How do you live with permanent depression (obesity)

armedian

Losing weight is of course harder as staying on target but again everyone can do it mostly people don't think its worth the effort. It is hard to lose weight but not impossible and the attitude displayed here shames all of us that do exercise and mind their food. People now want a free ride.. 50 years back people were not obese why.. they were more physical active and ate less.. Genes don't change in 50 year so the genetic crap is BS.

The problem is that there is loads of caloric dense delicious food available at a good price everywhere we go. Sizes of ice-cream and drinks have increased and so has our food intake. People are less physical active then before.

I grant you that some people with mental problems and others that have their body-type against them (like me but i succeeded) will have a harder time as others. But the attitude displayed that it is impossible is just crazy. Just don't expect fast and easy results.

What he says.

Eat less, exercise more.

Faddy diets are a waste of your time (and money).

it cost me approx. £20 to use that site for 3 months and I lost 15kgs, felt like superman and rediscovered a passion for cycling. Thats the price of 6 beers in a bar. Not even half a night out. I would call that money well spent....

and as you can see from my avatar, I actually became quite a looker as well....

Edited by kristophon
  • Like 1

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing weight is of course harder as staying on target but again everyone can do it mostly people don't think its worth the effort. It is hard to lose weight but not impossible and the attitude displayed here shames all of us that do exercise and mind their food. People now want a free ride.. 50 years back people were not obese why.. they were more physical active and ate less.. Genes don't change in 50 year so the genetic crap is BS.

The problem is that there is loads of caloric dense delicious food available at a good price everywhere we go. Sizes of ice-cream and drinks have increased and so has our food intake. People are less physical active then before.

I grant you that some people with mental problems and others that have their body-type against them (like me but i succeeded) will have a harder time as others. But the attitude displayed that it is impossible is just crazy. Just don't expect fast and easy results.

What he says.

Eat less, exercise more.

Faddy diets are a waste of your time (and money).

it cost me approx. £20 to use that site for 3 months and I lost 15kgs, felt like superman and rediscovered a passion for cycling. Thats the price of 6 beers in a bar. Not even half a night out. I would call that money well spent....

and as you can see from my avatar, I actually became quite a looker as well....

If it is about calorie counting then it is not needed for everyone. I have resorted to it and learned a lot about foods that way. For me it was needed, not as much anymore as I have learned enough to make good guesses about foods. But for some people its good, its a bit of a bore weighing food but if you work at home or are retired its not that hard to do.

@ ROB

You've made some good contributions to the thread.

What do you think about walking?

I got up today at about 6H30 and took a 10km walk. Took me about 2 hours.

My weight (at 187cm) is now about 91.5kg. Need to get that down to around 82-85kg.

Apparantly the chlorogenic acid can be extracted by boiling the unroasted coffee bean, so there is no need to pay a lot of money. It must be easy to get coffee beans in Thailand. Seems the Chlorogenic acid slows down the release of sugars into the blood stream without any side effects.

Apparantly the chlorogenic acid can be extracted by boiling the unroasted coffee bean, so there is no need to pay a lot of money. It must be easy to get coffee beans in Thailand. Seems the Chlorogenic acid slows down the release of sugars into the blood stream without any side effects.

Interesting. If you have a link for the technique, please share it. I've never seen unroasted coffee beans sold to the public but I guess it might be possible to find a source. Normally they would go to roasters. I also imagine with a do it yourself method coming up with a consistent dose would be hit and miss.

Edited by Jingthing

A bunch of fat guys trying everything apart from exercising more or/and eating less.

Amazing the lengths people will go to in an attempt at denial.

Too be honest, I have tried many things to as an addition to exercise and eating less. Some things do seem to help a bit but there are no miracle cures. The things that really work usually have big side effects. Nothing wrong with maximizing the amount you can loose. Same as on the bodybuilder sites where people discuss protein powders and other stuff. Actually, i think like minded people fat or not will always try to discuss ways to reach their goal easier or cheaper or faster whatever goal that might be.

Anyway the best thing to do is exercise and eating less as research is out there that that really helps keep the weight off. The strategy that is known to work is this, make life-style changes to what you eat and drink and exercise (something you like else you can't keep doing it). It pretty much confirms what I have said because people never used to be fat, they exercised (moved walked ect) more and ate less (just look at caloric consumption over the years). Also the newest food and all its sugars isnt the best.

Big problem is just the availability of caloric dense nice tasting food everywhere. Portions have increased bad food has increased. When I was young im only 39 now but as an example. We ate the food our parents packed for us in the afternoon. Rarely did we have money for bad foods (also not available) the worst we did was buy some sweets on a Friday market. Nowadays children don't get wholewheat bread with some meat or other healthy stuff they buy all kinds of bad crap because they get money and its available.

• Like 1

i diet periodically and exercise all the time so that i CAN drink beer AND eat pizza when I want to....

I can eat a pizza when I want too, but when I want to is multiple times a week I know I am going downhill. I eat more as 80% good then you can go for bad food 20% just watch the impact. I have stopped alcohol 100% as it really does not agree with my training but I guess I am at a different level and have different goals as you. Now I am already considered lean (not the case 1 1/2 year ago)

yes, each to his own... i prefer cycling... not really into weights gym... the only 2 times I ever got piles was during a 6 month stint I did at a local gym doing weights... too much thrutching I think....

