Bangkok Bank Question

while i was in bkk, in 2012, i opened a savings acount at bkk bank near asoke, at 1st they said, i needed a work permit, but then i was allowed to open another type w/o one, i put in, $20 USD.

i'm wondering what the different account type would be.

and, now i would like to check the balance on the account, but am wondering if there is an English phone line, i could call from overseas

as i would like to test deposit via the NY Branch, that I have heard about, and then recheck the balance

You can dial this number: (66) 0-2645-5555. Also, here one of their webpage regarding contact info. Link.

What they may have done is opened you a regular saving account that does "not" bear interest since you were not living in Thailand/had a long term visa/had a work permit. Whereas if had had a long term visa/work permit the account would bear interest also. It still a regular saving account it just it's not bearing interest/they just coded the account not to pay interest.

If you have a savings account you can get internet banking and check your balance any-time anywhere even with your smartphone. If BKK Bank can not help you use K-Bank they will help you

Please read OP again, the poster is overseas so he can't open another account or i-banking

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MJCM

I set up Bangkok bank for ACH transfers from my bank in the US to the New York branch of Bangkok bank using my local Thai branch account number. It's free inside the US, but Bangkok Bank still dinged me about $25 on each transfer.

I doubt it that they will give you any information (especially Bank Balance) over the phone !!

Edit: // Added PS:

Ps: Contact Info for Bangkok Bank here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/ContactUs/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

Nonsense, call the number as stated in Pib's post. I'm on a visit to U.S. now, and did a balance check Monday.

Edited by beechguy

I doubt it that they will give you any information (especially Bank Balance) over the phone !!

Ps: Contact Info for Bangkok Bank here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/ContactUs/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

Nonsense, call the number as stated in Pib's post. I'm on a visit to U.S. now, and did a balance check Monday.

Oke, but where you asked for any specific info to identify yourself when you called them? (Just curious)

Edited by MJCM

You can get your balance, but they will ask your atm card number and pin code to verify your identity.

You most likely wil have been given a savings account, which is flagged as non-resident.

Which means for example not being able to get internet banking.

All the rest (atm, transfers etc) will work as usual.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

BBL likes to give foreign customers the run around about needing a work permit which is not required by Bank of Thailand regulations. It is pure racism on their part. Once I asked for a new savings account book and was told they would close my account of over 10 years because I couldn't produce a work permit. Being a permanent resident I produced my alien book and residence certificate and they said they didn't care about those, they only wanted a work permit. Eventually I forced them to call head office who called off the dogs. So they decided you weren't qualified for a domestic account and opened an external account for you. What nonsense. The solution is to bank with another bank that is less into racism and never darken BBl's racist portals again.

Edited by Arkady

I set up Bangkok bank for ACH transfers from my bank in the US to the New York branch of Bangkok bank using my local Thai branch account number. It's free inside the US, but Bangkok Bank still dinged me about $25 on each transfer.

I've been charged $10 by Bangkok Bank in NY for each deposit made and Baht 200 locally.

If you have an ATM card number, you can call Bangkok Bank (in Thailand) using the number given by Pib above, choose English, supply the information requested by using your phone's push buttons and get the current balance. You can also have Bangkok Bank send you an SMS (again in Thailand) detailing any account activity, including deposits made through the NY branch once they are credited locally.

It's always worked like clockwork for me. Never had a problem with Bangkok Bank in over 15 years.

Edited by Suradit69

Oke, but where you asked for any specific info to identify yourself when you called them? (Just curious)

Yes, entered acct number, PIN and followed the instructions, as in the post above.

Edited by beechguy

You must have been transferring over $50K to get dinged around $25. Below is the fee Bangkok Bank would apply as it flows through the NY branch and then the local Bangkok Bank fee of 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max). Now, if your local Bangkok Bank is outside the Bangkok metropolitan region/surrounding provinces then there might be another inter region transfer fee....seems some people report such a fee.

post-55970-0-17597000-1370558415_thumb.j

BBL likes to give foreign customers the run around about needing a work permit which is not required by Bank of Thailand regulations. It is pure racism on their part. Once I asked for a new savings account book and was told they would close my account of over 10 years because I couldn't produce a work permit. Being a permanent resident I produced my alien book and residence certificate and they said they didn't care about those, they only wanted a work permit. Eventually I forced them to call head office who called off the dogs. So they decided you weren't qualified for a domestic account and opened an external account for you. What nonsense. The solution is to bank with another bank that is less into racism and never darken BBl's racist portals again.

Wasn't there some news that they were going to tighten the rules on foreigners openeing bank accounts?

