'Al-Qaeda' Video Threatening Thaksin's Life Dismissed As Fake

Lite Beer

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched most of the video last night before it was taken down, and what I saw was in Arabic. It appears that they also used English as well. But no Thai??

I wonder if there are any native Arabic speakers that could shed some light on the dialect or region where this might have been made. Could it have been an older video with some dubbing to change the wording?

You don't have to be a native speaker for that. There are a lot of experts on everything Arab at the board. I am sure we will soon here from them.

Lt.Gen. Paradorn Pattanatabutr, secretary-general of the National Security Council, told Khaosod that the "amateurish" video is clearly not a work of Al-Qaeda or any other Islamist organization.

Wondered how they decided so quickly that it is a fake.

Or is it just that they desperately want it to be a fake?

"The people who made this clip are no other than the same group who want to overthrow Mr. Thaksin," Lt.Gen. Paradorn declared.

As has been already posted. How do you "overthrow" a convicted criminal on the run?

The secretary-general added that the ongoing insurgency in the Southern border provinces is also not connected to Al-Qaeda or Mr. Thaksin. In fact, he said, it concerns the Thai authorities and local separatists.

Considering that those doing the killing in the south have stated clearly that they are doing it in retaliation for Tak Bai then that one would have to be another lie that is easy to prove.

They are saying now on facebook that the one in the middle has been identified as an Al-Qaeda leader.

If this is true then so much for the fake bit.

Something seems missing from the new report -- wasn't the government official supposed to say that they were already on track in finding the pranksters so that they can be brought to justice? I mean, I THOUGHT it was fake, but for the government not to make the customary "they are going to pay for this prank" warning kind of makes it seem like they may be dealing with a real threat.

The Thai news papers weren't very quick to come out with the news either -- took a while. Perhaps they were debriefed on what they should and should NOT say to the public, because if you read the English Thai news articles the way they are reporting is oddly strange for such a 'fake'. You can almost sense the cover-up.

Damn, now it's just gotten scarier.

Edited by theajarn

They say it’s fake but what happens if it did turn out to be real surely they would look stupid after what they come out with saying its fake also didn’t take them long to come out in the first place to saying it’s fake .. Nothing really amazes me these days over here in the land of smiles ..

Edited by Notstupid30

A rather creative display from the Islamic extremists. Especially the stand-in for the English bit with the guts not to mask himself. His theatrical movements while the narrator was speaking reminds me of the kung <deleted> movies dubbed in English. Almost 'Team America'-ish. Only thing missing is the musical Kim Jong Il.

Also love the sheet or carpet hanging off the rock wall and the zoom to show that it was in fact hanging from an outdoor wall. At first I thought it was filmed at some house on Sukhumvit or their outdoor garden.

Nice production guys!

I'm no expert but it does not appear to be a hoax or a joke.The fact they are reposting it faster than youtube can remove it shows they are serious.

No, it shows they have connections with YT though. How many beheadings et al have been on YT with 'removal due to violent content'? In fact, how many times was this farce re-uploaded in the space of just one day?

"Dead Squads" laugh.png Pidgin Thai. Really, what with this and little sis's 'beauty show', you couldn't make this place up.

Fascinating.

Whilst I dislike Thaksin, I hate terrorism with a vengeance AQ in particular.

1. If it's real, why did it take so long for them to come out?

2. If it's a joke then it's not really that funny

3. Is it possibly an attempt to out Thaksin's past deeds back in the public eye?

4. Is there a more domestic plan to assassinate him and use this to deflect the blame?

5. Is it a cry for attention (again!)?

I await the analysis of this recording, as well as the reporting of the international press.

One thing that wouldn't surprise me though would be a call by his opponents to have him answer to his crimes as Abhisit and Suthep are now doing.

• Like 2

Thing is, even if it is fake, it could give some jihadi nutter with a desire for fame ideas. Thaksin is hiding from justice in an Islamic country and anyone listening in Arabic there might not know the video is fake. The crimes it outlines are genuine, there is always the chance some loon will act upon this video.

Edited by Bluespunk

Thing is, even if it is fake, it could give some jihadi nutter with a desire for fame ideas. Thaksin is hiding from justice in an Islamic country and anyone listening in Arabic there might not know the video is fake. The crimes it outlines are genuine, there is always the chance some loon will act upon this video.

So you did understand the "Arabic" part?

I watched most of the video last night before it was taken down, and what I saw was in Arabic. It appears that they also used English as well. But no Thai??

I wonder if there are any native Arabic speakers that could shed some light on the dialect or region where this might have been made. Could it have been an older video with some dubbing to change the wording?

You don't have to be a native speaker for that. There are a lot of experts on everything Arab at the board. I am sure we will soon here from them.

Could they origin from Dubai, payed by the man in Dubai?

So you did understand the "Arabic" part?

Nope. Just accepting the OP that was threat aimed at thaksin, even if it was a fake threat. The little Arabic I do speak from my time in kuwait isn't good enough to understand Arabic spoken that quickly.

That's because they don't want Thaksin to know they are after him, silly.smile.png They are Al-Qaeda and not the DSI they don't broadcast they will be popping around at 3.45 p.m on Thursday after next to arrest you or take you out.

Why should they speak Thai? The narrative of the video is that they are foreign Muslim friends of an non-Thai minority allegedly suppressed by Thaksin. the maker of the video probably think that two international languages are enough to transport that message.

Why should they speak Thai? The narrative of the video is that they are foreign Muslim friends of an non-Thai minority allegedly suppressed by Thaksin. the maker of the video probably think that two international languages are enough to transport that message.

There are approx 7 million Muslims living in Thailand, of whom around 1.4 million are living the deep South. They are Thai nationals, not a non-Thai minority.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Where can I see the video? I would like to form my own opinion as to

whether or not it is fake, rather than relying upon a " Top intelligence official ".

I don't know if these guys are for real or not but the AK47s appear to be authentic. Especially the one hanging on the guy in the middle at the end of the video.

Edited by Scott

There are approx 7 million Muslims living in Thailand, of whom around 1.4 million are living the deep South. They are Thai nationals, not a non-Thai minority.

The ethnic and cultural roots of the minority in the south i was speaking about are non-thai roots. They also speak Bahasa Melayu as first language/mother tongue and not Thai.

I didn't say that all the Muslims in Thailand are a non-thai minority.

The conflict is also not a religious conflict but rather a cultural minority thing.

Edited by antfish

I am sure Thaksin has seen this at some point by now and since he's a long time resident of the Emirates, I would like to think he has learned sufficient Arabic to help him when ordering his Hummus, Shawarma and Manakeesh.

Where can I see the video? I would like to form my own opinion as to

whether or not it is fake, rather than relying upon a " Top intelligence official ".

I don't know if these guys are for real or not but the AK47s appear to be authentic. Especially the one hanging on the guy in the middle at the end of the video.

So does this one , only it shoots with plastic pelletsARM-AK47-AEG1.jpg

Edited by Scott

Just noticed that the other newspaper has NSC Paradorn saying it's made by the anti-government white mask group. Furthermore legal advisor Noppadon has 'Thaksin is uncornerned'

And of course PM Yingluck declined to answer questions

• Like 1