Nearly 49,000 infected with dengue in Thailand, 59 dead

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A story about papaya leaves juice as a cure against Dengue Fever has been shared for some time at the Internet.

Some of the shared and often amazing cures do not last a further investigation and shows to be a hoax, for example the story about onions and flu.

However, juice extracted from papaya leaves has shown remarkable scientific results against Dengue Fever.

Here is an example, an article “Why pawpaw leaves juice cures dengue fever” from the Natural Health section in Nigerian Tribute.

Google Scolar shows about 35 scientific studies from 2012 to 2013:

The newest is from 2013:

Carica papaya Leaves Juice Significantly Accelerates the Rate of Increase in Platelet Count among Patients with Dengue Fever and Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever

And then there is this research 2012 artcle (Received July 06, 2012; Accepted August 10, 2012; Published August 16, 2012):

Leaf Juice of Carica papaya L.: A Remedy of Dengue Fever

»The observations made during the study were quite interesting. Papaya leaf juice was effective in curing the dengue fever... ...The dengue patients had reiterated that there was a significant improvement in their health within 24 hrs of taking papaya leaf juice.«

Just wished to mention it in this tread, as Dengue Fever seems to worry all of us living in LoS, and even the two milder variants are not at all pleasant to catch. There are in all four Dengue Fever variants, of which two may be fatal in rare cases. There are no synthesized medicines available, so any natural remedies are of interest – just like Qinghao (Sweet Annie) cured Malaria, which ended up as “Artemisinin”.

Wonder if the Thai health authorities knows about papaya leaves juice?
  • Like 1

Those of you out there that have good local government officials A-B-T's, Puyaiban and so on that will take themoney given by the public health department and spray are lucky. Where I am they keep the money to buy better cars for themselves and some more white whisky, beer and what not.

Be thankful for what you got.

Not so sure about diesel fuel on the surface preventing the eggs to float but I use kero or diesel occasionally and when the rainwater tank overflows, its gone.

Far safer than the Estrogen mimmiking pesticides, for still water application that is.

Have you watched lavae try to surface for air when theres diesel or kero micro film just been added to the surface?

They stop wriggling and die.

Latest ABC News. A far north Queensland trial aimed at tackling the spread of dengue fever will be extended next month.

Researchers have been working in Cairns, releasing mosquitoes infected with the wolbachia bacteria, which blocks dengue transmission.

Little fish are your friends. I keep several large tubs of water around the house with little fish in them. The mosquitoes lay their eggs and the little fish eat the hatch. It is a natural trap.

Keep the aircon water draining. Too often I see condos with puddles from aircon drains. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

Clean the trash. A plastic bag in the bush is just as good of a breeding site as a pot of water. Pick it up.

• Like 2

It would be nice to know the particular areas where the infection be incurred. As usual, this is not included in any report.

Dengue is a NATIONAL problem. Just because your province or moobahn doesn't get a mention. it doesn't mean the risk is any lower.

The dengue carrying mosquito is active mostly in daylight. Buy some of those tennis racquet shaped zappers and keep them handy.

All mosquito's need still water to breed. The can't breed in flowing water (rice paddies) or sewage (septic tanks). They can breed in stagnant water but that's not an exclusive. The key word is 'still' water.

Keeping screen doors closed and checking that they are sealing properly especially on sliding windows. Check for holes in the sceens as well.

I caught dengue about 2 years ago and never want that again. All I can say that where I live, the mossie population is visibly much higher than last year; I reckon that is something that the Health Ministry should take a look at. If the conventional precautions suddenly aren't working due to the overwhelming numbers of mossies, then they need to find out why.

It is very difficult to get rid of this problem in tropical countries. Even Singapore has a bad dengue problem with their super cleanliness and money to eradicate the problem. Once the rain comes with scattered showers its a problem. You cannot just spray everywhere as the fumes are poisonous even to humans.

