Songkran Water Festival Death Toll Continues To Rise

george

Thailand's Songkran water festival death toll continues to rise

BANGKOK: -- Road accidents during the Thai traditional New Year "Songkran" holidays claimed 68 lives on Friday and Saturday, while the number of injured stood at 810, fewer than earlier projections, thanks to a 10-day annual media campaign aiming at reducing road fatalities.

Songkran, Thailand's traditional 'water festival', is a time of traditional festivity and celebration which is now characterised by long journeys back to hometowns and too much consumption of alcohol, in tandem with driving.

The long Songkran holiday is notorious for its high casualties from road accidents as a large number of Thais, particularly those who work in the capital, Bangkok, usually travel to reunite with their families upcountry to celebrate the water festival.

Caretaker Interior Minister Kongsak Wanthana, in his capacity as deputy director of Thailand's National Road Safety Centre, said Sunday that the number of deaths from road accidents on Saturday stood at 38, bringing the death toll in two days since Friday to 68, while the number of injuries reached 496 or 16 lower than projected. There were a total of 731 road accidents, including 445 accidents on Saturday.

Air Chief Marshal Kongsak said the leading causes of road accidents were driving while under the influence of alcohol, speeding and cutting in front of other vehicles.

Motorcycles were involved in most road accidents, followed by pick-up trucks and passenger cars. Most accidents occurred during 4pm-8pm, a time frame of often heavier traffic combined with difficult or deceptive lighting at sundown.

The northern province of Chiang Mai topped the death toll chart with the highest number of fatalities, with five during the first two days of the 10-day Songkran "crisis" period, followed by Chachoengsao with four fatalities; while Kanchanaburi, Phichit, Phetchaburi, Lop Buri and Si Sa Ket recorded three deaths each.

Thirty-four provinces, including Bangkok, have been casualty-free so far.

The Centre aims to reduce this year's death toll by at least 15 per cent.

--TNA 2006-04-09

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The northern province of Chiang Mai topped the death toll chart with the highest number of fatalities, with five during the first two days of the 10-day Songkran "crisis" period,

--TNA 2006-04-09

Not surprised given the rapid deterioration in driving quality here over the last 2 weeks, plus the increase in out of town registrations over the last 2 days.

The hot weather also appears to be taking it's toll on tempers too, with regular incidents of either passive-aggression or direct-aggression - particularly towards motorbikes squeezing between traffic ...... have had to apply the size 9 to a door or front wing 3 times in the last 5 days, and my thumb is never away from the horn button.

...... oh to be a traffic cop ;-)

Air Chief Marshal Kongsak said the leading causes of road accidents were driving while under the influence of alcohol, speeding and cutting in front of other vehicles.

--TNA 2006-04-09

So what is new?

I have always wondered how many per weekend / week is the normal?

So what is the delta?

I was in Chiang Mai last weekend, used a motorcycle to get around, the driving seemed no different to London driving, infact I would say the road users were more motorcycle aware if anything.

Must be dumb motorcyclists.

I wish and pray that everyone will reach their destination safety on the going and return journey. Don't drive when you have drink more than 5 glass for the sake of your safety and other. God bless all.

"Gonna be driving through Chiang Mai to Lampang in the next couple of days!! I'll be on alert! I'll probably only have to use my horn a mere 1- 2 thousand times!!!!"

Yep - I still honk at anything that moves. Wife thinks I am a nut. She keeps saying "One of these days you are gonna get shot" & "I am not going to do or say a thing"

"Your mother will have to come get your dead body"

Size 9 to the door ?- Haven't had to do that yet. 2 bikes & a car. Sometimes fantasize about ripping off someone's wing mirror, someone driving with one wheel over the white line.

Edited by dotcom

--TNA 2006-04-09

No casualties in 34 provinces, including Bangkok????

Reckon all the bad ones have gone north! :o

I think the Emphasis here needs to be that Drinking and Driving is Bad, not The Water Festival. Too many times people try to Kill the Fun in Life, by putting the Focus on the activities as being the "Cause" when actually the Cause of these Deaths is more because of the ignorance and stupidity of the people who think it is okay to Drink and Drive.

Songkran is such a Unique festival, not only for Thailand, but many people around the World look to Thailand during this Festival. Even Yahoo is featuring Ads with Pictures of Pretty Thai Girls shooting a Water Pistol during this Time.

Many people who can't be there, are wishing they were, all around the World. It is a Celebration that is hailed and respected by many around the world because it is so Unique and different, and if you have ever participated you know it is a Blast as well! :o:D

So while every holiday has stupid people doing stupid things that get people killed or hurt, we should try to maintain our Focus, so as not to taint the festival itself, but focus on the real cause of the problems which were drinking and driving.

While many things in Thailand have improved over the years, bad driving habits have not.

Every time I return to Thailand for a visit and hop in a taxi or bus or am taken around the country, I thank my lucky stars that I am still alive when I board the plane home.

