Question About 400k Balance On Marriage Visa..

i've been reading a few threads over the past days about the 400k requirement for marriage visas and some of them seem to be little "horror stories", so i was wondering how it'll turn out when i get my extension in 1 month's time ...

assuming i have ~460k-480k in the account when applying for it, can i during this time take out money from that account as long as it doesn't drop below 400k or can that account not be touched at all? reason i'm wondering is i've seen that some people got their application for 1 year extension declined because the amounts currently in the account didn't match *exactly* the amounts that were in the account when they applied for the extension one month earlier...

:o

From my personal experience, please NEVER touch the amount once you have submitted it to the immigration. Don't ask for trouble. Make sure the amount tallys with that from the bank letter.

For me, I don't touch the money for the entire year even when the application is approved. I am doing this as so that the subsequent extension for next year will be easier.

I did the same for last year and I got my extension on the spot (1 year stamp) for this year

I was issued my second 12 month extension last week. I dont have the 400k baht in the bank. I work on the 40k baht per month to qualify for the extension. However I had about 60k baht in the bank when I applied for the extension and was also told not to touch it until the end of April. Well I did withdraw about half of that and was expecting the extension to be turned down. One month later I had the extension tucked away in my passport.

Normal usage should not be a problem. Even when it dips below 400k there is normally no question if not way below. You should be totally safe if the account remains above 400k. The person who reported problems that I recall had other factors that may have come into play, and the amount did indeed drop below the requirements before extension was issued (if we are thinking of the same post).

Do you have to prove the 400K was brought into Thailand from overseas?

We have just sold some property with the funds in a joint bank account, will that suffice?

Cheers.

Up to immigration officer. If you do not have a work permit and there are no other indications of any foreign input during the year I would be prepared to be questioned. But I would not bring it up until asked. And I would make a point of keeping account above 400k during review.

i brought my 400k from overseas in cash but don't have the exchange receipt anymore ...though i can show over 3M baht that came from overseas transfers in the past nearly two years i've been in Thailand, so i should have no issues explaining it came from there, i guess...

Normal usage should not be a problem. Even when it dips below 400k there is normally no question if not way below. You should be totally safe if the account remains above 400k. The person who reported problems that I recall had other factors that may have come into play, and the amount did indeed drop below the requirements before extension was issued (if we are thinking of the same post).

If it was my post you are referring to, there were no other factors - just the money factor. It went well below 400k because I didn't know I had to maintain it at 400K during the approval period. The Immigration Captain actually told me that all applicants must maintain at least 400K during the approval period, and I wouldn't recommend to anyone letting it go below that amount until your one year stamp is in your passport.

There was another thread where a guy got refused because he got his bank letter 5 days before he went to immigration, and the bank book and bank letter didn't tally, even though both were over 400K. He got refused, even though this was his third year renewal. He appealed to Bangkok immigration and was turned down and had to start again from scratch.

I honestly think that they make up the rules as they go along, and there is no doubt that many officers are antagonistic towards applicants for marriage visas. So stick to the letter of the law - and more so if possible.

If it was my post you are referring to, there were no other factors - just the money factor. It went well below 400k because I didn't know I had to maintain it at 400K during the approval period. The Immigration Captain actually told me that all applicants must maintain at least 400K during the approval period, and I wouldn't recommend to anyone letting it go below that amount until your one year stamp is in your passport.

There was another thread where a guy got refused because he got his bank letter 5 days before he went to immigration, and the bank book and bank letter didn't tally, even though both were over 400K. He got refused, even though this was his third year renewal. He appealed to Bangkok immigration and was turned down and had to start again from scratch.

I honestly think that they make up the rules as they go along, and there is no doubt that many officers are antagonistic towards applicants for marriage visas. So stick to the letter of the law - and more so if possible.

That, other post, is what I was thinking about. And if I recall correctly his account was below 400k during the review process. But the post I was answering picked up on just your first part of the two amounts that were above 400k not being the same. I do not believe that was the deciding factor or that most people will have a problem with it. But when they were different and a later check showed account well below 400k a decision was probably made to take action.

From my personal experience, please NEVER touch the amount once you have submitted it to the immigration. Don't ask for trouble. Make sure the amount tallys with that from the bank letter.

