Nattawut: No irregularity found during the raid of 2,100 rice millers and warehouses

webfact

RICE-PLEDGING
No irregularity found: Nattawut

The Nation

30209211-01_big.jpg
Police officers were seen during the inspection in Pathum Thani.

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Commerce Minister Nattawut Saikuar insisted on Thursday that no irregularity is found during the raid of 2,100 rice millers and warehouses nationwide.

As the raid has covered 30 per cent of the warehouses participating in the rice-pledging scheme, he conceded that there is redundancy in the number of rice mills and warehouses in some provinces.

Yet, such does not implicate signs of corruption, he said.

While the result of quantity inspection would be known this evening, the quality test will take a short while.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-28

In other stories I saw reported that there was missing rice, rice being stored outside under plastic...guess that's standard operating procedure. Granted this seems like a small percentage, I'm not sure how they can conclude there are no signs of corruption. From this perhaps they can say they most of the rice is present and accounted for and most seems to be in expected condition with a few exceptions. Checking on the rice stock is an altogether different animal from exploring the reports of corruption...farmers not being paid pledging price by millers, waiting extended periods of time or not being paid at all, G2G deals that they won't release any figures for, and rumors of rice coming in from neighboring countries and being sold as Thai rice at pledging price.

That aside, this "raid" has been much publicized and they are no where near completion in their checks. How is it a raid when they know they are coming?

In other stories I saw reported that there was missing rice, rice being stored outside under plastic...guess that's standard operating procedure. Granted this seems like a small percentage, I'm not sure how they can conclude there are no signs of corruption. From this perhaps they can say they most of the rice is present and accounted for and most seems to be in expected condition with a few exceptions. Checking on the rice stock is an altogether different animal from exploring the reports of corruption...farmers not being paid pledging price by millers, waiting extended periods of time or not being paid at all, G2G deals that they won't release any figures for, and rumors of rice coming in from neighboring countries and being sold as Thai rice at pledging price.

That aside, this "raid" has been much publicized and they are no where near completion in their checks. How is it a raid when they know they are coming?

Well the rice warehouses and millers have had 2 weeks to get ready for the inspections. They would be pretty stupid to be found out.....:D

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

One newspaper reports this morning that the police in many provinces didn't know how to calculate the volume of rice found in the waerhouses so they just took pictures of it instead!

I would defy any one to calculate the amount of sacks in one of those piles to within 3% accuracy in one afternoon, let alone hundreds of warehouses in one day.

• Like 2

2000 plus raids over the country, really? Cosmetic claptrap.

How many people did it take to carry out the raids? Who coordinated them? Were they carried out simultaneously to avoid the unscrupulous warning their brothers in corruption? What did they check, and how did they do it? Were the checkers to be trusted, and how do we know?

So many questions, so little time.

In the meantime:

Phu Yai to minion: Get on the blower, and order me another Lamborghini.

Minion: What colour, boss?

Phu Yai: Pink.

• Like 1

That's not what's on the front page of the other paper.

Exactly! The other paper are saying the inspection HAS uncovered problems. Alarmingly though it says inspections were carried out by Government workers and policemen. Are we supposed to trust that policemen are carrying out these inspections, (upon which Thaksin is depending) with an unbiased attitude?

• Like 2

One newspaper reports this morning that the police in many provinces didn't know how to calculate the volume of rice found in the waerhouses so they just took pictures of it instead!

I would defy any one to calculate the amount of sacks in one of those piles to within 3% accuracy in one afternoon, let alone hundreds of warehouses in one day.