Drivers in Thailand seem to follow the "what not to do" driving handbook: constantly changing lanes, cutting in front of others, squeezing into lanes not designated for traffic, riding on sidewalks, speeding up for pedestrians, driving over the speed limit and making risky passes on two lane highways.

Prime Minister Taksin pointed the finger at traffic accidents as one of Thailand's top three serious health problems, in terms of burden of disease. He said that 30% of inpatient beds of the hospitals under the Thai Ministry of Public Health are occupied by road traffic accident victims. And each year there are more than 13,000 deaths, more than one million injuries, and tens of thousands of disabilities from road accidents. In 2002, social and economic losses resulting from motorized transport deaths and injuries in Thailand amounted to some 2.13 per cent of the country’s GDP.

http://terrance.who.int/mediacentre/realvi..._Shinawatra.ram

Compare that to 42,800 traffic deaths in the United States in 2004...a country with 5 times the population and with many more cars per capita than Thailand

In view of the concerns of the Prime minister, I wonder why nothing much seems to have been done to bring some order and discipline to a chaotic situation...other than some helpful but cosmetic changes like wearing seatbelts , motorcycle helmets and adding more lanes to freeways?

Driving habits in Thailand are as bad as they ever were..in my opinion.

Edited by egeefay

.. I think the Emphasis here needs to be that Drinking and Driving is Bad, not The Water Festival.
True,

but basically an increase in traffic = an increase in the accident rate, it's a matter of numbers.

He said Chiang Mai, with 5, recorded the highest number of deaths, followed by Chachoengsao, 4. Five provinces _ Kanchanaburi, Phichit, Phetchaburi, Lop Buri and Si Sa Ket _ recorded 3 deaths each over the past two days.

The highest number of injuries were reported in Trang, Nakhon Pathom and Bangkok, with 29 each

Bangkok Post 10/4

--TNA 2006-04-09

Thats strange I could have sworn I went to 5 accidents last night!?? Maybe it was a dream and thats why Im off to bed at 8am in the morning!? hmm????? :o

--TNA 2006-04-09

So what is new?

So what is the delta?

Excuse me for copying and pasting my own data previously posted but it may answer your question.

Daily injuries in Thailand is about 2000, in Songkran it jumps to around 8000 (Fatalities from 30 daily to 100+, EG: Songkran 2001 over 5 day period 40,000 injuries and 570 deaths)

But personally I blame 80% of injuries/deaths on alcohol 60%(of 100%) on drunk driving!

--TNA 2006-04-09

So what is new?

So what is the delta?

The facts are that no one really knows how many are killed as the way the accidents (deaths) are recorded is by "by guess and by god" i.e. if you are alive when you get to the hospital and die after it is not considered a traffic related death.

Not too long ago the guess-timate was that 2 people are killed on the realms roads 24/7 so when you now see it being reported that around 1.5 per/hour it's gotta be someone from dreamland quoting the figures.

The simple facts are that Thai's cannot drive when sober let alone when they are drunk.

Also not too long ago the figure of 2 people an hour committing suicide in Bangkok alone was being published.

Edited by john b good

BANGKOK: -- Road accidents during the Thai traditional New Year "Songkran" holidays claimed 68 lives on Friday and Saturday, while the number of injured stood at 810, fewer than earlier projections, thanks to a 10-day annual media campaign aiming at reducing road fatalities.

What is that crap about ? For there seem to be no laws in Thailands traffic, especially not about how to obtain a driver's license that really qualifies you participating in traffic, it is a wonder to me that there are not much more casualties.

What people need to learn the most is e.g. to look before changing lanes or before driving over or crossing a junction / crossroads !!!!!

But what shall we expect in a country, where they prefer to built U-turns and that way to increase not only jams but mainly the danger (e.g. right lane = fast lane, but suddenly there is a jam on that lane due to another U-turn) and where the engineers simply lack the intelligence to plan traffic flow efficiently. The whole traffic system here, at least in Bangkok, is and was made in an extremely stupid way, there are so many examples for that kind of stupidity; so why complain?

The death toll is hard to calculate because in many accidents the police and hospitals aren't involved. In some areas, people are taken directly to the temples, since they are obviously dead.

I also find it amusing that they attribute the causes without really knowing. Virtually none of these people are given a breathalyzer or blood test to determine blood-alcohol content. If they are drunk and have an accident, then the insurance doesn't have to pay.

Hope the numbers stay low, though.

Gonna be driving through Chiang Mai to Lampang in the next couple of days!! I'll be on alert! I'll probably only have to use my horn a mere 1- 2 thousand times!!!!

================================================================

I'll probably only have to use my horn a mere 1- 2 thousand times!!!!

It's good to note, how "well" you have adapted to the Thai Life Style . . . . . . . . . .

[Thai's rarely use their car-horns, since it is (obviously) "confrontational"]

Hve a quiet Song-Krahn.