Whereas basically it was decided that regular tourists do not warrant bank accounts, but only foreigners who could prove some more permanent tie with Thailand.

In Pattaya, SCB will not open an account unless you either have a work permit or a visa with 1 year extension on. Seems to be in all the branches.

Kasikorn opens an account and they don't even bother looking at your visa page/stamps, nor do they take a copy from it, only the picture page.

Mind you, seemingly they will only issue the Kasikorn SME Business ATM card to foreigners, at a hefty 800 Baht.

Wasn't there some news that they were going to tighten the rules on foreigners openeing bank accounts?

Whereas basically it was decided that regular tourists do not warrant bank accounts, but only foreigners who could prove some more permanent tie with Thailand.

In Pattaya, SCB will not open an account unless you either have a work permit or a visa with 1 year extension on. Seems to be in all the branches.

Kasikorn opens an account and they don't even bother looking at your visa page/stamps, nor do they take a copy from it, only the picture page.

Mind you, seemingly they will only issue the Kasikorn SME Business ATM card to foreigners, at a hefty 800 Baht.

Kbank opened a company account for me when I hadn't yet got a WP in the name of that company after I had been refused by BBL.

The reason for my contretemps with BBL seemed to be that the BoT had just issued some new money laundering regulations but had left the details vague for foreign customers, so banks interpreted them in their own way. The BoT said customers needed ID and tabien baan to open an account but said nothing about foreigners. I had an existing account and when challenged by BBL I produced my blue tabien, alien book (legally equivalent to ID card), residence book and passport but they said I must have a WP to keep the account open. I asked that, since I have been given life time permission to stay in the country by the Interior Minister, how am I expected to survive without a bank account. They just answered "need work permit", until I virtually exploded.

The BoT still insists on strict controls over new accounts but refuse to stipulate what is needed for foreigners. So the banks have to decide for themselves what to ask for. They now have to ask what are you going to use the account for. I told a girl at SCB I wouldn't answer that question and she just scribbled something and moved on the next question and opened the account anyway.

What is a Kbank SME ATM card? Is it just an ATM card for a company bank account?

I opened two accounts (savings and direct deposit) at Bangkok Bank in Pattaya with a one year extension. But, I never saw them look at any page in my passport except the picture page. Also, that was the only page they made a copy of.

I do a monthly direct deposit from my U.S. Govt. annuity through the NY Bangkok Bank branch. They charge me the fees as depicted in Pib's post (#13). I do, however, have to physically go to the bank and transfer the money into my savings account so that it is available for ATM transactions. That's a painless process because I hand the two bank books to the bank agent, tell her the amount, and she fills out all the paperwork. Takes maybe 5 minutes.

I opened two accounts (savings and direct deposit) at Bangkok Bank in Pattaya with a one year extension. But, I never saw them look at any page in my passport except the picture page. Also, that was the only page they made a copy of.

I do a monthly direct deposit from my U.S. Govt. annuity through the NY Bangkok Bank branch. They charge me the fees as depicted in Pib's post (#13). I do, however, have to physically go to the bank and transfer the money into my savings account so that it is available for ATM transactions. That's a painless process because I hand the two bank books to the bank agent, tell her the amount, and she fills out all the paperwork. Takes maybe 5 minutes.

We will open an account if you have a passport and a valid visa. I won't respond to some of the more childish and small minded comments here, but the fact is that this i on our website (I have posted it enough times), we have a guide for expats which spells it out. Clearly with 20,000+ employees I can't guarantee that you will get the right answer 100% of the time, but that is what we strive to achieve. Sorry if you have been given the wrong answer, I can always help if needed (and if what you are asking to do is legal). So a passport, a valid visa (no overstays) and 500 Baht.

I opened two accounts (savings and direct deposit) at Bangkok Bank in Pattaya with a one year extension.  But, I never saw them look at any page in my passport except the picture page.  Also, that was the only page they made a copy of. 

I do a monthly direct deposit from my U.S. Govt. annuity through the NY Bangkok Bank branch.  They charge me the fees as depicted in Pib's post (#13).  I do, however, have to physically go to the bank and transfer the money into my savings account so that it is available for ATM transactions.  That's a painless process because I hand the two bank books to the bank agent, tell her the amount, and she fills out all the paperwork.  Takes maybe 5 minutes.    