Yes to each his own.. i am from the Netherlands but am not much a fan of cycling here. Actually back home id like weights too. But that is it doing something you like to keep in shape. I even prefer my rowing machine over cycling. Its all about finding something you like doing (or at least not hate) and keep on going.

For me weights is good stress relief / relaxation (not during the workout of course but after)

But I can tell you this exercise is the easy part.. watching your diet is the hard part (if you want to be real lean)

The goal of being "real lean" is a cosmetic desire and for some an unhealthy obsession. It is not needed for health.

he said 'each to his own'... what your problem?

I don't have a problem.

But I feel I have a right to voice my opinion that body perfection obsession for both men and women can be quite psychologically damaging to a lot of people.

Too many people are seeking ridiculous body image goals and that in my view is a serious social ill.

I think some people incorrectly get the impression you have to be a gym rat to have a healthy body weight, and BTW, being mildly overweight is not actually unhealthy, in some ways such people are statistically HEALTHIER than "ideal" weight people and definitely healthier than overly thin people. Even among the obese there is a huge health risk difference between mild obesity and morbid obesity, which is sadly quite aptly named.

For example, it is known scientifically that the mildly overweight have higher SURVIVAL RATES after heart related events like heart attack and strokes than normal weight people.

On a related matter, another poster here suggested that most "everyone" was obese. That is definitely specious. The USA the fattest country in the world has 1/3 obese, 1/3 overweight, and 1/3 normal or underweight. Yes, that's very bad but that's the fattest country in the world and a large chunk of the 1/3 just overweight don't actually have significant health risks from their overweight status.

Edited by Jingthing

The goal of being "real lean" is a cosmetic desire and for some an unhealthy obsession. It is not needed for health.

I don't have a problem.

But I feel I have a right to voice my opinion that body perfection obsession for both men and women can be quite psychologically damaging to a lot of people.

I think some people incorrectly get the impression you have to be a gym rat to have a healthy body weight, and BTW, being mildly overweight is not actually unhealthy, in some ways such people are statistically HEALTHIER than "ideal" weight people and definitely healthier than overly thin people.

smacks of envy does that....

On a related matter, another poster here suggested that most "everyone" was obese. That is definitely specious. The USA the fattest country in the world has 1/3 obese, 1/3 overweight, and 1/3 normal or underweight. Yes, that's very bad but that's the fattest country in the world and a large chunk of the 1/3 just overweight don't actually have significant health risks from their overweight status.

I don't believe only 33% of Americans are 20% overweight.

More like 60%.

More like 60%.

Obesity in the USA is measured by BMI. Believe what you want, there is a lot of press supporting the 1/3 obese thing.

Here you go. 1/3 of course is a rough estimate. Again, believe what you want; there is actually a wide consensus similar to this:

http://www.foodproductdesign.com/news/2013/01/gallup-poll-says-26-of-americans-are-obese.aspx

WASHINGTON—Results of a new Gallup Poll reveals that while U.S. obesity rates remained stable in 2012, 26.2% of Americans are obese, 36% are considered overweight and nearly 4% are classified as morbidly obese.
Edited by Jingthing

More like 60%.

Obesity in the USA is measured by BMI. Believe what you want, there is a lot of press supporting the 1/3 obese thing.

Here you go. 1/3 of course is a rough estimate. Again, believe what you want; there is actually a wide consensus similar to this:

http://www.foodproductdesign.com/news/2013/01/gallup-poll-says-26-of-americans-are-obese.aspx

BMI is totally fake, and not the original definition of obese.

They keep changing the rules to make the numbers look better.

60% more than 20% overweight = 60% obese.

BMI is totally fake, and not the original definition of obese.

They keep changing the rules to make the numbers look better.

60% more than 20% overweight = 60% obese.

You're an outlier then. Again, believe what you want. I don't agree.

It matters from a public health policy and economic point of view, sure, how widespread the obesity problem is.

However, on the PERSONAL level, if you are obese, you are 100 percent obese yourself.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't have a problem.

Too many people are seeking ridiculous body image goals and that in my view is a serious social ill.

I think some people incorrectly get the impression you have to be a gym rat to have a healthy body weight, and BTW, being mildly overweight is not actually unhealthy, in some ways such people are statistically HEALTHIER than "ideal" weight people and definitely healthier than overly thin people. Even among the obese there is a huge health risk difference between mild obesity and morbid obesity, which is sadly quite aptly named.

For example, it is known scientifically that the mildly overweight have higher SURVIVAL RATES after heart related events like heart attack and strokes than normal weight people.

JT you have a serious problem with yourself and you want the world to change to fit your weight so you can do what you want. In reality gym rats are much healthier as obese and even fat people. Reason being they exercise and that brings so many health benefits. You are constantly looking for reasons why being fat is good.. it is not.

