Cockroach

jbrain

This evening while I went to the kitchen I noticed that fat cockroach sitting in the middle of the floor from the livingroom.

So quickly I grabbed the Chaindrite1 spray, you know the white and orange spraybottle that kills termites and cockroaches, as I know when sprayed they will move only another few meter before they turn on their back and die.Period

But not this one.

He was sitting quietly on the floor when I gave him the full load, after which he started a sprint throughout the house. I chased him for at least 15 minutes giving the roach a full load at least 8 times emptying about half of a 300cc bottle, yet he kept sprinting at a moderate speed, climbing walls and furniture but falling off as I gave him a new load.

On occasion he would fall on his back, but get back on his legs in no time. I've never seen such behaviour from a cockroach even when sprayed only once.

At the end I had to kill him with several slaps from a cloth as he would keep full power.

So obvious cockroaches get immune to Alphacypermythrin and Bifentrin, the base contents of Chaindrite.

Since I hate these things like the pest, I would like to ask if anyone has similar experience and know which new chemical is used to contest these insects.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still use old-fashioned Baygon. Some roaches keep running after one load. I‘ll let them run. All of them die, it just takes longer for some.

When emptying half a can you should consider that these pesticides are also dangerous to humans (especially those not grown up yet) and pets.

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I still use old-fashioned Baygon. Some roaches keep running after one load. I‘ll let them run. All of them die, it just takes longer for some.

When emptying half a can you should consider that these pesticides are also dangerous to humans (especially those not grown up yet) and pets.

I understand your concern for the health of children, but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide.

Regarding the roach, I know they don't die instantly but normally they move at a slow pace and the first obstruction they meet they will turn on their back, but this one was a racer where Michael Johnson would have been jealous about.

For gawds sake just stamp on it and kick it out.

Don't thump it when it's climbing up the wall of a restaurant and put a hole in the wall like .......someone did on Friday night though. whistling.gif

I have heard several times in the past that stamp on it is the worst decision you can make, because if the cockroach is pregnant it will release all the eggs which can be hundreds.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 2

Would never use Chaindrite so unsparingly as did the OP. That stuff has enough toxic chemicals in it to choke an elephant. The OP`s lungs are probably damaged now for sure.

What I do when on occasions I find the odd roach sitting on the floor, is to creep up on it with the old plastic fly swat and then whacko, bam, splat.

If it runs under a box or somewhere where it becomes in-assessable, I just bide my time, because they always show again eventually and then whack it one with the swat.

They are tough critters. I wacked a few with those electric rackets and they still kept going. At least it slowed them down enough to stamp on them. You can't help but admire their tenacity.

They are tough critters. I wacked a few with those electric rackets and they still kept going. At least it slowed them down enough to stamp on them. You can't help but admire their tenacity.

post-164009-0-89927000-1372204561_thumb.

Over time, I have become less irritated by roaches, I realise this when I have relatives/friends over from the UK and they jump out of their skin when encountering one in a home environment. I can also recall literally disassembling a hotel room in Cambodia in my youth trying to locate the roach that had run across my bed.

Back to the present, I normally, but not often, come across them in our downstairs toilet, so I usually end up using a spray bottle with bleach or similar cleaner.

That seems to debilitate them very quickly with the added benefit of freshening up the aroma in my bathroom at the same time.

Quick clear up with a tissue and down the toilet they go.

If they get into Usain Bolt mode - a stamp or smack with a handy implement is your best option.

• Like 1

For gawds sake just stamp on it and kick it out.

Don't thump it when it's climbing up the wall of a restaurant and put a hole in the wall like .......someone did on Friday night though. whistling.gif

I have heard several times in the past that stamp on it is the worst decision you can make, because if the cockroach is pregnant it will release all the eggs which can be hundreds.

Have also heard that for every cockroach you see, 1 thousand more are hidden. Under certain circumstances this could be true, but generally isn't.

A cockroach cannot 'lay' or release eggs when it is dead. The eggs need a natural incubation period. Squash the roach, you will squash the eggs as well.

BTW, I also believed this for a long time, one of those urban myths.................wink.png

I hate them with a vengeance after working in a bakery - part time - in my school days. Lift the breat tins and there were always hundreds to be squashed. YUK !!!!! sick.gif

I flick them outside the house with a sweeping brush and then splat them. When they are dead I sweep the remains beyond the gate. If sweeping them out is not possible, I zap them with Chaindrite. Never had one last long like the OP after a good squirt of Chaindrite though.

I still use old-fashioned Baygon. Some roaches keep running after one load. I‘ll let them run. All of them die, it just takes longer for some.When emptying half a can you should consider that these pesticides are also dangerous to humans (especially those not grown up yet) and pets.Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I understand your concern for the health of children, but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide. Regarding the roach, I know they don't die instantly but normally they move at a slow pace and the first obstruction they meet they will turn on their back, but this one was a racer where Michael Johnson would have been jealous about.

