Left card behind in ATM again ? Is it only me ?

roamer

35 years of using ATMs I've never done it. Had my card eaten once, does that count?

Same here, never done it. Is TV populated by a bunch of senile old geezers who can't even remember to remove an ATM card from the machine? Appears so.

if you don't want to get old jump now

35 years of using ATMs I've never done it. Had my card eaten once, does that count?

Same here, never done it. Is TV populated by a bunch of senile old geezers who can't even remember to remove an ATM card from the machine? Appears so.

• Like 1

I did it several times in my first couple of years here.

You know the system could never be changed here so you have to get your card before getting your money, which is how the rest of the world does it.

Face would be lost by admitting that the rest of the world does it correctly, and you don't.

I don't lose my cards any longer, but my friends do, and others when they visit.

I think Soap Opera Drama, is the preferred way.

Hey, I've already apologized for jumping the gun. Besides, I'm already old....well, not that old.

It must be "One of the five signs you will get Alzheimer's".whistling.gif

Don't forget the sixth, forgetting how to spell the word orchid, typically comes with early onset. tongue.png

"Orchis is a genus in the orchid family (Orchidaceae). This genus gets its name from the Ancient Greek ὄρχις orchis, meaning "testicle", from the appearance of the paired subterranean tuberoids."

Ah, so you're a testicle then, got it.

I draw cash from a Thai Military Bank ATM which is closer than the nearest Bangkok Bank ATM. I always request a receipt when I draw cash as a result of which the card is returned before the receipt is issued. The same machine did retain my card once which involved a dash back to my condo to get my passport before I could get my card back.

Alan

the bane of my bloody life the daft order of thai ATM's - cash then card - <deleted>?

first time it happened i ordered a new card from my uk bank which duly arrived and i went to get some cash out and ... yes, left it in the machine.

i guess over the last 10 years i've left about 8 cards in the ATM here.

btw - there is no point trying to recover it from the banks in my experience. there is a routine where the cards are removed from the ATMs and returned to that bank's head office in BKK, and theoretically you should be able to claim it there and in naive hope i tried those first two times and it was hopeless.

Bangkok Bank gave me the card in a plastic sleeve. I make sure I'm holding the sleeve while transacting. If I left the card in the ATM, the sleeve would be a hint.

And I think the logic (I may be wrong here) is in case you want to do another transaction.

If u leave it sticking out of the machine long enough im pretty sure it eats it yeh

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not so.

Yes it does. Maybe not all ATM's but happened a number of times to me already. Twice when I was down there in Bangkok and once up here in the sticks. Was standing there in front of the machine counting my money when without warning my card disappeared. I now make sure I remove my card before counting the money.

With the frequent incidents of ATMs being rigged with cameras and card-slot loops it really is common sense to engage brain before going near any of them.

Cover the slot when putting your card in, if there is a loop it's going to catch or skim the card anyway but covering the card with your hand is not hard and adds more protection than it takes in effort. Likewise cover your hand when typing the PIN, I also wipe my hand across the keypad so although a hidden camera might be blocked by my hand any hairspray on the keypad won't reveal the numbers I typed.

If the ATM acts strange or someone happens to be nearby to "help" you the alarm bells should be ringing and you need to respond by assuming that the ATM is rigged and test the panels - lift off any skimming plates.

http://www.westseattleherald.com/2010/11/20/news/card-skimmers-rig-atms-identity-theft

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00659/news-graphics-2008-_659253a.gif

http://lifehacker.com/5221255/know-how-to-spot-an-atm-skimmer

In the 18th Century a wise person needed to know to check if the pig they bought in a sack was a pig or a cat - these days your common sense education means knowing about ATMs, scam-emails and if "I love you" really means "I love your money"

Develop a five step process you use EVERY time you touch an ATM and count them off on your fingers, the last step being do I have everything ?

With the frequent incidents of ATMs being rigged with cameras and card-slot loops it really is common sense to engage brain before going near any of them.

