The last day at The Olde Bell

OldeBellPedr

That's perfectly OK......now you'll have people wondering if they're high profile or not. biggrin.png

... and getting a little concerned at the realization that they do probably qualify as "high profile on Thaivisa".

Yes, we are all victims of our own actions. biggrin.png

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's perfectly OK......now you'll have people wondering if they're high profile or not. biggrin.png

... and getting a little concerned at the realization that they do probably qualify as "high profile on Thaivisa".

Hi-pro rather than hi-so?

• Like 2

The River Market? For a piss up? I think not. For a sit down meal and speeches, oh yes (I think I'll skip that one).

Monkey Club, that brings back memories. Bad ones. I decided one night that Crispy Fish Bowel sounded particularly delicious and paid the price for several days as my body rejected just about everything in it, or at least that's how it felt.

The Pub, who came up with that idea? Yes they have great parking, for Zimmer frames.

Where's the 99Bt Beer Buffet, now THAT sounds like a plan!

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The River Market? For a piss up? I think not. For a sit down meal and speeches, oh yes (I think I'll skip that one).

Monkey Club, that brings back memories. Bad ones. I decided one night that Crispy Fish Bowel sounded particularly delicious and paid the price for several days as my body rejected just about everything in it, or at least that's how it felt.

The Pub, who came up with that idea? Yes they have great parking, for Zimmer frames.

thumbsup.gif

You sure you mean bowel. unsure.png

:thumbsup:

You sure you mean bowel. :unsure:

Sounds like it was

Monkey Club is on Nimman. Bit of a poseur place (like most on that road) but it's worthwhile later at night when all the girls are sufficiently drunk.

Be careful though, because many will have jealous boyfriends who own guns. :/

I'd rather take my chances at Loy Kroh / Zoe / Spicy. Safer. And Funner.

Yup, I agree with your take on Nimman. Been there only a few times and noted its mainly for the Thai wannabes.... hell hope I dont get acussed of being a racist! wai2.gif

Zoe I found to be ok, havent done Spicy but have been advised to steer clear as it can get nasty. But then again any place could get nasty when booze is involved.

So many people paint all of Nimmanhamin with the same broad brush. There are many dozens of bars on Nimmanhamin and its sois, and they're not all alike. I think the problem is that English is a foreign language in these bars and none of them have young Thai women who rush to flirt with and hustle drinks from western men--in other words it's not Loi Kroh. But there are many places where the food is good, the drink specials outstanding, and the people nice provided you don't treat the women like prostitutes. It motivates me to keep studying Thai even though I have no talent for the language. If you don't speak Thai I recommend going with a Thai friend.

Zoe is a backpacker bar. I think it's great that it's there and I frequently recommend it to young people who ask for an interesting place to drink, but it's not to my taste--too loud and crowded. I haven't been to Spicy in many years, but the last time I went it also wasn't to my taste for many reasons.

Right, somehow it doesn't fit the TV profile.

Which might actually be a current challenge for Rivermarket.. It would benefit from getting a little.. crazier. Kind of like Riverside, which is a totally solid restaurant, but gets hoppng with live bands around weekends.

You sure you mean bowel. unsure.png

Yes. Though I would say 'crispy fish stomach'. ( http://www.google.co.th/search?q=กระเพาะปลากรอบ&tbm=isch&tbo=u )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

thumbsup.gif

Sorry,this is a small place with mostly Thai customers and the beer buffet is already very popular--arrive early to be sure of a table. I don't want it ruined by a flood of new customers. But if I found two beer buffets without looking they can't be that rare, or at least not rare outside the tourist areas. Just do a bit of exploring.

I should also mention that this beer buffet starts at 6 p.m. and ends at 8 p.m., you can't sit and drink til closing time for 99 baht. I don't know of any all night drink buffets. Sorry.

Edited by heybruce

thumbsup.gif

Sorry,this is a small place with mostly Thai customers and the beer buffet is already very popular--arrive early to be sure of a table. I don't want it ruined by a flood of new customers. But if I found two beer buffets without looking they can't be that rare, or at least not rare outside the tourist areas. Just do a bit of exploring.

So, in other words, you don't know. laugh.png

The last time I was asked not to reveal the location of a beer buffet, the place eventually closed down due to lack of customers.

If you like a place, spread the word. Yes, prices may go up to 120 baht. But that's a lot better than not having anything at all.

• Like 1

Im sure that I and a few others could get our 99bht worth in 2 hours....might be a bit like the old 6 oclock swill that use to be the go in kiwi land many many years ago. Thats when the pubs closed down and the police use to move people on.

It was amazing hearing stories of the amounts that were consumed at 6 oclock

But I digress.... will have to go and do some investigating into the matter. Hopefully find some that back onto each other, could end up with a 4 hr session! I can feel the hangover already w00t.gif

...Dragonfly, Carnival, One O One, Som's Place, Wild Boar, Sassy, Paradise, Full Moon 2, My Place Lounge, Fish Spa Bar (or whatever it's called, but it's pretty good), and several smaller ones, one of which only opened a week or two ago. And that's Loi Kroh.

Aren't all the bars on Loi Kroh hookers joints? Is the idea that one likes to have a "local" in which he can see familiar faces both foreigner (men) and Thai (bargirls)?

I understand the concept of being a "regular," but might one just try a few of these other places and find one that suits you? Become a new regular.

Im sure that I and a few others could get our 99bht worth in 2 hours....might be a bit like the old 6 oclock swill that use to be the go in kiwi land many many years ago. Thats when the pubs closed down and the police use to move people on.

