My Dog Is Chasin&killing Neighbor's Chickens- Any Suggestions

jcb2001

Today I found my dog has a hole in his side. Took him to the vet this afternoon and it is a 3 1/2 deep knife wound. Fortunately not straight into his gut but at an angle. I suspect an intruder as I found the fan and a dining chair were knocked over when I returned home last night. If I find the bastard that did it..........!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't seem like a difficult problem to solve. If you cannot train your dog, then confine it. If you cannot confine it, then it will end up dead and you won't be very popular in your neighbourhood.

I have 3 pitbull/sharpei crosses. They love chicken. I know this. I built a large pen for them before I even brought them to Isaan. They kill the chickens that get in the pen. Every once in a while I screw up and one gets loose outside the pen. 99% there'll be a chicken dead. My fault, not the dog's. I do not punish them for it.

I built the pen myself. I used 1 1/2" round steel for posts, chainlink fencing and dug down 1 foot and poured concrete the entire perimeter to stop them from digging out. Fence is 1.5 meters tall. Pen is 15m x 20m . Cost 30,000 baht. I love the dogs and cannot fence the entire property this year, so they get a large pen. Next year I'll fence the property, I'll let the dogs loose and we'll have a chicken feast. Until then, they live in the pen. I would not let the dogs loose in the community.

Good luck with your fence building.

Every once in a while I get my bow out and shoot a chicken or two. This drives the dogs into a frenzy. They are chicken killing dogs.

Kind of appalled at some of the cheers for this situation. Clearly some posters have their own issues of local chickens destroying their lives but the reality is that this dog will have no happy future if it is continually allowed access to them. I'm just surprised at how people put an animal in a situation that its very nature causes it to do what that animal does, and then blame the animal. Or cheer it on.

If you own an animal, you're responsible for it. Take that responsibility seriously or turn the animal over to somebody that will.

• Like 2

Kind of appalled at some of the cheers for this situation. Clearly some posters have their own issues of local chickens destroying their lives but the reality is that this dog will have no happy future if it is continually allowed access to them. I'm just surprised at how people put an animal in a situation that its very nature causes it to do what that animal does, and then blame the animal. Or cheer it on.

If you own an animal, you're responsible for it. Take that responsibility seriously or turn the animal over to somebody that will.

and those who own the chickens should be responsible for them and the damage they cause???????

and those who own the chickens should be responsible for them and the damage they cause???????

I don't understand how you go from a chicken problem to doing what's best for your dog. They are completely separate issues. The OP specifically said that his dogs are killing chickens off his property. If a chicken gets in your yard then fair game but there's a basic responsibility to keep your animal safe and others safe from it. Fencing a dog is the most humane thing to do for the dog unless you are living in a more isolated situation.

I've let my dogs run loose in past when I lived in the woods but never when living in a neighborhood. And even then, dogs have a way of seeking out trouble in the woods.

They're dogs.

• Like 1

In my part of the world a nice grilled dog supper with a beer is a grand treat..

Ilckley?

I tried persuading Harry Ramsdens to get into the dog meat market but..they still think mushy peas is as exotic as it gets..

• Like 1

An old treatment that works pretty well.

1... Purchase a sacrificial chicken.

2... get hold of the hottest mustard or chili paste available

3...Plaster the chicken with the paste and let it go near the offending dog , he wont forget the lesson in a hurry.

Nonsense!

there seems to be 3 kinds of answer here

1 - those who espouse violence towards either the dog or the chickens

2- those who think they are funny.

3 - THose who try to understand animal behaviour and how to handle it.

i think that says more about the posters than the problem

Group one and group three are the same people.

Group one and group three are the same people.

absolutely 100% NOT!!!! - if you believe that you have a profoundly mistaken understanding of animal behaviour.

Edited by wilcopops

Lost track of the original posters circumstances but in most of rural Thailand, dogs who kill chickens don't live long, chickens roam freely in thai villages alongside village dogs with no problems, if one goes rogue then its dealt with in the same way any dog that bites a child, control the dog or get rid.

JP

Edited by Bkkbound

I think you've completely forgotten a fourth group

Those who would separate the dogs and the chickens territories by fencing. Non violent, not funny, nothing to do with behavior. All to do with control and most importantly RESPONSIBILITY.

• Like 1

Those who would separate the dogs and the chickens territories by fencing. Non violent, not funny, nothing to do with behavior. All to do with control and most importantly RESPONSIBILITY.

Barriers can be regarded as a form of violence - especially as you point out, they don't take into account animal behaviour and can lead to a "disturbed" animal which in turn leads to other problems.

I think a shortcoming of the "violence" advocates is that their "cures" only address the one issue - and actually pretty ineffectually at that - what TRAINING does for a dog is prepare it for MANY situations not just chickens; if the animal is properly trained it won't chase cars (are you going to tie one round its neck for that too?), it won't bark at everything that moves, or run off and harass other animals and people in the neighbourhood etc etc....in short you and your dog will become socially acceptable members of your community.

