So what is YOUR experience with the BIB?eh shoot.....

bealus

Living in Thailand I personally had in 10 years only 3 encounters with the B.I.B.: 2 x no helmet, 1 X stopped having a blue light in front of the car(which was noteven mine).

Quite boring, I know.

So I could do for some juicy/ironic/humorous/painful/memorable/educational/etc etc personal encounters YOU had with the B.I.B. in LOS.

So grab your writer's gun, let it all out and eh shoot

Got waved to the side of the road once, and then fined for stopping where I shouldn't.

It's a game, that part I can handle, it's the time wasted on playing this game instead of performing real duties that is ultimately distasteful.

Probably doesn't come under banter and entertainment, but within the OP's specs:

One of my first GFs here had been brought from the Burmese border town Mae Sot when she was 14 by an officer who kept her locked up in the maintenance shack at the top of his condo for three months until she'd been properly "broken in" and addicted to drugs (sounded like some sort of speedball mix), and then put to work at his friend's karaoke bar.

It took her over two years to work off the debt she had to pay off - the price the bar owner had paid for her from the cop - and then she was able to start freelancing.

I expressed skepticism about her hard-luck story, so she took me to see the bar, by then had a different owner but apparently little else had changed. She was shaking the whole time afraid she's see the cop, although she didn't have any logical reason to be afraid of him, pure gut emotional reaction.

I didn't doubt her story at all after that, she never did try to get anything extra out of me for pity's sake or anything.

Edited by boosta

Some good some bad. We have been pulled over for speeding (we were not) and had to pay 200 baht "fine" (no receipt obviously). My brother in law had to pee in a bottle at a check point (he is very thin, high strung, but does not drink or use drugs), and they let us move through.

Our home was burgled two new years eve ago. After reporting it to the police the whole story deteriorated and we found out the investigating officer was dealing drugs to the primary suspect and even advised him to sue us for defamation. The policeman said we had grassed him up to the police, the defamation!!!! The whole sorry story is in one of the topics I started.

Most of the police here are either corrupt vermin or totally useless. The good ones are a tiny minority.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Probably doesn't come under banter and entertainment, but within the OP's specs:

One of my first GFs here had been brought from the Burmese border town Mae Sot when she was 14 by an officer who kept her locked up in the maintenance shack at the top of his condo for three months until she'd been properly "broken in" and addicted to drugs (sounded like some sort of speedball mix), and then put to work at his friend's karaoke bar.

It took her over two years to work off the debt she had to pay off - the price the bar owner had paid for her from the cop - and then she was able to start freelancing.

I expressed skepticism about her hard-luck story, so she took me to see the bar, by then had a different owner but apparently little else had changed. She was shaking the whole time afraid she's see the cop, although she didn't have any logical reason to be afraid of him, pure gut emotional reaction.

I didn't doubt her story at all after that, she never did try to get anything extra out of me for pity's sake or anything

Probably doesn't come under banter and entertainment, but within the OP's specs:+1smile.png

Sorry to disappoint but I never had any problems with the guys. Once was stopped for no reason, - just collection of tea money (200 Bt). Paid. Got 'Thanks'. That is all. I like them better than cops in my country.

These guys here 'Live and Let Live'. No complaints.smile.png

• Like 1

I'll tell you, after growing up in the US with the Gestapo-like police, which have gotten worse and worse and worse, especially after 9/11, the BIB are a welcome relief. I've heard the stories about them. But I have never felt like if I argued with one of them I would be knocked to the ground and tazed, which is exactly what would happen in the US today. Yes. I have been asked for money. If is was in violation of the law and knew it, I paid a little. If I was not in violation, I refused to pay and went on my way. In all instances, I was treated with respect and dignity. The US police treat EVERYBODY like they are criminals. There is simply no comparison.

You can talk all day about corruption, but nothing is as costly to a human as being blatantly robbed of their respect and dignity. This is is a specialty of the oppressive police of the US. I have NEVER experienced that here. Have any of you?

