How Many Expats?

HeijoshinCool

"Onshore Phuket is a welcoming place that can quickly begin to feel like home. More than 100,000 foreign residents have chosen to make a life here. Foreigners from across the globe have integrated into the local community, transforming Phuket into a multicultural, international retirement destination. Expats make up more than 21 percent of the total permanent population of Phuket Province"

This is a quote from a magazine article in another thread about retirement in Phuket.

Don't know how accurate it is.

"Onshore Phuket is a welcoming place that can quickly begin to feel like home. More than 100,000 foreign residents have chosen to make a life here. Foreigners from across the globe have integrated into the local community, transforming Phuket into a multicultural, international retirement destination. Expats make up more than 21 percent of the total permanent population of Phuket Province"

This is a quote from a magazine article in another thread about retirement in Phuket.

Don't know how accurate it is.

Yeah, I saw that. But since pretty much everything else in the article was BS, I wondered if 100k wasn't an exaggeration, too.

Anyone?

'Expats make up more than 21 percent of the total permanent population of Phuket Province' that seems like total BS to me, one in 5 people is an 'Expat', i assume by that they mean foreigner.

even in Rawai where we have a lot of expats i'd say it was more like 1 in 50, north island probably one in a couple of hundred

• Like 1

I also read 100,000 somewhere recently. When I asked at immigration once when doing my 90 day residence update, they said 70,000, but that was only people doing 90 day notifications and didn't include people that did not have to do the 90 day notification due to leaving the country every 90 days or less.

Well registered population of what? 350,000 so 35- or possibly 70,oo - 100,000 is not an unsubstantial percentage.

ANd then how many unregistered regional foreigners is what I'd like to know.

practically enslaved Burmese for one...

mmm.. Are there more foreigners on Phuket than Thais?

Does this give anyone an idea?

Edited by MacChine

I think that most of the Thais who live in Phuket are not registered here. Some earlier estimates say that there are 1 to 1.5 million people living on the island (I suppose during high season).

Edited by Guest

From Wiki:

" Phuket provincial population in preliminary count of 2010 census was counted to be 525,018 people, including some 115,881 foreigners, or 21.1% of the population. However, it is admitted this is inaccurate since The Phuket Provincial Employment Office currently records for more than 64,000 Burmese, Lao and Cambodian workers legally residing on the island.[20] Final figures are to be released later in 2011."

From Wiki:

" Phuket provincial population in preliminary count of 2010 census was counted to be 525,018 people, including some 115,881 foreigners, or 21.1% of the population. However, it is admitted this is inaccurate since The Phuket Provincial Employment Office currently records for more than 64,000 Burmese, Lao and Cambodian workers legally residing on the island.[20] Final figures are to be released later in 2011."

So 2011 came and went, plus another year and a half without any final figures being released. They also stopped publishing data about drownings, accidents and foreigner's deaths about the same year. How does any of this not surprise me... Phuket's Government is all smoke and mirrors, just an illusion...

From Wiki:

So 2011 came and went, plus another year and a half without any final figures being released. They also stopped publishing data about drownings, accidents and foreigner's deaths about the same year. How does any of this not surprise me... Phuket's Government is all smoke and mirrors, just an illusion...

Yup, looks that way. I looked around for the "Final figures", but no luck.