:o

What is that crap about ? For there seem to be no laws in Thailands traffic, especially not about how to obtain a driver's license that really qualifies you participating in traffic, it is a wonder to me that there are not much more casualties.

What people need to learn the most is e.g. to look before changing lanes or before driving over or crossing a junction / crossroads !!!!!

But what shall we expect in a country, where they prefer to built U-turns and that way to increase not only jams but mainly the danger (e.g. right lane = fast lane, but suddenly there is a jam on that lane due to another U-turn) and where the engineers simply lack the intelligence to plan traffic flow efficiently. The whole traffic system here, at least in Bangkok, is and was made in an extremely stupid way, there are so many examples for that kind of stupidity; so why complain?

==============================================================

You may be a 'newby' and you may be a little antagonistic; but your are right !

The problem in Thailand is simple: there are perfectly good and sensible laws in place, but these are not always (or rarely) enforced. In other words; on the high-ways in this wondrous land, the "fast-lane" is more than often the "slow-lane" and vice versa. I gues it has do with with this darn "losing-face" phenomena ? A Thai in a decent car would not wnat to be found dead in the "slow-lane", so he happily motors there at a speed much more suitable for the "slow-lane".

As far as design and planning of road-systems; you're right again; someone ought to take these "planners" overseas, to show them how things should be done !

:o

A couple of observations....

Yes the Thai traffic engineers certainly design roads that are a lot less safe than most western countries. But not intelligent? The infamous U-turn is used because it is cheaper than building the flyovers and bridges needed for a 2-way interchange on a dual carriageway road. I'm sure they are well aware of the safety aspects.

As for Song Khran death toll...some one asked what the norm was, and it reminded me that in the UK at Christmas, the road death/casualty figures are actually lower than usual. This being the result of a quarter of a century campaigning by successive govts. The main time in UK is the summer when people are tempted to drink after work in some beer garden before driving home in the twilight.

As for fast lane and slow lane ....they don't exist in UK...they have a very simple rule....stay in the right hand lane unless overtaking. This does not mean the middle lane or anywhere else but the right hand lane... all other lanes are for passing only! Contrary to popular belief undertaking is legal in the UK too! It just isn't usually necessary or justifiable - I.E. "due care and attention"...

Khon Kaen governor trying to keep accidents from drunk-driving in his province down

Khon Kaen Governor Chet Thanawat (เจตน์ ธนวัฒน์) last night led his accident prevention and mitigation delegation to inspect the work of officials throughout the province.

The governer started at Khon Kaen bus terminal, checking the alcohol level in all coach drivers. One driver was found to have alcohol in his blood, and he was switched with a different driver despite his alcohol level not exceeding the legal limit. The governer then paid visit to the checkpoint in front of the command center of the Khon Kaen highway police, and found a few drivers stopped at the checkpoint to have excessive alcohol levels.

Khon Kaen province, over the first two days of the "10 dangerous days" period, was host to 12 accidents, which contributed to 11 injuries and 1 fatality.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 April 2006

...but none by drowning. :o

I wouldn't laugh too hard, as there are always a few "floaters" in the klong at the end of the count..

Not specifically related - but when i took my driving test in chiang mai (to reduce the potential fine when stopped!) all i was required to do was to tell the difference between red and green. I passed!!

Maybe there is natural colour blindness; and possibley drivers feel that the helpful white lines on the road are there to guide the driver - the good drivers accurately driving with the white line exactly between the tyres!

...but none by drowning. :o

I wouldn't laugh too hard, as there are always a few "floaters" in the klong at the end of the count..

Not specifically related - but when i took my driving test in chiang mai (to reduce the potential fine when stopped!) all i was required to do was to tell the difference between red and green. I passed!!

Maybe there is natural colour blindness; and possibley drivers feel that the helpful white lines on the road are there to guide the driver - the good drivers accurately driving with the white line exactly between the tyres!

Maybe, just maybe RELAX, people are drinking and driving!!!, consider every one a drunk, and YELLING AT THEM MAKES IT WORSE, the biggest idiots are the "I AM SMARTER THAN YOU!" drivers.

GO SLOW. BE CAREFUL. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD PEOPLE ARE DYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for fast lane and slow lane ....they don't exist in UK...they have a very simple rule....stay in the right hand lane unless overtaking. This does not mean the middle lane or anywhere else but the right hand lane... all other lanes are for passing only!

For "right", read "left". :o

Contrary to popular belief undertaking is legal in the UK too! It just isn't usually necessary or justifiable - I.E. "due care and attention"...

Technically true, in the sense that the Highway Code isn't law itself. But the courts do take failure to observe the HC into account.

FWIW, the HC tells drivers to overtake only on the right, except: a. on one-way streets; b. when someone's waiting in the middle of the road to turn right; c. when traffic's moving slowly in queues and the queue to the right's moving more slowly. (Although I think they've now updated c. to take into account fast-moving, busy motorways like the M25 Orbital round London.)