Farang got Stabbed

ShopBoy

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one with half a brain would suggest that the farang victim was completely innocent in this case. He certainly didn't deserve to die, but he was at least partially to blame for being belligerent and refusing to pay the guy.

I don't understand some of you people with this anti-Thai attitude. Do you all think it's open season on farangs because of this one incident? I'm not a bit concerned for my own safety as I understand what not to do in this country. Depriving some guy of his income and being rude about it is not what I would recommend. On second thought, some of you guys should act out and perhaps get what you deserve.

how do you know he was being belligerent ???
He doesn't! He's just making things up to support his weak argument.

WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED IF HE CAUGHT THE BUS OR SKYTRAIN. NO SYMPATHY AT ALL. he lived here so he knows the story.

Great, another guy who says "if he hadn't been in Thailand it would not have happened". So much for educated responses.

You don't know just how accurate your NIC is.

He's likely to be related to antfish and brewster whistling.gif

The American would not have made a scene over a fare of 51 baht on the meter, as that is a reasonable fee considering the distance, since this American was returning home and probably has done this very trip a dozen times, it sounds hihgly unlikely that the conflict was about this 51 baht. What the conflict really was all about we will probably never know, how convenientfor the cabby.

There's a lot of conflicting info on this. I saw one report that said he got the cab at Central Shopping Mall in Bang Na to go to Sukhumvit 85 and the incident took place when he got out at Soi 68. According to Google Maps it's 9.9 km from the shopping mall to Soi 68, but Soi 68 is past Soi 85.... and 51 baht is not the fare for a 9.9 km trip. None of that makes any sense.

As a resident of 3 years, the American would have had a very good idea of what the fare should be. Perhaps the meter had clocked up to some ridiculous amount.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Tell me why should i not believe a Thai taxi driver or Thai eyewitnesses?
<snip>

It doesn't matter; if he pulled the sword then that was intent to use it; sure he would not expect the unarmed man to attack, but he did. Makes no difference. Excessive force; if I have a sword and you have nothing, if I kill you with sword it would be very difficult to prove that your life was in danger.

From the foreigners reaction; the driver should have put down the sword and fought man to man(we know that would never, ever happen here)

Basically, the foreigner called the drivers bluff. It is still murder, possibly second degree, but still murder.

Edited by soundman
Derogatory post removed.

So you choose to believe what exactly? That this taxi driver just decided to kill this guy because of....what? He was a farang? I think you're making yourself out to be the bigger fool.

I am not syaing there wasn't an argument / disagreement. I however have no reason to take the words of the taxi driver either given he was swinging a samuri sword. The Farang bit, where's that come from?

I'm just trying to figure out what you guys think the motive is. Let's be objective here: Thais do not just go around killing people, farang or otherwise. The reason this is big news is because it simply doesn't happen. And you guys chastising all Thais for being lawless thugs is not helping matters. All the Thais that have heard this news are equally horrified.

Rather than placing blame (although we know the driver is guilty of murder), what is the lessons learned? If you choose to believe that there's nothing the farang can do and that all foreigners in Thailand are doomed, I beg to differ. Having manners can save your life, quite literally.

The American would not have made a scene over a fare of 51 baht on the meter, as that is a reasonable fee considering the distance, since this American was returning home and probably has done this very trip a dozen times, it sounds hihgly unlikely that the conflict was about this 51 baht. What the conflict really was all about we will probably never know, how convenientfor the cabby.

There's a lot of conflicting info on this. I saw one report that said he got the cab at Central Shopping Mall in Bang Na to go to Sukhumvit 85 and the incident took place when he got out at Soi 68. According to Google Maps it's 9.9 km from the shopping mall to Soi 68, but Soi 68 is past Soi 85.... and 51 baht is not the fare for a 9.9 km trip. None of that makes any sense.

As a resident of 3 years, the American would have had a very good idea of what the fare should be. Perhaps the meter had clocked up to some ridiculous amount.

The question is what the taxi is doing at that side of the street, suk 68 is past east from Suk 85, if they were on that side of Sukhumvit they were going the wrong way.

"And enough already with jabbing your finger into the eyes of your fellow farangs,figuratively speaking;

many of us are attached fondly to Thailand, its culture and its people."...........................................................

