Search Limited From 2012-05-31

JetsetBkk

I suppose the search is limited because of the processing power it consumes.

But why not allow the user to specify the search dates, even if they are limited to a one year span?

I worked on a system where searches were allowed, but the processes were at the lowest priority possible to allow other, critical operations to continue. Can't this be done with this forum software?

Today, a problem was posed by one member in the Internet forum and I know I had the same problem before so searched for what I wrote. There were no results because my detailed and informative post was written about three years ago.

If there is any other way to search through old posts please let me know.

That's odd. There used to be an option to select Archives so you could search all the way back but don't see it now. Will have to look into that. Used to look like this.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Thanks - yes, I remember something about searching "archives", but can't find it now.

Hope you can find out where it's gone! biggrin.png

Software update probably knocked it out. DEEP in the release notes was probably something about "depreciation" or "new admin options" and I don't care HOW diligent you are a quick release schedule that sometimes comes along with bug fixes, etc can mean that reading release notes can be just too low a priority.

We've ALL been caught out at some point. Just be glad it was a tech-aware user that pointed it out :)

Software update probably knocked it out. DEEP in the release notes was probably something about "depreciation" or "new admin options" and I don't care HOW diligent you are a quick release schedule that sometimes comes along with bug fixes, etc can mean that reading release notes can be just too low a priority.

We've ALL been caught out at some point. Just be glad it was a tech-aware user that pointed it out smile.png

Indeed. Also sometimes switch defaults are changed or forgotten to be reset to our specific needs. Possibly what is going on here. Will bring it up in the mods forum.

Problem has been resolved and now the Archive search is available again. Thanks to George.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner - I don't get notifications unless my own posts are quoted. I must re-check my settings.

Anyway, I just noticed that the "Archives" option has returned in the Search Form. Thanks very much.

Now, if I could only remember what it was I wanted to search for... rolleyes.gif

Edit:

I remembered it and found it in an archived thread. Thanks!

Edited by JetsetBkk

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip of using the advanced search / archives option. I did not know about it before.

There might still be some problems with the archives. I did an search which gave results to the threads starting in early 2012.

The search itself was ok, but when I try to open some of these result threads, I get 500 Server error. Trying to reload does not help either.

At least now the server load seems to be low at 0.46, so that's not likely the problem.

Thanks for the tip of using the advanced search / archives option. I did not know about it before.

There might still be some problems with the archives. I did an search which gave results to the threads starting in early 2012.

The search itself was ok, but when I try to open some of these result threads, I get 500 Server error. Trying to reload does not help either.

At least now the server load seems to be low at 0.46, so that's not likely the problem.

I noticed an issue on the search results also. If the search link is to a post within a topic I get an error. So I strip off all except the main topic title without the ref part and the topic comes up. Example below: 1st gives me an empty page, probably the same as your 500 error depending on browser. 2nd one I stripped off the ?view... part and works.

?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

I noticed an issue on the search results also. If the search link is to a post within a topic I get an error. So I strip off all except the main topic title without the ref part and the topic comes up. Example below: 1st gives me an empty page, probably the same as your 500 error depending on browser. 2nd one I stripped off the ?view... part and works.

?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

that should be a glitch in server side URL rewriting (Apache Mod Rewrite?) - probably a missing QSA flag