For me, I don't touch the money for the entire year even when the application is approved. I am doing this as so that the subsequent extension for next year will be easier.

Thai's not exat , every year I withdraw the money from my account also going of a lot under 400k, and every year I refill my account . But every year I got the extension without any kind of problems.

Therefore who maintains that going under the 400k takes some problems supports the forgery.

Obvious if they want to give some problems can find you 1000 excuses, but this is another speech.

You must not withdraw the money during the processing time although also on this point there are should be to discuss.

Because I don't believe that they check all the accounts . Maybe they performs some checks on the suspicions cases , but not wiht those automatism and the methodically as many people think.

I did the same for last year and I got my extension on the spot (1 year stamp) for this year

On this subject of money in the bank.

Is there any particular account the money has to be held ?

(Ie) There are such things as high interest fixed term accounts that pay a decent return.Obviusly the access to these accounts are restricted so may not be acceptable as regards to the funds supposedly there to support yourself for the coming year.Any comments on this ?

Also Sterling held accounts within Thailand,again pay a higher return,what about these ?

I think it is absolutely deplorable all this fuss is made to obtain the yearly extension.Thai's can settle in the UK without a bean to their name.They are able to work and after just 2 years can stay forever with no further worries.Why the hel_l do Thailand make bona fida retirees with family and commitments in Thailand jump through hoops every year and make us feel grateful at the end of it .

What happens in years to come when the amounts increases to say 1 million/ 2 million in the bank and someone who has been happily married with children ,a house and many long standing friends is told to leave the country.

This worries me i must say.

hwest

i think the amounts stay the same once you've extended...no matter if they increase in the future. i know someone who extended on i believe he said 200k and that's all he needs to show every year, even though its at 400k now.

i think the amounts stay the same once you've extended...no matter if they increase in the future. i know someone who extended on i believe he said 200k and that's all he needs to show every year, even though its at 400k now.

I think you may be incorrect. I suspect the guy who had 200K was also using proof of monthly income, in which case you only need 200k in the bank.

Although 'renewals' can go smoother and quicker than the original application (but not always, as some members have been refused after 2-3 years successful renewals), my understanding is that every year is effectively a new application, so I would think that if they raise the cash requirement it would apply to all who renew.

You are only a guest in Thailand - year by year. The visa is NON immigrant - NOT immigrant.

They can kick you out any time they feel like it. :o

TIT and they've got you by the BALLS! :D

hwest:

The account should be a baht passbook savings account (which is the local equivalent of a current account) as the money is to be used to support (wife or yourself/both). Money in any other type of account would be at the discretion of the immigration officer I believe.

You really believe any Thai can settle in the UK with no funds? They can't even visit without funds.

rainman:

The increase in retirement (when they changed to age 50) was grand fathered so those in the system prior to that time have lower requirements (there were two sets - one for age 60 and another for age 55). But the recent marriage requirement was not grand fathered so all have to meet the 400k requirement (believe it is assumed you are working on this extension so should have had an increase in income over the years to account for the new figure).

ok, that makes sense thanks a lot :o i heard somewhere that you don't need to meet the whole 400k on deposits in the bank alone, but you can show part of it from overseas income and part of it on deposits or something like that. so is it possible to show like 200k on the bank and 100k on regular monthly income? i can show this certified from my embassy on the "marriage application" as well as on my bank statements in thailand from the past 2 years, regularely every month. do you think that would work?

before asking here, i tried calling immigration in suan plu to confirm with them but they don't seem to pick up the phone on the non-imm visa extension line at any time during the day ...so hopefully someone here knows.

i can show this certified from my embassy on the "marriage application" as well as on my bank statements in thailand from the past 2 years, regularely every month. do you think that would work?

The wording for monthly income does not indicate that they would accept anything other than local work permit work payment so you will have to ask them. I never tried so can not say one way or the other. But I might question why you can not meet the yearly 400k bank requirement if you really have 100k per month income if I were sitting behind the desk. Remember you must pay tax on income that comes into Thailand.

Any income earned in the tax year that it enters Thailand seems to be the way it works. But that is subject to tax treaties that many countries have (which often exempts pension income) and there is currently no policy to question pension income of those in retirement extensions in any case. Do not believe it is an issue for most people; unless they try to be too creative.

