United Flight To Houston

I have to fly to Houston soon departing BKK at 0600. It's been a while since I made this trip so wonder if anyone can advise on airport arrival time. I just want to know what time the desks are open for business, I have been annoyed in the past when turning up 3hrs before the flight only to find the desks aren't open. Thanks.

I have taken this connector to NRT several times in the past few years. The problem is that you can hit a problem out if the blue. I 've showed up at 3:30 AM only to find the desks not open, at 4:00 Am to find a line a quick line business but a 40 minute line at immigration. (Does UA give fast track coupons for business class now? I didn't get one a year ago.)

UA says to allow 3 hours for checkin and processing. However, the minimum time for baggage acceptance is 60 minutes prior to departure.

I think 4 am is good enough outside of peak season travel. However, keep in mind that this 6 am is the 1st Star Alliance connector of the day to NRT and it has to leave on time to feed the UA SFO & LAX and AC YVR &YYZ flights. They do their utmost to get his flight out on time so they try to push off early. I've taken the TG and ANA flights at 730 and 8:15 and these flights always depart late, especially TG, so my bags never make it the connection.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll aim for 0330 ish arrival, I will be annoyed if the desks aren't open but considering the inevitable hassles I will have to face with TSA, immigration, customs etc. In the U.S. it will be a minor annoyance. Roll on retirement :D

UA check-in desks start up around 03:30 when the flight departs at 06:00. Obviously when the flight gets adjusted to the 07:10 departure (27 Oct) then they would open ~ an hour later.

UA has been giving out Premium Lane immigration cards to me (1K) whether in business or economy (sometimes still WL for an upgrade or on a non-upgradable fare) for at least the last five years ex-BKK, and they distribute these cards NRT-BKK in business and first on the plane. I rarely use these cards as the security/Immigration and Immigration lines are usually quite short when I depart/arrive. I save these for friends/colleagues, and keep some on-hand for use when required.

Departing security, if you do not use the Premium Lane service, is up one level from Departures - remember there are two departing security halls up on level 5 - then you come back down one level to clear departing Immigration. If you have Premium Lane pass, just head towards the back of the main hall, turn right and the entrance is there.

The only lounge option, assuming you are eligible, is the TG ROS lounge in concourse G, level 3, on the left-hand side. This lounge opens quite early for the UA, and possibly other *A, departures. The big TG lounge in concourse D doesn't open until 05:15.

The UA flight has been departing from gate D6 recently so not a very far walk from the TG lounge in G. There is a secondary for every pax on the level 3 entrance to the gate area so expect a bit of a queue there.

If you return to the U.S. frequently consider enrolling in the Global Entry program; this allows you to use an automated Kiosk at Immigration, and jump any potential queue at the Customs desk(s). This was easy to get, and UA reimbursed me the $100 fee (good for five years). This has been a tremendous advantage/benefit for me, allowing to me to make a few domestic connections which might not have otherwise been possible.

I have taken this connector to NRT several times in the past few years. The problem is that you can hit a problem out if the blue. I 've showed up at 3:30 AM only to find the desks not open, at 4:00 Am to find a line a quick line business but a 40 minute line at immigration. (Does UA give fast track coupons for business class now? I didn't get one a year ago.)

UA says to allow 3 hours for checkin and processing. However, the minimum time for baggage acceptance is 60 minutes prior to departure.

I think 4 am is good enough outside of peak season travel. However, keep in mind that this 6 am is the 1st Star Alliance connector of the day to NRT and it has to leave on time to feed the UA SFO & LAX and AC YVR &YYZ flights. They do their utmost to get his flight out on time so they try to push off early. I've taken the TG and ANA flights at 730 and 8:15 and these flights always depart late, especially TG, so my bags never make it the connection.

Yes, you get a fast track pass if flying business class.. Went with UA 8th of April and, from check in thru immigration in less than 10 minutes with over an hour to kill in the FC/BC lounge.

UA check-in desks start up around 03:30 when the flight departs at 06:00. Obviously when the flight gets adjusted to the 07:10 departure (27 Oct) then they would open ~ an hour later.

UA has been giving out Premium Lane immigration cards to me (1K) whether in business or economy (sometimes still WL for an upgrade or on a non-upgradable fare) for at least the last five years ex-BKK, and they distribute these cards NRT-BKK in business and first on the plane. I rarely use these cards as the security/Immigration and Immigration lines are usually quite short when I depart/arrive. I save these for friends/colleagues, and keep some on-hand for use when required.

Departing security, if you do not use the Premium Lane service, is up one level from Departures - remember there are two departing security halls up on level 5 - then you come back down one level to clear departing Immigration. If you have Premium Lane pass, just head towards the back of the main hall, turn right and the entrance is there.

The only lounge option, assuming you are eligible, is the TG ROS lounge in concourse G, level 3, on the left-hand side. This lounge opens quite early for the UA, and possibly other *A, departures. The big TG lounge in concourse D doesn't open until 05:15.

The UA flight has been departing from gate D6 recently so not a very far walk from the TG lounge in G. There is a secondary for every pax on the level 3 entrance to the gate area so expect a bit of a queue there.

If you return to the U.S. frequently consider enrolling in the Global Entry program; this allows you to use an automated Kiosk at Immigration, and jump any potential queue at the Customs desk(s). This was easy to get, and UA reimbursed me the $100 fee (good for five years). This has been a tremendous advantage/benefit for me, allowing to me to make a few domestic connections which might not have otherwise been possible.

Very good advice indeed. I hate this 6 am flight though .

You have to apply for that Global Entry Card in the US- lomatopo, how long did it take before they scheduled an interview?

As for checkin, better early and wait around a bit than late and miss your flight wink.png

Sorry, I also meant to remind you that you can check in for your flight(s) on-line up to 24 hours prior to departure. Your boarding passes are emailed to you.

Not sure if there is a designated bag-drop at BKK for those who've checked-in on-line. I used to use the EZ Check-in Kisok at BKK, but haven't used those in a while so not even sure if they are still in use?

how long did it take before they scheduled an interview?

Well you do not have to apply in the U.S., the application process can be initiated and completed on-line from anywhere in the world, I did it from here in Thailand. But yes, it does involve an in-person interview, you are also finger-printed, which has to be done in the U.S. CPB does this at most major airports - I scheduled my interview for BOS - and you schedule your own interview. They have a scheduling system which allows you to pick/choose. I had no problems scheduling but I did schedule my interview a few months ahead of time, during a scheduled trip to the U.S.

Edited by lomatopo

For me I fly Phuket to Houston monthly arrive 2 hrs before departure plenty of time, normally fly Emirates or Qatar air Depart Midnight Phuket time to Dubai or DOHA 5hr layover then 16 hr+ flight to Houston get lots of air miles,

arrive houston at about 4pm and Immigration at Houston at least 1hr to clear got over 50 windows to use but only 3 open with a snake que that really sucks....

I use the fast line as I got no baggage but still slow as and shit attitude as well the buggers...

I am very grateful for this information. I get confused easily and it has been 10 months since I used UA at the 6 am slot. I just booked a flight in August and I was somewhat stressed. Your info is the cure. I will overnight at the Novotel as I am coming in from Hua Hin the day before. The one good thing about the UA counters are that they can move fast. I always count my blessings that I'm not on one of those Ukranian or Russian charters with the 3 agents to service a few hundred pushing aggravated pax. smile.png