Good Bank Required In Khon Kaen City

allane

I expect to be moving to Khon Kaen soon. I am on a Retirement Visa, using the "cash in the bank" method. I am seeking opinions re the competence or incompetence of banks in the city. I speak Thai well, so please, I am not looking for opinions as to their competence in speaking English.

Rather, I am soliciting opinions about their competence and attitude to foreigners on retirement visas.

- Are the familiar with the requirements of the Immigration office, and willing to write the necessary letter on a timely basis ?

- Are they willing to accept in-bound transfers in foreign currency, and convert those to baht ?

I would appreciate any comments both positive or negative. I think Khon Kaen is large enough that many banks have more than one branch there, so please make it clear which branch you are commenting on. And, everything else being equal, I would prefer a bank near the Immigration office.

They are nearly all the same. Only the state own banks do not pay you interests. (KTB/...)

May look that you have 2 accounts. One for the 800k and one to show the immigration, what money you are using to living from.

Always a good idea to try the bank branches in Big C or Tesco. (SCB and Kasikorn)

They are more used to dealing with foreigners and know all about supplying documents for Immigration.

Both on the same road as Immigration.

I have found the SCB in Big C to be very friendly and helpful.

Moved to Isaan forum.

• Like 1

Can not speak for Khon Kaen city. I live far out in the KK province.

I have different accounts with Bangkok Bank at the Amphoe town.

Though they don't speak much english, there was no problem to get the printout for the immigration.

SCB on the other hand, was a bit strange in transscibing my name to Thai in some self invented method and printing it on the bank book blink.png

Never seen that on any other bank book.

Foreign transfers are basically no problem.

Just use the correct SWIFT Code and account number.

AND always send the money in your own currency. DO NOT send THB (aka. conversion at your country with very bad rates).

The money will automatically be converted to THB on arrival.

Depending on the amount transferred it might be necessary to show up at your branch and signing some documents declaring that the money ist legally yours before it is booked to your account. Its about money laundering laws.

Always a good idea to try the bank branches in Big C or Tesco. (SCB and Kasikorn)

They are more used to dealing with foreigners and know all about supplying documents for Immigration.

Both on the same road as Immigration.

I have found the SCB in Big C to be very friendly and helpful.

Moved to Isaan forum.

The main SCB on Sri Chan road have always looked after me well on my marriage extension paperwork.

Sorry, why would you like to have a bank near the Immigration? As another poster had already mentioned, please consider to open a bank account at a Tesco, or, Big-C.

They're open on weekends and even on holidays. Please be aware that you could get a higher interest rate, if your wife, (should you be married) will sign as well. There must be a way to get this letter for Immigration, just having you on the document.

When I'd first moved to Thailand, I'd lost a fortune, because they'were not telling me that I could get 4,5, instead of 0.8% interest, being on a Non-O at that time.

Good luck!-wai2.gif .

Edited by sirchai