Edit: I hasten to add, I do not have a criminal record in the US. The experiences described above occurred in minor traffic stops, stopping on the sidewalk to look at somebody else stopped (told to "Move on; you're obstructing justice!"), and once when I was jogging past the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia at 7:00 a.m. and was screamed at by black uniformed federal agents to "Cross the street now, now! Cross the street NOW!" I didn't understand at first what they wanted. I was wearing only skimpy jogging shorts and a thin tank top. It looked like they were preparing to tackle me when I finally understood I needed to cross the street to the side opposite from the Liberty Bell. I guess I was perceived as some kind of a threat to the Liberty Bell. Ironic, huh?

As a comparison: was stopped by LA patrol cops for " j-walking" about 50 m from controlled intersection with zebra pedestrian crossing. Very harsh and rude people! Told them I am Australian. Let me go and warned not to do this again. In 10 min after I bought cigs I did walk back the same way! The guys were sitting in same car, sure as hell have seen me, but never bothered.laugh.png

Why did I do this? - Simple... I'm an Ozzie and to and fro it saved me a 100 m walking!

Edited by ABCer

Two or three tickets, all well deserved, small fines really. Had them come round my house in Phuket after we were burgled and their inspection made me laugh, they looked at the window the perp had entered by and the officer said, no prints, professionls! If any gripes at all it would be in the area of competence, nothing more.

Two or three tickets, all well deserved, small fines really. Had them come round my house in Phuket after we were burgled and their inspection made me laugh, they looked at the window the perp had entered by and the officer said, no prints, professionls! If any gripes at all it would be in the area of competence, nothing more.

Christ, in the US, the cops won't even come to your house anymore for a felony burglary (unless the perp is still on the grounds). They take the report over the phone, then mail it to your for insurance purposes. At least the BIB's showed up!

The last time I was in the US, I was riding through a barren Nevada desert with a friend driving (any of you know what I'm talking about? I mean out in the middle of NOWHERE). I had to take a leak and asked him to pull over. I took care of my business standing behind the truck out of view of the road while giving the clouds the usual 1,000 yard stare. A cop came skidding in demanding to know, "Why did you piss?" Well, normally, I can hold my own with these <deleted>, but this was Nevada and I had a plane to catch in Portland, Oregon the next day. I'll admit, I was a little frightened and didn't open my mouth. I figured if I said one cross thing, I'd be off for jail and it was a Friday afternoon. Finally I explained I was just back in the country after two years in the Peace Corps in Thailand (which was probably the wrong thing to say to this rednecked prick). Then he screamed (literally), spewing little pieces of Copenhagen on me, "Well THIS is AMERICA and we don't PISS on the ROAD in AMERICA." Long story short, if it is not too late for that, I got a ticket that cost me $140. And maybe I do have a criminal record now, because my offense, "public urination" was a criminal misdemeanor that is unlike a regular traffic ticket, which is classified as a "civil violation."

The last time I was in the US, I was riding through a barren Nevada desert with a friend driving (any of you know what I'm talking about? I mean out in the middle of NOWHERE). I had to take a leak and asked him to pull over. I took care of my business standing behind the truck out of view of the road while giving the clouds the usual 1,000 yard stare. A cop came skidding in demanding to know, "Why did you piss?" Well, normally, I can hold my own with these <deleted>, but this was Nevada and I had a plane to catch in Portland, Oregon the next day. I'll admit, I was a little frightened and didn't open my mouth. I figured if I said one cross thing, I'd be off for jail and it was a Friday afternoon. Finally I explained I was just back in the country after two years in the Peace Corps in Thailand (which was probably the wrong thing to say to this rednecked prick). Then he screamed (literally), spewing little pieces of Copenhagen on me, "Well THIS is AMERICA and we don't PISS on the ROAD in AMERICA." Long story short, if it is not too late for that, I got a ticket that cost me $140. And maybe I do have a criminal record now, because my offense, "public urination" was a criminal misdemeanor that is unlike a regular traffic ticket, which is classified as a "civil violation."

I am mildly disappointed by your story. Big deal! Pissing on a Nevada desert with a cop watching you... I was expecting nothing less than an A-bomb dropping next to you or little greenies from a UFO rushing to take a sample...

