"Plasti Dip" your ride !

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving serious consideration to doing my 99 VW GTI as a whole, the paint is tired and I'm fixing it up for short term use and then resale, think it is an easier option to wrapping and will have a better result in coverage of a poor paint finish that has the clear coat thinning.

You want to do a whole car in Plasti tint? I'm thinking a wrap will be a lot cheaper!!

I don't think a quality wrap will be cheaper. And if someone keys a plastidip it should be easy to touch-up. You have to replace the whole sheet if someone keys a wrap. With a spare can on the stuff, touchups look to be easy to do.

Agreed and the process of wrapping is considerably more labor intensive for a similar result and purpose, less in this case because of the current clear coat problem there is a potential issue with the wrap not bonding well and the the imperfections still showing through. Actually as I mentioned in the end I feel sure the plasti-dip would save a lot of time and hassle potentially with a better result..

If you want to do it on the cheap, shoot it with colored primer. A decent shop can tint to the color you want and you get rretty much the same effect. Real easy to shoot as well.

Not likely, primer always looks like primer and besides the same issues are present as it won't coat well, primer is not a filler and is very thin and plasti-dip can also be coated to have a shine.

If you want to do it on the cheap, shoot it with colored primer. A decent shop can tint to the color you want and you get rretty much the same effect. Real easy to shoot as well.

Not likely, primer always looks like primer and besides the same issues are present as it won't coat well, primer is not a filler and is very thin and plasti-dip can also be coated to have a shine.

Might be worth doing the hood first and leave it a month or two. See how it holds up. I've seen it blasted with a power washer (which you wouldn't normally do anyway) and it stays on fine. I'm tempted to get a few cans and do my wheels. How's blaze yellow with a blue swift? 555

Might be worth doing the hood first and leave it a month or two. See how it holds up. I've seen it blasted with a power washer (which you wouldn't normally do anyway) and it stays on fine. I'm tempted to get a few cans and do my wheels. How's blaze yellow with a blue swift? 555

Wait, do you mean primer or plasti-dip?

The only problem with doing that way is you'd have to redo the hood again as it will have faded some versus the rest of the car when you do the whole thing..

Do it....and show us the results(photos)....I think,it's a really good idea,but it also depends on the application and color.Can't do the whole car with the spray can.....;)

The problem is,that this stuff is not cheep here...I did my friend's truck wheels in US and it came out great...but it costs only $6/can in Home Depot....

Do it....and show us the results(photos)....I think,it's a really good idea,but it also depends on the application and color.Can't do the whole car with the spray can.....wink.png

The problem is,that this stuff is not cheep here...I did my friend's truck wheels in US and it came out great...but it costs only $6/can in Home Depot....

Yeah I'm thinking about doing that but it won't be too soon I'm slammed now. Price there is an issue on a lot of similar things as is sourcing, with this though check out the link I posted there's a whole set of linked videos and you might order a kit and have it shipped it would be worth it but you'd likely have to buy a transformer over there to use the sprayer that comes with the kit.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Wait, do you mean primer or plasti-dip?

The only problem with doing that way is you'd have to redo the hood again as it will have faded some versus the rest of the car when you do the whole thing..

The plastidip...would it fade that much over a month or so? Just leave it long enough to see how it holds up in the rain and dust.

Do it....and show us the results(photos)....I think,it's a really good idea,but it also depends on the application and color.Can't do the whole car with the spray can.....wink.png

Yeah I'm thinking about doing that but it won't be too soon I'm slammed now. Price there is an issue on a lot of similar things as is sourcing, with this though check out the link I posted there's a whole set of linked videos and you might order a kit and have it shipped it would be worth it but you'd likely have to buy a transformer over there to use the sprayer that comes with the kit.

Just saw a video of a plastidipped car. Problem was the paint was dark and the plastidip was light, so they couldn't cover the original paint properly. They ended up mixing up some horrible purple colour, only to peel it off afterwards. So if your car is dark it might take a lot of plastidip to cover it, , or use a dark plastidip colour.

It's not, it's bright red. In the heavy sun like we have, very much like Thailand it's likely to fade quite a bit, it's amazing how much fading occurs in the first few weeks to a few months depending on color but since it all happens uniformly in most cases it's not noticed, all coverings fade more when their new until fully cured and then they settle in to what you'll have for years.

But especially a horizontal surface like the hood against the rest of the car will likely show some noticeable difference.

Edited by WarpSpeed

If you thinking about ordering the kit from 'dipyour..',forget it,they can't ship overseas....you have to source it here,which makes it much more difficult and pricey...800-850Baht/can...and how much per gallon?

Edited by funcat

That has not been my experience. Primer surfacer is a filler and primer can be coated to have a shine as well.

The shine is what shows the dents and dings, that's why beat-up cars look better flat,

Go with the plastic, I’m sure it will be great.

I agree with the shine being a catalyst for showing dents and such but it depends more on color then merely just shine.. Gloss black for instance forget it but many other colors not so much, plus i'm going to add a color to the rub strip so it grabs the eye more taking away from any imperfections on the larger panels..

Edited by WarpSpeed

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to be conscious of if you do your rims, did you clean off the residual on the lug seats? If not, when the wheel gets hot it will soften the plasti-dip and the lugs will loosen as you have tightened them on top of what was once a seemingly hard material, you should clean off the seats to bare metal after plasti-dipping or painting too for that matter..

I didn't. Good idea though. I should do it. Actually have to redo on wheel. Had a puncture, and the clerk taking my wheel off handled it a bit rough..

• 4 months later...

Very nice result...I blacked out all the chrome on my PJS (I don't like chrome). Easy process, just takes a few hours because it has to dry in between coats smile.png

I am of the same opinion about chrome, and would like to try this stuff out. Any tips you can lend?

• 1 year later...