We will open an account if you have a passport and a valid visa. I won't respond to some of the more childish and small minded comments here, but the fact is that this i on our website (I have posted it enough times), we have a guide for expats which spells it out. Clearly with 20,000+ employees I can't guarantee that you will get the right answer 100% of the time, but that is what we strive to achieve. Sorry if you have been given the wrong answer, I can always help if needed (and if what you are asking to do is legal). So a passport, a valid visa (no overstays) and 500 Baht.
And what about internet banking for example for people on a tourist visa?

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

------------------

A Thai Bank account requires a verification from a foreigner that he/she has a "long term or long stay" visa.

It does not require a work permit to open an account.

However most banks want to see some kind of long stay visa.

I had a non immigrant O one year multi-entry visa issued in the Thai consulate in Hull in 2010 and was in the process of establishing my Thai bank account in Bangkok Bank when they opened my "retirement" bank account.

But, many banks, and many branches of the same bank, simply don't know how to or want to deal with the extra hassle of a "farang"s" bank account.

So they simply tell you that you "need work permit" to open the account.

It IS possible to open a Thai bank account, and deposit the funds required for your financial funds requirement for your retirement extension/visa on the non immigrant O visa you can get from the Thai consulate in (for example) Hull, England.

Because I did.

If the first branch of Bangkok Bank you go to doesn't want to do it, find another branch that will open your account.

I have found, here in Bangkok, that the Bangkok branch on Sukhumvit Road Soi 43 is one of the most foreigner friendly banks.

That's where I opened my account for retirement with a non immigrant O visa, and NO work permit, in October 2010. I still have my account there. I also have a Be1st ATM/debit card on that account which is usable in most if not all S.E. Asia ATMs.

And also, I transfer funds monthly via ACH from my U.S. bank monthly via the Bangkok Bank in New York, and they charge NO FEE for that transfer.

My U.S. bank, however, charges ne a $35 bank charge for each international transfer ... even if it's an ACH transfer.

It MAY be your U.S. bank that charges the fee, not Bangkok Bank.

whistling.gif

But, many banks, and many branches of the same bank, simply don't know how to or want to deal with the extra hassle of a "farang"s" bank account.

So they simply tell you that you "need work permit" to open the account.

whistling.gif

Totally agree.

hmm, well i may have made a mistake, i have attempted to "link" my online cap one 360/ ING to the BKK bank via the NYC branch, so they do like 2 test deposits to prove the link / security

maybe bkk bank is going charge me $25 for each of the 0.02 cents transfers, or so

i am not sure what amount was test deposited though, as i don't seem to be able to get that via Bualuang Phone yet .. hmm

hmm, well i may have made a mistake, i have attempted to "link" my online cap one 360/ ING to the BKK bank via the NYC branch, so they do like 2 test deposits to prove the link / security

maybe bkk bank is going charge me $25 for each of the 0.02 cents transfers, or so

i am not sure what amount was test deposited though, as i don't seem to be able to get that via Bualuang Phone yet .. hmm

No fee will be applied by any financial institution involved in the ACH link setup transfer as the transfer is coded as a "trial" deposit. A good way to get notified when the deposit posts and how much gets posted to your account is to have your account setup for SMS Remittance Alert....see this Bangkok Bank Link.

The SMS will tell you the exchange rate provided, baht amount posted to your account, and the home currency amount received....like 0.27USD which might be used in a trial deposit ranging between 1 to 99 cents. However, if you use the phone banking or ibanking it's not going to show the "home country currency amount received"; if will just show the baht amount then you will have to somewhat guess on the home country amount rec'd by looking at the baht amount posted divided by the bank's exchange rate on that day. Unfortunately, there will probably be a couple of exchange rates used throughout the day but the bank "probably" used the first exchange rate of the day...and then hope your division don't come out with an amount that is exactly halfway between two penny amounts like comes out to 27.5 cents as that means the trail deposit amount could have been 27 or 28 cents but the bank will usually round down on what it deposits to your account. If you call the bank customer service they can tell you the home country amount received...but having the SMS setup makes it so muck easier since they do tell you the home currency amount in the SMS.

And don't make the mistake I did a few months ago when I setup some new transfer links since I had opened another saving account at a Bangkok Bank branch. I logged onto 3 different U.S. bank accounts, initiated the procedure to setup transfer links...and the next day I had 6 trial deposits hitting my Bangkok Bank account at the same time...and the name in the SMS saying who is was from was the same/generic because apparently all three U.S. banks used the same middleman/agency to manage the trail deposits flow. So, here I have 6 deposits from 3 U.S. banks...with 2 deposits coming from each bank. I even went to HQ Bangkok Bank to get a printout of the transfers which had more detailed info...but it didn't show specifically which U.S. bank the trial deposits came from...just had that generic/middleman name. From looking at some other details on the printouts such as whether the sending bank used my middle initial also and some guessing I got lucky and verified the trail deposits correctly but I did get one rejection on the first try during the verification at one bank and it said something alone the lines of, "OK the amount(s) you entered is incorrect you will get one more try to enter the correct amount." I then entered two other amounts and it was accepted....that was part of my guessing processing. Yes sir, do not initiate trial deposits from more than one bank at a time....let those two trial deposit arrive before you initiate a transfer link at another bank otherwise you may end up like me in not being able to specifically/clearly identify which bank the transfer came from for these trial deposits amounts.