It was amazing hearing stories of the amounts that were consumed at 6 oclock

But I digress.... will have to go and do some investigating into the matter. Hopefully find some that back onto each other, could end up with a 4 hr session! I can feel the hangover already w00t.gif

Only 4 hours? Lightweight. drunk.gif

...Dragonfly, Carnival, One O One, Som's Place, Wild Boar, Sassy, Paradise, Full Moon 2, My Place Lounge, Fish Spa Bar (or whatever it's called, but it's pretty good), and several smaller ones, one of which only opened a week or two ago. And that's Loi Kroh.

Aren't all the bars on Loi Kroh hookers joints? Is the idea that one likes to have a "local" in which he can see familiar faces both foreigner (men) and Thai (bargirls)?

I understand the concept of being a "regular," but might one just try a few of these other places and find one that suits you? Become a new regular.

No they are not all hooker joints. The Olde Bell being a prime example.

How about the other 9 LK bars that he listed?

Edited by AngelsLariat

The last time I was asked not to reveal the location of a beer buffet, the place eventually closed down due to lack of customers.

If you like a place, spread the word. Yes, prices may go up to 120 baht. But that's a lot better than not having anything at all.

I'll check in on the place later this week, and continue to check in the months ahead. If it looks like it's hurting for business I'll spread the word.

In the meantime it occurs to me that the 6 to 8 p.m. buffet times should make them easy to find--just wonder along promising sois during this time and look for inexplicably popular restaurant/bars. This should work around Nimmanhamin, Canal road, Santitham, the university part of Suthap, and many other places. It may seem old fashioned, using legwork instead of the internet, but sometimes the old ways work well.

Wild Boar is a sports pub and resturant. Not a hooker bar..

• Like 1

My quote above was in reference to Beetlejuice' statement that bars (are being forced / encouraged to) close, so I listed 9 new ones that opened up on Loi Kroh in just the past four years. Most of those are hooker bars, and as such not intended / recommended as new TV hangouts. wink.png According to Beetlejuice the primary push from police / the-powers-that-be is against hooker bars, so in that context it was relevant.

Out of the ones I listed, Wild Boar is not a hooker bar. Some others are a little more gray-area, so with the disclaimer that my threshold for calling something a hooker bar may be higher than for others, I would also say that Som's Place isn't a hooker bar. It's in the little massage shop alley, across from the 7-eleven. For reference and comparison purposes, I also don't consider Number 1 a hooker bar, or Sunset-Sunrise on the moat; that does not mean that nobody ever picked up a waitress there, but it means that the primary focus and vibe of the bar is that of a regular pub: chat with other guests, drink, etc. But again, that's very much open to debate / dispute; it's not an exact science. (Or I'd be an M.Sc. in Hookerbarology.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

A little remote on Loi Kroh but the down under pub is not a hooker bar. More a sports bar.

I've passed by the Wild Boar but never been in it. How is it, in terms of food, beer selection, prices, etc.?

I'd also like to check out the Down Under, which I assume is an Aussie bar (I'm not an Aussie, I've just observed the country has a lot of good-natured drinkers). Where is the Down Under?

A little remote on Loi Kroh but the down under pub is not a hooker bar. More a sports bar.

I've passed by the Wild Boar but never been in it. How is it, in terms of food, beer selection, prices, etc.?

I'd also like to check out the Down Under, which I assume is an Aussie bar (I'm not an Aussie, I've just observed the country has a lot of good-natured drinkers). Where is the Down Under?

Ask Sheela?

My quote above was in reference to Beetlejuice' statement that bars (are being forced / encouraged to) close, so I listed 9 new ones that opened up on Loi Kroh in just the past four years. Most of those are hooker bars, and as such not intended / recommended as new TV hangouts. wink.png According to Beetlejuice the primary push from police / the-powers-that-be is against hooker bars, so in that context it was relevant.

Out of the ones I listed, Wild Boar is not a hooker bar. Some others are a little more gray-area, so with the disclaimer that my threshold for calling something a hooker bar may be higher than for others, I would also say that Som's Place isn't a hooker bar. It's in the little massage shop alley, across from the 7-eleven. For reference and comparison purposes, I also don't consider Number 1 a hooker bar, or Sunset-Sunrise on the moat; that does not mean that nobody ever picked up a waitress there, but it means that the primary focus and vibe of the bar is that of a regular pub: chat with other guests, drink, etc. But again, that's very much open to debate / dispute; it's not an exact science. (Or I'd be an M.Sc. in Hookerbarology.)

+1.

Down Under Bar is at the very bottom of Loi Kroh road, past the Red Lion, near the site of the Downtown Inn, the Guitar Bar ( now closed ) and the Reggae Bar.

I was down that way last week and I noticed this bus bar next to the Iron Bridge.......has it been there a while?

1011300_554469834591343_1469130591_n.jpg

I was down taking a photo of the Iron Bridge at night,

1002087_554469844591342_409180532_n.jpg

It's a lovely sight at night.

Down Under Bar is at the very bottom of Loi Kroh road, past the Red Lion, near the site of the Downtown Inn, the Guitar Bar ( now closed ) and the Reggae Bar.

Ah right, the old Bunny Club. I keep forgetting the name/place but still need to make it over sometime.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

+1.

I was down that way last week and I noticed this bus bar next to the Iron Bridge.......has it been there a while?

1011300_554469834591343_1469130591_n.jpg

I was down taking a photo of the Iron Bridge at night,

1002087_554469844591342_409180532_n.jpg

It's a lovely sight at night.

Yeah, Bus Bar has been getting some pretty good sized crowds. The other night they had Sangsom out there sponsoring a party. Promotion girls, a live band, etc. There are some pretty nice pics on their FB page. Been meaning to stop in and check it out, but I keep forgetting.

-Mestizo

• Like 1