Some of you may feel that way about Thailand, but a lot of you come across as bitter and twisted rednecks with nothing better to do with your time than to sit at a computer and type nasty comments about Thailand, the Thai people, culture and Buddhism. And it is not just on tragic threads like this one, the same rotten comments appear regularly on a wide range of topics. If these racist ranters truly loved Thailand they could do it a big favor and go home.

Read rule # 8 in the forum rules.

• Like 1

The victim had no reason to get publicly angry over 51 baht. Especially since he knew Thailand well. Nor did he deserve to die.

The killer had no reason to kill over 51 baht, and now he deserves to die.

Things aren't always as black-and-white as the Black Team and the White Team claim.

Why does everyone assume that the 51 baht story is true?.. like it's indisputable gospel?

The cabbie had plenty of time to make up a story. For all we know the meter was displaying 150 baht or higher.

I really doubt that the victim would have gotten that upset over 51 baht... just 21 baht over flag-fall...,a guy who has been living and working in Thailand (Bangkok) for 3 years,.

We'll never know the truth. The only truth we can rely on is that whatever the cabbie states has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't assume anything. All I can do is go by what I read, filter out the obvious BS, and comment on the rest. Just like everyone else here, including yourself.

But his own wife (purportedly) stated he would not tolerate being cheated. She should know, don't you think?

51 baht or 150 baht or, hey, 1500 baht is irrelevant to the appropriate behavior of both parties.

I disagree that the price is irrelevant in this case.

The cabbie claimed to have taken the victim a short distance only, therefore it was in his best interest to suggest the meter was reading a ridiculously small amount (and threw in the 1 baht to make it seem genuine), in order to make it seem like the victim was being extremely unreasonable - and threw in the coffee for good measure.

51 baht makes the cabbie seem like an honest bloke. 150 baht (for example) would make him a thief.

No one will ever be able to establish what was showing on the meter, but no one should believe the murderer.

So following your logic, if the cabbie is lying, and the fare was 150 baht, wouldn't that make it more likely the victim did lose his cool?

EDIT: Just saw your post #606. My earlier points were that a cabbie isn't just going to go off killing someone without some reason, no matter how insignificant. If as you said, the meter was up to some "ridiculous amount," that just bolsters my point. Mr. Pilkington likely lost his cool. And my post way back when was admonishing others not to do this. The victim had many options. Yelling, or even just walking off, weren't good ones.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

So you choose to believe what exactly? That this taxi driver just decided to kill this guy because of....what? He was a farang? I think you're making yourself out to be the bigger fool.

I am not syaing there wasn't an argument / disagreement. I however have no reason to take the words of the taxi driver either given he was swinging a samuri sword. The Farang bit, where's that come from?

I'm just trying to figure out what you guys think the motive is. Let's be objective here: Thais do not just go around killing people, farang or otherwise. The reason this is big news is because it simply doesn't happen. And you guys chastising all Thais for being lawless thugs is not helping matters. All the Thais that have heard this news are equally horrified.

Rather than placing blame (although we know the driver is guilty of murder), what is the lessons learned? If you choose to believe that there's nothing the farang can do and that all foreigners in Thailand are doomed, I beg to differ. Having manners can save your life, quite literally.

I am inclined to think that a taxi driver who keeps a samurai sword in his car, and reportedly has a history of ya baaa use, will not necessarily have had a rational motive.

Something got him angry, certainly, but it doesn't necessarily have to be something that made much sense.

• Like 2

Many years ago I witnessed an altercation between a farang and a middle age songthaew driver in Chiangmai over a 5 baht fare..this farang refused to pay what the driver claimed was the correct fare paid by everyone even the locals...
The farang claimed his is the 'correct' fare....all because of 5 baht...he just walked off and uttered that all Thais are cheat in English of course...this is one of the many causes that can turn a mild person into violence, he was driving all day just to made a living....bah.gif

Edited by chuang

I don't understand why you keep harping on about motive. Obviously this is a case of an attack done in anger. There's was no clear thinking or planning involved.

... and yes, some Thais do go around killing people. We see reports of cases quite frequently.

So following your logic, if the cabbie is lying, and the fare was 150 baht, wouldn't that make it more likely the victim did lose his cool?

EDIT: Just saw your post #606. My earlier points were that a cabbie isn't just going to go off killing someone without some reason, no matter how insignificant. If as you said, the meter was up to some "ridiculous amount," that just bolsters my point. Mr. Pilkington likely lost his cool. And my post way back when was admonishing others not to do this. The victim had many options. Yelling, or even just walking off, weren't good ones.