Ok this I what I accomplished at Nong Kia, my first annual was as a single person, so 800K or 65 K in the bank. I didn't have the 800K, so it was based on my monthly income veriefed by my embassy. I sit up a Thia account and religiously placed 65K in it each month. I obtained a letter from my bank here stating where the funds from and what account. I uses the money in the account on a daily basis and put in the same amount each month. I got my one year annual issued. But I had to argue a bit to get it.

The way the law is written in the case of married is 400K from a source outside of Thailand placed in a Thai bank, per year. That can be a combination of funds put in the bank on a monthy basis, which is what I did, or 400k cash, or a combination of the two. You can infact use the funds to support your family needs that is what it is for. But never forget the totals have to match the 400K annual requirement or more.

Then other thing to keep in mind you can't just walk through the door and show them ATM slips to accomplish this. You have to follow thier guidelines and give them the documents that are acceptable to them, not what you think they should be.

It would be much easier just to show them the 400K although on my last renewal the particular immigration officer that I went to wanted both the 400k and the 40K a month. This is the same officer I took to task on the 800K requirement. Obvioulsy she didn't learn much from the first time through. My mistake I will not take my documents to her this year. I will officer shop. I must not have learned much from the encounter myself since I let her process my second application :o

It is better if you can jump through the hoops they want, but if not you can challenge the decision, if you believe the laws are not being followed. Try very hard to do it without making them lose face. Nong Kia has a sign posted stating or at least they did, if you didn't agree with the treatment you got you can ask to see the commander.

I to wish there was a simple way to obtain immigrant status. My understanding is you can apply for permanant residency after three year in the country, but it is expensive and really doesn't provide you with much more then the annual visa, as best as I can see.

But the thought of tying up all that you have worked for your entire life here, on the basis of being able to stay one year at a time, is a bit frightening

But the truth is we are guests, one of the reason why we can't own real property beyond a Condo.

America is very different in that aspect, you don't even have to live there to own businesses or property. Much more difficult to get in in the the first place then Thialand. Maybe that is why the Thai law is so different. But citizenship is pretty much a given after five years. Once you have your greencard and Social Security card you can work any place that would hire you. Once your in, the requirment as to proven income ect. is not nearly as difficult. You only have to prove support one time and there is no annual review.

I would imagine that every country is different.

Edited by ray23

hwest:

The account should be a baht passbook savings account (which is the local equivalent of a current account) as the money is to be used to support (wife or yourself/both). Money in any other type of account would be at the discretion of the immigration officer I believe.

You really believe any Thai can settle in the UK with no funds? They can't even visit without funds.

But if the thai is married with an english national he/she no needs funds, like as in the whole european union.

The way the law is written in the case of married is 400K from a source outside of Thailand placed in a Thai bank, per year.
Wrong!

Every time you apply, the balance must be not less than 400K. If you spend less than 400K during the year, it is sufficient to bring in enough funds to bring the balance again above 400K. (This has been written over a thousand times on this forum)

That can be a combination of funds put in the bank on a monthy basis, which is what I did, or 400k cash, or a combination of the two.
Wrong!

If you get your extension based on monthly pension income, it is sufficient to submit a letter from your embassy giving proof of this monthly income. How much you bring into Thailand during the year and at what intervals depends on how much you need to spend and the interval is at your own discretion. (This has been written over five hundred times on this forum)

--------------

Maestro

My 2nd 1 yr Non Imm visa expired last week and I mistakenly thought the 3 rd application was going to be a piece of cake.....WRONG. Ihad to make 3 trips to Maesai in 5 days even tho Iknew all the papers/ docs No of copies etc etc that were likely to need. The first time I forgot to bring my wife Ha Ha stupid me, second time the bank letter and eventually they managaed ti fill up 2 pages of my brand new passport with all the historical <deleted> from previous applications.

One point worth noting is the man there explained how every 2 years the Imm officials are changed in BKK and that is why our apps are no easier to process than originally.

Can someone explain how on earth they can know wots in ur bank once u've provided proof withbank letter and book. I've just withdrawn a substantial amount out and my app is not yet approved !!!!

OK Maistro, it may be all wrong, I'm just saying that it was exactly what I did, at Nong Kia. Now if another place will acccept it or not I have no idea. The next annual I get will be the third one with less then the required funds in the bank

We will find out again, next month just bought a house so there will be less then 400K in the bank when I apply. I asked immigration before I did this and was told no problem.

