1/2 years and I mean he could read, write and speak Thai better then some Thais. He even discovered a mistake on the Beer Chang bottles and he was correct.

I am an Engineer and have worked with many Thai Engineers here so that also helped when venturing out into different subjects other then just conversation. I have had several dealings with the police (good and bad) so that helps in that area and having my old dad stay with me here from 80 to 84 with his health and mine also I picked up on that area too.

I guess what I am saying is yes for sure it is NOT easy to speak Thai but when you are forced to you can do it. I tried schools because I wanted (and still do) to read and write Thai but found schools boring.

It sounds like you speak thai well enough to carry on a reasonable conversation in a variety of contexts which is really about as much as most people can reasonably expect.

I think some posters here are confusing fluency with native speaker like speaking levels. Fluency only means speaking or reading easily and well. I know quite a few farangs who speak thai pretty well. And as I say I can speak rudimentary thai without having ever studied it and I am sure with a few years formal study I would be reasonably proficient.

It sounds like you speak thai well enough to carry on a reasonable

conversation in a variety of contexts which is really about as much as

most people can reasonably expect.

The above applies to me, my problem is I now want more, having studied to P6 level, there is nothing after that readily available, its just a matter of hitting the streets.

I think some posters here are confusing fluency with native speaker like speaking levels

You are probably correct, I may well be too critical of my ability and under estimate how far I have actually come, however native speaker level remains the goal, even if its never achieved.

I work with lots of people who are not native English speakers but who are highly educated at western unis and have been speaking English for most of their lives but even they struggle with all the idioms, slang and culturally specific language stuff. Yet they would have a better formal English than many native born people and a larger vocabulary as well and much better grammar too.

I suppose you need to decide what you want. If you want more vocab, better grammar etc then you need to try and do some higher education in Thailand like uni level.

If you want to speak the informal language of the street then you need to spend a lot of time with Thais in different settings. You probably need to watch a fair bit of tv too as you could pick up a lot of street thai there.

Most westerners probably wont have enough interaction in Thai society to ever reach or get close to native speaker level because most want to speak thai but don't want to become thai and of course thais will never really accept you anyway so most people wouldn't see that extra effort as really being worthwhile.

Edited by Tolley

^ I thought this thread was about the OP getting some nice girls over on the Darkside?

I don't think that there are any places immediately east of Sukhumvit where the Thai's mingle. There's a few 'afternoon delight' places for the farang seeking something less in-your-face than Soi 6 or less crowded with tattooed chavs and muaythai wannabe's like Rioja and Kinnaree. However, if you go another 5-10 km inland, there are the huge dormitory towns where all the 'nice girl' factory workers live... the same ones that come to Jomtien beach on weekends and bugger up the Beach Road traffic getting in and out of Central. No, they are not Bangkokians slumming it from Bang Saen! There's lots of clubs and restaurants over that way so maybe the OP needs to get a set of wheels and try a few places in the far Darkside.

The whole world is a "place" to meet single women. There isn't anywhere in particular that single people go to meet other single people. It just happens. Try walking up and talking to someone who you find attractive. It does not matter the location.

Not sure where you are from or if you have traveled but have you never heard of a "Singles Bar"?

As other posters have said, there are many in Bangkok but I live in Pattaya.

I remember a bar in Bkk but cannot remember exactly where or the name but it was just packed with girls (mostly from Esarn) looking for single guys. At that time I was married but was quite an interesting place for sure.

Lots of working class woman here in Pattaya that would love to find a farang bf but they just don't know where to go on their days off because there really is no place here. That is one thing I was talking about.

I know many people when threads get to be 3, 4 or 5 pages long do not read every post and just kinda jump in with a reply that has already been discussed but........

I found a great little place last night just behind Big-C Sukhumvit beside the Ninja Thai BBQ that was pretty cool. Had a live Thai band and some nice Thai people there and as I was leaving a few other farangs showed up. Actually a very nice place to be honest. I did not look at the food menue because just finished eating BBQ but my date said it looked good and not expensive.

apart from Internet sites i always got on ok with date sites, also Bamboo bar and few other disco's around walking street Friday/Saturday nights when ladies from BKK come down for a night out. Pattaya has to be a tough place though, i lived there 3 years and just moved to Udon, its way easier.

• Like 1

Is there a protocol for choosing a chic on an internet date site?

I mean do you choose the cutest ones or tone it down a tad and try for the ones everyone else leaves behind.

I ask because I am rather superficial and shallow myself.

Cant see this thread going anywhere now and my OP seems to have been answered. Nothing but poor remarks left now like: "A funeral" etc. Maybe the mods can close it?

Cant see this thread going anywhere now and my OP seems to have been answered. Nothing but poor remarks left now like: "A funeral" etc. Maybe the mods can close it?

when are you going to ask for a mods job?

you have auditioned enough already

• Like 1

All the mods I know are great people but what do you mean I have auditioned enough? I don't have time to be a mod. They work hard.

• Like 1

I think I've identified where you may be going wrong in your search for a partner http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/most_desirable_traits/Top_5_Personality_Traits.php

Quote from the link:-

Top 5 Personality Traits (women want in men)
1. Sense of Humor 77%

Being able to laugh...

• Like 2

Is there a protocol for choosing a chic on an internet date site?

I mean do you choose the cutest ones or tone it down a tad and try for the ones everyone else leaves behind.

I ask because I am rather superficial and shallow myself.

I find they tend to choose me, there all the same, they are all different. so no protocol just go with the flow. personally i prefer no kids and a decent education, tend to have found majority from BKK looking for a bit of fun away from prying eyes in BKK. Example since i re-opened a new account ue to change of area had 88 interests shown in local area in 3 weeks. In 3 years never found what OP is looking for in places to go.

If you take the baht bus early in the morning, like 6 AM , it will be filled up with well dressed good looking girls on their way to work. They will smile at you. You should also dress accordingly and smile back.

And then you can use the few Thai words you know and ask for a date.

All the mods I know are great people but what do you mean I have auditioned enough? I don't have time to be a mod. They work hard.

For free too.

apart from Internet sites i always got on ok with date sites, also Bamboo bar and few other disco's around walking street Friday/Saturday nights when ladies from BKK come down for a night out. Pattaya has to be a tough place though, i lived there 3 years and just moved to Udon, its way easier.

but you still come back onto the Pattaya board....LOL....

Getting off topic here guys.

I like balo suggestion HERE surely that is worthy of more discussion

If you take the baht bus early in the morning, like 6 AM , it will be filled up with well dressed good looking girls on their way to work. They will smile at you. You should also dress accordingly and smile back.

I have taken the baht bus for years at 6 AM, never noticed any well dressed good looking girls.

Maybe it was because I was too pissed on my way home from JP bar.

• Like 1

I have taken the baht bus for years at 6 AM, never noticed any well dressed good looking girls.

You never noticed the ladies with their sexy go-go clothes on and straggly hair on their way home from their night of passion with the paying customer? They often go home about 6 a.m. - I believe ;)

You never noticed the ladies with their sexy go-go clothes on and straggly hair on their way home from their night of passion with the paying customer? They often go home about 6 a.m. - I believe wink.png

Of course I noticed them, they were sitting in the baht bus going the other direction, and they were not on their way to work but rather opposite.

• Like 2

You never noticed the ladies with their sexy go-go clothes on and straggly hair on their way home from their night of passion with the paying customer? They often go home about 6 a.m. - I believe wink.png

3-5 am

they are none too interested in farang at that point i feel