And I been so long since I've done a normal ACH transfer for day-to-day living money since I've been my foreign transaction fee debit cards for almost two years now I can't remember if the SMS say who the money comes from since this transfer is a little different than a trial deposit...but it still tells you how much was posted, the exchange rate, the home currency amount rec'd, etc.

And if some of those U.S. folks who do the direct deposit of the Social Security pension (not me...not quite old enough yet but getting there) and these folks say there are no fee applied for the monthly transfer from the Social Security Ageny then these folks would see "there is indeed transfer fees." The USD amount arriving will be reduced by usually $5 for the NY branch fee/slice as the money flow through them using their routing number...and when that money arrives the local Bangkok Bank the SMS even shows the 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) receiving/conversion amount deduced "before" the final amount is posted to your account. I guess since the Bangkok Bank NY fee and the local Bangkok Bank fee is "applied before" the final amount is posted to your account (i.e., fees will "not" show up on your passbook/statement) that they think the transfer was totally free....nope, not free, but still at a low cost of around $11-$12 for a typical social security pension amount under $2000/month.

Hi

Yes banks attitudes differ tremendously

Bangkok bank in Samsen road is foreigner friendly obviously as it deals with many of them, I have several accounts both business and personal there and no complaints.

Like wise Bangkok bank in Langsuan is wonderfully helpful and I am sure there not many of us there, however sadly Phra padeang just refused to open a bank account for me a few months ago and told me bluntly go to Samsen that's where they deal with foreigners. ( and yes I speak Thai so that does not seem to be the issue)

You can also have Bangkok Bank send you an SMS (again in Thailand) detailing any account activity,

AFAIK that facility is not yet available from Bangkok Bank - it is for deposits but not for ATM use where it could be vital in prevent loss from account with a skimmed card.

You can also have Bangkok Bank send you an SMS (again in Thailand) detailing any account activity,

AFAIK that facility is not yet available from Bangkok Bank - it is for deposits but not for ATM use where it could be vital in prevent loss from account with a skimmed card.

Yes you can (for any transactions over 500 Baht anyway).

Bangkok bank has a few different SMS services:

-SMS account alert. All account activity over 500 Baht. Can only apply at your branch or by Bualuang phone banking.

-SMS 2-way: recieve account balance and last 3 transaction by sending an sms to Bkk bank. Apply at ATM.

-SMS card spending: Get sms for any transaction of over 1000 Baht done with ATM or Credit card. Only POS purchase and online purchase, not ATM withdrawal. Apply at ATM.

-Foreign remittance alert: Get sms when foreign remittance comes in. Apply at ATM

monty, on 09 Jun 2013 - 16:44, said:

lopburi3, on 09 Jun 2013 - 14:17, said:

Yes you can (for any transactions over 500 Baht anyway).

Bangkok bank has a few different SMS services:

-SMS account alert. All account activity over 500 Baht. Can only apply at your branch or by Bualuang phone banking.

-SMS 2-way: recieve account balance and last 3 transaction by sending an sms to Bkk bank. Apply at ATM.

-SMS card spending: Get sms for any transaction of over 1000 Baht done with ATM or Credit card. Only POS purchase and online purchase, not ATM withdrawal. Apply at ATM.

-Foreign remittance alert: Get sms when foreign remittance comes in. Apply at ATM

Be sure to review the T&C's associated with each alert service as they can vary. For example the SMS Account Alert is "not" available for joint accounts, but the Foreign Remittance Alert does work with joint accounts as I have both joint accounts setup for it.

Edited by Pib

I tried to use that number at first with my account number--didn't work, Used my ATM number and it worked great. They give the amount in both baht and foreign currency, Not sure if they got something wrong. I have no WP but I get interest, but no online banking.

I have a joint account so if above is true it is not available - which confirms what my I-Banking says. It also appears to be new (sign up by June 30 for two free months). Cost seems to be a nominal 10 baht per month so wonder why bank does not pick it up as a feature to protect customers rather than charge anything?