Help Identifying A Lizard

Sir Burr

Saw a lizard in a tree in my garden. Too far away to take a picture, I had to look at it through binoculars.

About a foot to a foot and a half in length. At first I thought it was a common Garden Fence lizard, but, it didn't have a crest.

Greenish in colour, but, the most distinctive thing about it was a bright green, triangular "flag" that was on it's throat. It lowers and raises it by means of a spine that is under it's head.

Anybody got any ideas?

saw one green one in the south at min. 1 meter long.

but could not make a picture.

The Thais first told me "small crocodile", but I am 200 % sure it was a lizard.

After telling them that lizard is not small crocodile, I got "same same but different".

Trying to ask one staff who comes from a small village in Isaan I only got "arroy" (taste good).

So zero info till now...

Saw a lizard in a tree in my garden. Too far away to take a picture, I had to look at it through binoculars.

About a foot to a foot and a half in length. At first I thought it was a common Garden Fence lizard, but, it didn't have a crest.

Greenish in colour, but, the most distinctive thing about it was a bright green, triangular "flag" that was on it's throat. It lowers and raises it by means of a spine that is under it's head.

Anybody got any ideas?

Take a look at this link. http://www.ecologyasia.com/html-menu/speci...st.htm#Reptilia

I thought it may have been the Green Crested Lizard but you said it didn't have a crest. There's also the Black Bearded Gliding Lizard with the throat spine you mention slighly smaller in length but the throat is black. The Gliding Lizards seem to match your description the best. The female Five Banded Gliding Lizard has a green flag with dark yellow spots. Unfortunately they aren't as long as you mentioned.

There's plenty of photos to browse through.

Edited by Farma

post-17093-1144303390_thumb.jpg My Krabi friend lost eight chickens recently and finally found this lizard killing one. It doesn't appear it will kill any more. He said it was over two feet long. Edited by Gary A

Thanks for all the responces.

I think I may have found out what it was by searching through Google Image.

It is definitely a gliding lizard as the males of these species all have the "dew-lap" as it's described as.

The most likely candidate seems to be a male Five-banded Gliding lizard.

Apparently, the green flag under it's chin is used to warn other gliding lizards to stay away as they are territorial.

The 1 mtr lizard that H90 describes is almost definitely a Water Monitor. The Thai's love to eat them. It's about the only lizard that I can think of that grows to this size.

post-17093-1144303390_thumb.jpg My Krabi friend lost eight chickens recently and finally found this lizard killing one. It doesn't appear it will kill any more. He said it was over two feet long.

Pity about that Gary ... Tell your friend that Zoo's in the west will

pay US 5,000 for a young healthy specimen. :o

Naka.

I think I may have found out what it was by searching through Google Image.

It is definitely a gliding lizard as the males of these species all have the "dew-lap" as it's described as.

The most likely candidate seems to be a male Five-banded Gliding lizard.

Apparently, the green flag under it's chin is used to warn other gliding lizards to stay away as they are territorial.

:o I searched through hundreds of files, but skipped over the "dracos' as you hadn't mentioned it being a flying lizard earlier. I had to go back and redo the material I skipped.

I've added a few of the dozens, and dozens, and dozens of various species of lizards indigenous to Thailand. Maybe your guy is one of these ?

The top 2 are dracos. Unfortunately, the sites I researched didn't have a lot of good shots of the dracos. Most looked almost identical to the one on the top-right.

Hope that helps ! :D

That was pretty jai dum to kill the lizard. It was only doing what is natural for it to do. Some people have zero respect for animals. 'Tis a pity.

Have you no compassion for the poor chickens? My friend apparently likes his chickens better than he likes lizards. :o

Have you no compassion for the poor chickens? My friend apparently likes his chickens better than he likes lizards. :D

Maybe he should raise lizards instead of chickens ? Probably a lot cleaner, quieter and easier to deal with ! (Probably wouldn't want to eat their eggs though)

Plus, fewer rodents, cats, dogs and kids wandering in and around your house :o

Hmmm, now that you mention it, do you have any idea where I could find lizards big enough to eat kids and dogs? :D

Maybe he should raise lizards instead of chickens ? Probably a lot cleaner, quieter and easier to deal with ! (Probably wouldn't want to eat their eggs though)

Plus, fewer rodents, cats, dogs and kids wandering in and around your house :o

A few months back I went outside to see what the neighbours were getting so excited about and they had scared one of them "chicken killer" lizards up a tree. Big bastard it was too.

Out came the artillery - slingshots, rocks and finally an air-rifle with a telescopic sight - to try and knock it back to the ground.

I didn't want to see such an impressive animal stoned or shot to death so I went back inside.

They did say, the next day, that it was "aloi maak".

A few months back I went outside to see what the neighbours were getting so excited about and they had scared one of them "chicken killer" lizards up a tree. Big bastard it was too.

Out came the artillery - slingshots, rocks and finally an air-rifle with a telescopic sight - to try and knock it back to the ground.

I didn't want to see such an impressive animal stoned or shot to death so I went back inside.

They did say, the next day, that it was "aloi maak".

Bet it tasted just like chicken. :o

Hmmm, now that you mention it, do you have any idea where I could find lizards big enough to eat kids and dogs? :o
This is an easy question: Komodo-island! The lizards from there are also good for sick- buffalo- nursing...

This may be an interesting business opportunity for some enterprising entrepreneur;

"ATTENTION" - Dragon rental, reasonable rates. Rid your neighborhood of irritating noisy kids, barking dogs and anything else the dragon can swallow.

Hmmm, now that you mention it, do you have any idea where I could find lizards big enough to eat kids and dogs? :o

This is an easy question: Komodo-island! The lizards from there are also good for sick- buffalo- nursing...

Hmmm, now that you mention it, do you have any idea where I could find lizards big enough to eat kids and dogs? :D

The Moderators' Forum? :D

:o Would they need work permits? :D

Does anyone know the name of the lizard the thais call ' cup care' or 'gup gare' because of the noise it makes, I hear it all the time at night in my GF village but have never seen one.

See this thread further down the list. Even has pictures of them;

Tookays (big Geckos)

Edited by Gary A

Does anyone know the name of the lizard the thais call ' cup care' or 'gup gare' because of the noise it makes, I hear it all the time at night in my GF village but have never seen one.

They are called Tokay Geckos and one of my favorites.

There’s been a few threads about them recently.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=64875&hl=tokay

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=46682&hl=tokay

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...ic=375&hl=tokay