Four detainees die in blaze at Nonthaburi police station

webfact

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bath 50,000 initial compensation for the relative to stock up more yaaba, buy bigger gun, those parished is disease to comunity this serve them right....

Yes because drug uses deserve the death penalty.. god it is true that only the dumbest foreigners come to Thailand.. I just found confirmation.

• Like 2

bath 50,000 initial compensation for the relative to stock up more yaaba, buy bigger gun, those parished is disease to comunity this serve them right....

Are you for real? You need to develop a bit of empathy. I doubt very much that their crimes warranted being burned to death, or that their relatives are gun toting drug addicts.

i agree with you giddyup, no one knows what these prisoners are in for, could be for petty crimes, what a short sighted narrow minded thing to say

• Like 1

Naret said if police were found negligent, they would be subject to disciplinary action.

The station gave each family Bt50,000 as initial compensation.

by the fact that they have already handed out compensation doesn't this already infer that the police have admitted negligence ?

I believe the police may also have to wear a Hello Kitty pink arm band for a week.

Are you for real? You need to develop a bit of empathy. I doubt very much that their crimes warranted being burned to death, or that their relatives are gun toting drug addicts.

i agree with you giddyup, no one knows what these prisoners are in for, could be for petty crimes, what a short sighted narrow minded thing to say

According to an article.. drug use and drunk driving.. while i hate people who drink and drive nobody deserves to burn alive. As for drug use as long as it is use and not bothering people i could not care less. One was in there for having a gun..

Looking at the picture it seems by the rubble on the ground that the cell door hasn't been opened since the fire. What is really interesting is that there is no lock on the lugs but a piece of bar. The padlock is locked on one of the cell bars like someone lost the key way before this?

• Like 1

How long do you think a flash-light and fire extinguisher would have 'remained' there, and would you expect both to remain maintained?

Standards are so shoddy here.

Another reason to behave oneself.

first of all - how many of you would be hero's have actually been in a fire situation in a building ?

Most fires smoke is what kills and it kills fast, from the pictures this fire looked pretty serious, I don't know if these guys could have been saved or not and I don't know if the officer could have made a more effective attempt to save them, in the dark (pitch black) can't breath - I challenge anyone here to do better

I've been in a situation like this and was driven back by smoke and heat - as it happens nobody died but could easily have happened - they jumped out of an upstairs bedroom window

We all know about building standards here and regulations, unfortunately they are not to the same standards as the west, should we blame the officers who attempted to save them - I think not

I'm no hero. "would be" or otherwise. I've been in this exact situation 3 times. Luckily I had extinguishers and training that allowed me to do exactly what needed to be done. Yes, the smoke (from wood, paint, oil) is harmful and can be overwhelming, but training and proper equipment overcome that. I'm happy to say no one ever died on my watch. Not enough information to blame the man on watch, but surely there is blood on someone's hands here.

That is only 10 or less km fom where i live.. amazing Thailand. One would say it would not be to hard to unlock the jail before running off. But he probably worried they would escape.

My prediction nobody will be prosecuted for this. Thailand land of cover-ups and corruption.

I still love this country but this is one of the parts i hate.

The officers could have shot both the detainees and their family in the head, and still the maximum punishment would be a transfer to an inactive post biggrin.png

My sympathy to the families of the deceased. We foreigners some times forget that the locals suffer far more at the hands of their police than we (foreigners) ever will. I have often thought that if the Thais ever reached a "tipping point" of no longer accepting mistreatment by their government institutions, it would very likely arise from a police incident.

RIP...

first of all - how many of you would be hero's have actually been in a fire situation in a building ?

Most fires smoke is what kills and it kills fast, from the pictures this fire looked pretty serious, I don't know if these guys could have been saved or not and I don't know if the officer could have made a more effective attempt to save them, in the dark (pitch black) can't breath - I challenge anyone here to do better

I've been in a situation like this and was driven back by smoke and heat - as it happens nobody died but could easily have happened - they jumped out of an upstairs bedroom window

We all know about building standards here and regulations, unfortunately they are not to the same standards as the west, should we blame the officers who attempted to save them - I think not

I'm no hero. "would be" or otherwise. I've been in this exact situation 3 times. Luckily I had extinguishers and training that allowed me to do exactly what needed to be done. Yes, the smoke (from wood, paint, oil) is harmful and can be overwhelming, but training and proper equipment overcome that. I'm happy to say no one ever died on my watch. Not enough information to blame the man on watch, but surely there is blood on someone's hands here.

great post and totally agree - standards here are totally lacking, if this police station had been operating in the west - well it wouldn't be operating it would have been shut down - TIT - health and safety standards don't exist or rather they might exist but are ignored and or not enforced

Is it the responsibility of the cops in the building to make sure it conforms to fire regulations ? certainly not, should the commanding officer be held responsible ? probably shares some of the blame, should the government be held responsible for not enforcing regulations on government buildings - probably, this is Thailand do you really expect anything more ? I don't

You know what - I'd be willing to bet that if you walked into a fire station in Thailand it would be just as bad

That's why Thailand is still 3rd world

Edited by smedly
  • Like 2

Naret said if police were found negligent, they would be subject to disciplinary action.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Perhaps briefly harshly spoken to or sent to inactive post for a week.

great post and totally agree - standards here are totally lacking, if this police station had been operating in the west - well it wouldn't be operating it would have been shut down - TIT - health and safety standards don't exist or rather they might exist but are ignored and or not enforced

Is it the responsibility of the cops in the building to make sure it conforms to fire regulations ? certainly not, should the commanding officer be held responsible ? probably shares some of the blame, should the government be held responsible for not enforcing regulations on government buildings - probably, this is Thailand do you really expect anything more ? I don't

You know what - I'd be willing to bet that if you walked into a fire station in Thailand it would be just as bad

That's why Thailand is still 3rd world

In Bangkok the police are also the fire personnel. Not sure if that is true for Nonthaburi.

I hope this copper is held accountable.... this is horrible news ..

How can a fire spread rapidly through a police station . normally were the cells are the area is stark if you've ever been inside one there really is very little flammable materials around other than a newspaper on the desk Sergent's desk. and an electrical fire normally also gives quite a distinguishable smell in advance of a serious fire.. houses burning down usually happen when everyone is asleep or out...