Bangkoks Bad Habit: Plastic Bags

Lite Beer

The ultimate irony - the wife bought a bag of food sized plastic bags at the market and they put them in a plastic bag. coffee1.gif

As a somewhat sinister way to reduce the plastic bag usage, I suggest that all scooters are stripped of the wee hookey thing designed to hang your plastic bags on. w00t.gif

Gsxrnz those " wee hookey things " are actually designed to hang helmets on in an effort to stop some-one stealing them, didn't work

for me one time the thief cut the strap and nicked the one strap helmet. laugh.png

Why would they cut the strap if it was hanging on the hook ?

OK Spoonman I will bite, the hooks are at the front of the seat when you lift the seat you place the helmet to

put one strap inside the seat and locate it on a hook then close/lock the seat, how else did you think it would

discourage theft if it was simply hanging on a hook??? sad.png

Err lets play spotto the hook that Gsxrnz might have been referring to in reference to hanging a plastic bag from shall we........................

1160883086.jpg

Can ya see it ?

Here's a hint, looks like a small erect dogs penis......................

Edited by Spoonman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gsxrnz those " wee hookey things " are actually designed to hang helmets on in an effort to stop some-one stealing them, didn't work

for me one time the thief cut the strap and nicked the one strap helmet.

Why would they cut the strap if it was hanging on the hook ?

OK Spoonman I will bite, the hooks are at the front of the seat when you lift the seat you place the helmet to

put one strap inside the seat and locate it on a hook then close/lock the seat, how else did you think it would

discourage theft if it was simply hanging on a hook??? sad.png

Err lets play spotto the hook that Gsxrnz might have been referring to in reference to hanging a plastic bag from shall we........................

Can ya see it ?

Here's a hint, looks like a small erect dogs penis......................

Spoonman I told you where the hooks were, but if you prefer, I think you mean small dogs erect penis, you go for it

laddie. thumbsup.gif

Are you a vet or just a dogs penis expert???? cheesy.gif

The hook you seem to be referring to is in fact a handbag hook according to the Honda salesman I asked but I dare say

it could be used for hanging anything on but the hooks I am referring to can be easily seen when you lift the seat as I already

pointed out. biggrin.png

Edited by phuketjock

This afternoon I bought 6 pastries. Each pastry went into it's own little plastic bag, only to be sealed with cello tape. Then all 6 pastries, each in their own (now sealed) plastic bag was placed into a larger plastic bag.

Amazing Thailand, indeed.

Where were you when all this was going on?

• Like 1

Aluminum cans don't lie around too long on the curbs, alleys and sides of klongs because they have an intrinsic value and are collected (most often not discarded) and sold in the recycling chain. . Plastics - especially bags do not have such a built in value but could have.

There is a business opportunity here but it would take vision and capital. The government could do it but no one is holding their breath.

In the U.S.A at several plant sites there are factories making plastic / cellulose extruded lumber from waste plastics bags and sawdust. These products are sold in places like Lowes and Home Depot as long life decking lumber. The bags are collected via various recycling methods, thrashed and ground into small particles, sawdust and epoxies are added to for a thick slurry and it is then extruded like many plastic processes ... The result is very strong, long life composite lumber cut to size for porch decking. This product is mold - fungus resistant, UV resistant, will not rot and last as long as 30 years. Sounds like a good product for Thailand to me.

http://epsplasticlumber.com/index.cfm/page/b_product_comparison/product-comparison.cfm

http://www.tamko.com/Decks-Docks-Railing/Brands

http://www.trex.com/

http://www.correctdeck.com/

I also believe this type of composite lumber could be extruded and / or cut into pieces suitable for making outdoor furniture, fencing and other products.

One or two manufacturing plants wouldn't solve the entire problem - but it would set the pace and elevate the standard - and make someone a lot of money.

Edited by JDGRUEN

Another sensible product made from recycled waste plastics including plastic bags... Long life inert building blocks ... Take a look.

http://www.byfusion.net/productspecs.html

Taking care of waste plastics has to be done at both ends. Cutting down on usage is one way - but cutting out usage is not a total answer - a total cut - not feasible. Create a market for the recycled plastics - including bags and the manufacturing process helps take care of the situation on the other end. Great Building Blocks - interlocking, rot proof, strong - just waiting to be manufactured in Thailand - cleaning up the streets, shores and byways - along the way.

Edited by JDGRUEN

Paying for bags is the way to go. You will only use them when you really have to.

In Canada they ask if you want a bag and it will cost you a nickel. I usually say no unless I cant carry all the

stuff. I try to bring the reusable bag to the store. In fact I took some to Thailand with me and had someone

ask me "what are you hiding" haha I told them I am trying to be green! But I don't think it fazed them.

I walk around Thailand and I cant believe the garbage on the street. I told my GF, you come to Canada and you wont see that.

There is a serious shortage of trash bins. In Canada if someone doesn't use one they will get a reprimand if someone sees

them tossing garbage . But to fair we had this campaign on tv for years about littering. I have seen people getting out of their cars and something falls out and they chase it across the lot. Its all about education. and once the nation has this mind set you are proud of this and want to keep the nation clean. You don't want others to come to your country and say what a pigsty.

Paying for bags is the way to go. You will only use them when you really have to.

No. Let the stores take 5 Baht off your'e bill if you do not take a bag, say if the bill is more than 50 Baht. Why should the stores be better off financially? What about the most important people of the lot, the customers.

• Like 1

Macro don't use bags.

7/11 are the worst offenders. .. buy 6 cans and they will give yiu 6 straws

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Give us six straws to each can, then we can do what the indians do.