A Sad Time

masuk

I don't agree. I watch Thais on their bikes whilst I pillion with my wife and the majority are perceptive and ride well.

thats why i said 'some'...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about the quality of life, and I have to agree, it's possible to have a lot of good, clean, healthy fun here.

I intend to make it last!

helmets are one safety factor during and after an accident.

A nice beginning step would be for drivers in Thailand to not drive on the wrong side of the road thru blind corners.

This seems so common sense especially with lots of accident investigation markings on these blind corners.

I encounter drivers who are on the wrong side of the road and no apparent reason for being there other than just bad training or laziness.

That would seem like a great first step but I wouldn't predict much progress.

It's a head scratcher why a society can not agree to do something about this.

• Like 2

I like the fact that it's my choice whether I wear a helmet.

If I wanted to live in a country where I'm told what to do, when to do it, how to do it and where if I don't look where I'm going and hit my head, someone else is responsible and should be sued, I could. I have chosen to live in a country where in general I choose what I do and when I do it, and I take responsibility for my choices.

Anyone getting upset about the disregard for safety laws here has surely chosen to live in the wrong country. England, where you're not allowed to water your garden without permission and if you are a day late putting out your bin, you are a criminal, would be a better choice.

No thanks. I'll take the rough with the smooth here.

Also without life/health/bike insurance I guess ? laugh.png

I'm impressed. coffee1.gif

I'm impressed you know so much about me. However, FYI my employment provides health insurance and I don't own a motorbike. biggrin.png

I completely agree with your right to not wear a helmet, especially if you don't own or ride a motorcycle. Every time I see someone driving their car or walking around with a motorcycle helmet on, it seems strange and sad to me.

Just kidding, of course. I have the same feelings about nanny states -- things have gotten to the point of silly. I think it's gone way beyond the boundaries of protecting ourselves from ourselves. Unfortunately, the stupidity of some people do seem to warrant a degree of "Darwin" laws, though.

• Like 2

There are few circumstances nowadays in which Darwinian forces can push to make the human species more intelligent. Giving people a choice -- whether formally by having no helmet laws, or informally by not enforcing them strongly -- about wearing helmets on motorcycles is a rare and useful such circumstance. The not so bright ones who don't wear helmets will die in greater numbers, often before producing offspring. The brighter ones who do will survive in greater numbers and produce more offspring. The human species over time will become more intelligent.

Valid observation.

I too am quite amazed at the number of young people who don't wear helmets.

I guess it is a combination of heat, vanity, hairstyle, "cool" and equating wearing a helmet to dodging a fine rather than protecting their melon.

I value my head and it's contents. So, I'd prefer to try and keep them in there.

People rejoicing at "my head, my choice" clearly have no reason to protect what's in their head in the first place. Ride naked you collective genius's.

• Like 1

I`ve lived in Thailand for 30 years and I can assure everyone that nothing has changed.

Every so often the police threaten to clamp down on motorcycles not wearing helmets, but most of it is only hot air blowing in the wind.

The Thai attitudes are; the laws are there and everyone has been warned, but whatever anyone does, they do at their own risk and discretion and if a person gets seriously injured or killed, that`s their fault.

I have always insisted that my kids wear a helmet when out on their motorbikes and the same applies with me. Providing my family and I do the right thing, that`s good enough for me. As for the rest, it`s their funeral, up to them and I don`t worry about it.

I have some mixed feelings on this issue. I don't like seeing anyone get hurt or killed due to the simple issue of not wearing a helmet, but for personal reasons I wouldn't want Thailand to be turned into the nanny state that Canada has become. I kind of enjoy the quasi-freedom of Thailand where you are allowed to make foolish decisions if you want to. In Canada I have to follow so many foolish laws it becomes ridiculous sometimes. We've lowered everything to the lowest common denominator. I enjoy riding a motorbike in Thailand even though I know it is dangerous. It's not nearly so much fun in Canada where we all have to follow one another like a bunch of robots. I ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!!

I don't buy the story that it messes up my hair. Nothing could mess up my hair more than it already is.

I have some mixed feelings on this issue. I don't like seeing anyone get hurt or killed due to the simple issue of not wearing a helmet, but for personal reasons I wouldn't want Thailand to be turned into the nanny state that Canada has become. I kind of enjoy the quasi-freedom of Thailand where you are allowed to make foolish decisions if you want to. In Canada I have to follow so many foolish laws it becomes ridiculous sometimes. We've lowered everything to the lowest common denominator. I enjoy riding a motorbike in Thailand even though I know it is dangerous. It's not nearly so much fun in Canada where we all have to follow one another like a bunch of robots. I ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!!