Here is a story to compensate the readers. A cop is bringing an offender to the station: "Book this s-o-b; he was pissing in a side street when I came up and told him to stop; he than turned to me and continued... I again demanded that he stopped... but he only complied when exhausted... look at my uniform!"... laugh.png

Edited by ABCer

I am chastened. THAT is a much better story, indeed. The fellow must have had a large set of balls.

Ticketmaster, it was a joke. You are allowed to laugh not look at his balls.

Here is another one:

Three guys are drinking in a pub in the outback. One is walking out for a leak. When he comes back the other two look at his pants and ask

- is it raining outside?

- no, says he, just windy...

You can call it 'pissed drunk' or ... 'don't piss against the wind'...

Edited by ABCer

A while back, someone sent me a video clip (you know, those ones your friends send around with e-mail). It was a video shot from a police cruiser. The cops had this obviously drunk guy walking the line. The guy could see he was screwed, so he fumbled with his zipper and suddenly turned toward the cop and started pissing on his leg. All the cops watching suddenly rushed him and took him down whacking him with clubs. Now it could have been a faked video, but the stationary video cam and the grainy look sure gave it a look of authenticity. And further, I could certainly relate. "I'm screwed anyway, I'm gonna do this." It was one of the funniest video clips I have ever scene, even though police brutality is not funny. But if you piss on a cops leg, you know you're gonna get a beating. I think if I was going down anyway it might be worth it.

So, with that video in mind, I your joke plausibly true. I am guessing it has happened. I like your latest joke, and am sure I will be retelling it. Thanks.

Drunk driving, spent 5 minutes in a cell then was let out coz I have puppy eyes.

Next day it was courtroom and a 6000฿ fine... thank you come again.

Another incident was settled in a very civil manner without legal proceedings or official record. Again no bribes.

All very sensible and good in my opinion.

And then another time I was on a motorbike and had was stopped wearing no helmet. However, because I was late to for a movie screening, evident by my tickets, he waved me off hurridly and with a smile.

Couldn't fault the BIB laugh.png

• Like 1

i've been shaken down a few times roadside for tea money and have twice been invovled in road accidents that were 100% the fault of the other thai driver and i have been been blamed following blatantly biased police assessments of what happened. the first of these cost me a small sum the second cost me the entire value of the bike i was riding at the time which was totalled.

everything i read and hear about them makes me cringe. in a country of many embarrassing official bodies they stand out as the most inept, unprofessional, corrupt and debased of the lot and that takes some doing.

therefor i think the thai police are a <deleted>*k*ng disgrace. they're cu*ts.

Edited by GooEng

Drunk driving, spent 5 minutes in a cell then was let out coz I have puppy eyes.

Another incident was settled in a very civil manner without legal proceedings or official record. Again no bribes.

And then another time I was on a motorbike and had was stopped wearing no helmet. However, because I was late to for a movie screening, evident by my tickets, he waved me off hurridly and with a smile.

Couldn't fault the BIB Posted Image

interesting COZ. did you go to literary school as well as culinary school. multiple alcohol related driving incidences can't keep writing must dash to a private screening then I'll whip up a truffle omlettes for my Michelin guide friends

Couldn't fault the BIB laugh.png

interesting COZ. did you go to literary school as well as culinary school. multiple alcohol related driving incidences can't keep writing must dash to a private screening then I'll whip up a truffle omlettes for my Michelin guide friends

Another day with no customers in the restaurant? It must be because of the great attitude of the owner (along with his "perfect" food) and the shrewd restauranteur that he is...

I suggest you close your doors now, seeing that you are bleeding your life savings and taking it out here on a public forum. Mr No Gender No Face No Name No Age.

