Does owning a business get you a B visa?

I will apply in Boston this time. I have gotten them in the past in Hull based on doing business between Thailand and Italy (with an Italian company) but going to Hull is expensive and I no longer have the Italian business. Therefore, I thought I would try and use my Thai company and go to the Boston consulate as I will soon be in Boston. Thanks Mario.

Yes, good idea. I have indeed been in contact with them but was unsure which route to pursue. That is, trying to get it with my business here or with the Italian connection. As far as single or multiple entry, am I correct in thinking that if I have only a single entry but need to leave Thailand more than once that I can simply pay for a re-entry permit? And this can be done multiple times?

Thank you.

A single entry would only be valid for one 90 day entry. A re-entry permit would only be valid for those 90 days it does not give you any additional time.

A multiple entry would be best.

When you say business do you mean a registered company.

If a company you might be able to get a work permit and then an extension of stay of stay at immigration if company meets the requirements.

You mean to say that there is no such thing as a one-year single entry B visa? Hmm, I have always applied for and received a multiple and will do so again. Just hoping that they don't give me only a single. That seems to happen to many folks here.

I had actually forgotten about leaving the country every 90 days. I suppose having only a single-entry with a year-long visa would be a contradiction.

Yes, I have a registered company here in Thailand. But only 1,000,000 capital and nothing to show in the bank. In fact, the company has been inactive for the past year. Not sure if that is a factor or not. My last business visa expired a month or two ago and I am just doing the stamps in Mae Sai until I get home to get the new visa. If I can somehow get a work permit and extension of stay and save myself some hassle, well, that sounds too good to be true. Now today I read that someone is having trouble getting even the entry stamps at Mae Sai. I didn't think that would be a problem if one hasn't been here for more than 90 days. Isn't that still the rule, 90 days max in any 6-month period?

There is no longer a 90 days rule that went away almost 5 years ago when they made border crossings 15 days.

Mae Sai has been telling people that 4 entries is the maximum.

Since the company is inactive it would be costly to get work permit and extension. You would have to raise the registered capital to 2 million and hire 4 Thai employees.

I wouldn't worry about the multiple entry not being issued. Honorary consulates are easy to work with and can be more flexible than official consulates and the embassy.

You could even contact another honorary consulates if they don't seem helpful.

List of them here: http://www.visetkaew.com/wp/directories/

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks so much Joe for the heads up on the 90 day thing. Now what is the max length of time one can stay in Thailand on just entry stamps? I need to do something by Friday or I will overstay. I was planning on going to Mae Sai again but now I'm not sure. They didn't mention anything last time nor give me any funny looks but if I exit and then am denied entry again to Thailand, what happens? I'm stuck in limbo in Tachilek? Maybe a trip to Laos for a tourist visa is in order... That gets a bit more costly, however.

They won't leave you stuck and will give you an entry. How many do you have now? Normally the limit is four 15 day entries back to back and they inform you of that when you get the forth.

A tourist visa is the best option if you are planning on staying a lot longer. If you total up how much it costs to get the 60 days by doing border runs to getting the visa it might come close to the same plus you can extend the tourist visa for another 30 days eliminating 2 more runs. If you get a 2 entry in Vientiane it can be very cost effective.

Edited by ubonjoe

...just checked and I have 3 or 4 Mae Sai stamps, depending on how you count: I have the first one from the last time I exited with my business visa still valid. After that expired, I have been to Mae Sai 3 times. So Friday would be my fourth time as a tourist. You are saying that 60 days is the max one can stay in Thailand (4-15 day entries) with no visa? If one is flying in, of course, you could get 4-30 day entry stamps? I'm a bit confused on that point.

It costs me about 1000 baht to do a run, if you don't count all the snacks/drinks I buy to make the bus ride more comfortable. My quick calculation on going to Laos is a lot higher. Well, unless on a bus but that's a long ride from CM. I'll have to run the numbers again. Will they look negatively at all my Mae Sai entry stamps at the Thai embassy in Laos and feasibly reject my visa app?

You mean to say that there is no such thing as a one-year single entry B visa? Hmm, I have always applied for and received a multiple and will do so again. Just hoping that they don't give me only a single. That seems to happen to many folks here.

I had actually forgotten about leaving the country every 90 days. I suppose having only a single-entry with a year-long visa would be a contradiction.

Yes, I have a registered company here in Thailand. But only 1,000,000 capital and nothing to show in the bank. In fact, the company has been inactive for the past year. Not sure if that is a factor or not. My last business visa expired a month or two ago and I am just doing the stamps in Mae Sai until I get home to get the new visa. If I can somehow get a work permit and extension of stay and save myself some hassle, well, that sounds too good to be true. Now today I read that someone is having trouble getting even the entry stamps at Mae Sai. I didn't think that would be a problem if one hasn't been here for more than 90 days. Isn't that still the rule, 90 days max in any 6-month period?

Just go for 90 days or otherwise it is a tourist visa.

I am writing a paper about this for one of my classes. However, I'm basing my assumptions on using the Treaty of Amity so not sure if what I say applies in all cases. The information was supplied by Indo-Siam Group in Bangkok. They were very informative, although the information was quite a lot. I also got information from the U.S. Commercial Service at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. The process is a little confusing so I hope I don't mix up some of the information. I do apologize in advance if I do.

Using the Treaty of Amity, it is possible to own a business 100% but not have a work permit to run it. You just collect the profit and hire others to do the work. However, if you want a work permit for your business, you have to show registered capital of 2,000,000 baht if you're in Bangkok and 4,000,000 if you're elsewhere. Another source I read said 3,000,000 baht is needed. The process does seem a little complicated and confusing and best to hire the service of a good lawyer such as from Indo-Siam Group.

So what about the visa? What comes first, the work permit or the Non-B visa? I'm not sure.

Will owning a few rental apartments in Bangkok be enough to obtain a business visa?

It depends on the value of the condo's. Investment in Thailand is good for a business visa and extensions of stay if the value is at least 10 million baht.

I'm suddenly wondering if it will be a problem getting a tourist visa since I have expired business visas in my passport. They might surmise that I am working and deny my request.

Should not be a problem. A lot of people apply for a tourist visa to look for work after they lose their job in Thailand.

Thanks Mario. I suppose the embassy is closed on the weekend? Meaning, if I can get into Laos tonight or tomorrow morning, even if I can get the initial work done on the visa on Friday I will have to stay until Monday or Tuesday to pick up the passport. Does that sound correct? My last day on my entry stamp is tomorrow so I gots to git me out of Thailand. I don't mind a few days in Laos but this boys on a tight budget as of late and any money I don't have to spend on hotels and frolicking is money well saved.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI...would like to add that I just returned from a 5th consecutive trip to Mae Sai. Border folk hadn't said anything to me nor written any comments in my passport on my last run so I figured I could try for 5 times. I indeed did get back into Thailand with 2 more weeks but I got some lip from the officers and was made to wait for 10 minutes but I was eventually granted entry and told that this was the last time and I would have to get a visa, and some scribbles were put next to my entry stamps in passport.