I don't live in Bangkok, but if they had apparently travelled from Central Shopping Mall in Bang Na to Sukhumvit 68, don't you think the fare might have been substantially higher? It's 9.9 km. Can you travel that far in a taxi in heavy traffic for 51 baht?

No, I don't think anyone would have gotten this excited over 21 baht (above flag-fall)..

Edited by tropo

I don't understand why you keep harping on about motive. Obviously this is a case of an attack done in anger. There's was no clear thinking or planning involved.

... and yes, some Thais do go around killing people. We see reports of cases quite frequently.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/652680-police-hunting-for-axe-wielding-maniac-in-bangkoks-chom-thong-district/ for example...

im 100% thai.firstly i want to tell you guys that what the driver did is a crime.thai people cant accept what he did.especially when it happened to farang.farangs are always welcome to thailand but let me get this straight to u guys.one thing that thais dont like about farang is how aggressive they are(im not talking about about 100%of farangs). for example i went out last week with my friends and i saw one big farang guy was fighting with a cab driver.from what i saw the driver tried to speak to him nicely but that guy kept yelling on him and challenge him to fight.after that about 10 mins the cab driver friends arrived then start punching the farang guy.in this kind of case i recommend you guys to not being aggressive back to them.get the police or any other thais who can help you is better.once you start being rude to them.a story is not gonna finish as soon as u think.this is from a thai 's perspective.no one can harm you as long as you dont start first.trust me guys!!i know thais!! by the way some of thai people they are truely &lt;deleted&gt; therefore just let it go.dont even thinking about fight coz they never fight fair!"

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by magicianred
  • Like 2

Just something to think about. How often do we hear about foreigners getting violently assaulted for disputing a taxi or tuk tuk fare? Too often!

Maybe Piklington paid the cabby something before getting out of the cab? We don't know. Maybe he paid nothing? We don't know. Maybe he threw coffee on the cabby? We don't know. Maybe he didn't throw coffee on the cabby? We don't really know.

What do we know? Only what the cabby has disclosed to the BIB, and what the BIB has disclosed to the press. And we know what we see on the video, although it has been interpreted in more than one way by various posters on TV. I've looked at the slow motion video a bunch of times. The video clearly starts by showing the cabby, armed with a long machete (way longer then 12 inches) taking a swing at Piklington who is standing, unarmed, in a sideways position. Was he getting ready to try to run or was he preparing to attempt to defend himself? Or maybe it was his intent to attack a machete wielding Thai. No one will ever know.

The cabby may be fabricating the story or he may be telling the truth. We don't know. Either way though, the video shows the cabby attacking an unarmed man with a deadly weapon that led to that man's death. The reason for the attack will probably only come into play during the cabby's trial -- was the act a murder or manslaughter? From my perspective, I look at the video and I see a murder. But that's up to the Thai judicial system to figure out based on the results of a BIB investigation. Most of us probably won't like the outcome, but it's not our say.

Let me give you another scenario that should have happened. If Pilkington bilked the cabby for his fare, and/or threw coffee on him, the cabby could have called the BIB. He could have taken a picture of Pilkington with his cell phone. He could have yelled "Thief, thief, thief" and enlist others to apprehend and detain Pilkington until the BIB showed up and then press charges. Or he could just accept that he got screwed over. Like, that's what is expected of us foreigners. We're pretty much expected to just roll over and accept rip-offs, and most of us do just that. What's the alternative? Getting into an unwinnable confrontation with one or more Thai National?

Personally I hope the SOB taxi driver gets throw in jail until he rots. And I wish the Thai government would take steps to stop the criminal assaults on foreigners by taxi drivers, tuk tuk drivers, jet ski operators, and other rip-off artists who use physical violence to intimidate foreigners who use their services or visit their establishments.

But, This is Thailand. I'm not going to hold my breath.

On the money

im 100% thai.firstly i want to tell you guys that what the driver did is a crime.thai people cant accept what he did.especially when it happened to farang.farangs are always welcome to thailand but let me get this straight to u guys.one thing that thais dont like about farang is how aggressive they are(im not talking about about 100%of farangs). for example i went out last week with my friends and i saw one big farang guy was fighting with a cab driver.from what i saw the driver tried to speak to him nicely but that guy kept yelling on him and challenge him to fight.after that about 10 mins the cab driver friends arrived then start punching the farang guy.in this kind of case i recommend you guys to not being aggressive back to them.get the police or any other thais who can help you is better.once you start being rude to them.a story is not gonna finish as soon as u think.this is from a thai 's perspective.no one can harm you as long as you dont start first.trust me guys!!i know thais!! by the way some of thai people they are truely asshol_e therefore just let it go.dont even thinking about fight coz they never fight fair!" Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

+1

tumblr_mbp10hMp991r3zat8.gif

dam_n !!!!! That was a sword attack, not a knife stabbing.....

