Check Clearance - Thai Bank To Thai Bank

Hi all.

Can anybody kindly give me an aprocimate time for a cheque from one Thai bank to clear in another or if they offer an express service to clear it quicker?

The cheque is from Bank of Ayutthaya and it's being paid into Bangkok Bank.

Many thanks.

I remember a few years ago when I deposited a check from a Thai company that I think was an SCB account, the Bangkok Bank rep said it normally takes 2-3 business days for such a check to clear.

I remember a few years ago when I deposited a check from a Thai company that I think was an SCB account, the Bangkok Bank rep said it normally takes 2-3 business days for such a check to clear.

And just to clarify, I'm "not" talking about using any Express clearance; just normal check processing.

took a CITI Thai check to K bank at 1120 am yesterday and by the time I got home at 5PM that day it was in my account. Kbank credits it the same day.

Based on the one check I deposited with Bangkok Bank a few years ago like I mentioned in above posts it also appeared in my account immediately, but the Bangkok Bank rep told me when while the deposit I couldn't actually withdraw that amount until the check clears in a few business days. Kinda like how a foreign credit card charge will hit you account immediately but won't actually "post/finalize" for a few more days....and until it "posts" you don't know what the final exchange rate given/charge hitting your account will be...it could vary a little between it first hitting your account and the posting date. And even in the States when I used to deposit a check with my credit union there was something like a 3-7 business day clearing time...the amount would appear in my account immediately but depending on the amount of the check I may not be able to withdraw the funds if that was the only funds I had in my account...there was actually a "hold amount code" against that amount in the system which I couldn't see until the check cleared. Yeap, there can be a difference between it appearing in your account and actually being able to access/withdraw the money.

took a CITI Thai check to K bank at 1120 am yesterday and by the time I got home at 5PM that day it was in my account. Kbank credits it the same day.

Based on the one check I deposited with Bangkok Bank a few years ago like I mentioned in above posts it also appeared in my account immediately, but the Bangkok Bank rep told me when while the deposit I couldn't actually withdraw that amount until the check clears in a few business days. Kinda like how a foreign credit card charge will hit you account immediately but won't actually "post/finalize" for a few more days....and until it "posts" you don't know what the final exchange rate given/charge hitting your account will be...it could vary a little between it first hitting your account and the posting date. And even in the States when I used to deposit a check with my credit union there was something like a 3-7 business day clearing time...the amount would appear in my account immediately but depending on the amount of the check I may not be able to withdraw the funds if that was the only funds I had in my account...there was actually a "hold amount code" against that amount in the system which I couldn't see until the check cleared. Yeap, there can be a difference between it appearing in your account and actually being able to access/withdraw the money.

It was a Thai Baht check and was available the same day.

I was also talking a check issued in Thai baht.

I was also talking a check issued in Thai baht.

You did it a few years back I did it Last Monday. A lot has changed since you made your deposit.

Just because it appears in your account immediately, does not mean it would really be available for immediate withdrawal. That was I was saying and that is what I was told by the bank rep in that it would appear in my account immediately (and it did), but it would be 2-3 business days before the check cleared and the money could be actually withdrawn. Say I had zero in my account before the deposit, I deposit a 10K baht check, it appears/credit to my account immediately, but if I tried to withdraw that amount before the check cleared I couldn't as the amount was not part of my "available" balance yet.

And the only way for a person to really test is if its really available is trying to withdraw/transfer enough money that would also have to tap into the check deposit. Hopefully it does happen same day in Thai banks now, but I have my doubts they clear checks that fast and are that trusting.