Why would you count sacks. Grain is measured in weight vs volume of space it occupies. The government gave warning of the coming inspection, to everyone, it would have made sense to instruct a couple of inspectors in use of a calculator, weight of rice per ton, squaew meter/footage, etc They could have written their own soft ware for tablets to handle this, and then add a tape measure. I would imagine every warehose has ladders avaliable on site. The stupidity of this exercise was to say the results would be known by 1800 on the day of inspection. Then to let the people that were assigned to oversee the exercise, and those chosen to perform the task, out of their cages, to terrorize the rest of the country

• Like 1

Why would you count sacks. Grain is measured in weight vs volume of space it occupies. The government gave warning of the coming inspection, to everyone, it would have made sense to instruct a couple of inspectors in use of a calculator, weight of rice per ton, squaew meter/footage, etc They could have written their own soft ware for tablets to handle this, and then add a tape measure. I would imagine every warehose has ladders avaliable on site. The stupidity of this exercise was to say the results would be known by 1800 on the day of inspection. Then to let the people that were assigned to oversee the exercise, and those chosen to perform the task, out of their cages, to terrorize the rest of the country

Its all in sacks of supposedly standard weight. But if you look at how its stacked, the only number you could ever rely on would be the warehouse stocklist. If they tell you 10,000 sacks per stack, do you really think that with these gargantuan piles you could tell the difference if there were 9,500? To be perfectly frank, I wouldn't be surprised if with years of experience the warehouses haven't perfected constructing hollow stacks, or that the inner stacks are filled with sand occasionally.

Or should they break it all down and count it one by one. I notice that 30% of the warehouses are under fumigation, in which case, I would expect that there will be convoys from the already inspected warehouses to the uninspected warehouses forthwith to cover up any missing stock.

Of course it would be too logical to insist that the sacks are marked with the name of the mill that processed them, and date of processing. That would bring far too much visibility to the whole process right?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Commerce Minister Nattawut Saikuar insisted on Thursday that no irregularity is was found during the raid of 2,100 rice millers and warehouses nationwide.

As the raid has covered 30 per cent of the warehouses participating in the rice-pledging scheme, he conceded that there is redundancy in the number of rice mills and warehouses in some provinces.
Yet, such does not implicate (indicate?) signs of corruption, he said.
While the result of quantity inspection would be known this evening, the quality test will take a short while.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-28

They are all implicated in the corruption.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the thousands of bags are filled with sand.

• Like 1

Press release from the Brown Paper Bag Pty Ltd

To our valued customers

Due to unusually high demand for brown paper bags we have run out of supply but we have stepped up production and the situation will be back to normal in three days.

Thankyou for your patience

I wonder what was in the brown paper bag, must of arrived just in time. Nothing amiss here gov!

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Commerce Minister Nattawut Saikuar insisted on Thursday that no irregularity is was found during the raid of 2,100 rice millers and warehouses nationwide.

Yet, such does not implicate (indicate?) signs of corruption, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-06-28

They are all implicated in the corruption.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the thousands of bags are filled with sand.

What did you expect, corruption is the name of the game in Thailand's Chinese circles....

Be fair! He didn't say that there was no corruption, he said that he didn't find it. Whether this was due to selective occupational blindness, or that he is severely mathematically challenged (thick) is open to speculation.

• Like 2

Give them time. They'll soon be able to show no corruption and have figures to show their is no loss. Moody's just got it wrong. Khun Thaksin was right all along. It's just how you measure all the long term economic and social gains, rather than focusing on the short term financials. Typical Westerners - just don't understand long term economic and financial planning like a super successful amply rich Thai-Chinese businessman. Just wait till he's back and introduces his 5, 10 and 20 year planned economies. Will make Stalin's look like the work of an amateur.

I wonder how long it took them to work out which warehouses to check...70% were not checked whistling.gif

That's not what's on the front page of the other paper.

Exactly! The other paper are saying the inspection HAS uncovered problems. Alarmingly though it says inspections were carried out by Government workers and policemen. Are we supposed to trust that policemen are carrying out these inspections, (upon which Thaksin is depending) with an unbiased attitude?

This might help answer the question.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/615622-cabinet-approves-bt157m-for-police-to-keep-price-pledging-scheme-transparent/