Accident On Route 102

RED21

Passed by an accident last night on my way to work. Route 120 just a few kilometers from Bosang to Maerim. Dead guy, possibly late 30s or 40s, lying in the middle of the road on his stomach. Blood all over his head, eyes closed. More blood coming out of a gaping mouth. A few meters away was his motorcycle and even a few meters more one of his slippers. The guy was on the wrong side of the road so either he was trying to cross when a car or truck hit him or he was driving on the wrong side of the road (which is a common practice in these parts...).

The place smelled something like a dead squid. It must have been a while but no one bothered to cover the body. A guy in shorts and slippers was trying to direct the traffic asking rubberneckers to move along.
I think a cheap helmet might have saved him.

Been looking around for news about the incident online,...

sadly this all too common around here. motorcycle rider not wearing a helmet, cheap slippers, etc. a few years ago i was driving back from Phrao and close to Mae Jo there had just been an accident; 2 kids on a motorcycle. one had been wearing a cheap helmet but was useless as pieces of the plastic helmet were scattered all over both sides of the Mae Jo road along with thousands of pieces of plastic from parts of the motorcycle as well as slippers, mobile telephones, toes, parts of arm and so forth. we stopped and the wife thought they had been carrying something from the butcher or something. looked closer and it was the brains of one of the kids. many rubberneck Thais looking and snapping photos but no one bothered to cover the bodies. same thing, one guy wearing slippers trying to direct traffic and get people to keep going and stop taking photos shouting 'pai loy'.

this post made me nauseous. which is probably a good thing. thank you.

Well, I saw it just a few kilometers from my house while I was going to my workplace which is about an hour and a half ride for me on my bike. The image just kept popping out in my mind while I was riding. I felt a huge lump in my throat and another in my chest. I could feel the cold sweat underneath my riding jacket. I had to stopover three times, just to calm myself from the shock...

this post made me nauseous. which is probably a good thing. thank you.

Well, I saw it just a few kilometers from my house while I was going to my workplace which is about an hour and a half ride for me on my bike. The image just kept popping out in my mind while I was riding. I felt a huge lump in my throat and another in my chest. I could feel the cold sweat underneath my riding jacket. I had to stopover three times, just to calm myself from the shock...

That is a good thing! Sometimes I think it should be required of every motorcyclist to attend those grisly accidents just to learn a lesson about safety skills.

Quite ironic then that just a few meters from the accident, I see people driving on the opposite side of the road, and a few more speeding and barely squeezing past fast cars and pickups...:D probably one of the worst ones was someone crossing of yellow double solids without even looking for incoming traffic. "Oh, when will they ever learn..."

:D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I watched them pull a dead guy out of the moat this morning as the sun came up opposite Nana Screw. Only his bike was messed up but it looked like it flipped upside down as the handle bars were bent down and the top of the seat was scraped up, so it literally flipped upside down. They had to get in the water and look for the body because he didn't float. After about 20 minutes or so they pulled him up and to my surprise, he didn't have a scratch on his body. No blood anywhere, nothing. I haven't seen anything in the news about it, but it looks like he may have passed out, hit the curb, flew into the water already passed out, and the bike flipped down the road or sidewalk. He looked to be mid to late 20s, well dressed.

As usual, all the Thais were taking photos with their phones, making quiet jokes and laughing. It is such a disturbing scene watching Thais around dead people. It always reminds me just how jaded they are and how little life really means here.

What was more shocking was the overwhelming stench of alcohol that was everywhere as all the drivers were stopping to see what was going on. EVERY SINGLE THAI I stood next to REEKED of booze, even the first responders.