"but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide." With all due respect, I think that is putting a lot of blind trust in others for your safety. History is littered with so many cases of products, services that were released, sold to the public and thought to be safe and where people took it for granted it was safe, and it later turned out not to be. Insecticide especially is toxic, by the very nature that it is intended to kill something living. And just because it is sold widely does not mean that it is safe to spray with little concern all around the house. I would not trust in any country, but especially Thailand. Maybe diverting the subject a tad, but in Thailand, one has really alter their thinking greatly. Coming from other countries that have better safety standards, less corruption, many of us take for granted that services, products, places, just living, that there will be some level of safety and we put a level of trust in that and dont think about safety. e.g. we dont think twice when eating food bought from the supermarket or restaurant, or using an appliance without getting electrocuted, or dont look both ways, when starting out from a green light, as we assume those that have the red will stop, and countless other everyday acts that we do without thinking, that implicitly assume some level of trust and lack of concern for our own safety and well being. But, in countries like Thailand, there really has to be a mindset that there is less regulation or enforcement of regulations, more corruption, and that leads to a less safe environment and therefore it behooves us to take a more active role in guarding our own safety. One only has to read Thai Visa for awhile and you will see case after case of things to watch out for. e.g. we should drive much more defensively in Thailand, since greater chance other drivers will not follow the rules. Or we should be much more careful in products we buy or use, or not assume that a service will be of a certain standard, and not assume they will be safe. Of course, there are many things one cant guard against, no matter how careful we are, but there still should be a mind shift towards taking more responsibility for one's own safety and well being in everyday life in Thailand. One really has to be more diligent and change one's mindset, than if one were in some other countries, where we have learned to take a lot of personal safety for granted. JMHO.

And your opinion please about cockroachsafety in thailand ? Pffffff

When I was a young girl my father bought me a Daisy air gun. It was pretty accurate at short distances and I used to shoot grasshoppers for sport. While I was in Thailand I often thought I would have enjoyed shooting cockroaches and the rats that run from my hotel's garbage bins and a nearby pond.

When I was a young girl my father bought me a Daisy air gun. It was pretty accurate at short distances and I used to shoot grasshoppers for sport. While I was in Thailand I often thought I would have enjoyed shooting cockroaches and the rats that run from my hotel's garbage bins and a nearby pond.

Shooting grasshoppers ?

Did you become a sniper in later life?

• Like 1

I understand your concern for the health of children, but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide.

Regarding the roach, I know they don't die instantly but normally they move at a slow pace and the first obstruction they meet they will turn on their back, but this one was a racer where Michael Johnson would have been jealous about.

"but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide

They still sell cigaretts world wide

hahahahahaha! really?

"but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide."

With all due respect, I think that is putting a lot of blind trust in others for your safety. History is littered with so many cases of products, services that were released, sold to the public and thought to be safe and where people took it for granted it was safe, and it later turned out not to be. Insecticide especially is toxic, by the very nature that it is intended to kill something living. And just because it is sold widely does not mean that it is safe to spray with little concern all around the house.

I would not trust in any country, but especially Thailand. Maybe diverting the subject a tad, but in Thailand, one has really alter their thinking greatly. Coming from other countries that have better safety standards, less corruption, many of us take for granted that services, products, places, just living, that there will be some level of safety and we put a level of trust in that and dont think about safety. e.g. we dont think twice when eating food bought from the supermarket or restaurant, or using an appliance without getting electrocuted, or dont look both ways, when starting out from a green light, as we assume those that have the red will stop, and countless other everyday acts that we do without thinking, that implicitly assume some level of trust and lack of concern for our own safety and well being.

But, in countries like Thailand, there really has to be a mindset that there is less regulation or enforcement of regulations, more corruption, and that leads to a less safe environment and therefore it behooves us to take a more active role in guarding our own safety. One only has to read Thai Visa for awhile and you will see case after case of things to watch out for. e.g. we should drive much more defensively in Thailand, since greater chance other drivers will not follow the rules. Or we should be much more careful in products we buy or use, or not assume that a service will be of a certain standard, and not assume they will be safe. Of course, there are many things one cant guard against, no matter how careful we are, but there still should be a mind shift towards taking more responsibility for one's own safety and well being in everyday life in Thailand. One really has to be more diligent and change one's mindset, than if one were in some other countries, where we have learned to take a lot of personal safety for granted. JMHO.

A quote from some repellent I'd happen to read last weekend:

"Remove pets and people from the room .............."

I remember one of the first ships I worked on in Asia. Went into my cabin and there was no linen on the bed, got some linen and proceded to make up the bed. Lifting the mattress to tuck in the sheets and there were dozens of the little buggers under the mattress. I won't ruin anyones dinner with the description of the galley.

"but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide

They still sell cigaretts world wide

But I've never seen those scary pictures on insecticide spray's as on the cigarette packages