Edited by justben

At checkpoints in issan, once they see I'm farang, they wave me through. Same when stopped for speeding. My guess is they don't want to deal with the language barrier.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

twice I've been stopped driving the car,,,, once was a couple of years back for speeding and staying in the outside lane, they wanted my license for that one, but I managed to get off with a "fine" a little bit hefty in my opinion, the second time only this year was stopped on the drive back from Laos after getting a new visa,,, I guess they couldn't pin anything on me, he said we were speeding,, I say nooooo not me? so they have a walk around the car and get round to the wife's passenger window and ask the wife why we have the carryboy locked in the elevated position when not carrying anything in the back of our Vigo?? a new one on me, but wife paid the 200 baht and on we went on our way, I guess thankfully there weren't any speed cams before we were stopped on that occasion,,,, never have any probs at any of the motorcycle checks, always they wave me through with a smile and a wave

Had beer and food bought by 3 Thai policemen, albeit Tourist Police, who wanted to talk English with someone from ... England.

Had a laugh when driving a 4 wheeler 8 metre truck here. The police pulled me over. They spoke no English at all. I showed them my International licence and eventually they let me go on my way with no fine :)

No, my licence here did not qualify me to drive the truck :)

G/F at the time had no seatbelt on. Pulled on the BKK tollway. The BiB wanted to fine her. Quick as a flash she said she was on meds for a bad stomach. Flashed some pills at the BiB and they waved us on. No, she did not have a bad stomach, nor pills for it.

Another lady who was so surprised the BiB did not charge her financially for making a report of a lost bag. On previous occasions they wanted payment to fill in the paperwork for similar reports. She put it down to taking me with her as a witness.

Got stopped on my motorbike, handed my international licence and the cop told me it was counterfeit, he then showed me some book with all the laws in it and said to read one of the paragraphs that he pointed at. It said that I had submitted fake/counterfeit documents to the Royal Thai Police and this can be punished by up to 10 years in jail and some crazy amount fine, cant remember how much now, maybe 200,000k or so. He had a handful of driving licences in his hand and he showed me some of them and said that these are all counterfeit and he has arrested all these people today. He said he was taking me to Soi 9 and then I would be deported. He said he was going to arrest me and take me to Soi 9 station but first he wanted my passport as I only carry a photo copy of it. He said we are to go to my house and get my passport then we are going to Soi 9. Problem was my passport was away getting a work visa for Ethiopia so I couldn't show him it. I refused to take him and his now 3 cronies to my house so he proceeded to arrest me and tried to take me to the station. I refused to go and tried to get on my bike and go but they were having none of it. I told my wife to ask him how much he wanted to go away and he came up with a huge amount. I managed to get the price down and go on my merry way.

I now have a Thai driving licence.

Was sat at the lights at South Pattaya on my motorbike with a friend, and he decided to blow his horn continuously for some strange reason. The BIB came over and took my licence off me and sent me to Soi 9 and had to pay a 700 baht fine. My friend however had to pay 600 <deleted>? I didn't do anything wrong but was fined for being with someone that done something wrong <deleted>?

Got stopped on my motorbike, handed my international licence and the cop told me it was counterfeit, he then showed me some book with all the laws in it and said to read one of the paragraphs that he pointed at. It said that I had submitted fake/counterfeit documents to the Royal Thai Police and this can be punished by up to 10 years in jail and some crazy amount fine, cant remember how much now, maybe 200,000k or so. He had a handful of driving licences in his hand and he showed me some of them and said that these are all counterfeit and he has arrested all these people today. He said he was taking me to Soi 9 and then I would be deported. He said he was going to arrest me and take me to Soi 9 station but first he wanted my passport as I only carry a photo copy of it. He said we are to go to my house and get my passport then we are going to Soi 9. Problem was my passport was away getting a work visa for Ethiopia so I couldn't show him it. I refused to take him and his now 3 cronies to my house so he proceeded to arrest me and tried to take me to the station. I refused to go and tried to get on my bike and go but they were having none of it. I told my wife to ask him how much he wanted to go away and he came up with a huge amount. I managed to get the price down and go on my merry way.

Was it counterfeit?

Was it counterfeit?

No it was a genuine one. I showed him the credit card size part but he demanded that it had to be a grey book type to be legal. The grey book was at home but I didn't want this lot anywhere near my house.