• Like 1

JT you have a serious problem with yourself and you want the world to change to fit your weight so you can do what you want. In reality gym rats are much healthier as obese and even fat people. Reason being they exercise and that brings so many health benefits. You are constantly looking for reasons why being fat is good.. it is not.

I consider that a pop psychological personal attack that has nothing to do with me, and more about you and your justification for your personal choice of exercise obsession. I have said many times exercise is beneficial and I do it myself, in moderation. I am not saying fat is good though of course it is VERY GOOD in some survival situations. I am saying not everyone is going to be Men's Fitness model ideal (more like a TINY percentage of people will) nor should everyone prioritize an unrealistic "perfect" body image as a top priority in their life. I think PUSHING unrealistic body image ideals (often related to mass media) is socially damaging and I make no excuses for vehemently opposing such media brainwashing. If you choose this lean body image obsession, one by the way I DO NOT SHARE for myself or find attractive in other men, that is your choice. What is the point of PUSHING it as the goal for ALL? Does it make you feel like you need constant payback for all the hours and hard work you put in to push your lean agenda on others? What I get from you is that you think someone who decides OK, I am OK being a bit chubby, not obese and not fat enough to have health risk from it, that they should feel for the rest of their lives they are not GOOD ENOUGH, some kind of failure, that if they were a moral person they would dedicate their lives to looking like a Men's Fitness model and they need to constantly blame themselves for being weaklings that they just don't CARE to do that. I am saying many of those chubby dudes are JUST AS GOOD as you, JUST AS HEALTHY as you if not healthier, and quite possibly quite a but cuter. Being a gym rat does not make people superior. It makes them a gym rat.

For the obese, yes, I do think it should be a high priority to not be obese, and of course, that is not easy, and statistically the odds aren't good for the long term for success, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be searching for lifetime solutions to the problem, which is indeed a major HEALTH risk.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't have a problem.

folk will dream up all sorts of excuses for not exercising... the bottom line is they don`t have the required self discipline to get up off their fat butts and do something about it... jeese he`ll be telling us smoking cigarettes is good for you next....

• Like 2

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat.html

JT some thing to counter your number here they are talking 74% of the USA is overweight.

Now that I can believe.

Almost makes me think the west are conspiring to kill their population before they become non-productive.

(pension scam)

folk will dream up all sorts of excuses for not exercising... the bottom line is they don`t have the required self discipline to get up off their fat butts and do something about it... jeese he`ll be telling us smoking cigarettes is good for you next....

I exercise. I'm losing weight. I won't defend smoking. The info I have presented about the mildly overweight is scientifically valid. I can't help it if that bothers you. In my view, in weight matters -- there is the health aspect and there is also the cosmetic aspect. Of course to some degree most of us are indeed interested in BOTH to some degree, but the health aspect is more important.

Edited by Jingthing

I consider that a pop psychological personal attack that has nothing to do with me, and more about you and your justification for your personal choice of exercise obsession. I have said many times exercise is beneficial and I do it myself, in moderation. I am not saying fat is good though of course it is VERY GOOD in some survival situations. I am saying not everyone is going to be Men's Fitness model ideal (more like a TINY percentage of people will) nor should everyone prioritize an unrealistic "perfect" body image as a top priority in their life. I think PUSHING unrealistic body image ideals (often related to mass media) is socially damaging and I make no excuses for vehemently opposing such media brainwashing. If you choose this lean body image obsession, one by the way I DO NOT SHARE for myself or find attractive in other men, that is your choice. What is the point of PUSHING it as the goal for ALL? Does it make you feel like you need constant payback for all the hours and hard work you put in to push your lean agenda on others? What I get from you is that you think someone who decides OK, I am OK being a bit chubby, not obese and not fat enough to have health risk from it, that they should feel for the rest of their lives they are not GOOD ENOUGH, some kind of failure, that if they were a moral person they would dedicate their lives to looking like a Men's Fitness model and they need to constantly blame themselves for being weaklings that they just don't CARE to do that. I am saying many of those chubby dudes are JUST AS GOOD as you, JUST AS HEALTHY as you if not healthier, and quite possibly quite a but cuter. Being a gym rat does not make people superior. It makes them a gym rat.

For the obese, yes, I do think it should be a high priority to not be obese, and of course, that is not easy, and statistically the odds aren't good for the long term for success, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be searching for lifetime solutions to the problem, which is indeed a major HEALTH risk.

If I were to push my lean agenda as you call it as hard as you push your fat agenda I end up with as many post as you. You are clearly pushing the agenda not me I just counter you a bit. As for fitness models and such its nice to aspire to something to put you on your way and strive for something even if its hard or not possible. You know its called dedication and stuff like that helps.

As for the attraction thing I really don't care and lucky for you there are enough chubby chasers around. Some chubby guys might be healthier then me for sure but I am sure I am more healthy as the majority of them same that I am also sure that if you take the real lean category vs the chubby category overall the lean category will win in being healthy. They exercise more and eat healthier live more conscious.

I really don't care about fat people I have no problems with them its their choice the only ones that i have a problem with are the ones that can hardly walk or the ones that keep coming up with excuses why its impossible to loose weight. You seem to have a much bigger problem with lean people then I have with fat ones.