Once there is an outbreak, they move in to spray that area. Unfortunately that is the only solution. Many plants collet water for survival and that is where they breed. In cities, the water gutters are the biggest culprit. Water, the size if a 10 baht coin can breed dengue mosquitoes.

It doesn't take but a few minutes to read up on this in order to prevent it from happening to you, and/or realizing that the area you live in and the inhabitants therein is reason enough to think about moving.

Anything else is not much worth bothering about.

It is common knowledge, even in Third World countries, that mosquitoes will only spawn in still clear, clean water.

49,000 infected and only now the Public Health Minister issues this statement?

It appears that not only justice and police move slowly in Thailand..

Where did you get these facts from? It is not "common knowledge" that the breed in clear water (mosquitos do not "spawn").

Also they have NOT "just released" this statement. Y ou just need to read the news more.

There has still not been any speaker warnings on SSCC Pattaya yet about them coming around to spray but I imagine this will happen any day now (I hope).

Has anyone in other areas experienced them driving around spraying yet?

This is truely something to be concerned about AGAIN.

how many cases are there in Pattaya ?

And what about the thousands that die because of lack of heath care funding,

Considering the disease is incurable ... and if you are in a demographic prone to dying from it ...you possibly will. Health care or not. Palliative treatment is all that's available. And that won't stop you from dying ... if you are prone to it. Your statement makes no sense.

You are plucking a QUESTION that I put, I was replying to a poster on the issue AND the rest of my post that was pretty much in order.

If you answer why not answer to the post in general-and get the feel of what I was meaning instead of -sifting off bits to gain brownie points. suppose this post makes no sense to you,

The main thing in question is funding, and advice re-plumbing-subsidize all rural toilets at houses. Just spraying now and again is like pis#ing against head wind.

Please read my other posts, to get my general idea on the subject.

It is common knowledge, even in Third World countries, that mosquitoes will only spawn in still clear, clean water.

Where did you get these facts from? It is not "common knowledge" that the breed in clear water (mosquitos do not "spawn").

Also they have NOT "just released" this statement. Y ou just need to read the news more.

There has still not been any speaker warnings on SSCC Pattaya yet about them coming around to spray but I imagine this will happen any day now (I hope).

As I said last week, they've been fogging in the Maejo area north of Chiang Mai.

It SHOULD be common knowledge that the dengue mosquito breeds in any water available. Rubbish, old tyres, pot plants with standing water, are all prime places.

A few advertisements put on TV during any 'soapie' would be seen by most of the population on no time at all.

Mosquitoes only breed in stagnant water

The malarial mosquito breeds in stagnant water. The dengue variety needs clean drinking standard water.

can we have some numbers by province?

if nothings is from bangkok, than why start a panic ?

I caught dengue in Bangkok this month two years ago.

Why is it so hard to comprehend that this is a NATIONAL problem?

Mozzies fly 200 to 500 metres on the wind. This needs a nationwide eradication plan, not just local fogging.

Of course if they did it, it would really cost money and people just sitting in vacant lots would have to pay to clean them up....

"The malarial mosquito breeds in stagnant water. The dengue variety needs clean drinking standard water." Have to get rid of those bottled water machines! No other clean drinking water around that I know of.... haha.

When I worked in New Guinea the consensus was that "fogging" was pretty ineffective. As a previous poster noted it may kill the ones around now but it 2 days (or whatever) time the new breed is around. Surface spraying as for cockroaches was perceived as a more efficient means of control. Mosquito's "hide under buildings, leaves etc. By surface spraying it will last for 3 months, but is broken down by UV light. They have to land somewhere eventually I guess. Diesel sprayed on the top of water tanks is also a reasonable solution, the diesel floats on the top of the water in the tank so taking the water from the bottom of the tank it will not harm you, I don't know which is the lesser of all the evils but fogging doesn't appeal to me, you are more likely to breath it than come in contact with a surface spray. I am pretty sure (if my memory serves me correctly) that mosquitoes are attracted to white or light coloured surfaces.