I don't buy the story that it messes up my hair. Nothing could mess up my hair more than it already is.

Splitting your head in half might

And then there is the question of the quality of the helmet. Any helmet is better than none, of course, but I see many out there I'd be nearly as uncomfortable wearing as wearing none. Don't just wear a helmet. Wear a good one.

• Like 2

There are few circumstances nowadays in which Darwinian forces can push to make the human species more intelligent. Giving people a choice -- whether formally by having no helmet laws, or informally by not enforcing them strongly -- about wearing helmets on motorcycles is a rare and useful such circumstance. The not so bright ones who don't wear helmets will die in greater numbers, often before producing offspring. The brighter ones who do will survive in greater numbers and produce more offspring. The human species over time will become more intelligent.

Wow, how little you know. I was in many anti-helmet protests in America during the 70"s

Us Harley riders knew the truth. A helmet is only good in a accident under 25 mph.

The U.S. GOV came up with the same facts.After 25mph the helmet justs helps break your neck.

To this day I ride my Harley helmet free in my state and in many other states.

States with helmet laws have about the same death %

Sure a helmet can save you in a low speed accident, I will not dispute that.

When I'm in Thailand I wear a helmet because we are mostly low speed.

But nobody rides a Harley low speed.

Sad story indeed. I've lived here for ten years and I don't understand it: They simply will not wear helmets.

Not just the locals. It would appear that the majority of Farang do the same.

Any death is sad. One that may have been prevented by wearing protection is even sadder.

Agree. I see farangs riding around with no helmets all the time. All the time. Sometimes with nothing on but a pair of shorts. It's not a Thai thing.

Last two motorbikes I bought, came with a fairly good helmet. I stressed (for years) to the wife's two kids ,16&18 ,to wear their helmets, as school requires this too. They look at me and put them on the hook, even if they put them on they would take them off once out of sight.We live in Saraphi and 16 yr old boy has to ride to north side of moat. So riding 80km per hour, dodging cars.???..wife does not incourage them to wear one....

Maybe the helmet would not matter...but sure would increase the odds of living..

I come from a helmet free (up to you) state in USA.....riding a Harley...always wore one when on a long ride, wind and sun will beat you down...

But in Thailand I obey the law and wear one. Makes me feel safer. HOWEVER..in my small local community, going to market..etc etc I do not...not so smart huh?

So it is up to the person....it can only hurt themselves.......BUT I wish they would check their tail lights so I don't run over them..in rural areas the lighting is poor. I see many each night and have had some pretty close calls....put the 30 b. light in..please....

Wow, how little you know.

I know rather a lot actually, among other things from more than five years of experience as a motorcycle racer on high speed race race tracks, including four MotoGP and World Superbike race circuits.

Us Harley riders knew the truth. A helmet is only good in a accident under 25 mph.The U.S. GOV came up with the same facts.After 25mph the helmet justs helps break your neck.

Sheer rubbish. I wouldn't be here three times over but for wearing a helmet when I have crashed that number of times on race tracks at speeds well in excess of 160 kph. How many crashes at that speed have you survived without a helmet? :)

• Like 2

Last two motorbikes I bought, came with a fairly good helmet. I stressed (for years) to the wife's two kids ,16&18 ,to wear their helmets, as school requires this too. They look at me and put them on the hook, even if they put them on they would take them off once out of sight.We live in Saraphi and 16 yr old boy has to ride to north side of moat. So riding 80km per hour, dodging cars.???..wife does not incourage them to wear one....

Maybe the helmet would not matter...but sure would increase the odds of living..

I come from a helmet free (up to you) state in USA.....riding a Harley...always wore one when on a long ride, wind and sun will beat you down...

But in Thailand I obey the law and wear one. Makes me feel safer. HOWEVER..in my small local community, going to market..etc etc I do not...not so smart huh?

So it is up to the person....it can only hurt themselves.......BUT I wish they would check their tail lights so I don't run over them..in rural areas the lighting is poor. I see many each night and have had some pretty close calls....put the 30 b. light in..please....