I have this image in my head of a dog that chases cars, postmen cats chickens etc wandering around with an array of related items ties around it's neck.....or aan elephant walking about with a poor dog hanging off its neck......should have chased something smaller?

Barriers can be regarded as a form of violence - especially as you point out, they don't take into account animal behaviour and can lead to a "disturbed" animal which in turn leads to other problems.

I think a shortcoming of the "violence" advocates is that their "cures" only address the one issue - and actually pretty ineffectually at that - what TRAINING does for a dog is prepare it for MANY situations not just chickens; if the animal is properly trained it won't chase cars (are you going to tie one round its neck for that too?), it won't bark at everything that moves, or run off and harass other animals and people in the neighbourhood etc etc....in short you and your dog will become socially acceptable members of your community.

Never said I was going to tie anything around a dog's neck. Please retract your remark.

Are you advocating no boundaries for animals? Sure seems so. If so I think that very irresponsible, not only to the animal but your human neighbors as well. If you advocate no barriers for dogs then it should be the same for humans. Let me know when I can come and sh?t in your house.

Having a dog constantly chained is cruel. Leaving a dog in a small cage for too long is cruel. But fencing your dog in isn't cruel in any way. If your space is so small that it's cruel to confine your dog, then you shouldn't have the dog. And the problem began when you brought the dog home.

I don't have a dog now because the space I have isn't enough. We all make choices.

Having a dog constantly chained is cruel. Leaving a dog in a small cage for too long is cruel. But fencing your dog in isn't cruel in any way. If your space is so small that it's cruel to confine your dog, then you shouldn't have the dog. And the problem began when you brought the dog home.

I don't have a dog now because the space I have isn't enough. We all make choices.

If you need to cage or fence your dog because of the dogs behaviour, you are failing to address the problem and in turn creating more problems..,.e.g. The dog running off every time he gets out. You have in reality created another behavioural problem.

Edited by wilcopops

If you need to cage or fence your dog because of the dogs behaviour, you are failing to address the problem and in turn creating more problems..,.e.g. The dog running off every time he gets out. You have in reality created another behavioural problem.

Well you can have a philosophical debate about your failure to properly train a dog and what steps you can take to remedy the problem over the course of months or years or you can build a fence.

My experience is that people that let their dogs run loose aren't really involved in much training unless it's to bring the cows in to milk etc. Maybe you've experienced things differently.

Well you can have a philosophical debate about your failure to properly train a dog and what steps you can take to remedy the problem over the course of months or years or you can build a fence.

My experience is that people that let their dogs run loose aren't really involved in much training unless it's to bring the cows in to milk etc. Maybe you've experienced things differently.

I don't know if you are deliberately dichotomising the argument or you simply don't understand.....

"My experience is that people that let their dogs run loose" - run on the loose implies exactly the opposite to my proposition; it indicates to me they aren't trained and have quite possibly escaped from some inappropriate confinement

Cages, enclosures or fence.......with regards to the dog, these are all means of restraint which in turn is are form of repression effected by

violence or force.

You might want to consider when a cage becomes and enclosure becomes a fence. - there is no black and white definition.

Whatever, they are physically restricting the dog - the argument is that he shouldn’t need restricting because either he doesn’t stray or is unlikely to cause problems when away from the home.

Whatever the case enclosure is a NEGATIVE approach to the problem. Dogs can be quite territorial and will with the owners help create their own natural psychological parameters - this can be a positive thing in the mind of a dog. With the right training it will perceive the edges of your property as its own boundaries. It will remain at home whether or not a costly fence surrounds the place - untraiined dogs will inevitably get out at some point. The fence is damaged, gates are left open and the fiasco begins......

The difference is whether the dog is comfortable inside its OWN territory or imprisoned by its owner

Edited by wilcopops

Hmm, let me explain then because I'm pretty sure I fully understand. I mean, it's not complicated.

I don't know if you are deliberately dichotomising the argument or you simply don't understand....

My point is that when you have a problem of a dog running around and killing chickens, the first thing you need to do is stop the behavior and the quickest way to do that is to install a fence like most people and keep the dog and chickens and by the way, kids safe. If you decide you are going to take the time and put the dog through intensive training to stop it from this behavior then that's awesome. But you shouldn't leave the dog to run around while you are doing that.

My dogs have always been pretty good but not perfect but dogs are susceptible to the influence of other dogs and if your dog is running loose, there's a good chance it's going to hook up with others and learn their habits. Good luck training a dog with that going on.

Finally, my point was that all this talk of training means that the owner has to invest in the time etc to do that. And my experience is that people who leave their dogs outside in a city aren't typically the ones that are going to make that effort.