Nothing is ever that clear cut in Thailand and that is not wrong :o

Edited by ray23

hwest:

Oh yes 100% they do come to the UK with nothing and are welcomed.I know a number of Thai ladies who came to England without any personal capital.The fact that they have a guarantee from their spouse with regards to his income and property negates any need for them to show personal funds.Indeed even on a tourist visa as long as the sponser shows adequate means of support there is no problem with getting into the UK.The one stumbling block is need to return to Thailand.Difficult to prove if no land or business.

Hwest

hwest:

Oh yes 100% they do come to the UK with nothing and are welcomed.I know a number of Thai ladies who came to England without any personal capital.The fact that they have a guarantee from their spouse with regards to his income and property negates any need for them to show personal funds.Indeed even on a tourist visa as long as the sponser shows adequate means of support there is no problem with getting into the UK.The one stumbling block is need to return to Thailand.Difficult to prove if no land or business.

Hwest

Someone has to support. Here it is the male. In the UK it is the UK citizen. If you are a foreign female you have to meet requirements the same as would be the case in the UK. If you are a foreign male you are the one who must prove means of support - sounds reasonable to me. If Thailand used the UK system a foreign male could not live here unless the wife could show support (home/etc).

My 2nd 1 yr Non Imm visa expired last week and I mistakenly thought the 3 rd application was going to be a piece of cake.....WRONG. Ihad to make 3 trips to Maesai in 5 days even tho Iknew all the papers/ docs No of copies etc etc that were likely to need. The first time I forgot to bring my wife Ha Ha stupid me, second time the bank letter and eventually they managaed ti fill up 2 pages of my brand new passport with all the historical <deleted> from previous applications.

One point worth noting is the man there explained how every 2 years the Imm officials are changed in BKK and that is why our apps are no easier to process than originally.

Can someone explain how on earth they can know wots in ur bank once u've provided proof withbank letter and book. I've just withdrawn a substantial amount out and my app is not yet approved !!!!

You forgot your wife? :o

The call the bank to check during the review process if they have any doubt.

i can show this certified from my embassy on the "marriage application" as well as on my bank statements in thailand from the past 2 years, regularely every month. do you think that would work?

The wording for monthly income does not indicate that they would accept anything other than local work permit work payment so you will have to ask them. I never tried so can not say one way or the other. But I might question why you can not meet the yearly 400k bank requirement if you really have 100k per month income if I were sitting behind the desk. Remember you must pay tax on income that comes into Thailand.

actually i do have over 400k in the bank account right now, but i'd rather do something in thailand with these funds than have them sit in an account and transfer another 400k over at the bad exchange rate right now..so that was just a thought, but i guess its safer then to just show the 400k ..

i've been in thailand for 2+ years and had offshore income (i'm VP of one company, board member in another, plus stocks) during this entire time which was transferred here every month and of course spent in thailand as well. i dont think i need to pay taxes for this since i was on a tourist visa? will this change once i'm on a non-imm O marriage visa or...? i'm confused now.

:o

The way the law is written in the case of married is 400K from a source outside of Thailand placed in a Thai bank, per year.
Wrong!

Every time you apply, the balance must be not less than 400K. If you spend less than 400K during the year, it is sufficient to bring in enough funds to bring the balance again above 400K. (This has been written over a thousand times on this forum)

Actually I have and only 2 times have I had 400,000 baht or more in the bank and I have always been granted an extension.

That can be a combination of funds put in the bank on a monthy basis, which is what I did, or 400k cash, or a combination of the two.
Wrong!

If you get your extension based on monthly pension income, it is sufficient to submit a letter from your embassy giving proof of this monthly income. How much you bring into Thailand during the year and at what intervals depends on how much you need to spend and the interval is at your own discretion. (This has been written over five hundred times on this forum)

--------------

Maestro

[/color]Again I have applied 5 times using a combination of a monthly pension and a balance in the bank and each time it has been granted.

I suspect that you may even be able to write your own letter stating any amount and take it to the embassy for a letter to be written and nobody at the embassy ever checks but just writes a letter confirming what the letter you supply actually says.

So in September I will be off to Suan Phlu again for another renewal with and hopefully it will be OK again.