Cover the slot when putting your card in, if there is a loop it's going to catch or skim the card anyway but covering the card with your hand is not hard and adds more protection than it takes in effort. Likewise cover your hand when typing the PIN, I also wipe my hand across the keypad so although a hidden camera might be blocked by my hand any hairspray on the keypad won't reveal the numbers I typed.

If the ATM acts strange or someone happens to be nearby to "help" you the alarm bells should be ringing and you need to respond by assuming that the ATM is rigged and test the panels - lift off any skimming plates.

http://www.westseattleherald.com/2010/11/20/news/card-skimmers-rig-atms-identity-theft

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00659/news-graphics-2008-_659253a.gif

http://lifehacker.com/5221255/know-how-to-spot-an-atm-skimmer

In the 18th Century a wise person needed to know to check if the pig they bought in a sack was a pig or a cat - these days your common sense education means knowing about ATMs, scam-emails and if "I love you" really means "I love your money"

Develop a five step process you use EVERY time you touch an ATM and count them off on your fingers, the last step being do I have everything ?

Good advice. There are already so many ways to get ripped off at an ATM without adding a self-inflicted-wound such as leaving your card in the machine. No amount of design or technology can protect people from themselves.

Actually, considering that Thailand ATM machines nearly all use very old and vulnerable technology, it's surprising that there isn't a lot more ATM fraud here.

You always want to stay at the machine until the whole transaction is finished. Losing your card is one thing, loosing all the money from your account hurts more.

whistling.gif Did it only once about a month ago.

I was in a rush, took my money and forgot my card.

ATM was in a shopping mall. Was a food shop next door. Apparently the food shop attendant heard the beeping and retrieved my card. Informed the security right away, who took my card.

In less than 5 minutes I realized I didn't have my card, so rushed back to that same ATM.

The attendant at the food shop saw me looking for the card, told me she had given it to security.

Went to look for it at security, and luckily I happened to have my passport with me.

Showed my passport to security and they returned ATM card to me.

Took me to the ATM for me to verify that no money had been taken, by checking the balance.

When I agreed no funds were missing they asked me to sign security log as proof and then released ATM card to me.

Apparently it happens quite often, so they had a preset procedure they used.

If I had not returned to pick up my card before that mall closed for the day, the security chief would have notified my Thai bank who would have then picked up my card the next day and the bank would have notified me they had it at the bank where I could claim it.

A Bangkok Bank card by the way.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

Has not happened to me YET... But I did learn a lesson from it happening to others. Before I leave the ATM, I count 3 items:

1). The card.

2). The money

3). The receipt

After going through this 1,2,3 steps check-list, I leave the machine and go on my marry way. And believe me I am VERY deliberate in my check-list. Hopefully you can adopt my system and never again forget the card in the machine.

• Like 1

This has only happened once to me & fortunately the next person inline realised what I had done & chaced me to return it.

Another drama I had was years ago in Brunei. Coming from AUS I was used to putting dollars & cents into the ATM. I did the same this time & fortunately it came back as "amount too large for transaction". I had asked for 100Xthe amount I intended!!

Never... ATM rules: card, money, no distraction.

Can't be much simpler, can it?!? whistling.gif

• Like 1

Yep done it here twice, first time my Swiss bank who would not send a replacement to me here, you can imagine what I think of them and if I still bank with them. Second was my UK account and it took two weeks to get the replacement. Luckily had another account and card.

I did it in Romania too as the procedure is the same but some lovely lady ran after me and handed it to me.

Never... ATM rules: card, money, no distraction.

Can't be much simpler, can it?!? whistling.gif

Obviously you are far more used to the way that ATMs work here. It is easy to become a creature of habit when the way ATMs work is different in Europe and other countries. Not everyone on here is senile or old, you are just a bit "perfect".

I have never forgotten my card but

when I use an ATM I never put my cards holder away till I get my card back.

I keep it in my hand then I know before I put it back in my pocket if I returned the card or not.

Of course this will not work for folks who just carry loose cards in their pocket ..

Hey I was one of them for many years smile.png

Because I hate fat wallets. Then my wife gave me one of those thin card holders holds like 6 cards

Edited by mania