You are actually sending a mixed message to the kids.sad.png

I had to laugh when you mentioned tail lights. I was crossing the street one dark night when I noticed a motor bike coming at me. He had his headlight on but he had his helmet in front of it in a basket making it hard to see,clap2.gif

• Like 1

Since we are being honest and as I've posted in this thread I only wear a helmet when I'm going on to a larger road not to the market by way of the rice fields and only a mt bike helmet when doing hard single track in the jungle but I also don't ride near traffic. The wife does the same and the kids always have them on when riding on two wheels. Sending a mixed message and not the smartest thing to do as most accidents happen close to home, perhaps in part because one is there more often. I agree but I guess that is one of the reasons why I live here, to be able to decide what level of risk something is and if I am willing to take it.

Since we are being honest and as I've posted in this thread I only wear a helmet when I'm going on to a larger road not to the market by way of the rice fields and only a mt bike helmet when doing hard single track in the jungle but I also don't ride near traffic. The wife does the same and the kids always have them on when riding on two wheels. Sending a mixed message and not the smartest thing to do as most accidents happen close to home, perhaps in part because one is there more often. I agree but I guess that is one of the reasons why I live here, to be able to decide what level of risk something is and if I am willing to take it.

Well I agree with you in principal but that is the kind of decision I make and do not believe I should pass it on to my kids.

I see where a couple in the States is being charged with manslaughter for the death of their baby they do not believe in medical care and it was forced on the son who was to young to even understand it. The result he died.

Wow, how little you know.

I know rather a lot actually, among other things from more than five years of experience as a motorcycle racer on high speed race race tracks, including four MotoGP and World Superbike race circuits.

Us Harley riders knew the truth. A helmet is only good in a accident under 25 mph.The U.S. GOV came up with the same facts.After 25mph the helmet justs helps break your neck.

Sheer rubbish. I wouldn't be here three times over but for wearing a helmet when I have crashed that number of times on race tracks at speeds well in excess of 160 kph. How many crashes at that speed have you survived without a helmet? :)
Can't compare race track to roads. At your last moto grand prix you were in how many trees and telegraph poles were on the track? None. But surely you know this being a moto gp racer huh?

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In a previous life I was a traffic engineer. In the UK during the discussions leading up to compulsory helmet wearing, a lot of statistics were gathered. We learnt that even the wearing of a head scarf reduced the seriousness of injuries. On the average.

Anyway, anyone not wearing a helmet will most certainly not be wearing protective clothing and shoes, which rather negates the 'freedom' argument I think.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Really refreshing to hear some honesty on these threads. In the PC world of the west, it's programmed into our heads that it's always "safety first" and to do otherwise is stupid, suicidal, reckless, etc. So we're supposed to wear a helmet all the time (even on bicycles), wear seatbelts, use an approved child/baby seat, never speed, etc. And then we're supposed to eat right, exercise, not smoke, get an annual check-up, etc., etc. How about individual responsibility that comes with a little freedom of choice?

People who don't wear helmets are not trying to kill themselves. It's a convenience thing and not a nationality thing. I remember years ago that motorcycle riders in the US were up-in-arms about helmet laws, saying that it violated their freedom. (They liked the wind blowing through their hair, basically.) But the insurance companies won out. Just like seatbelts and airbags.

Safety is important, certainly, but it can go overboard. Maybe we should make all drivers wear helmets, just like race car drivers? Would certainly save "some" lives...

• Like 2

But surely you know this being a moto gp racer huh?

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You misread what I wrote, krisb. I said the tracks I have ridden include MotoGP circuits. I did not say I was a MotoGP racer. I was not. I was an amateur racer, not a professional. Your other point was, in essence, that tracks are much safer than ordinary roads. Quite true. And all the more reason to ride more slowly on them and be more careful. Including by wearing a helmet.

• Like 1

The nanny state nation eliminates the risk and fun out of life today, in order to try and get more tomorrows in. But in doing so the today has been compromised. Life and death are two sides of the same coin, and the nanny state places the emphasis on avoiding death for as long as possible at the expense of enjoying the spontaneity and freewheeling approach to life.

A nation like thailand instead places emphasis on today, on enjoying life at the possible expense of an early death. Death will come when it comes, but enjoying the today, enjoying life is the motto.

Simply getting on your bike and going where you need to go is a great freedom. It carries a risk, but so does most of life that's worth living.

I won't wear one on local back sois, i will wear one in town. I absolutely hate helmets but unfortunately i'm no longer young where i just assume i will carry on living regardless, and where i'm not old enough to start thinking and worrying about a possible death. It's one of the joys of being young, you are immortal, and you don't worry about security.

Well, that's the way it used to be in western nations, but now the nanny state approach has taken over the poor youth don't even get to risk their lives any more.

• Like 1