Why do tourists constantly try to sit on other peoples bikes....

Scottythai

I am at a loss for words. Seems like every time I park my bike and go to see friends or go out and have a few beers when ever I come back outside there are always people sitting on my or my friends bikes. Sometimes it will be 3 or 4 people sitting on them while their friends take pictures. The thing that gets me if one of them knocked over a bike they would scatter like Cockroaches and you are left with the damage. And not trying to knock anyone but it always seems to be a group of people from one country. Anyone ever get this a lot as well?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe they are just hanging out hoping to catch a pic of you riding home pissed

Stopping for a meal and a beer means I get pissed? Don't ride drunk and I live in Bangkok so riding is a big enough challenge. But keep the speculation up if it makes you happy.

All the time, even when im going up a mountain with a tourist in the back of a truck.

Ive since learned to roll with it and smile and pose. Japanese chicks are hot !

What group are you referring too? Around here it's generally Thai's that seem to think it's Ok to lounge on someone else's ride.

Well cat be out of the bag it's never Thai's. Not once have a seen a Thai sit on my bike. I always find it to be Indians (not the American ones)

What group are you referring too? Around here it's generally Thai's that seem to think it's Ok to lounge on someone else's ride.

Well cat be out of the bag it's never Thai's. Not once have a seen a Thai sit on my bike. I always find it to be Indians (not the American ones)

Have to agree with BSJ on this one. Always Thai's. Foreigners know better.

• Like 2

Never had an Indian on my bike - what kind of bike is it?

One time a Thai tourist lady came over and wanted to take a pic posing on my Versys ... while next to me was parked a Triumph Street Triple and a gorgeous Yamaha R1.... she clearly didn't know very much about bikes 555

• Like 1

I've had them stand by my bike and take a photo and at most lay a hand on the bike while posing for the shot. No biggy and I think most aren't game to sit on it because of the dollar / baht signs going off in their heads if they tipped it over.

Mayby he's got one of these:

attachicon.gifindian-motorcycle.jpg

Nice bike though that's not what I ride. I have a 2011 Fatboy not that it matters but yea (insert Harley Bash comment here). And Suradit69 Your way out to left field. I have never seen any other person sit on my bike so what I can't say the truth? Hurts your feelings? I was just asking why people feel the need to sit on other bikes. In my case it's only been Indians I can't help it just trying to figure out why it's seen as acceptable to sit on a bike if it does not belong to you. You sure seem to be upset did someone chase you off their bike before?

• Like 2

I have this happen with my bike and the first time I saw it I was a little angry that someone would just come and sit on my bike but when I saw them taking photos, first with the kid and then with the dad, I just thought what the heck and didn't say anything to them. No Thais have done it yet but several Europeans. I think that it is a common occurrence if you have a large motorcycle.

• Like 2

Mayby he's got one of these:

attachicon.gifindian-motorcycle.jpg

Nice bike though that's not what I ride. I have a 2011 Fatboy not that it matters but yea (insert Harley Bash comment here). And Suradit69 Your way out to left field. I have never seen any other person sit on my bike so what I can't say the truth? Hurts your feelings? I was just asking why people feel the need to sit on other bikes. In my case it's only been Indians I can't help it just trying to figure out why it's seen as acceptable to sit on a bike if it does not belong to you. You sure seem to be upset did someone chase you off their bike before?

Suradit is just blethering from is high horse. If he (or she) would bother to come down and join us at a more realistic level he would see that many people from the same race/ country behave in a similar way. Apperantly Indians like to sit on expensive bikes. I noticed that when people talk to me about my bike the Indians are the only ones who almost always ask me about the price first before anything else. Just my own observations, same as the observations of the OP.

• Like 1

Park on the south side of Soi 6, which is the only side that you can park on. The beer bar girls will sit on your bike the whole time you are there because it gets them closer to the street, and closer to the potential customers.

I am at a loss for words.

Apparently not.

I suppose this little rant has been cathartic. It gave you an opportunity to get in a dig about Indians (nice show of restraint before naming them ) and, of course, someone managed to do a little Thai bashing, which is always a good way to massage a flabby ego.

Oh woe is me.

I guess if you feel the need to moan about the mobs of people from the ranks of the "lesser races" queuing up to sit on your impressive bikes, life can't be too bad.

Maybe we can start a contest to find the most ridiculous thing to moan about.

No point your post wins hats down!!

• Like 2

Put a little sign on your bike and say photos 10 baht.......that particular group will leave you alone. coffee1.gif

To the OP> I hope you did not intend to ride your bike after the "few beers" If you were, you were going to put other people in danger of their lives or serious injury.

maybe they are just hanging out hoping to catch a pic of you riding home pissed

Stopping for a meal and a beer means I get pissed? Don't ride drunk and I live in Bangkok so riding is a big enough challenge. But keep the speculation up if it makes you happy.

Scottythai, I do not want to fall out with you, but you said in your own words "a few beers" I apologise if it was only a figure of speech.

I have a kawasaki KLX650...not that "big" a bike & when I used to live on Phuket

some people used to sit on it quite a lot & yes..take photos. Why take photos of

a dirt bike I haven't a clue though. One day it was accidentally knocked over with

no real damage done except fpr a busted side mirror that was replaced by the oaf

who knocked it over who also offered me quite a lotta Sing's to drink too. After

that incident I would simply go up into the hills & get the bike all muddy & leave

the grime on....no more problems & the bike didn't mind being filthy cause that's

what it was meant to get...filthy dirty.

• Like 2

Park on the south side of Soi 6, which is the only side that you can park on. The beer bar girls will sit on your bike the whole time you are there because it gets them closer to the street, and closer to the potential customers.

Think yourself lucky you don't have a car and park it at the Nana Hotel carpark.

• Like 1

I am at a loss for words.

Apparently not.

I suppose this little rant has been cathartic. It gave you an opportunity to get in a dig about Indians (nice show of restraint before naming them ) and, of course, someone managed to do a little Thai bashing, which is always a good way to massage a flabby ego.

Oh woe is me.

I guess if you feel the need to moan about the mobs of people from the ranks of the "lesser races" queuing up to sit on your impressive bikes, life can't be too bad.

Maybe we can start a contest to find the most ridiculous thing to moan about.

I find thais think its perfectly ok to sit on big bikes and play with them like children.. Less so my 400 but my 900 I have come back to it to find a Thai guy twisting the throttle, flooding the carb, while making imaginary brum brum noises in his head playing Walter Mitty race driver a whole bunch of times. Like What the <deleted> do you think your doing ??

You DONT TOUCH another mans bike.. You dont get on it, you dont fiddle with it.. You just dont mess with things that are not yours.

Its not a pathetic nothing rant either.. I have come back, got on the bike set of up the road and when I grabbed a handful of front brake there was very little brake, the <deleted> had 'adjusted' my adjustable levers so the brakes almost didnt work.. Just the think on a 900 sportbike !! I have another time had someone turn my fuel tap from 'on' to reserve, as theres no fuel gague that means when you run out and switch to reserve, there isnt one..

• Like 2

Put a little sign on your bike and say photos 10 baht.......that particular group will leave you alone. coffee1.gif

Your comment reminded me of something that had happened back home 20 years ago. I was having a cofee along the seaside with a friend of mine, bike was parked 100 meters away near the road. I see a couple (looked like east european tourists) checking my bike and then taking photos of themselves with the bike. I turn to my friend and say to him in a joking fashion that at least they should pay some money for having their photo taken with my bike.. Later, returning to my bike I was shocked to find some money stashed in the pillion seat. laugh.png

• Like 1