I know what I would do if attacked with a knife, but will have to

think what to do about a sword.

You do what the tourist gut did and close the distance so stabbing or slicing is difficult. Understand you might get cut but who saya one cut is going to kill you? Vlose the distance and attack as hard as possible

How did that (apparent) approach work out for the victim? How it actually went down is off-camera so we don't know. Is it possible the taxi driver got lucky or had a backup weapon?

The best policy in Thailand is to avoid confrontations at all costs even when being extorted. If a confrontation occurs, impartially analyze what happened and take steps to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

RIP Mr. Pilkington

Obviously it's best to avoid confrontations - anywhere, not just in Asia where life is cheap. But if it happens and the attacker is armed with a sword you have to get close otherwise you are in range to be slahed stabbed, the closer you get the more difficult it is - hence the sword weilder going backwards all the time. I teach Krav Maga so I do know a bit about this type of thing.

So what's your conclusion? That any Thai can lose it and come after a farang with a sword for no reason whatsoever? If that's what you believe, why in freak's name are you still in Thailand? Don't you fear for your life? Or are you in fact lying and just spouting pointless nonsense like the rest of these bozos?

The reason I'm curious as to motive is to avoid a similar altercation. But I would encourage you to do exactly what you please in the same situation.

WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED IF HE CAUGHT THE BUS OR SKYTRAIN. NO SYMPATHY AT ALL. he lived here so he knows the story.

Great, another guy who says "if he hadn't been in Thailand it would not have happened". So much for educated responses.

You don't know just how accurate your NIC is.

He's likely to be related to antfish and brewster whistling.gif

Sure, he would still be here if he didn't catch that taxi, but the skytrain or a bus instead BUT as the full story is now starting to emerge, this wasn't a case of a taxi driver randomly killing a foreign passenger in an unprovoked attack. While there is NO justification whatsoever for what happened, even though it might have only been a slight, unintentional provocation on the part of the deceased (Mr. Pilkington), the taxi driver obviously didn't think so.

You could thus say...perhaps this is another reason to avoid taxis in Thailand? Maybe...I already do, but not necessarily for these reasons. I just don't like public transport, I'd rather drive. I try to drive myself in every country I go to, if it's a possibility in that particular country.

The victim had no reason to get publicly angry over 51 baht. Especially since he knew Thailand well. Nor did he deserve to die.

The killer had no reason to kill over 51 baht, and now he deserves to die.

Things aren't always as black-and-white as the Black Team and the White Team claim.

Why does everyone assume that the 51 baht story is true?.. like it's indisputable gospel?

The cabbie had plenty of time to make up a story. For all we know the meter was displaying 150 baht or higher.

I really doubt that the victim would have gotten that upset over 51 baht... just 21 baht over flag-fall...,a guy who has been living and working in Thailand (Bangkok) for 3 years,.

We'll never know the truth. The only truth we can rely on is that whatever the cabbie states has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Good point but the flagfall fare is 35 Baht. I know this even though I very rarely catch cabs in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Or are you in fact lying and just spouting pointless nonsense like the rest of these bozos?

It's pretty obvious that you're the one (quote), "spouting pointless nonsense".

I'd suggest you pull in your flames or leave the thread.

You're incredibly naive to the point of being childlike. Are you living in Thailand with your parents? For your sake I hope you are.

Good point but the flagfall fare is 35 Baht. I know this even though I very rarely catch cabs in Bangkok.

OK, so we're talking about a 16 baht fare then....for a supposedly 9.9 km ride? There's certainly a truck load of bs in this story.

• Like 1

Or are you in fact lying and just spouting pointless nonsense like the rest of these bozos?

It's pretty obvious that you're the one (quote), "spouting pointless nonsense".

I'd suggest you pull in your flames or leave the thread.

You're incredibly naive to the point of being childlike. Are you living in Thailand with your parents? For your sake I hope you are.

Probably sat in a flat in Bracknell. whistling.gif