Hope this is of some help.....

59 deaths are plenty of casualties to make a proactive public health care system get into action sooner.

It may not be within your grasp what I stated earlier, but the following will certainly will make think more about it.

8 years living and working in Cuba. A member of the CDC team that helped eradicate Aedes Aegypti there.

6 years in Brazil doing similar work. That is where I get these facts.

I could give you more information than you care to know (or can understand) on the subject but this is not the proper venue to do it.

My life has not been confined to the cesspools of Pattaya, I assure you. I do not mean the last statement metaphorically.

such a big claim saying Aedes aegypti has been eradicated in Cuba. someone here has already pointed out how inaccurate your info is. care to share your evidence? while you may assume, Gone is not interested or unable to comprehend any info you have to share go ahead please. some of us here are interested and perhaps intelligent enough to understand. this forum may actually be a good venue seeing a lot of nonsense and wrong information people share here, by all means...

i've seen 3 or 4 posts here claiming that ALL mosquitoes breed in clean and standing (stagnant) water. i have to say that is COMPLETELY wrong! mosquitoes breed in varied conditions and locations. Aedes, Anopheles, and Culex species are among the medically important ones. Aedes spp that transmit dengue (and other diseases) breed in clean stagnant water. Anopheles species that transmit malaria are more varied. Anopheles in Africa breed in muddy waters, Anopheles found in South Asia breed in clean stagnant water (hence, urban malaria), Anopheles in the Mekong region breed in slow-moving (NOT STAGNANT) fresh water, while Anopheles in Indonesia breed in brackish (mixed salt and fresh water). Culex mosquitoes, on the other hand, lay eggs in dirty water.

Just a couple of requests for practical advice here:

We have window screens throughout our home, but somehow the mozzies still seem to get inside, at least a few, and once inside, they're sometimes hard to track down with the electric mozzie bat. And if there's any in the house, they surely find me for a snack. So....

1. Any suggestions on using the chemical mozzie sprays from the store inside your home? I'm a bit hesitant about it in terms of that stuff getting into food, clothes, dishes, etc. in the home -- or the alternative of having to wash all that stuff every time we spray.

2. Sometimes, in our bathroom, we have some very little standing water in the shelf where we keep our shampos and soaps, etc. And invariably, I sometimes find a few dead flying bugs, mozzies or other, in that water. Which got me wondering, do they try to drink or do otherwise in the water, and then the soap or other chemicals kills them? If so, what about leaving out in the house a bowl of water mixed with bleach or something like that??? Would it help, and would it attract and kill any ones remaining inside?

1. We use ARS odourless mosquito spray that we got from Makro, we only use it sparingly, spray the bedrooms about an hour before we go to bed if we find that a mozzie or two has followed us in through the front door snd is elusive.

2. It is probably best to tip any standing water out that is in or outdoors. Where the water cannot be tipped out, such as the flush basin for the toilet, I got some Sonic 1 SG to kill any wrigglers.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am pretty sure (if my memory serves me correctly) that mosquitoes are attracted to white or light coloured surfaces.

I'm afraid that the opposite is true...mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors, especially blue...here are the top 10 ways to attract mosquitoes...w00t.gif

http://insects.about.com/od/flies/a/how-to-get-mosquito-bites.htm

• Like 1

I am pretty sure (if my memory serves me correctly) that mosquitoes are attracted to white or light coloured surfaces.

I'm afraid that the opposite is true...mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors, especially blue...here are the top 10 ways to attract mosquitoes...w00t.gif

http://insects.about.com/od/flies/a/how-to-get-mosquito-bites.htm

WOW, interesting thread, thanks for that.......absolutely brilliant!!

how many cases are there in Pattaya ?

Does one confirmed fatality at a Pattaya orphanage indicate sufficient risk to get some Pattaya residents more concerned?