Settlement Visa For Cambodian Wife.

I'm living in Thailand with my Cambodian wife (married about 10 months) and soon intend to return to the UK. The UK embassy in Cambodia is unable to process visa applications for Cambodian nationals and they are refered to the UK embassy in Bangkok.

Anybody out there taken a Cambodian wife back to the uk? In theory it should be the same as for a Thai yes?

The UK embassy web site in Cambodia states that

"The UK embassy in Phnom Phen does not issue visas, all applications are processed at the UK embassy Bangkok. However, applications 'can' be lodged and sent to thailand by courier....."

However, on another page they say that "all applications for a settlement visa 'must' be lodged in Phnom Penh".

And then if we go to the UK embassy Bangkok website under the do i need a visa section, it says

'If you are a national or are normally living in Cambodia please make your application (settlement visa) to the UK embassy Bangkok',

which is as clear as mud. Looks like i will need to contact them.

I had the same problems trying to get a certificate of non-impediment which was eventually issued in Thailand and re-issued in Cambodia.

Thanks for the reply Dragonman.

If your wife is ordinarily resident in Thailand, the embassy in BKK should accept her settlement application. Even if she isn't, it's worthwhile contacting the embassy and pointing out to them that it appears pointless to travel to Cambodia to lodge an application which will then be determined in Thailand which is where the applicant lives.

The rules are the same irrespective of the applicant's nationality.

Scouse.

That sounds like good advice, my wife has been living here with me for the last 10 months and going back to Cambodia every 3 months for a new visa, so it would be a lot easier for the both of us to go to BKK.

Cheers Scouse.

I think i will need a bit of luck. However as the old saying goes,'you make your own luck'