A Sad Time

masuk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that death is not a genuine deterrent to people not wearing helmets in Thailand

Until enforcement of helmet laws is about safety, not personal BiB revenue raising, there seems very little other incentive for people to wear helmets.

Sad when someone you know is killed.

Would the cynical thais say it was karma?.....or would every Thai say that?

Sorry for the guy but its just natural wastage.

In the west we try so hard to save lives so that in later life the govt can say sorry you have to die a slow death because the funding for medicine is not there now.

I think Thai have it right, if you can't help yourself don't expect tea and sympathy.

Would the cynical thais say it was karma?.....or would every Thai say that?

Sorry for the guy but its just natural wastage.

In the west we try so hard to save lives so that in later life the govt can say sorry you have to die a slow death because the funding for medicine is not there now.

I think Thai have it right, if you can't help yourself don't expect tea and sympathy.

there is a lot of talk about death because the bike rider did not have a helmet on.

Now I am absolutely positively sure this happens.

But what is over looked is the fact that a lot of road accidents resulting in death are because emergency medical help does not get to them in time. The first hour after the accident it is very important to have medical attention after an hour the death rate rises sharply.

• Like 1

Sad story indeed. I've lived here for ten years and I don't understand it: They simply will not wear helmets.

Not just the locals. It would appear that the majority of Farang do the same.

Any death is sad. One that may have been prevented by wearing protection is even sadder.

Wearing a helmet is not sexy here. Try to understand why Thais won't wear a hat and then use a laptop to keep the sun off, which would make them look like a peasant. Same thing for eyeglasses, many of them are driving half blind.

The students around here know exactly on what routes and at what times the police are active checking helmet usage.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

If the young man in the OP could afford a motorbike @ 50k, sure he could afford a helmet for 2-300.

So who is to blame for him getting killed? Not the BIB, after all this is not a nannystate, he chose to drive without a helmet, got into an accident and got killed. Tuff luck! But to a certain extent we are responsible for our own actions.

And now the family wants someone else (farangs, who they normally despise) to pay for the funeral.

Welcome to Thailand.

Yes this is just true, ignorant people gotta learn hard, very hard lessons yet they didn't even started but the truth is they developing backwards. The whole educational system does not learn them anything positive, not even the important lessons in life like responsibility, discipline, dignity, self-esteem, the laws of cause and effect. The government refuses any responsibility but pre-occupied with themelves as always, the police for a large part just taking advantage of the failed system. But at the end ignorant people are responsible for their own behaviour. And I don't feel sorry for somebody hurt or killed by his own stupidity. Very often such totally irresponsible, immature behaviour kills someone who is innocent, without them taking any responsibility.

Young people, unfortunately, are too young to be able to make responsible decisions about whether or not to wear a helmet.

They need protection from themselves until they are old enough, and their brains developed enough, to decide logically what is right for them.

But I still recall 40 years after the fact

I was still in university and was doing EEG work for a researcher, and also at hospitals to make money for tuition.

One night very late I was called in to do an EEG on a young girl, 16, who was brain dead.

She was extremely beautiful and she was not noticeably injured so that her beauty was still there.

Her boyfriend whose bike she was riding was in the hospital ward below.

I could not believe it, there she lay, sexy as hell naked under the sheets, attached to tubes and respirator.

What a waste.

Young people, unfortunately, are too young to be able to make responsible decisions about whether or not to wear a helmet.

They need protection from themselves until they are old enough, and their brains developed enough, to decide logically what is right for them.

But I still recall 40 years after the fact

I was still in university and was doing EEG work for a researcher, and also at hospitals to make money for tuition.

One night very late I was called in to do an EEG on a young girl, 16, who was brain dead.

She was extremely beautiful and she was not noticeably injured so that her beauty was still there.

Her boyfriend whose bike she was riding was in the hospital ward below.

I could not believe it, there she lay, sexy as hell naked under the sheets, attached to tubes and respirator.

What a waste.

• Like 1

I like the fact that it's my choice whether I wear a helmet.

If I wanted to live in a country where I'm told what to do, when to do it, how to do it and where if I don't look where I'm going and hit my head, someone else is responsible and should be sued, I could. I have chosen to live in a country where in general I choose what I do and when I do it, and I take responsibility for my choices.

Anyone getting upset about the disregard for safety laws here has surely chosen to live in the wrong country. England, where you're not allowed to water your garden without permission and if you are a day late putting out your bin, you are a criminal, would be a better choice.

No thanks. I'll take the rough with the smooth here.

It is not your choice to wear a helmet or not as the law in Thailand clearly says you should wear one when on a motorbike.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If I wanted to live in a country where I'm told what to do, when to do it, how to do it and where if I don't look where I'm going and hit my head, someone else is responsible and should be sued, I could. I have chosen to live in a country where in general I choose what I do and when I do it, and I take responsibility for my choices.

Anyone getting upset about the disregard for safety laws here has surely chosen to live in the wrong country. England, where you're not allowed to water your garden without permission and if you are a day late putting out your bin, you are a criminal, would be a better choice.

Also without life/health/bike insurance I guess ? laugh.png

I'm impressed. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Also without life/health/bike insurance I guess ? laugh.png

I'm impressed. coffee1.gif

I'm impressed you know so much about me. However, FYI my employment provides health insurance and I don't own a motorbike. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Why?

Thai culture. People are left to do what they want without repurcusions.

The problem is they also get very little guidance from those in society who should be role models: parents, teachers, police.

Had policeman go through a red light last week with hisnkid sitting on the gastank. No helmets, through the red light. Why not, no reppurcusions...

It is not your choice to wear a helmet or not as the law in Thailand clearly says you should wear one when on a motorbike.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I totally agree.

In Australia we're often going on about why migrants don't always follow our laws, and the same applies for us choosing to live in Thailand. Their country - their laws.

I think it is so arrogant to think that we can come here and decide which laws to obey and which to ignore.

And yes, a helmet makes a huge difference. It absorbs the shock of your skull making contact with a highway at 60kmh, and will sometimes crack open. Better that than your skull methinks.

• Like 2

Nobody is interested in saving lives and nobody is interested in saving their own life in LOS. sad.png

I may be wrong but I do believe some people come over here to die.

For my self I like the idea of taking responsibility for myself. The nanny state is not for me.

A Nanny state is set up for length of life.

Here in Thailand I may die earlier but the quality of my life is far better here.

• Like 2

off topic, but i hate the seatbelt law...

as far as helmets go, its a shame the boy died...But it was lack of perception of what was around him that killed him.

Some Thai people are not very perceptive to whats around them.

Sometimes im waiting ages to wave down a waitress to get the bill at a restaurant, no scanning of the room by waitstaff at all.